PDA

View Full Version : Roy williams get his revenge

vapacersfan
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
from ESPN this morning and also http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2013020935_nfl29.html

Quote:
The bill came due for Dez Bryant's refusal to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads in <NOBR>training (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#)</NOBR> camp, and the rookie was stuck with the Cowboys' tab at a local steakhouse Monday night.

Williams got his revenge to the tune of a whopping $54,896 tab at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. Bryant invited the offensive players out, and Williams told the defense to come along as well. In a scene out of Richard Pryor classic Brewter's Millions, players ordered everything on the menu and went on to take home bottles of wine. "They got the young fella," said Bryant's adviser. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Dallas Cowboys veterans stuck rookie receiver Dez Bryant with the dinner bill Monday and it came to almost $55,000.

By McClatchy Newspapers and The Associated Press

IRVING, Texas How much is it worth to you to not carry a pair of shoulder pads?

Well, for Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant, it was just under $55,000.

Remember the highly publicized incident in training camp when receiver Bryant refused to carry the pads of veteran Roy Williams in a traditional ritual that is an annual rite of passage on most NFL teams?

Williams promised Bryant would pay one way or another, and specifically pointed to a time when the rookie took the veterans out to dinner. Williams said he would be extra hungry and extra thirsty.

Payback time came Monday night at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. Bryant was supposed to take a small group of offensive players out to dinner. A few more hungry souls including defensive players showed up.

The final tab was $54,896.

Most.expensive.shoulder.pads.ever

I understand it's part of the game, but I find that to be completely ridiculous. From what I've heard, that restaurant sells bottles of wine for as much as $9,000 a bottle. That's outrageous entirely by itself, but to go and order it because someone else is picking up the tab or to "haze" a rookie is just being an ******* IMO.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd be pissed if I was Bryant. That's a lot of money.

Since86
09-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know what I would do.

One thing is for damn certain, I wouldn't buy them a freaking thing and if that means they ask to borrow $10 at McDonalds I would tell them to go screw themselves.

vapacersfan
09-29-2010, 05:23 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/zk37a0.jpg

Natston
09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Anyone have the bill the Colts ran up on last year? I can't find it anywhere... twss

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know what I would do.

One thing is for damn certain, I wouldn't buy them a freaking thing and if that means they ask to borrow $10 at McDonalds I would tell them to go screw themselves.

yes me to that is dumb to spend that much on food almost 1k for a cheese burger wow. They win won game celebrate like it is the superbowl lol.

vapacersfan
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
It had nothing to do with celebrating, but everything to do with "hazing" because he would not carry shoulderpads.

I hate crap like this, and I am a REDSKINS fan. Stupid on so many levels, I hope it tears the team apart big time.....

xBulletproof
09-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd take every one of them to small claims court for their part of the bill.

Not even kidding.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 11:11 PM
If the whole team was there it's 1k a head, which is beyond absurd.

If it was half the team it's closer to 2k a head.

Total it's the price of a decently equipped Audi/BMW/Mercedes. It's a joke. The whole team should be ashamed, especially the fact that some of these guys seem proud they ran up that sort of bill.

I actually feel bad for Dez Bryant.

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 11:17 PM
If the whole team was there it's 1k a head, which is beyond absurd.

If it was half the team it's closer to 2k a head.

Total it's the price of a decently equipped Audi/BMW/Mercedes. It's a joke. The whole team should be ashamed, especially the fact that some of these guys seem proud they ran up that sort of bill.

I actually feel bad for Dez Bryant.

dont fee bad for Dez lol he has plenty of money. But it is absured. When Chad Ochocinco took 60+ people out for dinner it only cost him 8k lol i thoght that was absurd

HC
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM
It had nothing to do with celebrating, but everything to do with "hazing" because he would not carry shoulderpads.

I hate crap like this, and I am a REDSKINS fan. Stupid on so many levels, I hope it tears the team apart big time.....

Of all the things that could tear apart the Dallas Cowboys, this doesn't even make the cut.

Trader Joe
09-30-2010, 12:57 PM
dont fee bad for Dez lol he has plenty of money. But it is absured. When Chad Ochocinco took 60+ people out for dinner it only cost him 8k lol i thoght that was absurd

$55,000 is a lot of money unless you're making 8+ figures a year. Dez Bryant is not.

Basketball Fan
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Melvin Bullitt was interviewed about this on JMV(or maybe Dakich) whatever and he said that he'd have filed a lawsuit over this.. NFL $$$ doesn't last not everyone gets paid like the QB does.

grace
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Note to self: if you don't want to get stuck with a rediculously huge bill don't take people to a restaurant with a 80+ page wine list.

vapacersfan
09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Roy Williams defensive about dinner

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5633986&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5633986&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

IRVING, Texas -- The $55,000 feast paid for by Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) rookie Dez Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13215) is somewhat of a sensitive subject for fellow wide receiver Roy Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5532).

A question about the dinner resulted in a lengthy response from Williams, who wanted to make it clear that he wasn't primarily responsible for running up the bill Monday night at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse. Williams also felt the need to stress -- again -- that he doesn't have a strained relationship with the rookie receiver who refused to carry his pads during training camp.

"I don't understand why my name is associated with this whole ordeal," Williams said of the dinner. "I mean, it's the same offensive dinner that we've been doing, that every team does in the NFL. So I don't know why my name is the single name in this thing.

"I have nothing against Dez; Dez has nothing against me. Like I said in training camp, I don't want you guys to bang our heads together and try to make us hate each other. That's not going to work.

"He didn't take my pads. Whoop-de-doo. He didn't take my pads. But he's still out there as a punt returner, catching balls and doing things he needs to do, and I'm doing things I need to do to make this team better. So don't associate me with being the bad guy with Dez, and Dez being the bad guy with me, because that's not what it is."

It's understandable that Williams wants to make it clear that there is no animosity between him and Bryant, the Cowboys' first-round pick.

But Williams, who recalls splitting a $10,000 check with fellow first-round pick Kevin Jones (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5555) as a Lions rookie in 2004, did vow during camp that he'd be extra hungry and extra thirsty when he ate at Bryant's expense.

So was that the case?

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was," Williams said with a laugh. "I ain't ate in two days. I'm good."

Bryant, who didn't practice this week due to a bruised hip, has not been available for comment since the meal.

Stryder
09-30-2010, 05:48 PM
What if he said no, I'm not paying?

xBulletproof
09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
What if he said no, I'm not paying?

If everyone else bailed and left him there holding the check, then the restaurant will call the police if he refuses. It's what I imagine happened.

Stryder
09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
If everyone else bailed and left him there holding the check, then the restaurant will call the police if he refuses. It's what I imagine happened.

Is he that oblivious that he didn't see any or ALL of the team leaving the restaurant? Weird. Why wouldn't he have walked out with the rest of them? Odd.

Stryder
09-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Also, the steak place has crazy names for their food items. Plus, they have RC cola! :). Is that for real?

xBulletproof
09-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Is he that oblivious that he didn't see any or ALL of the team leaving the restaurant? Weird. Why wouldn't he have walked out with the rest of them? Odd.

It doesn't take being oblivious. It takes not wanting to be a criminal, and having a lot of jackasses willing to leave you standing there holding the check.

SoupIsGood
09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Williams is an idiot. Like someone else said I would've tried taking him to court--no idea how or if it'd be worth it, but it shouldn't be OK to stick someone with a dinner bill equal to a middle-class salary.

vapacersfan
09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Williams is an idiot. Like someone else said I would've tried taking him to court--no idea how or if it'd be worth it, but it shouldn't be OK to stick someone with a dinner bill equal to a middle-class salary.

I just helped someone file a claim in small claims court today.

Its chump change (I think we paid $35) to file a claim, and if the person never shows up a lien(sp?) is placed on their property and they can not sell it until they have paid off there respective debts.

Now it is a bit excessive to file 55 claims? Sure, but I bet it would get his point across.

Then again, that would probably just **** people off (which I would say who cares but I have NEVER participated in hazing, even when I was rushing for my fraternity) and they would probably just haze him another way.