PDA

View Full Version : A good reading about our PFs

Trophy
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100929/SPORTS04/9290326/With-Murphy-gone-candidates-line-up-to-grab-power-forward-starting-spot

The Indiana Pacers are putting the "power" back in power forward.

That means no more trailing 3-pointers from above the key, a Troy Murphy trademark. Murphy's gone, traded in the offseason, so the days of power forwards shooting 300 3-pointers are over.

This season, expect a more traditional look.

The Pacers want their power forward to sprint the court and attack the rim. They want him to bang around in the post. Spot-up jumpers will come from 15 feet, not 24.

Who that blue-collar player will be is anybody's guess.

"I think all of our bigs will have an opportunity at playing time," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I think it's open. We're not going to be a 3-point shooting team at the position because we don't have a Troy Murphy anymore."

Josh McRoberts, Tyler Hansbrough, Jeff Foster, Solomon Jones and Magnum Rolle are candidates. Danny Granger also will play some at the position when O'Brien goes with a small lineup.

Hansbrough is viewed as the future but is working himself into shape after missing most of his rookie season. O'Brien said he'd start McRoberts if the season opened today, but quickly pointed out that the regular season is four weeks away.

"Coach said that spot is open," McRoberts said. "I feel good. I feel like I put in the time and the work over the summer and I deserve the opportunity. I'm excited."

For a look at the candidates besides Hansbrough, see page C4

--

GOOD START: O'Brien happy with players' conditioning. C3Josh McRoberts

Why? An energizing player who gets the fans involved with his above-the-rim play, hustle plays and passing ability. O'Brien likes how he and center Roy Hibbert play off each other.

Why not? He's limited offensively and the coaches want him to take open 3-pointers, even though he has made only 23.5 percent from that range.The other candidatesJeff Foster

Why? Relentless rebounder and smart defender who doesn't need the ball to be effective. Still the Pacers' best blue-collar worker despite being 33.

Why not? Is coming off back surgery, and the Pacers need somebody to back up Hibbert. Very limited offensively.POWER FORWARD OPTIONS: Tyler Hansbrough

Why? He's the team's power forward of the future and most physical presence. At 6-9 and a muscular 240 pounds with just 8 percent body fat, he isn't afraid to mix it up with anybody in the post. Last season, former Pacer Stephen Jackson complained Hansbrough was better suited for rugby than hoops. He's by far the best offensive player in the group.

Why not? He is basically a rookie still after playing in only 29 games last season because of vertigo. He has a mid-range game but still has difficulty getting his shot off in the paint against taller opponents.Solomon Jones

Why? Runs the floor well and O'Brien likes him because he's good at setting "random" picks in their passing game offense.

Why not? He has the ability to be a rotation player but doesn't always play to his potential. Magnum Rolle

Why? Very athletic and shoots the midrange jump shot well, which is vital in O'Brien's system since the big men often play around the foul line.

Why not? Needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room to get stronger. Struggles defending the post, an expected issue for a rookie.

Josh McRoberts

Why? An energizing player who gets the fans involved with his above-the-rim play, hustle plays and passing ability. O'Brien likes how he and center Roy Hibbert play off each other.

Why not? He's limited offensively and the coaches want him to take open 3-pointers, even though he has made only 23.5 percent from that range.

The other candidatesJeff Foster

Why? Relentless rebounder and smart defender who doesn't need the ball to be effective. Still the Pacers' best blue-collar worker despite being 33.

Why not? Is coming off back surgery, and the Pacers need somebody to back up Hibbert. Very limited offensively.

POWER FORWARD OPTIONS: Tyler Hansbrough

Why? He's the team's power forward of the future and most physical presence. At 6-9 and a muscular 240 pounds with just 8 percent body fat, he isn't afraid to mix it up with anybody in the post. Last season, former Pacer Stephen Jackson complained Hansbrough was better suited for rugby than hoops. He's by far the best offensive player in the group.

Why not? He is basically a rookie still after playing in only 29 games last season because of vertigo. He has a mid-range game but still has difficulty getting his shot off in the paint against taller opponents.

Solomon Jones

Why? Runs the floor well and O'Brien likes him because he's good at setting "random" picks in their passing game offense.

Why not? He has the ability to be a rotation player but doesn't always play to his potential.

Magnum Rolle

Why? Very athletic and shoots the midrange jump shot well, which is vital in O'Brien's system since the big men often play around the foul line.

Why not? Needs to spend a lot of time in the weight room to get stronger. Struggles defending the post, an expected issue for a rookie.

Peck
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
http://tribalinsight.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/i-want-to-believe.jpg

I want so bad for this to be true but sadly I have to take a wait and see approach.

MillerTime
09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Take a look at our PFs: McRoberts, Rolle, Hansbrough, Soloman Jones....None of these should be a starting in the league (Hansbrough has a chance, but hes basically still a rookie and hasnt proven anything).

Granger's natural position is SF, thats why I didnt add him in the list.

Unless we plan to go small and leave Granger at full time PF (like Stan Van Gundy does with Lewis), we're basically really screwed that the PF position.

CableKC
09-29-2010, 01:04 PM
The Pacers want their power forward to sprint the court and attack the rim. They want him to bang around in the post. Spot-up jumpers will come from 15 feet, not 24.
When it comes to distance on the Basketball court, I'm clueless. Question....how far away is 15 feet from the basket?

Is that near and around the FT line?

dgranger17
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm happy with our PF's. With Collison, Hibbert, Granger, and whatever 2 guard we have on the court, we don't need a scorer at the 4. We need energy, hustle, and defense. Tyler and Josh will bang, crash the glass, and be relentless as hell trying not to let their guy score. Murphy was a great player, but he didn't fit what the Pacers needed. The Handy Man and McBeast may not be your prototypical "starting NBA power forward," but they will fit in on our team and help us make the playoffs.

We gave up 103.8 points per game last year. With Hansbrough and McRoberts at the 4 instead of Murphy, I see that going down. I also see our second chance points vastly improving because we'll have a power forward around the paint to collect any misses we have.

43-38 or better... you can count on it.

AREAAAAAAAAAAA FIFTYFIVEEEEEEEEEEE

Peck
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Take a look at our PFs: McRoberts, Rolle, Hansbrough, Soloman Jones....None of these should be a starting in the league (Hansbrough has a chance, but hes basically still a rookie and hasnt proven anything).

Unless we plan to go small and leave Granger at full time PF (like Stan Van Gundy does with Lewis), we're basically really screwed that the PF position.

Depends on what we want/need at the 4 position.

Yes, none of the above are going to strike fear in the hearts of opposition when it comes to having to stop them on offense but not every position on the floor has to be a dominate scoring threat.

As long as they defend, rebound, score when they can and not let their opponent dominate them in any of the above categories I see no reason why the group can not be successful going into the season.

In fact if Tyler stays healthy and gets his stamina and conditioning back I think he might cause fear in some of his opponents because they will not like the physical nature of his play.

MillerTime
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Depends on what we want/need at the 4 position.

Yes, none of the above are going to strike fear in the hearts of opposition when it comes to having to stop them on offense but not every position on the floor has to be a dominate scoring threat.

As long as they defend, rebound, score when they can and not let their opponent dominate them in any of the above categories I see no reason why the group can not be successful going into the season.

In fact if Tyler stays healthy and gets his stamina and conditioning back I think he might cause fear in some of his opponents because they will not like the physical nature of his play.

Asking someone to defend, rebound and score when they can is asking a lot more than you would imagine. I could see JMac as a decent rebounder and decent defender. But other than that, I would see almost all of our PFs getting dominated in those above mentioned categories.

I totally agree with your comment about Tyler...but to me Tyler seems like an unknown. We dont know what we're going to get from him yet. I truly hope he turns into that PF we need and can use.

Trophy
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM

I think Tyler is gonna be a really good starting PF for us in the future.

Although the position is full of young guys and they haven't fully made a mark in the league, they're all talented and can really help. They also have all the skills a man needs in order to have a strong impact on the team.

Pacers#1Fan
09-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Having five offensive minded players in your starting lineup typically isn't a good thing. IMO you want at very least one scrappy, hard-nosed, defensive minded player that is effective without the ball. Someone to crash the glass, dive for loose balls, and set punishing screens. A general physical presence. I see Psycho T as being that player in the future. Truthfully, Tyler's offense isn't terrible. When teams collapse on Roy down low I'm very comfortable with Tyler being down there for Roy to dish out to and have faith he'll finish. We might not see this right away but basising this off what he did in N.C. and the games he played as a rookie I can see Tyler being this player in the (fairly) near future.

MillerTime
09-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Tyler is gonna be a really good starting PF for us in the future.

Although the position is full of young guys and they haven't fully made a mark in the league, they're all talented and can really help. They also have all the skills a man needs in order to have a strong impact on the team.

The thing with Tyler is that hes only played 29 games on an average of 17.6 mins/game. I think hes too early to label Tyler a really food starting PF. When I think of really good starting PFs, I think of Duncan.

I dont think our PFs are talented at all. Calling JMac and Soloman talented might be an overstatement. JMac has that energy that most teams look for. We're blessed to have that in him. But I wouldnt say that hes talented compared to other PFs in the league

MillerTime
09-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Having five offensive minded players in your starting lineup typically isn't a good thing. IMO you want at very least one scrappy, hard-nosed, defensive minded player that is effective without the ball. Someone to crash the glass, dive for loose balls, and set punishing screens. A general physical presence. I see Psycho T as being that player in the future. Truthfully, Tyler's offense isn't terrible. When teams collapse on Roy down low I'm very comfortable with Tyler being down there for Roy to dish out to and have faith he'll finish. We might not see this right away but basising this off what he did in N.C. and the games he played as a rookie I can see Tyler being this player in the (fairly) near future.

Exactly....Just how the Pistons had Ben Wallace....and how the Bulls had Rodman. They are different types of players, but they are needed. They are what the other teams fear

A player you love playing with, but hate playing against

IndyPacer
09-29-2010, 02:05 PM
If Hansbrough is indeed healthy, I have no problem with him starting for us until an upgrade is available. I feel pretty good about Hibbert being paired with either Hansbrough or McRoberts. I am happy enough for now knowing that Hibbert isn't alone inside anymore, which was a situation that contributed to his high number of fouls.

Peck
09-29-2010, 02:35 PM
The thing with Tyler is that hes only played 29 games on an average of 17.6 mins/game. I think hes too early to label Tyler a really food starting PF. When I think of really good starting PFs, I think of Duncan.
I dont think our PFs are talented at all. Calling JMac and Soloman talented might be an overstatement. JMac has that energy that most teams look for. We're blessed to have that in him. But I wouldnt say that hes talented compared to other PFs in the league

Good?

The player considered the greatest PF of all time by many people you consider good? What do you consider great then?

No, obviously none of our players are of the Duncan caliber but then again how many teams can say that they have a Duncan caliber player?

MillerTime
09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Good?

The player considered the greatest PF of all time by many people you consider good? What do you consider great then?

No, obviously none of our players are of the Duncan caliber but then again how many teams can say that they have a Duncan caliber player?

My bad, I shouldnt have used Duncan as an example. I should have used someone like Bosh

bphil
09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Someone needs to sit Tyler down and make him watch this over and over and over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiVs2SInCY

That's what this team needs.

Brad8888
09-29-2010, 02:53 PM
When it comes to distance on the Basketball court, I'm clueless. Question....how far away is 15 feet from the basket?

Is that near and around the FT line?

The distance from the foul line to the backboard is 15'. The height of the rim is 10'. The length of the court is 94' long, 50' wide, and the distance to the three point arc is 23' 9", tapering to 22' along the sidelines where continuation of the arc at 23' 9" would leave no space for players to stand in to shoot 3's. Three feet along the sidelines isn't much to work with, but it is significantly more than the 1' 3" that would remain in the corners if the arc were a perfect semicircle.

This statement likely indicates activity in the midrange, loosely defined as the area between the lane / paint and the arc, with a likely focus off of the "elbows", which are the spots where the foul lines intersect with the sides of the lane / paint, and the distance between the paint and the arc is greater.

Hope this helps.

Peck
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
My bad, I shouldnt have used Duncan as an example. I should have used someone like Bosh

Not trying to pick nits here but again Bosh is an all-star. Is your criteria for being a good player being an all-star?

How about a good servicable player?

Do we have to have an all-star at the position?

d_c
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Good?

I'd also make the argument that Duncan hasn't played PF since 2003.

Trophy
09-29-2010, 04:23 PM

I don't know what you mean when you say that they're not talented?

I think every single player out there is talented.

In the few games last season, Tyler appears to be a really good offensive post player and brings energy. His defense isn't terrible, but it can use work.

Josh's talent is rediculously underrated. Given the minutes, he's an offensive beast. He's never afraid to drive in for a one handed dunk. He can also nail a 3-pointer or 2 when he attempts once in a while. So how can anyone say he's not talented if they watch him play.

Even Solomon Jones is talented. Although he probably won't be here going into this season, he has the ability to block shots.

It's too early to determine what Magnum can do for us, but he looked pretty good and effective in the Summer League.

So, it doesn't take a team with All-Star PFs to be successful. It takes players who have the heart and skill to play the big man position.

Not every player can be as talented as Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, or Kevin Garnett.

Pacers4Life
09-29-2010, 05:06 PM
that bill laimbeer video was AWESOME..
I still hope it McBob starting. Im a huge fan, hes like 2 years older than me. Ive seen him since HS.. And i still remember watching the Houston Rockets game last year. Sick jams. Fine D. The shot was falling... And i still think he may have had the assist of the year for the pacers in that game. LET THE MAN PLAY!

Pacers4Life
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
well looooky heeere... And yes WE ALL KNOW that some of these things occurred during garbage mins but thats not the point. These are his skills. I think they will work beautifullly.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/66kBndG96PA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/66kBndG96PA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

vnzla81
09-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Here is what I want Mcbob to be like, they have the same body type, same athleticism and are not as good in the offensive end, is this too much to ask?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DppKEu9Otr8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DppKEu9Otr8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Pacers4Life
09-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Here is what I want Mcbob to be like, they have the same body type, same athleticism and are not as good in the offensive end, is this too much to ask?

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DppKEu9Otr8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

No.

MLB007
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Someone needs to sit Tyler down and make him watch this over and over and over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiVs2SInCY

That's what this team needs.

Laimbeer was NOT a bad ***. he was a kind of, sort of, 2nd class tough guy.
Much more famous for flopping and cheap shots than he was downright toughness.
Tyler can do better.

MLB007
09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Not trying to pick nits here but again Bosh is an all-star. Is your criteria for being a good player being an all-star?

How about a good servicable player?

Do we have to have an all-star at the position?

I see a lot of that from fans here.
Wanting an allstar at every position.
NOW! :)
This team is coming out of the basement.
Good players at a few postions, ok players at others.
Gotta walk before you can run. ;)

MLB007
09-29-2010, 06:26 PM
No.

I have Ty can be a LOT more of a factor than a role bench player. :eek:

CableKC
09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
This statement likely indicates activity in the midrange, loosely defined as the area between the lane / paint and the arc, with a likely focus off of the "elbows", which are the spots where the foul lines intersect with the sides of the lane / paint, and the distance between the paint and the arc is greater.

Hope this helps.
When it came to Hibbert and Foster, isn't this where they took their midrange jumpbers before?

I recall seeing this frequently as I would usually question why our Low Post scorer was no where near the Low-Post but at or near the FT line taking a jumpshot.

If this is the case...then...technically....isn't this what we have seen from our Center over the last couple of years?

BRushWithDeath
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM
McRoberts is already better than Birdman.

He just doesn't have Birdman's gimmicks.

vnzla81
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
McRoberts is already better than Birdman.

He just doesn't have Birdman's gimmicks.

Are you sure about that? I like Mcbob but saying that he is better than Birdman is a bit of an stretch IMO.

edit: I think he could be better but he is not better now

BRushWithDeath
09-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Are you sure about that? I like Mcbob but saying that he is better than Birdman is a bit of an stretch IMO.

edit: I think he could be better but he is not better now

I'm sure. You take off the tats and the stupid hair and it isn't even a discussion.