PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 Training Camp Highlights

Day-V
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/09/28/camphighlights100928-1425556/index.html

Here's a vid of the first scrimmage. Second play has McBob chucking a 3....

rel
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
hopin' to see more from hibbert, didn't really standout much

from the little i saw from paul, he looked good, played some good D

Deadshot
09-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I saw 2 long McRoberts jumpers in the first two minutes. Solo had a really nice move against Roy as well.

31andonly
09-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Who's the blonde guy (No. 4)? And who's No. 15?

Day-V
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Who's the blonde guy (No. 4)? And who's No. 15?

I assume the blonde guy is Lance Allred.

#15 is Magnum.

Deadshot
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Lance Allred and Magnum Rolle.

Sookie
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I saw two typical TJ moves as within the first two minutes as well...supposedly he played well today though.

Pacerfan
09-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Liked Roy's passing...loved the pass darren sent in to Roy right by the basket..hopefully its a sign of things to come.

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
My initial take is that we are seeing more of the same old same old, but what should I, or anyone else, expect in that this was the very first official practice that this group of players has ever played together, and there has been absolutely no chance for anything to have been done from a coaching standpoint other than to let the guys play street ball to get slightly familiar with what they like to do on the court and introduce themselves to each other as players instead of people.

Hopefully Walton is still available. Roy needs lots more work unless they happened to pick the parts of the scrimmage that he looked the worst and that he was the least involved in offensively. He got pushed away from the rim as opposed to being able to attack it, just like he always has, and that was disappointing. But, it is still exceptionally early and impossible to tell until we see the first preseason game.

Stephenson is a scorer, and George looks like he might be able to defend.

Granger appeared to move well.

Dunleavy looked pretty good overall from an energy and awareness standpoint, and Foster did, too.

McRoberts did OK, but mostly seemed to be a non-factor, especially when matching up against Foster.

I need to re-watch this video to glean anything else from it.

I look forward to seeing what everybody else thinks.

Sookie
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Darren had a really good pass (the one to Roy), he's energetic too.

Lance couldn't get by AJ (not really a good sign, considering AJ's still slightly gimpy) and didn't even try to get passed Darren. (Meanwhile Darren could go where ever the heck he wants) I think his quickness will be a (well another) problem at the point. On the other hand, I'm sure he could punish both of them physically, and score that way. Regardless..if he's still here, we should stop the PG fantasy unless we need him as a third PG. (aka, we trade Ford)

I thought Solo looked good. Better than Josh.

Also, Hibbert didn't look as bad second time viewing. He scored a few times and got at least one rebound, he just had that terrible shot against Solo.

Josh made a three. Great Josh. Let's not encourage JOB, kay thx.

Darren and TJ both look fast, difference was I didn't see Darren do anything stupid.

Infinite MAN_force
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
No Tyler?

vnzla81
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
No Tyler?

he is in the beginning of the video(#50) he is the one that runs kind of weird :D

he is the one blocking Collisons (I think)

edit: By the way TJ has not change he is still the same guy.

Sookie
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
he is in the beginning of the video he is the one that runs kind of weird :D

No helmet? :laugh:

MyFavMartin
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Liked Tyler spacing the court early and the quick run back on defense that led to a block. Looks like our PGs want to run the PnR with Foster or Solo, but maybe they should get a different partner. Roy looks good and like Josh's activity on the low block. Both need to use some more power under the basket.

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I saw 2 long McRoberts jumpers in the first two minutes. Solo had a really nice move against Roy as well.

Wait,

Didnt Obie say in his press confrence that McBob doesnt have to shot, in fact that he will not be judged on that

Obie= The great politician

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Darren had a really good pass (the one to Roy), he's energetic too.

Lance couldn't get by AJ (not really a good sign, considering AJ's still slightly gimpy) and didn't even try to get passed Darren. (Meanwhile Darren could go where ever the heck he wants) I think his quickness will be a (well another) problem at the point. On the other hand, I'm sure he could punish both of them physically, and score that way. Regardless..if he's still here, we should stop the PG fantasy unless we need him as a third PG. (aka, we trade Ford)

I thought Solo looked good. Better than Josh.

Also, Hibbert didn't look as bad second time viewing. He scored a few times and got at least one rebound, he just had that terrible shot against Solo.

Josh made a three. Great Josh. Let's not encourage JOB, kay thx.

Darren and TJ both look fast, difference was I didn't see Darren do anything stupid.

Never miss an opportunity to zing lance huh?

Im just kidding :)

Sookie
09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Never miss an opportunity to zing lance huh?

Im just kidding :)

I don't think calling him a shooting guard is zinging him. :P

And Josh shooting threes just means that Josh isn't stupid. He knows what his playing time comes down to.:laugh:

daschysta
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Wait,

Didnt Obie say in his press confrence that McBob doesnt have to shot, in fact that he will not be judged on that

Obie= The great politician

I also saw him being active on the inside and playing nice defense. Also you have no basis to assume he is being "judged" on the 3. He took one three pointer and made it, woopie. He has put alot of work into that shot, he is going to use it from time to time regardless of whether the coach requires him to or not.

I don't think one made 3 pointer warrants judgement of JOB, some people just hate him so much that they are going to criticize anything he does, or blame any players choice on him.

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't think calling him a shooting guard is zinging him. :P

And Josh shooting threes just means that Josh isn't stupid. He knows what his playing time comes down to.:laugh:

No wories but I was talking about this quote in particular

Lance couldn't get by AJ (not really a good sign, considering AJ's still slightly gimpy) and didn't even try to get passed Darren

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
did any one here what Mike wells on JMV he said that they arent running any PnR and collison wont have the ball in his hands a lot. i think it is a mistake by JOB thoght he said he would use his players strong points. i hate JOB

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I also saw him being active on the inside and playing nice defense. Also you have no basis to assume he is being "judged" on the 3. He took one three pointer and made it, woopie. He has put alot of work into that shot, he is going to use it from time to time regardless of whether the coach requires him to or not.

I don't think one made 3 pointer warrants judgement of JOB, some people just hate him so much that they are going to criticize anything he does, or blame any players choice on him.

I am referring to Obies press confrence where he said "Josh will not be judged on shooting, but rebounding and defense and blocked shots, in fact Josh wont answer to any staff memeber about shooting" (paraphrasing).

It almost seemed as if Obie was making a point to say that.

Then in the scrimmage we see Josh firing up long jumpers and three's

So in essence, I dont believe Obie when he says that Josh shouldnt worry about shooting , as evidence by the scrimmage

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 06:11 PM
did any one here what Mike wells on JMV he said that they arent running any PnR and collison wont have the ball in his hands a lot. i think it is a mistake by JOB thoght he said he would use his players strong points. i hate JOB

That would be a big mistake, so I hope not

DC excelled in PNR situations last year

MillerTime
09-28-2010, 06:13 PM
we look soooo sloppy put there. I am not liking JMac (McRoberts) shooting all those 3's

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:13 PM
2:05 hope to see that a lot this year D not by DC to hibbert

vnzla81
09-28-2010, 06:15 PM
My observations:

Paul George: seems to be long and strong, Dunleavy can't even pass trough the guy.

Tyler: looks healthy and in the beginning of the video he looks aggressive and even got to block a shot.

Foster: looks healthy.

Hibbert: looks fit, not sure if this is bad or good (I like my centers to have some weight to move people around) he is running quicker.

TJ: same old guy, he jumps and lose the ball like always

Dunleavy: same old guy.

Mcbob: he looks out of control and is shooting way too much from outside

Solo: he looks decent but we already know who he is.

Brandon Rush: looks agressive, eveytime he gets the ball wants to go inside(I like that)

Collison: he knows were everybody is, he is as quick as TJ but in more control.

AJ price: he is looking healthy (is going to be nice to see him competing againts Collison)

Lance: he looks a bit lost, he had a nice shot over Collisons at one time.

Danny: he looks like he wants to get everybody involve and is not looking to get his own shot that much.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:15 PM
we look soooo sloppy put there. I am not liking JMac (McRoberts) shooting all those 3's

TY THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING but JOB wants him to a least thats what he said in summer league. We need to run PnR not find the Pf for the 3

Sookie
09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
No wories but I was talking about this quote in particular

I was just suggesting that he appears slow. :P (Or that he didn't feel comfortable enough dribbling around those two, afraid of the steal. Probably more so with Darren. Which is reasonable. You probably don't want your pocket picked the first day.)

I think of him more as a bulldog, where he's going to force his way into the basket. I don't know that it'll work against PGs. Most of them will be able to stay in front of him and just flop.

He may, however, be faster than some of the SGs. (I bet he'd have no problem getting around Dun. :laugh:)

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
My observations:

Paul George: seems to be long and strong, Dunleavy can't even pass trough the guy.

Tyler: looks healthy and in the beginning of the video he looks aggressive and even got to block a shot.

Foster: looks healthy.

Hibbert: looks fit, not sure if this is bad or good (I like my centers to have some weight to move people around) he is running quicker.

TJ: same old guy, he jumps and lose the ball like always

Dunleavy: same old guy.

Mcbob: he looks out of control and is shooting way too much from outside

Solo: he looks decent but we already know who he is.

Brandon Rush: looks agressive, eveytime he gets the ball wants to go inside(I like that)

Collison: he knows were everybody is, he is as quick as TJ but in more control.

AJ price: he is looking healthy (is going to be nice to see him competing againts Collison)

Lance: he looks a bit lost, he had a nice shot over Collisons at one time.

Danny: he looks like he wants to get everybody involve and is not looking to get his own shot that much.

i concur

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Paul was shutin mike down he looked like his shadow good effort on D. Lance gonna be a great change of pace guy but was a bit out of control

Sookie
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM

So we have
2 extremely ball dominant PGs (TJ and Darren)
1 extremely ball dominant SG who we are trying to make play the PG position.
1 PG who likes to have the ball..but will adjust..and he's not 100% yet.

Our two best PGs excell at the PnR.......

So we're going to play a motion offense that gets the ball out of all of their hands.

Good.

rel
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM
interesting to see them still playing Lance @ 1 with the squad

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:29 PM
So we have
2 extremely ball dominant PGs (TJ and Darren)
1 extremely ball dominant SG who we are trying to make play the PG position.
1 PG who likes to have the ball..but will adjust..and he's not 100% yet.

Our two best PGs excell at the PnR.......

So we're going to play a motion offense that gets the ball out of all of their hands.

Good.

THATS MY POINT JOB LIED HE SAID HE WOULD PLAY TO THE TEAMS STRONG POINTS. HE NEEDS TO GO NOW!! the only shots we get in that motion is wide open shots for the pf. DC2 said motion was the worst part of his game lol JOB

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I was just suggesting that he appears slow. :P (Or that he didn't feel comfortable enough dribbling around those two, afraid of the steal. Probably more so with Darren. )

I think of him more as a bulldog, where he's going to force his way into the basket. I don't know that it'll work against PGs. Most of them will be able to stay in front of him and just flop.

He may, however, be faster than some of the SGs. (I bet he'd have no problem getting around Dun. :laugh:)

Im just playing around

You have good analysis , I personally, worry the most about the SG position. Dunleavy great for moving without the ball, bad on D

Also why doesnt D. Jones get a chance to compete for the starting job. I mean I dont want to bring up the infamous "5 game winning streak" from last year but Jones was the starting SG

Why should Dunleavy be given the staring job?

If I were Obie , I would start

PG Collison
SG Jones
SF Granger
PF McBob
C Hibbert

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
it is wierd seeing TJ bald and magnum playing Center

Deadshot
09-28-2010, 06:36 PM

You can expect these kind of situations to always look a little sloppy. Just give it time.

IUfan4life
09-28-2010, 06:38 PM
I propose a ban on all JOB talk. The season hasn't even started, and I'm at my breaking point reading all these posts

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:41 PM
I propose a ban on all JOB talk. The season hasn't even started, and I'm at my breaking point reading all these posts

it is just the fact he lied he said he was gonna play to our strong points motion is not that.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
any 1 know why AJ changed his #

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
it is just the fact he lied he said he was gonna play to our strong points motion is not that.

There's been one ****ing practice. For the love of all that is Holy. I'm not a big JOB fan, but you are just wearing thin.

avoidingtheclowns
09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm glad we all have it figured out after watching six minutes of video.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm glad we all have it figured out after watching six minutes of video.

mike wells also talked about DC not haveing the ball in his hands on JMV

vnzla81
09-28-2010, 06:49 PM

He is the coach, how about if we stop talking about him when he gets fired?

Sookie
09-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I'm pretty sure he's had the number 12 his entire career, and could get it back. :P

I'm not even gonna lie, part of it's because he has a new fan after that chat yesterday :D But I'd start Dun too.

flox
09-28-2010, 06:50 PM
O'Brien did not lie.

He wants McRoberts to make smart decisions with the ball. If he is open and he thinks that the can that three, and that his percentage this season ends up being above 40%, then that's a very smart decision.

People are just jumpy- but the fact of the matter is that McRoberts will need to make the right decision- so if that one happens to be taking a high percentage shot, then so be it.

I'm really happy we aren't running pick and rolls. I don't think our team is very good at them, and Collison I think said yesterday that he was best in transition. And I don't mind motion offense as long as we are running some sort of 4 out 1 in or dribble drive motion offense. We still have pretty good shooters and I think motion maximize our chances of getting good shots.

I am thrilled to see Dun dun starting. Dunleavy is a much better offensive player than our other SG's and while he is much worse defensively, he represents a net gain to the team's talent level and can move the ball really well. I will be thrilled of Jones does not play a single minute this season.

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
There's been one ****ing practice. For the love of all that is Holy. I'm not a big JOB fan, but you are just wearing thin.

Well just meet him downtown and pummel him to death for actually having a right to voice his opinion

lighten up francis :)

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he's had the number 12 his entire career, and could get it back. :P

I'm not even gonna lie, part of it's because he has a new fan after that chat yesterday :D But I'd start Dun too.

i knew he had it in college but wat about the people that have his 22 jersey lol. I didnt relize a # was so imporant to him

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Well just meet him downtown and pummel him to death for actually having a right to voice his opinion

lighten up francis :)

If he was actually taking the time to write coherent thoughts, maybe he wouldn't be wearing thin so quickly, but it's just getting really old trying to read his posts.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 07:02 PM
O'Brien did not lie.

He wants McRoberts to make smart decisions with the ball. If he is open and he thinks that the can that three, and that his percentage this season ends up being above 40%, then that's a very smart decision.

People are just jumpy- but the fact of the matter is that McRoberts will need to make the right decision- so if that one happens to be taking a high percentage shot, then so be it.

I'm really happy we aren't running pick and rolls. I don't think our team is very good at them, and Collison I think said yesterday that he was best in transition. And I don't mind motion offense as long as we are running some sort of 4 out 1 in or dribble drive motion offense. We still have pretty good shooters and I think motion maximize our chances of getting good shots.

I am thrilled to see Dun dun starting. Dunleavy is a much better offensive player than our other SG's and while he is much worse defensively, he represents a net gain to the team's talent level and can move the ball really well. I will be thrilled of Jones does not play a single minute this season.

thats fair but who think mcbob can shoot 40% from 3 that is asking a lot from him. i hope for the best for him, but i think Troy Murphy proved that jacking up 3s at the 4 is not winning basketball. he hasnt won ne where he has been. Hopefully mcbob proves me wrong and plays good D and rebounds the ball well. If he does that anything on the OFFSE of side of the ball is a bonus in my mine. GO PACERS

BillS
09-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I think we should be concerned that they only practiced for 6 minutes, based on so many people reacting like what was in the highlight video was the entire day. :rolleyes:

C'mon, folks, give 'em a few days and watch an entire practice before jumping onto the soundbite bandwagon.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I think we should be concerned that they only practiced for 6 minutes, based on so many people reacting like what was in the highlight video was the entire day. :rolleyes:

C'mon, folks, give 'em a few days and watch an entire practice before jumping onto the soundbite bandwagon.

ur avatar says it all lol will they show the entire pratice or just these high light tapes?

Sookie
09-28-2010, 07:31 PM

I think the negative reaction came from Wells saying that JOB is planning to not have Collison have the ball in his hands.

On the other side, he let AJ play PnR last season and have the ball in his hands more. I don't really know why he wouldn't with Collison.

OakMoses
09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I only noticed two things that really stood out:

1. Paul George is really tall and long. I've always thought that Dunleavy's height is something that people forget about and then you see him next to a guy like D. Jones and you realize that he just towers over him. George is just as tall as Dunleavy, and that's impressive.

2. I really like the Roy in the high post feeding McRoberts in the low post. It happens at least twice in the video. I think that's a play that will work well with both McRoberts and Hansbrough in the low post.

BornReady
09-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Before he came to the NBA, Price had #12 and had good success with it. When he was drafted, Diener held that number, so Price could not have it. Now that Diener is gone, #12 is ripe for the picking.

BornReady
09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
it is wierd seeing TJ bald and magnum playing Center

haha why? TJ is bald and has been for a long time...

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
If he was actually taking the time to write coherent thoughts, maybe he wouldn't be wearing thin so quickly, but it's just getting really old trying to read his posts.

I hear you my man, but dude is 17 ya know

IndyHoya
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I only noticed two things that really stood out:

2. I really like the Roy in the high post feeding McRoberts in the low post. It happens at least twice in the video. I think that's a play that will work well with both McRoberts and Hansbrough in the low post.

That's about all that Roy did for 4 years at Georgetown. They worked a Princeton-style offense with Roy feeding off the HP. He's really a great passer.

count55
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
It's going to be a very, very long season.

CT Pacer
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
haha why? TJ is bald and has been for a long time...

And weird to see Magnum at center?? Where else has he played for the Pacers?

imawhat
09-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow. I really, really hope they keep PG on Dunleavy during the practices. There is no better player for George to learn from defensively than Mike.

Mike's great at moving without the ball and will teach PG everything he needs to know about playing defense.

Anthem
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I liked that as well. I really like the Roy/Mac combo up front... either one can play the high post or the low post. And most teams don't have two good defensive guys to throw at them. If the other team fronts the post, there should be some good easy buckets each quarter for that combo.

MillerTime
09-28-2010, 10:41 PM

AJ:
I wanted to take it back to my longtime college number. I had a lot of success in 12 so I felt like I needed to bring it back.

I Love P
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
This team is deep.

MillerTime
09-28-2010, 10:53 PM
This team is deep.

only at the swingman positions

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:01 PM
If JOB totally ruins Josh I'm going to go nitro, although I'm not sure how much more headroom there is to be PO'd about this crap. Man up JOB and just let Josh play to his strengths rather than forcing another square peg into a 3P hole.

Collison's knock was court vision and insistance on hogging the ball with his dribble, but everyone knew he was NBA elite quick with the ball or on-ball defending. What I'm saying is be careful of loving the good stuff and thinking everyone was wrong because no one complained about quickness.

If DC can show high quality PnR, get the ball to other scorers before the 2-3 second spot on the clock and not end nights with 15 FGAs to 7 assists then we'll have something to be excited about. I'm not saying he can't, I'm saying those were the issues holding back his draft stock.

His role with the Hornets last year really didn't alter that view because he was asked to dominate the ball and score for himself a lot.

I am excited about the possibility of DC and Rush defending the perimeter with Granger and McRoberts at the forwards....unless Josh is asked to morph into Troy that is.

AJ, Foster and Tyler being healthy...boy, these would be pleasant surprises for me.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I liked that as well. I really like the Roy/Mac combo up front... either one can play the high post or the low post. And most teams don't have two good defensive guys to throw at them. If the other team fronts the post, there should be some good easy buckets each quarter for that combo.
As you might recall one of the big plays for Josh last year was the backdoor oop from the high post weakside. That wouldn't come from the other high post, but the point is that he has the hops to score over people if they lose him or cheat.

So for the Roy to Josh feed this means they can play over the tops of people pretty effectively. That should clear space for Roy and allow him to make moves to back it down a bit. Also I'd think you'd like to flash Josh toward the rim and if they react and overplay him to prevent the high pass then he can continue on out the other side and leave a hole for a wing to slash through in a follow up for Roy to feed.

Lotta good can come from Roy passing out of the high post, mixed with sets where he goes into the low post.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
And I propose a ban on all JOB coached Pacers action. The season hasn't even started and I'm at my breaking point reading all his double talk and seeing action that indicates more of the foolish, losing methods I've come to hate.

So it's more half-full or half-empty. I see it as half-full....of potentially horrible coaching choices.

There is one excellent way to end all of this JOB bashing, or haven't you noticed the drastic reduction in complaints about Isiah the last few years.

I like how people think I and others like myself are happy being frustrated. Trust me, we aren't. It sucks WAY MORE than your frustration of hearing about it. And you being sick of it doesn't make the last 3 years winning seasons by magic.

pwee31
09-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Josh shot one 3 in the video I saw... and hit?

haha it sounds like the season is already over before it even started.... just by watching a 6 clip of SOME of practice.

Dunleavy appears to have his legs under him a lot better, and doesn't appear to be shooting with his arms like last year. If he's back, he's the best SG on this team until Rush, PG, etc.. prove otherwise.

I'd like to see him come off the bench to play with the 2nd unit, but I don't have a problem if he starts until Rush is back

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Josh shot one 3 in the video I saw... and hit?

haha it sounds like the season is already over before it even started.... just by watching a 6 clip of SOME of practice.

Dunleavy appears to have his legs under him a lot better, and doesn't appear to be shooting with his arms like last year. If he's back, he's the best SG on this team until Rush, PG, etc.. prove otherwise.

I'd like to see him come off the bench to play with the 2nd unit, but I don't have a problem if he starts until Rush is back

in summer league one game josh went like 1-9 from 3pt land lol it was funny. Steve Smith was making fun of him lol.

imawhat
09-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Can't get over Paul George's defense in that video. It was really good.

He forced Roy into a bad outlet pass, disrupted Dunleavy, stayed in stance, and got a few deflections/steals. He showed glimpses in summer league but here he's completely focused in all of the clips. Very impressive. I think he needs a lot of work on offense as he's not effective without the ball. But, when he has it he makes good decisions. He looks like he has a natural ability to make his teammates better on both ends (and in particular in transition)....potentially more than any other player on the roster. I can't pinpoint it yet, but I will.

James Posey looks strong. He pushes McRoberts out of the post pretty easily on one play.

Speaking of McRoberts, he had some struggles with rebounding. I still think he's a great fit with Roy out there. They're interchangeable as passers out of the high post (as Anthem and Seth mentioned). Jerry Sloan would love both of them.

Solomon Jones looked improved. His main problem is awareness (which stands out less after one practice), but that didn't look too bad here.

Foster was his usual self.

Granger looked really good. He found himself near the rim a couple of times and made some good passes.

Couldn't tell much of a difference in Roy. He looked to be moving better. I think he's more of a system guy, so he's not going to stand out in raw play.

TJ didn't look rusty at all. He looked like his normal self.

Brandon never looks good in these videos. He's another system guy. Not much to say on Dunleavy, Tyler, Juice, Dahntay, Lance or Magnum. Overall, I'm just excited to see Paul George's defense. DC/Rush/George/Granger/Hibbert (or McRoberts) is a very interesting lineup.

Heisenberg
09-29-2010, 03:20 AM
This team is deep.In relative terms, sure. We've been pretty deep for the last couple of seasons. The problems been outside of maybe 2/3 guys on the roster we've just been deep with solid rotational pieces. Pull any 5 names out of a hat against another 5 and it'd in all likelihood be a tossup, and that's not a good thing.

graphic-er
09-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Man I really hope Danny picks it up on D this year, he could have chased down PG on that fast break and blocked him at the rim. Instead he wraps him up....that was lame. I know its just day 1, but that would have been a great way to set the tone from Day 1.

Speed
09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
6 mins of video, who knows. I did see pretty much what we saw last year from almost every player on the floor....

Posey guarded Roy in the low post and made him shoot an airball, really?

BRush not finishing strong.

TJ leaving his feet.

Danny hitting his shot.

Hansbrough half hook being blocked.

I mean I really saw almost nothing different.

Paul George's defense looked harassing. DC was trying to subjugate (sp?)

It's 6 mins of video, but I really hope those weren't highlights or what Count55 said is right....it's gonna be a long season.

Anyway it's 6 minutes, let's see what they look like next week in a full pretend game.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Man I really hope Danny picks it up on D this year, he could have chased down PG on that fast break and blocked him at the rim. Instead he wraps him up....that was lame. I know its just day 1, but that would have been a great way to set the tone from Day 1.

I'm not sure Danny could block George at the rim on a fast break dunk...I'm not sure there's anyone in the league (save maybe Lebron or D12 if he was already down there) that could do that.

graphic-er
09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure Danny could block George at the rim on a fast break dunk...I'm not sure there's anyone in the league (save maybe Lebron or D12 if he was already down there) that could do that.

Okay I know George is talented but he aint THAT good. I've seen Danny make that block before, just like Lebron where he chases you down and blocks you from behind and pins it or slaps it off the backboard.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Okay I know George is talented but he aint THAT good. I've seen Danny make that block before.

You've seen Danny block a FAST BREAK DUNK? Not a fast break layup, but a dunk? I'm calling shenanigans.

EDIT: RE: Lebron He's about 5x the athlete Danny is. George is much more athletically comparable to Lebron than Danny is when it comes to hops. I bet Danny couldn't block a Paul George fast break dunk with ten tries.

Unclebuck
09-29-2010, 09:08 AM
This thread is a disgrace. Does anyone even know what they were working on in the 6 minutes of video we saw?

I almost give up

this falls under a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Impressive that so many of you can draw conclusions from watching this video.

The only comment I want to address: Seth really, JOB ruining Josh? I mean what is Josh at best.

xBulletproof
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Hansbrough didn't play in the 5 v 5 which was all I believe the video was ... how did you see this?

nerveghost
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
This is like watching a starving pack of wolves feeding on a squirrel.

McKeyFan
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM

I hear ya.

However, this is a scrimmage. The vet Granger may have just prevented giving PG a concussion and spraining his own ankle.

Now, in the fourth quarter of regular season, I'm with you.

graphic-er
09-29-2010, 09:30 AM
You've seen Danny block a FAST BREAK DUNK? Not a fast break layup, but a dunk? I'm calling shenanigans.

EDIT: RE: Lebron He's about 5x the athlete Danny is. George is much more athletically comparable to Lebron than Danny is when it comes to hops. I bet Danny couldn't block a Paul George fast break dunk with ten tries.

Yes I've seen him block a fast break dunk from behind at least once, and i've seen him block a fast break layup more than once.

You comment about lebron is ridiculous. 5x the athlete...yeah okay. Do you recall the game 2 years ago when it came down to the last 2 possessions against Lebron? They tried a lob pass to Lebron in the closing seconds and Danny gets called for the foul after he successfully deflected it, and on the other end the Pacers run the exact same play and Lebron gets called for the same foul and walks off the court in disgust as Danny sinks 2 FT's.

If Lebron was 5x the athlete Danny was, we would have lost that game.

Edit- Oh man would you like to eat your crow?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZaLd0BnRUdM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZaLd0BnRUdM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes I've seen him block a fast break dunk from behind at least once, and i've seen him block a fast break layup more than once.

You comment about lebron is ridiculous. 5x the athlete...yeah okay. Do you recall the game 2 years ago when it came down to the last 2 possessions against Lebron? They tried a lob pass to Lebron in the closing seconds and Danny gets called for the foul after he successfully deflected it, and on the other end the Pacers run the exact same play and Lebron gets called for the same foul and walks off the court in disgust as Danny sinks 2 FT's.

If Lebron was 5x the athlete Danny was, we would have lost that game.

Video=me owned. Ha Although it's debatable whether that was truly from behind ;)

Regardless, it's like you're searching for things to ***** about. Mike Dunleavy not taking his interview seriously, Danny doesn't block a dunk in practice. It's like why do that? We're one day into the season, and you're picking apart every little thing.

count55
09-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Posey guarded Roy in the low post and made him shoot an airball, really?

It was Solo

It was McBob, and that one was blocked by Posey. (I don't think I saw Hansbrough at all, except for possibly once away from the play wearing a white jersey.)

It's 6 mins of video, but I really hope those weren't highlights or what Count55 said is right....it's gonna be a long season.

I want to be perfectly clear about this. My comment had absolutely nothing to do with what I saw on the video.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 09:38 AM
It was Solo

It was McBob, and that one was blocked by Posey. (I don't think I saw Hansbrough at all, except for possibly once away from the play wearing a white jersey.)

I want to be perfectly clear about this. My comment had absolutely nothing to do with what I saw on the video.

Yeah, I thought you were speaking to the over reaction by most that this is the exact same team as last year based off of 5 minutes of video from the first scrimmage of the season.

Justin Tyme
09-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm not even going to waste my time commenting on a whole "6" minutes from the 1st day of practice. It's like the 1st day of high school when you meet your teachers and hear what they expect. How can you judge the quality of the teacher for the whole year on that 1st day?

vnzla81
09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
It was Solo

Count Hans is in the beginning of the video(#50) he blocks Collison and gets block by Hibbert down low, he is the guy that runs weird.

BPump33
09-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that is Tyler missing that shot at 1 minute mark, right? They are playing 4 on 4.

graphic-er
09-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Video=me owned. Ha Although it's debatable whether that was truly from behind ;)

Regardless, it's like you're searching for things to ***** about. Mike Dunleavy not taking his interview seriously, Danny doesn't block a dunk in practice. It's like why do that? We're one day into the season, and you're picking apart every little thing.

I think you got me singled out. Who isn't picking apart every little thing? You read this board lately?

Danny is my fav, so i can tell when he is playing lazy on defense, and that was lazy. Dude just got back from Turkey where he was the human victory torch on team USA cause he couldn't defend as aggressively as Gay or Iggy. So yea I want him to block that rookie's ****** and say welcome to the NBA kid.

count55
09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that is Tyler missing that shot at 1 minute mark, right? They are playing 4 on 4.

Yes, you're right. Tyler's in white, and Hibbert forced the bad fade away one hander.

Speed
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM
It was Solo .

You are right, not Posey, 2:39 mark.

It was McBob, and that one was blocked by Posey. (I don't think I saw Hansbrough at all, except for possibly once away from the play wearing a white jersey.) .

Tyler, :58 mark.

bphil
09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Love me some Paul George. 'Nuff said.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM
I think you got me singled out. Who isn't picking apart every little thing? You read this board lately?

Danny is my fav, so i can tell when he is playing lazy on defense, and that was lazy. Dude just got back from Turkey where he was the human victory torch on team USA cause he couldn't defend as aggressively as Gay or Iggy. So yea I want him to block that rookie's ****** and say welcome to the NBA kid.

It was the first practice...

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Love me some Paul George. 'Nuff said.

me 2

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
This thread is a disgrace. Does anyone even know what they were working on in the 6 minutes of video we saw?

I almost give up

The only comment I want to address: Seth really, JOB ruining Josh? I mean what is Josh at best.

jumping and warming the bench.

Hicks
09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
me 2

Mystery solved. ;) j/k

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Mystery solved. ;) j/k

not like that lol

daschysta
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Do they generally show us highlights like this from each day of practice?

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 12:42 PM

ya go on to NBA.com you can watch full training camp lakes,wizards,knicks from yesterday john wall was killin

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM

I almost give up

Although I understand where your comming from

I was able to see , that JOB does one thing and say another. I do not believe him when he says McBob will not be judged on his shooting. I also , after watching the six minutes of tape, see that McBob is launching 3's and long jumpers

I think it is fair to draw a conclusion regarding the earlier statement by JOB

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Within 15 seconds I was laughing out loud. On Monday, Jim O'Brien said in essence that Josh McRoberts won't be evaluated on his shooting and he isn't expected to be a Troy Murphy type player. Then on the video, the first play for J-Mac's team has him draining a 3-ball. Looked like a nice arcing stroke too, in contrast to the flat, front-rim magnet he's shown in the past.

From Tom Lewis at Indy Cornrows

I think that exmplifies the point I was trying to make

Unclebuck
09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Although I understand where your comming from

I was able to see , that JOB does one thing and say another. I do not believe him when he says McBob will not be judged on his shooting. I also , after watching the six minutes of tape, see that McBob is launching 3's and long jumpers

I think it is fair to draw a conclusion regarding the earlier statement by JOB

I think it is dead wrong to judge anything at all based uppon seeing 6 minutes of the first training camp practice. I watched it and enjoyed it a little, but learned nothing and certainly I am not drawing any conclusions about anything.

Unclebuck
09-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Lord I hope not - I won't be able to stomach a thread like this one every day

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 01:17 PM
I think it is dead wrong to judge anything at all based uppon seeing 6 minutes of the first training camp practice. I watched it and enjoyed it a little, but learned nothing and certainly I am not drawing any conclusions about anything.

Buck

Do you believe JOB contridicts himself?
although it is only six minutes of a training camp scrimmage , I believe unequivically JOB will in fact ask McBob to shot jumpres and even 3's which is not what he said in the press confrence and if you go only on the one tape , it clearly shows that is not the case

I hope your right and I am wrong though

Unclebuck
09-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Buck

Do you believe JOB contridicts himself?
although it is only six minutes of a training camp scrimmage , I believe unequivically JOB will in fact ask McBob to shot jumpres and even 3's which is not what he said in the press confrence and if you go only on the one tape , it clearly shows that is not the case

First, I think many are misinterpreting what Jim actually said. Jim said that Josh's play will not be judged based upon his shooting. Jim was discussing Josh or whoever the power forward is replacing Troy and suggesting that Troy was asked to be a primary shooter. Jim wants Josh to defend, pass, not turn the ball over and any shooting we get from him will be gravy. But I don't think Jim ever said that Josh will not shoot any threes or any jumpers, in fact Jim always wants every player to shoot any open shot they get. So yes, I expect Josh to shoot some threes and some 20 footers and when he does I won't consider that Jim contradicting himself

here is what Jim said in the online chat from media day. he also addressed this I believe in the press conference from media day I think it is available on Pacers.com

12:10 Coach: As I mentioned, I believe Josh has an opportunity to be a starter for us. The role that I define for Josh is to run the court, go after every rebound on both ends of the court, and when he has the ball in his hands as a playmaker - to do something positive with the basketball. He is not being evaluated as a 3pt shooter. He has skills that are different than Troy Murphy's and will be evaluated on the 3 things that I listed.

Jim never said that Josh will not shoot any threes

here is Conrad reading between the lines on this topic
With Troy Murphy gone, the Pacers likely will attempt fewer 3-pointers but that won't necessarily mean a philosophical shift by O'Brien. "It's not a matter of forcing them into a system," he said. "We change our system every year." Rather than trailing the break and spotting up at the arc, O'Brien expects the fours to run to the rim in transition.

Jim's press conference is available - here it is, no transcript
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/09/27/obrienmediaday100927-1424540/index.html

I don't have time to listen right now, but maybe tonight. I am making big point of this because I think it is misjudging Jim's comments to suggest that Josh will not shoot any threes

Major Cold
09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Do some of you know what a PnR is? Cause I saw PnR, pick n Pops, and Pick n Slips.

I think many of you just like to Pick on JOB. PnJOB is what I want to see less in preseason.

Unclebuck
09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I am referring to Obies press confrence where he said "Josh will not be judged on shooting, but rebounding and defense and blocked shots, in fact Josh wont answer to any staff memeber about shooting" (paraphrasing).

It almost seemed as if Obie was making a point to say that.

Then in the scrimmage we see Josh firing up long jumpers and three's

So in essence, I dont believe Obie when he says that Josh shouldnt worry about shooting , as evidence by the scrimmage

As I mentioned but just to further emphasize the point. Jim never said that Josh will not shoot threes

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't have time to listen right now, but maybe tonight. I am making big point of this because I think it is misjudging Jim's comments to suggest that Josh will not shoot any threes

You might be correct, to me it almsot seemed JOB was "forced" to say that to put out any potential fires if , in fact, fns are scared to death that they will try and mak McBob into Troy Murphy V2

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Do some of you know what a PnR is? Cause I saw PnR, pick n Pops, and Pick n Slips.

I think many of you just like to Pick on JOB. PnJOB is what I want to see less in preseason.

did u see it with DC i only saw it with TJ lol and it ended badly. I saw DC2 running motion not PnR.

Speed
09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Tyler, :58 mark.

Tyler about to get blocked on this play is also on the front page of the Indy Star Sports page, print version, today too. Funny, it doesn't look like it's about to be rejected from the picture.

Major Cold
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
did u see it with DC i only saw it with TJ lol and it ended badly. I saw DC2 running motion not PnR.

So JOB wants to run PnR with everyone except DC? Or could it be that there wasn't a PnR worthy of the 6 minutes that DC was involved in? If that is the case...then that means we won't run the PnR ever. And Roy can't score in the low-post because he didn't in this clip.

You are entitled to your own opinion. But negating truth to form an opinnon is a false opinion. The truth is that a 6 minute clip should never be the sum of the team. A 6 minute clip of the first practice.

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 03:39 PM
So JOB wants to run PnR with everyone except DC? Or could it be that there wasn't a PnR worthy of the 6 minutes that DC was involved in? If that is the case...then that means we won't run the PnR ever. And Roy can't score in the low-post because he didn't in this clip.

You are entitled to your own opinion. But negating truth to form an opinnon is a false opinion. The truth is that a 6 minute clip should never be the sum of the team. A 6 minute clip of the first practice.

thoes were highlighs i would assume they would of put a highlight of DC running PnR but they didnt so idk

daschysta
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
thoes were highlighs i would assume they would of put a highlight of DC running PnR but they didnt so idk

Offensive sets are one of the last things that coach JOB instills, this is just a scrimmage... in the first practice... And you are looking for specific plays from new players playing with many of these people for the first time?

Taking anything away from a video like this is foolish and is doing nothing but exposing how biased some posters are.

I will be right along with you guys if we see some troubling things in the regular season, heck perhaps to an extent even in preseason play, but the time to scrutinize and jump to conclusions is not now.

Speed
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I meant to mention Bruno was on Mark Patrick yesterday. Bruno says you'll know when Hansbrough is back all the way, he'll have guys wanting to fight him in practice. :D Pretty funny.

Major Cold
09-29-2010, 04:09 PM

4:39