PDA

View Full Version : Free Pre-Game Concert before Home Opener

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.hankfm.com/concerts/craig_morgan.aspx

Featuring Country Music Star, Craig Morgan at 6:30 PM.

Ohh, exciting!!! Finally someone who wasn't relevant in the 1990's and fell off the map. He's still making hits!

http://www.hankfm.com/pics/concerts/craig_morgan/craigmorgan1.gif
http://www.hankfm.com/pics/concerts/craig_morgan/craigmorgan2.jpg

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Laugh. Out. Loud.

Day-V
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
When I want to get pumped up for an Indiana Pacers game, I IMMEDIATELY think of country music......

Kstat
09-28-2010, 09:18 AM
The NBA: Where C-list country music stars happen.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
The NBA: Where C-list country music stars happen.
C-list? No way.

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.hankfm.com/concerts/craig_morgan.aspx

Featuring Country Music Star, Craig Morgan at 6:30 PM.

Ohh, exciting!!! Finally someone who wasn't relevant in the 1990's and fell off the map. He's still making hits!

http://www.hankfm.com/pics/concerts/craig_morgan/craigmorgan1.gif
http://www.hankfm.com/pics/concerts/craig_morgan/craigmorgan2.jpg

At least whoever made the ad didn't pay attention to the Pacer logo and tilted it as opposed to having the "P" in the center vertically aligned...

Just a shame that the Pacers logo isn't completely upside down. That would have made this promotion complete in a "Hicks vs. Knicks" sort of way...

Putnam
09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
I've never heard of Craig Morgan.

But back in myyyyy day, the Pacers brought in the Temptations and the Four Tops.

xtacy
09-28-2010, 09:23 AM
When I want to get pumped up for an Indiana Pacers game, I IMMEDIATELY think of country music......

don't talk like that when i'm drinking something.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I would rather have a couple local bands put on a show than this.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:26 AM
A local band(s) isn't going to generate the foot traffic they want to see outside of the Fieldhouse.

Kstat
09-28-2010, 09:27 AM

You assume they could find some that desperate...

Day-V
09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
A local band(s) isn't going to generate the foot traffic they want to see outside of the Fieldhouse.

And Craig Morgan is?

MagicRat
09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I've never heard of Craig Morgan.

But back in myyyyy day, the Pacers brought in the Temptations and the Four Tops.

I haven't heard of him, either.

Back in myyyyy day they used to have to bring in acts for after the game to get people to attend. Bill Cosby FTW........

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:40 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSdItuvBxc8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSdItuvBxc8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:41 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uI7Ghu1FpnQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uI7Ghu1FpnQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8A6vJ7-ap4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8A6vJ7-ap4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

luis3ep
09-28-2010, 09:48 AM
ZZZZzzzzz.... i think i'll just have to skip this.

I Love P
09-28-2010, 10:00 AM
My freinds and I are taking a bus down to the first game and tailgating. Once October 30th gets closer I'll let you know where we will be. We will be grilling out and doin a lil' bit of drinking. Since the game is on a Saturday we will probably get down there pretty early. We will be tailgating throughout the season.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 10:03 AM

And this will?

Pacers#1Fan
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
How can you go from Third Eye Blind to Craig Morgan lmao. That's awful.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 10:08 AM
And this will?
Okay, you need to understand how many people will come out to see Craig Morgan, let alone see Craig Morgan for free. If you go to the State Fair and see all the country music acts that come in there, they are almost always sold out.

Trust me, Indiana loves it's country music. And if HankFM is setting this up, it's going to be a good show.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm glad they will come see Craig Morgan, but I don't care about Craig Morgan...will they come see the Pacers?

The NBA and its fans are not typically country music listeners.

Kstat
In 49 other states, Craig Morgan is a country music singer nobody knows or cares about....

daschysta
Musical tastes are not one of the things I am proud of about my beloved home state :(.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm glad they will come see Craig Morgan, but I don't care about Craig Morgan...will they come see the Pacers?

The NBA and its fans are not typically country music listeners.
Generally speaking you're correct. However, the Pacers feel that someone of his stature will generate a lot of traffic outside the Fieldhouse, and hopefully they will sell a few tickets. That's fine that you won't go, I won't condemn you. I'm just glad they have someone relevant and I can make a day out of it.

I Love P
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
I watched The Blues Traveler for probably five minutes but other than that every concert they have had for game 1 you could have found me at The Pub.

Mark
09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
God I hate these gimmicks. Can't wait to get back to the days where the Pacers are the actual attraction.

SMosley21
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I have no idea who Craig Morgan is. The only reason I'll be at Conseco that day is to see the Pacers.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I'll be at the game, but that's because I already have the season tickets, not because I'm suddenly attracted by Craig Morgan. I just don't think he'll have the draw through the gates.

BillS
09-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Seems to me that putting folks down for being fans of country music who might also be drawn into the Pacers is as bad as putting down Pacer fans who like rap or other urban beats. Let's not get on a high horse that one person's taste in music is somehow more worthwhile than someone else's.

I think this is reaching out to an audience that has felt the most alienated by the shift in culture of the NBA. Why not? There are a lot of young people who like country music, and you might be surprised at the number of them who might be fans of both "cool" genres and "uncool" ones.

For the record, I loved Blues Traveler, thought Third Eye Blind was OK but not really my cup of tea, and will probably take a few minutes to listen to Craig Morgan. It's music, and well-written country music is less insipid than most.

Kstat
09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I'll fondly remember Craig Morgan leading the Broncos to the superbowl back in the day...

BoomBaby33
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I'll fondly remember Craig Morgan leading the Broncos to the superbowl back in the day...

Either you are being sarcastic, or you are thinking of Craig MorTon

BoomBaby33
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Id rather have Sha-Na-Na, like back in the day. LOL.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Seems to me that putting folks down for being fans of country music who might also be drawn into the Pacers is as bad as putting down Pacer fans who like rap or other urban beats. Let's not get on a high horse that one person's taste in music is somehow more worthwhile than someone else's.

I think this is reaching out to an audience that has felt the most alienated by the shift in culture of the NBA. Why not? There are a lot of young people who like country music, and you might be surprised at the number of them who might be fans of both "cool" genres and "uncool" ones.

For the record, I loved Blues Traveler, thought Third Eye Blind was OK but not really my cup of tea, and will probably take a few minutes to listen to Craig Morgan. It's music, and well-written country music is less insipid than most.
I loved when they had Blues Traveler. Of course it was 2008, not 1996, but none-the-less it was great to travel (no pun intended) down memory lane.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 12:00 PM
we need a rapper

grace
09-28-2010, 12:19 PM
As a country music fan I can honestly say I'm no Craig Morgan fan. Now if you want to get me to a game (and maybe a lot of people from the Noblesville area) they should have Steve Wariner play, but I already dragged Kegboy to one of his concerts so I don't think I could pull that off again.

Peck
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I have no idea who this guy is & well let's just say that my fondness of country music is not grand.

However I applaud the Pacers for actually bringing in someone that is still current and relevant.

I have been beating the drum for a few years now that the NBA in general has alienated itself from a certain segement of the population because they have focused way to heavily on the hip/hop urban culture (do NOT read that as a race thing because it goes way further than racial boundries).

I see nothing wrong with trying to expand the horizens of people interested in the team.

travmil
09-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Having Craig Morgan is better than playing Lil' Jon and the Eastside Boyz during timeouts and breaks to a crowd full of middle aged white people who would rather shove ice picks into their ears than listen to that. I can most assuredly say that the last thing the avearage Pacer crowd wants to do is "get Krunk".

naptownmenace
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I haven't heard of him, either.

Back in myyyyy day they used to have to bring in acts for after the game to get people to attend. Bill Cosby FTW........

I was at that game!

I remember seeing Rich Little after a game once. Those concerts were awesome.

naptownmenace
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Great post. Maybe they could've picked a more well-known artist but I think it was a good decision to go with a country music artist. When I think of Indiana and music, Country music immediately comes to mind.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Great post. Maybe they could've picked a more well-known artist but I think it was a good decision to go with a country music artist. When I think of Indiana and music, Country music immediately comes to mind.
I don't know how more well-known you can get in the country music world. I mean outside of pulling in Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson.

travmil
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
yeah, you guys are seriously underestimating Craig Morgan. He's seriously all over every form of media that has anything to do with country music right now and has been all year.

Tom White
09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
It's music, and well-written country music is less insipid than most.

Well written and well performed country music is also damn rare. I have no idea who Morgan is, but most male country "artists" sing like they've got a mouthful of crap. Seriously, the better women country singers just put them to shame.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 01:30 PM
yeah, you guys are seriously underestimating Craig Morgan. He's seriously all over every form of media that has anything to do with country music right now and has been all year.
Umm, okay? I'm not trying to like, yeah, tell anyone here that you HAVE to watch him. I'm just saying that if anyone has paid attention to the Country Music Scene you'd know about him, and that he is a pretty big-time artist.

No need to get an attitude, please.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Umm, okay? I'm not trying to like, yeah, tell anyone here that you HAVE to watch him. I'm just saying that if anyone has paid attention to the Country Music Scene you'd know about him, and that he is a pretty big-time artist.

No need to get an attitude, please.

I'm pretty sure he was agreeing with you.

Since86
09-28-2010, 01:47 PM
What a sad thread to read.

Kstat
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
What a sad thread to read.

I vehemently disagree. This is a "lighter side" thread, if ever saw one...

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he was agreeing with you.
I hope so. It's hard to tell sometimes, though.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I vehemently disagree. This is a "lighter side" thread, if ever saw one...

Put on your game face. It's time to be serious

Whtwudusay
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Okay, you need to understand how many people will come out to see Craig Morgan, let alone see Craig Morgan for free. If you go to the State Fair and see all the country music acts that come in there, they are almost always sold out.

Trust me, Indiana loves it's country music. And if HankFM is setting this up, it's going to be a good show.

Duke has a point here. Especially if HankFM promotes it correctly. Craig Morgan actually does a good show, too.

Since86
09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm sure MNF just absolutely regrets going with country for their theme song. What a horrible business decision they made on that one........

I don't expect everyone to like country music, or even Craig Morgan, but you don't have to be blatant ********. That's the problem with this thread.

Kstat
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R8YbhmrlxCE/SdBPfPY0-iI/AAAAAAAAFXo/ImjHUapdYvk/s400/Darkwing_Duck.jpg

naptownmenace
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't know how more well-known you can get in the country music world. I mean outside of pulling in Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson.

I haven't heard of him before today. That's not a knock against him at all because when it comes to country music, there are tons of artists I've never heard of.

Ultimately, my point was that choosing a country music artist was a great idea.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R8YbhmrlxCE/SdBPfPY0-iI/AAAAAAAAFXo/ImjHUapdYvk/s400/Darkwing_Duck.jpg

Let's get dangerous.

SMosley21
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Having Craig Morgan is better than playing Lil' Jon and the Eastside Boyz during timeouts and breaks to a crowd full of middle aged white people who would rather shove ice picks into their ears than listen to that. I can most assuredly say that the last thing the avearage Pacer crowd wants to do is "get Krunk".

and the last thing our players want is to get hyped up to the "Red Neck Yacht Club"

travmil
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
and the last thing our players want is to get hyped up to the "Red Neck Yacht Club"

You may be right, but they aren't paying us now are they? If I'm paying their salary I don't give a crap what they want to listen to. And if they need music to get hyped up, whether it be hip-hop, country, or chanting monks there's always headphones for that.

Kraft
09-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Um, iPod?

Or, in game, maybe listen to the ... er, coach. Or the assistant coach at least given the Pacers' situation.

I Love P
09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Search him on youtube.com. If you listen to HankFM or WFMS any you will have heard him. Bringing him in will bring a lot more people for the concert than past performers. I told my mom and sister, they are both going to the concert now because he is there. I'll get them to the game too.

duke dynamite
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Search him on youtube.com. If you listen to HankFM or WFMS any you will have heard him. Bringing him in will bring a lot more people for the concert than past performers. I told my mom and sister, they are both going to the concert now because he is there. I'll get them to the game too.
Heh, my family is coming, too. They are going to the game now as well.

xBulletproof
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't like country music in the least, and have no clue who this guy is. Yet, I'm even slightly offended at some of the comments in here. Yikes.

naptownmenace
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE-MJ1mTtlDB9FAKDsMbfYxyEfy70pqWBnBq0GW88g8tNOAc0&t=1&usg=__gQuGMINNC4KtjrQ7xrGh6deQdJU=

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Heh, my family is coming, too. They are going to the game now as well.

My wife is an avid country music listener, so I have heard "Redneck Yacht Club" more times than I care to admit, and probably his one or two other country hits as well. He is a good country artist, for those who like country music. I tolerate it, but I find myself getting tired of it more quickly than other types of music overall.

In a somewhat related, and potentially enlightening side story regarding people being attracted to an event due to a musical act performing in addition to the main event, I will never forget going on vacation to Hot Springs, Arkansas years ago at the time the Arkansas state fair was going on in Little Rock.

One day at that fair, there was a championship rodeo that my wife and I went to see that was jam packed to the point of being standing room only. During intermission, there happened to be a performance by Sawyer Brown, one of the top acts in country music at that time. We had no idea he was supposed to perform, but we (especially my wife) enjoyed the concert. Everyone was standing and really into the concert, which lasted about 45 minutes or so (it was a long intermission) and he put on a very good show.

Then, when the concert ended, about 75% of the people in attendance left, and one couple asked us if everything was OK because we were staying in our seats. We asked them why everyone was leaving since the rodeo was only half over, and the reply was that very few people came to see the rodeo, and that all they cared about was seeing Sawyer Brown's concert.

The point of this is to illustrate that, while the pregame concerts attract people to the area outside of Conseco, there is little to no guarantee that very many of those people will go to the game unless they know someone else who is already going to the game to begin with, especially if the performer is current and relevant.

It is not a bad idea to have these concerts that they always have, but they are not the fantastic drivers of traffic to buy tickets to the game as much as they are a seperate celebration that generates a little good will with the public and other downtown vendors that benefit from the increased traffic that would not be present otherwise.

joeyd
09-29-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm guessing Hank Williams III was unavailable...

Eddie Gill
09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I look forward to the day when I can look back and laugh about how the Pacers brought in Craig Morgan to generate foot traffic outside the Fieldhouse ON OPENING NIGHT... Oh 1990s, how I long for thee..

Pacers4Life
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
My freinds and I are taking a bus down to the first game and tailgating. Once October 30th gets closer I'll let you know where we will be. We will be grilling out and doin a lil' bit of drinking. Since the game is on a Saturday we will probably get down there pretty early. We will be tailgating throughout the season.

You should do that definitely. Let us know i mean. I have a few friends going to school in Ohio who will be coming back for that game. We're sooo down with the Pacers... and grilling... and... tailgating.. :buddies:

BillS
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I look forward to the day when I can look back and laugh about how the Pacers brought in Craig Morgan to generate foot traffic outside the Fieldhouse ON OPENING NIGHT... Oh 1990s, how I long for thee..

You act as if they figure the place will be empty without a concert. I think it is a celebration and the type of music is to get people who like that music excited about the night. It will draw some, but it isn't some desperate ploy for attention like you might think. After all, the Colts have been having downtown celebrations for their openings for a few years as well.

Eddie Gill
09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
You act as if they figure the place will be empty without a concert. I think it is a celebration and the type of music is to get people who like that music excited about the night. It will draw some, but it isn't some desperate ploy for attention like you might think. After all, the Colts have been having downtown celebrations for their openings for a few years as well.

True. I guess a Craig Morgan concert shouldn't really be considered a desperate ploy for attention. After all, he is Craig Morgan.

Indra
09-30-2010, 09:42 AM
I consider myself a fan of all music, although rap/hip-hop and country to a lesser extent...but I have no clue who this guy is. I thought the OP was pulling an Andy Kaufman on us, with his completely serious jokes...But he's not joking. This guy is seriously going to generate foot traffic?