PDA

View Full Version : Brandon vows to change and Lance speaks

Trophy
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100928/SPORTS04/9280343/Rush-vows-to-change

Brandon Rush sounded genuine and contrite. He talked openly about how he "messed up pretty bad."

The issues that led to three positive drug tests for marijuana and a five-game suspension from the NBA, though, he says are behind him.

"I'm making a lot of changes in my life," the Indiana Pacers third-year shooting guard said Monday in his first public comments since the suspension was announced. "I'm moving away from people I used to kick it with all the time and just getting my mind right.

"You only get one shot at this, and I know I messed up pretty bad."

Rush will sit the first five games of the season for the third failed test. Asked point blank if he had a drug problem, the 2008 first-round draft pick who helped Kansas win a national title said, "No. I don't think I have a problem at all."

Rush, who averaged 9.4 points per game last year, got a call from Pacers forward Danny Granger after the suspension was announced. "He gave me an earful," Rush said. "He told me to move on and come back ready."

Breaking away from questionable associates isn't as easy as it sounds. Former Pacer Shawne Williams said in July 2008 that there were people he needed to cut out of his life after a friend from his hometown of Memphis was arrested while with Williams. Two weeks later, another friend from Memphis was arrested on a drug charge while riding in a car Williams was driving.

Rush acknowledged the difficulty.

"It's real tough. I've been knowing my friends for a long time. But it's that time. When I made this mistake, it's time to move on to be a grown man," he said.

Rush, who started 64 games last year, said he also realizes he won't likely jump back into the starting lineup once the suspension ends. "I think I'll be in the doghouse for a while," he said. "The way (Pacers coach Jim O'Brien) plays, whoever is the hot hand, he's going to play. I've been working on my game this whole summer. I'm going to continue to do that throughout my suspension and go out there and make a point."

Stephenson explains
Pacers rookie point guard Lance Stephenson said he felt his issues are behind him, as well.

The New York native awaits an Oct. 19 court date for multiple charges, including felony assault, for allegedly pushing the mother of his child down some stairs during an August incident in Brooklyn.

"I'm just trying to be a better person on and off the court, move forward and stay focused," Stephenson said.

A heralded point guard from New York, Stephenson's previous off-court issues contributed to his falling from a first-round draft pick to the second round. He also got a call from Granger.

"He told me, 'You have to be a better person off the court,' " the 6-5 Stephenson said. "You can't get into the drama and stuff like that."

BPump33
09-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Rush, who averaged 9.4 points per game last year, got a call from Pacers forward Danny Granger after the suspension was announced. "He gave me an earful," Rush said. "He told me to move on and come back ready."

Well, I really like this part.

Kid Minneapolis
09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I think the most important thing to take from this article is Granger's leadership. Unfortunately, Rush and Lance are probly gonna repeat the behavior.

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree It seems like Granger is really taking the leadership role to task this season. Now he needs to get on Dunleavy for being so non-schalant in his media day interviews. He was asked a question during the live chat about if he plans to step it on the defensive end now that his knee as healed. He answered "Haha, not likely." WTF. Come on Dun. take it seriously, you collect over 9 million this season, need you play your butt off.

Day-V
09-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Now he needs to get on Dunleavy for being so non-schalant in his media day interviews. He was asked a question during the live chat about if he plans to step it on the defensive end now that his knee as healed. He answered "Haha, not likely." WTF. Come on Dun. take it seriously, you collect over 9 million this season, need you play your butt off.

.......You do realize he was being sarcastic throughout the whole interview, right?

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Or Was He.........?

daschysta
09-28-2010, 09:28 AM
No dunleavey is an avid live action role player, who has resented troy murphy for stealing all the rebounds he otherwise would have got who has no intention of putting in defensive effort, told the media about it and has a pact with all other former dukies to allow eachother to score on one another without resistance all of this while seeing the rookies as good for nothing other than bringing him donuts each morning.

He wasn't being sarcastic at all.

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I wonder what his LARP character would be. An Elf? He seems very Elf-ish.

Putnam
09-28-2010, 09:37 AM
This is good. It is essential to recognize where the fauilt lies:

"You only get one shot at this, and I know I messed up pretty bad."

This is bad.

Pacers rookie point guard Lance Stephenson said he felt his issues are behind him

It is plain stupid to say his issues are behind him when he may go to jail. But even if he doesn't, the key to reform is taking responsibility for his wrong actions. (And we're not even talking about guilt on the charges. Just lurking in the stairwell at 4 in the morning was looking for trouble. He shouldn't have been there.)

If he says, "That's behind me," he hasn't even started to reform. He might as well say, "I won't get caught again." Real reform would begin with admitting that he faces a daily choice to stay far away from trouble, and that he'll have to make that choice again and again every day for the rest of his life.

Rush :thumbsup:
Stephenson :thumbsdow

Day-V
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Dunleavy has my axe.

McKeyFan
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM

This is bad.

It is plain stupid to say his issues are behind him when he may go to jail. But even if he doesn't, the key to reform is taking responsibility for his wrong actions. (And we're not even talking about guilt on the charges. Just lurking in the stairwell at 4 in the morning was looking for trouble. He shouldn't have been there.)

If he says, "That's behind me," he hasn't even started to reform. He might as well say, "I won't get caught again." Real reform would begin with admitting that he faces a daily choice to stay far away from trouble, and that he'll have to make that choice again and again every day for the rest of his life.

Hey Putty.

I'm not sure if it was ever clarified that Lance had traveled to her place "looking for trouble." I had assumed he was STAYING there, maybe because they were still "going together" until the later incident, or maybe because he was staying with his kid while she was out for the evening.

Otherwise, I think your insights are good ones, with this small caveat. If in fact the incident is much less than was reported, Lance would certainly know that. And that would put him in a position to say it's not as big as reported and it is behind him.

If, however, if it is as bad as reported, all your comments are on target about his attitude being all wrong about it.

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Asked point blank if he had a drug problem, the 2008 first-round draft pick who helped Kansas win a national title said, "No. I don't think I have a problem at all."

Rush saying this in a public interview that contrition should be paramount speaks volumes. He actually believes he has no problem when evidence (three positives during regular season play) points to the contrary. Not good.

"It's real tough. I've been knowing my friends for a long time. But it's that time. When I made this mistake, it's time to move on to be a grown man," he said.

When Rush says "mistake", notice that the word is singular. I really think he believes that his "mistake" was getting caught, not actually the smoking itself, even though he was saying this with respect to distancing himself from friends he has, apparently, "been knowing" for a long time.

I hope that Rush just had an exceptionally poor interview, but I am very concerned.

Lance made a completely predictable statement and that is fine at this point. Nothing to see there, anyway, in that the courts will take care of whatever needs to be taken care of, and hopefully his play will take care of the rest if he actually gets that opportunity.

Putnam
09-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks, McKeyFan. If that is the case, then he wouldn't have been seeking trouble so much. I hadn't understood it that way.

McKeyFan
09-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks, McKeyFan. If that is the case, then he wouldn't have been seeking trouble so much. I hadn't understood it that way.

Cool.

Anybody know where I can find the Dunleavy chat? The reports are so fascinating I want to see the actual thing for myself.

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
.......You do realize he was being sarcastic throughout the whole interview, right?

Do you think its okay for Dun to take this tone during media day? When other teammates are having to answer questions about personal trials in their life. Hansbrough and his injuries, Rush and his supposed drug problem, Lance S and his legal problems with his baby's momma drama. Granger and his leadership development. DC and the lofty expectations placed upon him?

Is is okay for Dun to have such a Cavalier attitude about it?
I'd rather hear Dun own up to playing like a girl last year and being totally ineffective and hear him talk about what he has done in the off season to correct his terrible play this past season besides LARPing it up.

I feel like this guy gets a free pass by everyone when the reality he hasn't done anything over the last 2.5 years but collect fat paycheck. Injuries or not, when you haven't done Jack to help the team over the last 2 years and getting 9 mil a year. I don't think you should be acting like a clown in front of the reporters. Get your game face on.

pacergod2
09-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but the thing is Brad. Is the pot smoking the problem? Or are there a lot bigger issues that Brandon has yet to deal with in life? Like lose a lot of the negative influences in his life. That is a much bigger problem and bigger obstacle for him as a man. Not an NBA player. Brandon might be putting in a lot of effort for his own life that keeps beign negated by the decisions he lets himself be a part of. Not saying no is as much of a decision as packing the bowl himself. He needs to realize that although smoking pot might not be his problem, its the effect it is having on his life. If you work for just about any union, you will probably get tested for drugs. You know that. You ignore that. Getting caught is the problem when your job is dependent on it. If you are a marketing consultant and you get your best ides when you're stoned, and there is no drug testing, then go for it. I know a lot more drunks that show up hungover and let it effect their life. There are no alcohol tests, because it is legal. Play the game. It's life. There are rules. Brandon needs to follow the rules. Is the pot smoking really hurting Brandon? Probably not a whole heck of a lot, but the adverse effects of allowing yourself to be detracted from in a professional sense hurts as much as anything.

Lance is a whole other story. Lance is dealing with an old relationship with old, hurtful emotions. He was at his girlfriend's apartment and she didn't come home until like 5am. I know it is NYC, but what parent is capable of going out until 5am when their kids are typically awake at 6-7am? I think there is a lot more to this story that just doesn't add up. Yeah they probably got into a fight that night. He had just signed his first NBA contract. The only witness was her friend, who is probably not a reliable source. I am saying this because if there is smoke, there is fire. And if there is fire, everybody wants to eat. I am not apologizing for Lance's actions, whatever they may be. I have been in plenty of bad relationships with women. The emotions are high and it leads to terrible decision making based on feelings and bad emotions as opposed to clear rational heads. Lance needs to get himself away from the mother of his child and if he was smart, he would try to get custody of his child. He can afford to pay a nanny or family member when he is at work. Lance may have a lot more of a leg to stand on from a legal perspective than we realize. I just think that this situation is bad for Lance, and just like Brandon, he needs to cut ties with negative relationships. That is part of the maturation process of emotionally intelligent and healthy adults.

Good luck to both of them in their endeavors to mature. They both need it. They both have to work on themselves and their situations and that is clear. To cut ties with them at this point displays little support when these kids need it the most. If they don't show any willingness to progress and mature, then at a certain point, a decision can be made. It is about the reactions to the problems and how hard you work to move forward. Let them prove themselves to us. For Brandon, this is strike one. For Lance, he has a bit more checkered past and thus his leash should be shorter, but our efforts to help should be greater.

pacergod2
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Do you think its okay for Dun to take this tone during media day? When other teammates are having to answer questions about personal trials in their life. Hansbrough and his injuries, Rush and his supposed drug problem, Lance S and his legal problems with his baby's momma drama. Granger and his leadership development. DC and the lofty expectations placed upon him?

I'd rather hear Dun own up to playing like a girl last year and being totally ineffective and hear him talk about what he has done in the off season to correct his terrible play this past season besides LARPing it up.

I feel like this guy gets a free pass by everyone when the reality he hasn't done anything over the last 2.5 years but collect fat paycheck. Injuries or not, when you haven't done Jack to help the team over the last 2 years and getting 9 mil a year. I don't think you should be acting like a clown in front of the reporters. Get your game face on.

Look I don't disagree with what you are saying, but it is media day. It is a light attitude and a fun day to kick the season off. It is a day for the fans and the team to have some fun. If he is acting like that in the huddle with 20 seconds left in a close game, then yes, it is not appropriate. But I think the environment called for his humor. That is Dun. He is a sarcastic funny guy and it came out on a day that fans get to know their players. That is a proper time to act like that, but if you see his interviews on pacers.com, when it comes to basketball he has serious conversations. There is a time and a place, you are right. This was just a different environment than you anticipate.

PS - You can change your avatar anytime you want. Gordon Hayward is not coming here. He would be Mike Dunleavy redux part II anyway.

Mark
09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
These PR induced apologies are so played out. I would have been perfectly fine with no comments at all. Everyone realizes the situation. If they want to change their ways they will, if not they won't. We clearly understand their intentions (i.e. "I don't want to get caught again"). I don't understand why the public needs this sort of apology every time something like this happens.

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
This is bad.

Although I do see your line of reasoning, I think its a little presumptious to assume this is what is going through Lance's mind. I think also that jail is not that realistic, but no need to go into the reasons why I feel this

I will take the flip side of this and say how many times do people say the most eloqunet response only to be a line of premeditated BS

The truth is time will tell

Major Cold
09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Obviously Rush has some sort of problem that the majority of the NBA does not have. Now they may all smoke pot. But their smoking pot is not a season problem like Rush. He was careless and I think to some degree he is not understanding what is the problem.

Brad888 it may very well be the mistake was not growing up and leaving his childhood friends behind. That was the attributed cause of the lifestyle that led to being caught.

But I hope I am right and you are wrong, although you could be right.

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Look I don't disagree with what you are saying, but it is media day. It is a light attitude and a fun day to kick the season off. It is a day for the fans and the team to have some fun. If he is acting like that in the huddle with 20 seconds left in a close game, then yes, it is not appropriate. But I think the environment called for his humor. That is Dun. He is a sarcastic funny guy and it came out on a day that fans get to know their players. That is a proper time to act like that, but if you see his interviews on pacers.com, when it comes to basketball he has serious conversations. There is a time and a place, you are right. This was just a different environment than you anticipate.

PS - You can change your avatar anytime you want. Gordon Hayward is not coming here. He would be Mike Dunleavy redux part II anyway.

Danny = Favorite player, Hayward = player I am most interested in following this season. I've even thought about starting an official Hayward thread on opening day to sorta record his nightly progress. I'd have to buy the league pass though so i can see the Jazz games, otherwise I'd feel like I'm just copy / pasting the box scores which would be stupid.

Now I don't disagree that Dun is a funny sarcastic guy, and sure he should be able to bring that side of him out when interacting with the fans and what not. But when I seen the over all tone of this media day, and how most of the players really came across with a sense of passion about the up coming season. To have a veteran like Dun sit there and Ham it up infront of the media and the fans on the internet just rubs me the wrong way. Now I will take into account the idea that the questions picked during that session were terrible, so whats a guy to do when Bruno lets questions through like if all the Duke players have an unspoken bond with each other, or any other stupid softball questions.

I'd just like to see alittle more passion about the season from a veteran who has done close to zilch for the last 2 seasons.

BillS
09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
But their smoking pot is not a season problem like Rush.

Unless the test was done last April and they waited until now to announce that he failed and was suspended, this was an off-season test and therefore doesn't necessarily indicate a "season problem", if such a thing exists.

Notwithstanding the typical attitude of "if you deny you have a problem then you have a problem", it is possible to have an issue with using an illegal substance without having an addiction to that substance. Continually thinking you won't get caught isn't the same as continually needing to have your stuff.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Or Was He.........?

The best part of this thread is the Gordon Heyward super-fan criticizing Mike Dunleavy.

OakMoses
09-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I think the most important thing to take from this article is Granger's leadership. Unfortunately, Rush and Lance are probly gonna repeat the behavior.

This is bad, or worse, and I'm ashamed this post got thanked.

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Is the pot smoking the problem? Or are there a lot bigger issues that Brandon has yet to deal with in life? Like lose a lot of the negative influences in his life. That is a much bigger problem and bigger obstacle for him as a man. Not an NBA player. Brandon might be putting in a lot of effort for his own life that keeps beign negated by the decisions he lets himself be a part of. Not saying no is as much of a decision as packing the bowl himself. He needs to realize that although smoking pot might not be his problem, its the effect it is having on his life. If you work for just about any union, you will probably get tested for drugs. You know that. You ignore that. Getting caught is the problem when your job is dependent on it. If you are a marketing consultant and you get your best ides when you're stoned, and there is no drug testing, then go for it. I know a lot more drunks that show up hungover and let it effect their life. There are no alcohol tests, because it is legal. Play the game. It's life. There are rules. Brandon needs to follow the rules. Is the pot smoking really hurting Brandon? Probably not a whole heck of a lot, but the adverse effects of allowing yourself to be detracted from in a professional sense hurts as much as anything.

No, I don't suppose smoking is that much of a problem if your body is so conditioned to it that the body assumes that the chemicals consumed are supposed to be there and are supposed to be having the impacts that they do, whether it be on the cannabinoid receptors in the brain or any other effects that the consumed chemicals are having on the lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, etc. that the body must adjust for through hormonal regulation and other physical coping mechanisms to reach what the autonomic nervous system perceives to be the stasis point for that body.

Of course, the very notion that the body assumes this is the definition of addiction to an activity that is in direct violation of the terms of his employment in the NBA. Brandon's statement, to me, reeks of someone who has not reached the first of the classic 12 steps with respect to addictions -- i.e. the admission that you have a problem that needs to both be addressed directly, as well as the admission being the driving catalyst for the remaining changes that he is trying to make to reduce the likelihood of falling back into his longer term behavioral patterns, including the smoking of pot.

Yes, many people consume recreational substances of various kinds, some legal, some illegal, with various impacts on their job performance, and those that do see it as no big deal as long as they are not caught, assuming that getting caught has a significant impact on them financially. Do those people change? Not very often, unless they believe that the consumption of the recreational substances is harming them enough financially that it impacts their ability to consume those substances in the near term, or unless they are convinced that they will suffer enough long term harm financially that they get scared straight and curtail their consumption. Neither seems to be the case for Brandon, unfortunately, because while 5 games without pay is significant money for most people, both Brandon and those around him realize that his money will be right back in place as soon as the suspension ends and they won't just go away quietly, and will likely do what they can to bait him into coming back to them in whatever way they can, especially those he has "been knowing a long time" that supposedly are part of the social circle that has reinforced his addiction.

A clause in the CBA that provides for stiffer penalties initially, and a quicker outright termination of contracts as a result of drug consumption, while the players association would fight tooth and nail to prevent it, would be the only way that the NBA could realistically combat this issue that supposedly is so commonplace for the players. Until that happens, oh well...drug consumption is apparently part of the NBA lifestyle, and suspensions are part of it for those who are stupid enough to get caught doing it during the known testing timeframes, being the regular season.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 11:37 AM

If you want serious answers, ask serious questions. Not a bunch of canned ones. I think Dun was poking fun at some of the silly, general questions. For example, the defense question, what a stupid question. Of course Dun will try hard on defense, he's just not a very good defensive player. Something Dun probably recognizes. He's a smart guy, he probably finds the idea of suddenly becoming a defensive stopper just as laughable as anyone else would. Of course he will try, but it was a poor question. Dun's not in the league for his defense, and he's not on this team for his defense...so why ask about his defense? What do you do in your free time was another pointless questions he was asked. What do you think of the new guys was the most canned and over used question in the entire chat. Talk about a waste of time.

What do you think about losing Troy was another stupid question, what do you expect him to say, "I cried tears of pain over losing Troy Murphy". Dun probably realizes Troy is gone what's the point of discussing him? You ask crappy/generic questions and you'll usually get crappy/generic answers, all Dun did was put a humorous spin on them.

Only one guy actually seemed to get serious questions and that was Collison.

As far as Rush and Stephenson having to answer serious questions so why shouldn't it Dun? Well I suppose that is one of the luxuries you earn yourself when you aren't failing your third drug test or being accused of physically assaulting your girlfriend and your kid's mother. Shame on Dun for not getting in trouble this offseason. That way he would have had to really face the music! I hope he promptly goes out and murders three people then we can really see what he's all about!

I'd say Dun's probably answered enough questions about his knee to last him a lifetime, so I don't think he really compares to Hansbrough.

Mike Dunleavy is not Danny Granger he shouldn't have to answer questions about his leadership, as he is not a key focal point of this team. He may not even be here next year.

DC has lofty expectations because it his second year and he is filling a position that hasn't been steady for the Pacers in over a decade. Dun plays a position that has been relatively talent laden for the Pacers for about the past twenty years. Plus he's been in the league for what, 7 years? He is who he is, he doesn't have any lofty expectation.

It was media day, a day to have fun. Thank God there was a guy who actually showed some humor. Roy did too, FWIW. I'm surprised you're not marching down to the Fieldhouse right now to give Roy tongue lashing for joking about bringing back the Mutombo finger wag.

You're right. Dunleavy totally let me down, I bet he slacked off last year on purpose. We should tie him up and give him forty lashings. After all in all those jokes, he clearly inferred that he thought he played well last season. Oh wait, there wasn't even a question about that. People were too busy asking him what he did during the offseason or what he thought of the rookies, or if he would suddenly become a defensive stopper. All relevant and well thought out questions to a guy who has been an offensive specialist since the day he was drafted.

Asking Dun if he's going to be greatly improved on defense this year is about as useful as asking Dahntay Jones if he will be in the 3pt shootout during the all star break. What do you really think the answer is going to be?

BPump33
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
It was media day, a day to have fun. Thank God there was a guy who actually showed some humor. Roy did too, FWIW. I'm surprised you're not marching down to the Fieldhouse right now to give Roy tongue lashing for joking about bringing back the Mutombo finger wag.

Jeff was funny, too. He answered my question by telling us Tyler wore a helmet.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Yeah, that comment rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Jeff was funny, too. He answered my question by telling us Tyler wore a helmet.

Exactly! What a poor veteran leader! How dare anyone have fun! After all it's not like basketball is a game or anything like that!

count55
09-28-2010, 11:42 AM

I didn't hear him ***** about LeBron once, so unless all of his responses were in Comic Sans, I don't know where you're going with this.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Also, the Duke question, what the hell? Whoever asked that should have to wear the dunce cap.

johndozark
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
The most important thing I saw in the Rush and Stephenson interviews was their each reporting Danny Granger's strong advice. How about ending any talk of trading Granger? So far as I have seen, Collison, Hibbert, and Granger are not only the solid players on which we build for the future, but also the solid characters around whom we build. I hope I am not wrong.

It does appear to me that Rush and Stephenson do not yet fully get it, but, if their teammates will help hold them accountable, they might just make it.

Speed
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I hope that Dunleavy being funny is one of the things we end up worrying about this season. That would be a good sign.

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I didn't hear him ***** about LeBron once, so unless all of his responses were in Comic Sans, I don't know where you're going with this.

I dunno. Maybe he should have had a Corvette attitude about it instead...

Speed
09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Also, the Duke question, what the hell? Whoever asked that should have to wear the dunce cap.

I counted about 12 questions that I thought were really good questions by a smart and thoughtful fan who has an excellent knowledge of the game.... :D

Brad8888
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
I counted about 12 questions that I thought were really good questions by a smart and thoughtful fan who has an excellent knowledge of the game.... :D

Both a gentleman and a scholar who should be lauded far and wide by his peers, that one...:D

BPump33
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM

The same guy that ruined my breakfast? :D

Speed
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I guess for me, in regards to Rush and Lance, I thought they did about as well as you can under the circumstances. All of the speculation won't matter, the proofs in the pudding.

If this is it for both of them as far as off the court stuff, it appears they'll get a second chance. I don't know if it's morally right or whatever, but that doesn't really matter, it is what it is.

So, if that is the circumstances, and they both can play and improve. I personally would want to watch Brandon in the wing rotation (starting or not) and Lance in the Point Guard/Wing rotation than Dahntay Jones or TJ Ford playing one minute. Add Posey to that scenario too, really. I have nothing against D Jones, Ford, or Posey (I'm a big young Posey fan btw), but for me, I rather watch those guys play because they are younger and have more potential to make the Pacers better in the long run.

Just my take. None of what's being said right now matters really, except the fact they'll get another chance, if the team can benefit from that, I'm on board, unless of course either of them get in trouble again.

Side note: wouldn't you rather watch a second team consisting of

Lance or AJ
Rush
Paul George
McBob
Foster

Than

TJ
D Jones
Posey
McBob
Foster

Speed
09-28-2010, 11:57 AM
The same guy that ruined my breakfast? :D

It was just Cheerios, not like it was a full Vegas breakfast buffet. :)

pacergod2
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
No, I don't suppose smoking is that much of a problem if your body is so conditioned to it that the body assumes that the chemicals consumed are supposed to be there and are supposed to be having the impacts that they do, whether it be on the cannabinoid receptors in the brain or any other effects that the consumed chemicals are having on the lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, etc. that the body must adjust for through hormonal regulation and other physical coping mechanisms to reach what the autonomic nervous system perceives to be the stasis point for that body.

Of course, the very notion that the body assumes this is the definition of addiction to an activity that is in direct violation of the terms of his employment in the NBA. Brandon's statement, to me, reeks of someone who has not reached the first of the classic 12 steps with respect to addictions -- i.e. the admission that you have a problem that needs to both be addressed directly, as well as the admission being the driving catalyst for the remaining changes that he is trying to make to reduce the likelihood of falling back into his longer term behavioral patterns, including the smoking of pot.

Yes, many people consume recreational substances of various kinds, some legal, some illegal, with various impacts on their job performance, and those that do see it as no big deal as long as they are not caught, assuming that getting caught has a significant impact on them financially. Do those people change? Not very often, unless they believe that the consumption of the recreational substances is harming them enough financially that it impacts their ability to consume those substances in the near term, or unless they are convinced that they will suffer enough long term harm financially that they get scared straight and curtail their consumption. Neither seems to be the case for Brandon, unfortunately, because while 5 games without pay is significant money for most people, both Brandon and those around him realize that his money will be right back in place as soon as the suspension ends and they won't just go away quietly, and will likely do what they can to bait him into coming back to them in whatever way they can, especially those he has "been knowing a long time" that supposedly are part of the social circle that has reinforced his addiction.

A clause in the CBA that provides for stiffer penalties initially, and a quicker outright termination of contracts as a result of drug consumption, while the players association would fight tooth and nail to prevent it, would be the only way that the NBA could realistically combat this issue that supposedly is so commonplace for the players. Until that happens, oh well...drug consumption is apparently part of the NBA lifestyle, and suspensions are part of it for those who are stupid enough to get caught doing it during the known testing timeframes, being the regular season.

Great post Brad. I think we basically were in agreement with a lot of this. The physical harm he does to himself is a decision he is making the moment he hits the pipe. That is problematic for his long-term health, and will have lesser realized problems in the short-term. I guess my point is that he is harming himself by smoking pot both from health, financial, and reputational standpoints. We know this. It is his maturation process that in my opinion is the bigger issue, which will take care of the other repurcussions he is dealing with now. If he wants to change he will. I think he doesn't seem to think smoking pot is that big of a deal. He is now seeing the repurcussions associated with his marijuana usage, and he doesn't realize the physical effects it is taking on him either. He is a great athlete in great shape, so he doesn't think twice about it. He looks terrible to his family and the franchise who have all been loyal to him. Sometimes embarassment is the catalyst for change. Like you said Step One is recognizing. Is it such a terrible thing if he smokes pot two or three times a year "recreationally", probably not. And that is how he looks at his usage. But in order to fail one, let alone three drug tests, do you have to be a daily smoker? Absolutely. Brandon has his wakeup call. He has a choice to change. If he doesn't change he will be like all the other low lifes that failed their way out of the NBA because of their decision making, not their ability.

I think Brandon is better than that. He has good influences around him with the team. (Let's hope that those bad influences are not on the team). He just needs to want to change. Is he mature enough to realize it?

pacergod2
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Damn you. Duke about had an anxiety attack for not getting a question. I didn't get a single one of mine posted. Sniff-Sniff-Tear.

Day-V
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Do you think its okay for Dun to take this tone during media day?
When he's asked a stupid question, why not give a stupid answer?

I'm sure it was one or more of the following things:

. Spend all day in the gym
. Take X-Amount of shots each day
. Work on Footwork
. Try and get stronger

Heaven forbid a guy have a little fun in a ****ing fan chat.

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
If you want serious answers, ask serious questions. Not a bunch of canned ones. I think Dun was poking fun at some of the silly, general questions. For example, the defense question, what a stupid question. Of course Dun will try hard on defense, he's just not a very good defensive player. Something Dun probably recognizes. He's a smart guy, he probably finds the idea of suddenly becoming a defensive stopper just as laughable as anyone else would. Of course he will try, but it was a poor question. Dun's not in the league for his defense, and he's not on this team for his defense...so why ask about his defense? What do you do in your free time was another pointless questions he was asked. What do you think of the new guys was the most canned and over used question in the entire chat. Talk about a waste of time.

What do you think about losing Troy was another stupid question, what do you expect him to say, "I cried tears of pain over losing Troy Murphy". Dun probably realizes Troy is gone what's the point of discussing him? You ask crappy/generic questions and you'll usually get crappy/generic answers, all Dun did was put a humorous spin on them.

Only one guy actually seemed to get serious questions and that was Collison.

As far as Rush and Stephenson having to answer serious questions so why shouldn't it Dun? Well I suppose that is one of the luxuries you earn yourself when you aren't failing your third drug test or being accused of physically assaulting your girlfriend and your kid's mother. Shame on Dun for not getting in trouble this offseason. That way he would have had to really face the music! I hope he promptly goes out and murders three people then we can really see what he's all about!

I'd say Dun's probably answered enough questions about his knee to last him a lifetime, so I don't think he really compares to Hansbrough.

Mike Dunleavy is not Danny Granger he shouldn't have to answer questions about his leadership, as he is not a key focal point of this team. He may not even be here next year.

DC has lofty expectations because it his second year and he is filling a position that hasn't been steady for the Pacers in over a decade. Dun plays a position that has been relatively talent laden for the Pacers for about the past twenty years. Plus he's been in the league for what, 7 years? He is who he is, he doesn't have any lofty expectation.

You're right. Dunleavy totally let me down, I bet he slacked off last year on purpose. We should tie him up and give him forty lashings. After all in all those jokes, he clearly inferred that he thought he played well last season. Oh wait, there wasn't even a question about that. People were too busy asking him what he did during the offseason or what he thought of the rookies, or if he would suddenly become a defensive stopper. All relevant and well thought out questions to a guy who has been an offensive specialist since the day he was drafted.

Asking Dun if he's going to be greatly improved on defense this year is about as useful as asking Dahntay Jones if he will be in the 3pt shootout during the all star break. What do you really think the answer is going to be?

To quote myself in an earlier post.

"Now I will take into account the idea that the questions picked during that session were terrible, so whats a guy to do when Bruno lets questions through like if all the Duke players have an unspoken bond with each other, or any other stupid softball questions.

I'd just like to see alittle more passion about the season from a veteran who has done close to zilch for the last 2 seasons. "

I don't know what me being a fan of Hayward has to do with Dunleavy playing like a girl for the last season. Sometimes I think many of you just want to pick a fight with me over Hayward. Like that's the immediate criticism you jump on as if it some how degrades my opinion. Pretty sad.

count55
09-28-2010, 12:33 PM
During the draft last year, I participated in a Daily Dime Live chat for ESPN. As one of the responders, I was effectively a moderator on the chat, so I saw all of the questions that were being submitted.

Since I'd never done it before, I got on line a few hours before the draft (around 4) to get the hang of it. We were getting a couple dozen questions a minute, and by the time that it was about a quarter after 7, it was up to over 200 questions a minute - scrolling up in a box on the side of the screen. It was nuts trying to scan through questions that were scrolling faster than I could read, pick ones worth answering, and get them answered without having 1,000 questions fly by - and I was doing that for myself.

I'm guessing you had Pacer (very) junior staff scanning the questions, choosing innocuous ones, reading them off to the player, then typing his verbal response. He or she is probably lowly paid, if at all, and TPTB probably had snipers with their rifles trained on them to keep them from picking anything too controversial.

The problem is that you can't answer really good questions in a forum that's designed to field several questions a minute.

Eleazar
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
But in order to fail one, let alone three drug tests, do you have to be a daily smoker? Absolutely.

Absolutely not true.

Depending on what kind of test they perform and how much the person smoked it can be detected from anywhere between 30 days and 3 months. I would assume they do a urine test which is anywhere between 3 days and 30 days depending on how much the person smoked.

So say Rush only smokes once or twice a month, but smokes a lot when he does, he could still easily be caught even if he doesn't smoke every day.

naptownmenace
09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
These PR induced apologies are so played out. I would have been perfectly fine with no comments at all. Everyone realizes the situation. If they want to change their ways they will, if not they won't. We clearly understand their intentions (i.e. "I don't want to get caught again"). I don't understand why the public needs this sort of apology every time something like this happens.

Actions speak louder than words and if we as Pacers fans haven't learned this after all the broken promises and empty apologies during the past 5 seasons... maybe we'll never learn.

avoidingtheclowns
09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Unless the test was done last April and they waited until now to announce that he failed and was suspended, this was an off-season test and therefore doesn't necessarily indicate a "season problem", if such a thing exists.

Pretty sure they don't test in the off-season. This is what makes this entire thing infinitely more boneheaded -- if you're going to partake the NBA gives you the entire summer to get your fill. All they ask is during the season you give it a rest.

Notwithstanding the typical attitude of "if you deny you have a problem then you have a problem", it is possible to have an issue with using an illegal substance without having an addiction to that substance. Continually thinking you won't get caught isn't the same as continually needing to have your stuff.

What else did you expect him to say at Pacers media day? Sure a more honest answer would be, "Professionals say that any time an activity begins to negatively impact your relationships, your personal goals or your job, then it's a problem. I'm suspended for five games - so in that way it is most certainly a problem and I have to bust my *** to not only make up for lost time on the court and play my way back out of the Pacers' doghouse, but I have to bust my *** to change some very basic elements that previously clouded my priorities (media and Brandon chuckle knowingly at the pun). But, is it as debilitating as my brother JaRon's drinking problem was? I don't believe so. There are fairly basic, albeit difficult, changes I can make to my life and environment and that's what I'm focusing on now."

But that's not what happened. Brandon didn't want to make his screw up the entire story from media day and neither did the Pacers so his answers were contrite but concise. His reaction afterwards to Clark was one of relief for having survived the media. If every time you messed up you were not only yelled at by your bosses and coworkers but by fans and then sent before a press firing squad? Seems like most people would probably handle it the exact same way Brandon did.

I agree It seems like Granger is really taking the leadership role to task this season. Now he needs to get on Dunleavy for being so non-schalant in his media day interviews. He was asked a question during the live chat about if he plans to step it on the defensive end now that his knee as healed. He answered "Haha, not likely." WTF. Come on Dun. take it seriously, you collect over 9 million this season, need you play your butt off.

You're ridiculous.

The exchange you're describing happened like this

[Comment From lvphill:] I love your offensive game. Is there any chance you will pick up on the defensive end this year?

Mike: Nope. Haha

What do you expect him to say?

"Mike you suck on defense, are you going to at least try to defend someone this year?"
"I spent all summer getting healthy and strengthening my knee. This is my first training camp in a few years so I'll be much more ready and healthy when the season begins."

These chats are useless - the only point is to give fans the sense that they have access to the players for a few seconds but the entire thing is orchestrated. No one is going to say anything groundbreaking or for that matter interesting. The people fielding the questions are getting probably 25 questions a minute to scan through and are going to choose the least controversial or sometimes a funny but easy question to respond to. That means the bulk of the questions that each player will tend to be the same junk:

"How do you feel about the new guys?"
"Are you looking forward to next season?"
"What have you worked on this summer with your game?"
"Who on the team is the most ________?"
"What do you do in your free time?"

Why in the world would you expect anything serious out of that? Why does it even matter what he says? Dunleavy certainly has his deficiencies as a player but being sarcastic during a media day chat with fans is hardly one of them.

EDIT: crap. or what count said...

Cool.

Anybody know where I can find the Dunleavy chat? The reports are so fascinating I want to see the actual thing for myself.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/chats.html

Love it.

Also, your signature sucks.

LoneGranger33
09-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Can someone clear up two things for me?
1) Was Brandon Rush's third failed drug test conducted during the season?
2) Did Brandon know about the results before they were publicly announced? And if so, when did he find out?

Any primary source information would be greatly appreciated.

MLB007
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM

I understand your reaction, but it's not the only way to look a at it.
Dunleavy is known to be a very smart guy with a cutting sense of humor. Not everyone gets that.
Then he's been in the league for awhile. I imagine those press things are interminable and boring as he!! for guys that have been through it numerous times.
And he's a professional, and this is a professional league. He will be 100% when the floor lights are on. Anything other than that is PR, which is all good, but tiring and boring most of the time.
This isn't high school. It's not game day.
So no need to see anyones game face. ;)

pacerDU
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
The most important thing I saw in the Rush and Stephenson interviews was their each reporting Danny Granger's strong advice.

This.

Putnam
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
People are still using the term "game face"?

I thought Bob Knight drove that term into disgrace years ago.

McKeyFan
09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
What else did you expect him to say at Pacers media day? Sure a more honest answer would be, "Professionals say that any time an activity begins to negatively impact your relationships, your personal goals or your job, then it's a problem. I'm suspended for five games - so in that way it is most certainly a problem and I have to bust my *** to not only make up for lost time on the court and play my way back out of the Pacers' doghouse, but I have to bust my *** to change some very basic elements that previously clouded my priorities (media and Brandon chuckle knowingly at the pun). But, is it as debilitating as my brother JaRon's drinking problem was? I don't believe so. There are fairly basic, albeit difficult, changes I can make to my life and environment and that's what I'm focusing on now."

ATC for Pacers PR Director.

McKeyFan
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/chats.html.

Yeah, I already went there to find the Dunleavy chat. Seems to have every chat but Duns.

Hmmmmmm . . . .

Speed
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Moderator:
Dunleavy is next up.

[Comment From Kim Kim : ]
Which of your teammates has the worst car?

Mike:
Jeff Foster. It's full of carseats and spilled baby food. It is strictly a mode of transportation.

[Comment From Gary Vengeance Gary Vengeance : ]
I have the first pick in NBA fantasy draft this year. Should I take you or Kevind Durant? I'm leaning towards you.

Mike:
I think you should pick Brian Scalabrine with it.

[Comment From Jeff Jeff : ]
What was it like growing up as the son of an NBA player?

Mike:
It was fun - I got to go to practice, the locker room, games - and I really learned a lot from my dad's players.

[Comment From tristan tristan : ]
Who has the nicest car?

Mike:
Josh McRoberts has a monster truck.

[Comment From Diamond Dave Diamond Dave : ]
What will you miss most about not playing with Troy Murphy?

Mike:
Everything. Especially him stealing my rebounds.

[Comment From Keith Keith : ]
do you have any pets?

Mike:
I've got a dog named Frankie.

[Comment From Maciej Bąk Maciej Bąk : ]
Hi Mike. who won burger challenge at Bub’s??

Mike:
Jeff Foster won by eating two. I was able to take down 1.

[Comment From lvphill lvphill : ]
I love your offensive game. Is there any chance you will pick up on the defensive end this year?

Mike:
Nope. Haha

What do you like to do in your free time?

Mike:
I like participating in LARP (live-action role play).

[Comment From Joe S. Joe S. : ]
Mike will the gold suit be making a reappearance? Any chance we might see one in Pacers blue?

Mike:
I hope not because that means I'll be out of the lineup.

[Comment From Speed Speed : ]
What advice would you give for improved basketball IQ for those who didn't grow up the son of a coach

Mike:
Watch as many basketball games as possible -- High School, College, Pro.

[Comment From S. Moore S. Moore : ]
do you have any specific goals for this season?

Mike:
Have a good time.

[Comment From Ricky Ricky : ]
Hey Mike, hope to see you back at 100% this season. What are your impressions of our recent additions and rookies?

Mike:
They are going to be excellent at picking up donuts each morning.

[Comment From Cole Cole : ]
Do you have an unspoken bond when you play other Blue Devils?

Mike:
We let eachother score on one another at will.

Mike:
thanks for your questions -- off to LARP.

Kid Minneapolis
09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Huh? I don't quite get your response to me, but do you think I was joking? Am I wrong for that opinion? I'm not saying I *hope* they repeat the behavior. As evidenced by Rush, he's already repeated it ---3 times. I don't think I'm too far off the mark, here.

McKeyFan
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Moderator:
Dunleavy is next up.

Which of your teammates has the worst car?

Mike:
Jeff Foster. It's full of carseats and spilled baby food. It is strictly a mode of transportation.

[Comment From Gary Vengeance Gary Vengeance : ]
I have the first pick in NBA fantasy draft this year. Should I take you or Kevind Durant? I'm leaning towards you.

Mike:
I think you should pick Brian Scalabrine with it.

[Comment From Jeff Jeff : ]
What was it like growing up as the son of an NBA player?

Mike:
It was fun - I got to go to practice, the locker room, games - and I really learned a lot from my dad's players.

[Comment From tristan tristan : ]
Who has the nicest car?

Mike:
Josh McRoberts has a monster truck.

[Comment From Diamond Dave Diamond Dave : ]
What will you miss most about not playing with Troy Murphy?

Mike:
Everything. Especially him stealing my rebounds.

[Comment From Keith Keith : ]
do you have any pets?

Mike:
I've got a dog named Frankie.

[Comment From Maciej Bąk Maciej Bąk : ]
Hi Mike. who won burger challenge at Bubís??

Mike:
Jeff Foster won by eating two. I was able to take down 1.

[Comment From lvphill lvphill : ]
I love your offensive game. Is there any chance you will pick up on the defensive end this year?

Mike:
Nope. Haha

What do you like to do in your free time?

Mike:
I like participating in LARP (live-action role play).

[Comment From Joe S. Joe S. : ]
Mike will the gold suit be making a reappearance? Any chance we might see one in Pacers blue?

Mike:
I hope not because that means I'll be out of the lineup.

[Comment From Speed Speed : ]
What advice would you give for improved basketball IQ for those who didn't grow up the son of a coach

Mike:
Watch as many basketball games as possible -- High School, College, Pro.

[Comment From S. Moore S. Moore : ]
do you have any specific goals for this season?

Mike:
Have a good time.

[Comment From Ricky Ricky : ]
Hey Mike, hope to see you back at 100% this season. What are your impressions of our recent additions and rookies?

Mike:
They are going to be excellent at picking up donuts each morning.

[Comment From Cole Cole : ]
Do you have an unspoken bond when you play other Blue Devils?

Mike:
We let eachother score on one another at will.

Mike:
thanks for your questions -- off to LARP.

Now that's just hysterical.

I needed to see the actual thing, because at first I thought guys were making posts and adding their own quip (like the one about Troy stealing rebounds).

There were four or five zingers in there that were top notch comedy. Well done, Dun.

bphil
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I would like to state for the record that my issues are behind me. Now pass the pipe or I'll throw you down the stairs.

Trophy
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm glad Danny, the star told both of these guys to grow up and be better people.

He's a great guy.

Hopefully they both learned their lessons and will understand the atmosphere of this franchise. Well at least Lance needs to learn.

Putnam
09-28-2010, 04:07 PM
How come all the criticism for Dunleavy, Rush and Stephenson? If anybody needs to be faulted for his comments, it is Roy Hibbert. According to the quote in Speed's signature, Roy seems to be putting the burden for improving the team on "you."

"Me, personally, I just want to get better and think about what you can do to position yourself better next year," said Hibbert.

Call me crazy, but I think Hibbert ought to take some person responsibility for what HE can do to position HIMSELF better next year!

avoidingtheclowns
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Can someone clear up two things for me?
1) Was Brandon Rush's third failed drug test conducted during the season?
2) Did Brandon know about the results before they were publicly announced? And if so, when did he find out?

Any primary source information would be greatly appreciated.

1) There is nothing about NBA players being tested during the off-season, just during the season.

Players will be subject to 4 random drug tests per season and penalties for use of performance-enhancing drugs will be increased.
http://www.nba.com/news/cba_050621.html

2) If you mean did he know he'd previously tested positive on two occasions, then yes.

If you mean did he know he'd failed a third time before it was publicly announced as a violation, here is a relevant section of the CBA:

ARTICLE XXXIII ... ANTI-DRUG PROGRAM
Section 4 --- Testing

(d) The NBA shall promptly notify the Players Association of any positive test conducted by the NBA, and shall thereafter notify the player. The Medical Director shall promptly notify the NBA and the Players Association of any positive test conducted by the Medical Director, and (i) if the positive test will result in a penalty to be imposed on the player, the NBA shall thereafter notify the player of such test result and such penalty, or (ii) if the positive test will not result in a penalty to be imposed on the player, the Medical Director shall thereafter notify the player of such test result.

(e) Any player who is notified of a positive test pursuant to Section 4(d) above may, within two (2) business days of such notification, inform the NBA and the Players Association that he requests testing of the split or "B" sample of his specimen. Any such test shall be subject to the provisions of this Section 4 and shall be performed within ten (10) business days of the player's request. The test of the "B" sample will be performed at a laboratory other than the laboratory that performed the test on the original or "A" sample.

http://www2.bc.edu/~yen/Sports/NBA%20CBA.pdf

It doesn't specify how soon the NBA would inform the player and the team compared to making the suspension/violation official.

Pacers4Life
09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
People are still using the term "game face"?

I thought Bob Knight drove that term into disgrace years ago.

Whoa whoa whoa. There is NOTHING wrong with gettin' your game face on.
This video does no justice, but my statement stands.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTfHjaKBXuQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTfHjaKBXuQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

graphic-er
09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm gonna pile on Dunleavy alittle more here, he was asked - "do you have any specific goals for this season?"

He replies, "have a good time." WTF. Can we please trade this loser now? How about play up to the level I was at pre-injury. Or how about to WIN?

This obviously alludes to last season when he said that the season had been on of the hardest for him.
Guess that 9 million a year he has been making just don't ease his hard times.

90'sNBARocked
09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna pile on Dunleavy alittle more here, he was asked - "do you have any specific goals for this season?"

He replies, "have a good time." WTF. Can we please trade this loser now? How about play up to the level I was at pre-injury. Or how about to WIN?

This obviously alludes to last season when he said that the season had been on of the hardest for him.

My friend

I dont think its that serious. He was merley trying to inject some humor into what would otherwise be a very boring and monetonous interview

Do you rememebr how extreemly hard he had to work to come back from what many thought was a career ending injury?

Please dont read into it. He was just having fun , and he made me chuckle

Sookie
09-28-2010, 04:42 PM

He was joking that entire chat. I wouldn't take a thing he said seriously.

BornReady
09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

wait I honestly can't tell if you're pulling a Dunleavy right now in this thread and you're just messing with us...

Day-V
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Gordon Hayward is not coming here.

Thank God.

Trader Joe
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM

LOL. Is this real life?

BornReady
09-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Thank Utah Jazz.

fixed

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Thank God.me 2

Anthem
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
I wanted Dunleavy traded three years ago. And I'd still have no problem with him being traded before opening day, if we could get some value in return.

But that chat is awesome. Everything about it was good. Stealing rebounds? Scoring at will? LARP? Donuts?

That's high-quality stuff right there.

Anthem
09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
The best part of this thread is the Gordon Heyward super-fan criticizing Mike Dunleavy.
:laugh: People ignore Mike Dunleavy to their peril. I mean, he's got fantastic fundamentals and he plays the game the right way.

:devil:

Anthem
09-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Side note: wouldn't you rather watch a second team consisting of

Lance or AJ
Rush
Paul George
McBob
Foster

Than

TJ
D Jones
Posey
McBob
Foster
About a billion times out of a billion.

focused444
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM

I was really hoping he wasn't kidding about the finger wag. :(

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:22 PM

This is bad.

I totally agree, and not because I like Rush's game. I was worried about this situation, but to me his response definitely runs well over toward the side of "this might be sincere" when you place it next to the multitude of other apologies and comments post-F up.

Lance OTOH is giving a far more company line, straight from the agent or whomever coaches guys in their PR. Putty is right about this not being behind him and it comes off like exactly the kind of attitude that allows this stuff to happen. I want it to be gone so therefore it is with no sense of gravity.

Rush sounds a lot more like a guy that got a scare put into him, like he saw his next NBA check go bye-bye, like a guy that just maybe saw where the careers of his brothers went and knows this is fragile.

Maybe it's BS but it just seemed a lot more serious than that, far more than I would have hoped for.

And obviously Granger getting on the phone in both cases is outstanding. I'm really hopeful about the role model aspect of Roy and Granger.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
It Could Have been Worse Than comic Sans You Know.

But epic response nonetheless. Ditto ATC btw.

focused444
09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Lance OTOH is giving a far more company line, straight from the agent or whomever coaches guys in their PR. Putty is right about this not being behind him and it comes off like exactly the kind of attitude that allows this stuff to happen. I want it to be gone so therefore it is with no sense of gravity.

For conversation sake, should we look at Lance's statement with a grain of salt because he's not the most articulate fella? Just saying...:whoknows:

Sookie
09-28-2010, 11:38 PM
For conversation sake, should we look at Lance's statement with a grain of salt because he's not the most articulate fella? Just saying...:whoknows:

I think so.

And I also think Lance's situation is much more complicated than Brandon's. Lance just can't go into an honest explanation of his wrongdoings and how he's trying to get better. Because quite frankly, either he's innocent or he's not..so basically all he can say is "I won't put myself in a bad situation any more." And we'll see what happens.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Yes, but...

The thing with changing your life and introspection is that it requires some intelligence, and I don't mean in some basic "Dummy vs Genius" thing.

For example, going to college for whatever specialty carries the added benefit of learning "how to think", which includes more organized expression of thought in both writing and speaking. You learn how others have thought before you as you follow their insights, you obviously read and write, and your thought patterns are critiqued.

It's far more than just learning how to put chemicals together or math or law or writing.

And in turn a BYPRODUCT of intelligence (learned) is greatly improved articulation. It is true that you can be street smart, but even then your thoughts will flow far more effortlessly and carry more insight than someone who's just not as sharp or who hasn't been challenged to improve their organization of thoughts.

So Lance might have an IQ of 140 and might understand basketball, but an inability to express insight, especially for an issue like this, seems to indicate to me a far greater chance that he lacks the skills to escape his pattern of behavior. At least on his own.

To me this is where guys like John Lucas or Jim Brown have success. They introduce the necessary level of insight to guys that otherwise aren't challenged to find it, along with discipline of course. But discipline without the awareness behind it of why it is helping you just doesn't last long without that outside influence.

I think so.

And I also think Lance's situation is much more complicated than Brandon's. Lance just can't go into an honest explanation of his wrongdoings and how he's trying to get better. Because quite frankly, either he's innocent or he's not..so basically all he can say is "I won't put myself in a bad situation any more." And we'll see what happens.
True. But I do think he indicates a sentiment that this incident is past him when it's clearly not. He doesn't have to say anything about details, but he could say something that acknowledged that he's got major hurdles still ahead of him.

I'm really not trying to nitpick, but I think Putty is right in sensing that feeling of "well that's past me so now I'm fine" mentality. In contrast Rush gives an indication that he's just beginning a long battle with high consequences if he loses.

focused444
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes, but...

The thing with changing your life and introspection is that it requires some intelligence, and I don't mean in some basic "Dummy vs Genius" thing.

For example, going to college for whatever specialty carries the added benefit of learning "how to think", which includes more organized expression of thought in both writing and speaking. You learn how others have thought before you as you follow their insights, you obviously read and write, and your thought patterns are critiqued.

It's far more than just learning how to put chemicals together or math or law or writing.

And in turn a BYPRODUCT of intelligence (learned) is greatly improved articulation. It is true that you can be street smart, but even then your thoughts will flow far more effortlessly and carry more insight than someone who's just not as sharp or who hasn't been challenged to improve their organization of thoughts.

So Lance might have an IQ of 140 and might understand basketball, but an inability to express insight, especially for an issue like this, seems to indicate to me a far greater chance that he lacks the skills to escape his pattern of behavior. At least on his own.

To me this is where guys like John Lucas or Jim Brown have success. They introduce the necessary level of insight to guys that otherwise aren't challenged to find it, along with discipline of course. But discipline without the awareness behind it of why it is helping you just doesn't last long without that outside influence.

We can only hope Lance crosses paths with someone willing, and knowledgable enough to teach him why it would help him. To me there is no reason to teach something to someone if you can't include insight. You're correct the disciplinarian becomes the enemy, and eventually ignored.

Is there any chance Lance's response was constructed around the fact he still has a court date pending, and was told not to say anything else?

kidneypuncher
09-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Yes, but...

True. But I do think he indicates a sentiment that this incident is past him when it's clearly not. He doesn't have to say anything about details, but he could say something that acknowledged that he's got major hurdles still ahead of him.

I'm really not trying to nitpick, but I think Putty is right in sensing that feeling of "well that's past me so now I'm fine" mentality. In contrast Rush gives an indication that he's just beginning a long battle with high consequences if he loses.

Assuming a lack of insight and motivation to change made by a few sentences. He has an ongoing case, what do you expect him to say? How much guilt should he admit out loud until his case is done? How certain are you of your beliefs of his motivation to change and insight based on a press conference while his case is ongoing?

LoneGranger33
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
By asking the questions about the date of Rush's drug test (and when he found out versus the rest of us), I was trying to determine whether his rumored-to-be-great offseason was a response to the knowledge that he had screwed up and thus should be taken as a sign of his newfound maturity. From what atc posted, it sounds like the jury is still out on this one.

graphic-er
09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
wait I honestly can't tell if you're pulling a Dunleavy right now in this thread and you're just messing with us...

Well once you see how many people just get utterly bent out of shape by just stating your opinion about a player's interview and his performance over the last year. It becomes a bit of both. :-p

pacergod2
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
By asking the questions about the date of Rush's drug test (and when he found out versus the rest of us), I was trying to determine whether his rumored-to-be-great offseason was a response to the knowledge that he had screwed up and thus should be taken as a sign of his newfound maturity. From what atc posted, it sounds like the jury is still out on this one.

I think that Brandon had a pretty good idea before he peed in that cup for the third time that he wasn't going to pass it. I have a feeling that is the reason he went to go live with Earl Watson for the summer in Los Angeles. From one angle, he can go to the pickup games that are supposed to be really good in LA. And secondly, to sustain a different environment with a positive influence for the summer, away from the poor influences he was surrounding himself in Indy. Hopefully Brandon got a few pointers from Kobe! (from a basketball perspective guys.... not forced sex in a Colorado hotel influence).

Putnam
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I think that Brandon had a pretty good idea before he peed in that cup for the third time that he wasn't going to pass it. I have a feeling that is the reason he went to go live with Earl Watson for the summer in Los Angeles. From one angle, he can go to the pickup games that are supposed to be really good in LA. And secondly, to sustain a different environment with a positive influence for the summer, away from the poor influences he was surrounding himself in Indy.

Are the bad connections that Rush needs to sever in Indianapolis? I was supposing Kansas City is the place he needs to tread more carefully.

Larry Staverman
09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Are the bad connections that Rush needs to sever in Indianapolis? I was supposing Kansas City is the place he needs to tread more carefully.

I would guess that like in Shawne Williams case the posse followed the fountain of cash to Indy.

Also the statements at the presser were meaningless. Watch what they do not what they say. That will answer the questions.

Ozwalt72
09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
This is bad.

Overanalyzing Media Day 101 - Professor Putnam

A.) Lurking in the stairwell? From what I understood, it was outside his apartment. Small point to make, but you make it sound like he's sitting out there waiting to mug random girlfriends.

B.) Yes, own up to what you did on media day a couple weeks before your trial. If you're honest enough, the prosecutors will go easy on you!

C.) Real reform doesn't begin in a press conference. It begins with those he is close to. His family and his employer.

He says "That's behind me" in an effort to move past the questions about his problems. To deflect worry. To show confidence that he can avoid these issues, move past them.

To pull more out of this than what there is....is, I'm sorry, just daft.

pacergod2
09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Are the bad connections that Rush needs to sever in Indianapolis? I was supposing Kansas City is the place he needs to tread more carefully. .

Yeah, but if he is failing these drug tests during the season, those influences damn near have to be in Indianapolis, but probably were his friends from college or growing up in Kansas City.

Putnam
09-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Also the statements at the presser were meaningless. Watch what they do not what they say. That will answer the questions.

Nothing is meaningless, except the comments of uninvolved and uninformed persons. (By which I mean the media in general, not you or anyone else in particular.)

But look, Brandon Rush's comment was not meaningless. Life consists of moments, and that comment was the right thing to do at that moment. That doesn't close the book on his misconduct by a large margin, but it was a good step.

What if your mother walked into the kitchen and caught you with your hand in the cookie jar? You could remove your hand and say, "Sorry" and look ashamed. You could continue eating cookies and look at her and say, "Screw you, mom. I'm hungry!" Or you could hide a fistful of cookies behind your back and say, "No, I'm not!"

You might still get punished even with the first response if she's set on enforcing the "No Cookies" rule. But at least the apology and the penitent look would be the right thing to do.

About Rush, you're right about "watch what he does." We're still expecting a lot of Rush going forward: No more drug infractions, ever. Keeping clean this season won't be enough. He's got to stay clean for the rest of his career. He's got to play better basketball than he's done up to now if he wants to avoid becoming the third wash-out Rush brother.

Putnam
09-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Overanalyzing Media Day 101 - Professor Putnam

A.) Lurking in the stairwell? From what I understood, it was outside his apartment. Small point to make, but you make it sound like he's sitting out there waiting to mug random girlfriends.

B.) Yes, own up to what you did on media day a couple weeks before your trial. If you're honest enough, the prosecutors will go easy on you!

C.) Real reform doesn't begin in a press conference. It begins with those he is close to. His family and his employer.

He says "That's behind me" in an effort to move past the questions about his problems. To deflect worry. To show confidence that he can avoid these issues, move past them.

To pull more out of this than what there is....is, I'm sorry, just daft.

A. McKeyFan has clarified that Stephenson was probably waiting inside the apartment. I retract my earlier "lurking in the stairwell" wording. But nevertheless Stephenson was looking for a fight. He confronted the woman outside in the landing/stairwell.

B. I don't get the point of this. I did not imply that I thought Stephenson should confess anything of provide details of the incident during Media Day.

C. You are right that "real reform doesn't begin in a press conference." You may be mistaken that "It begins with those he's close to. If Stephenson is convicted, it will begin in a jail cell or a court-ordered rehab program.

I think you are right that these are Stephenson's motivations and reasons for saying what he said. My point is that it is the wrong way to deal with it. Any 12-Step leader or addiction counselor, almost any person who's quit smoking or heavy drinking would say the same thing. You never say, "Oh, yeah, I'm past that." Especially not when it isn't true.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
OT a bit, but RE: Lance,

The stairwell bit has never bothered me, I could see where perhaps there was some sort of confrontation involving how late she was returning or who she was with, and things became heated, perhaps she made a movement towards Lance, and he tried to push away from her and she stumbled down the stairs. I could see how that could happen.

The part that has bothered me, is the final bit about him slamming her head against the bottom stair. Now, that could be a lie made up by her girlfriends, but it is still the most disturbing part to cope with and try to understand.

Ozwalt72
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I think you are right that these are Stephenson's motivations and reasons for saying what he said. My point is that it is the wrong way to deal with it. Any 12-Step leader or addiction counselor, almost any person who's quit smoking or heavy drinking would say the same thing. You never say, "Oh, yeah, I'm past that." Especially not when it isn't true.

My point is that you can't take what he said on media day as an indication of where he's at as far as counseling and dealing with the issue goes. It's a pretty canned response, really. He does have the court date to deal with, so he's likely under some strict rules with his lawyer. Even if he doesn't give any relevant details out, him saying that he's sorry about the incident still implies that something serious happened, and could be used to argue for a higher penalty than what he may receive otherwise. There's a correct time and place to show his remorse. It's not a few weeks before trial.

What I was trying to say with B.) was that there is very little you can say in that situation that would be meaningful in a positive way.

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, but...

I dont know what you guys expect him to say. His case is still pending, and I am sure his lawyers, PR people etc. have cautioned him about really saying anything. He cant really apologize because that would assume guilt. As far as trying to read what is in one's head, I approach that with caution, it is pure speculation, and the bottom line it doesnt matter what is said, but their actions that follow in the days to come

I ampulling for both as I like the comeback

count55
09-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I did not see the presser, and I have no real sympathy for Stephenson, but the only thing I'd note is that the words that you're responding to, Putty, are Rabjohn's, not Stephenson's.

Stephenson explains

Pacers rookie point guard Lance Stephenson said he felt his issues are behind him, as well.

The New York native awaits an Oct. 19 court date for multiple charges, including felony assault, for allegedly pushing the mother of his child down some stairs during an August incident in Brooklyn.

"I'm just trying to be a better person on and off the court, move forward and stay focused," Stephenson said.

A heralded point guard from New York, Stephenson's previous off-court issues contributed to his falling from a first-round draft pick to the second round. He also got a call from Granger.

"He told me, 'You have to be a better person off the court,' " the 6-5 Stephenson said. "You can't get into the drama and stuff like that."

The black bolded are the only statements I know of that are directly attributable to Lance. The red bolded is Rabjohn's summation. It's probably generically accurate, but I don't think it's a strong enough basis to clearly define Stephenson's approach or attitude to the situation if for no other reason than it's being filtered through another person.

Sookie
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
OT a bit, but RE: Lance,

The stairwell bit has never bothered me, I could see where perhaps there was some sort of confrontation involving how late she was returning or who she was with, and things became heated, perhaps she made a movement towards Lance, and he tried to push away from her and she stumbled down the stairs. I could see how that could happen.

The part that has bothered me, is the final bit about him slamming her head against the bottom stair. Now, that could be a lie made up by her girlfriends, but it is still the most disturbing part to cope with and try to understand.

Well yes, that and the girl's father saying this is not the first "violence" issue. Which I have to say...bothers me in more ways than just Lance doing it.

90'sNBARocked
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.fox59.com/sports/isn-092810-pacers-granger-rookies,0,5968641.story
By Larry Hawley, IndySportsNation.com

INDIANAPOLIS —

For just a second, he might have paused while looking at the number that popped up on his phone.

It was a call that came to Brandon Rush not long after he was suspended five games by the NBA for violation of the league's substance abuse policy in August.

Many probably came in during this time, but this one was a surprise considering the location of the caller.

"When he heard about the suspension he called me from overseas," said Rush of his teammate Danny Granger.

The forward was in Turkey playing for Team USA in the World Championships, eventually helping them to win the title. But in this instance he was acting as the elder statesmen on the Pacers' roster-but he became a father figure during this particular exchange.

"Gave me an earful," said Rush of the call from Granger. "He told me 'Just move on from it and just come back ready when your suspension is up.'"

Unfortunately for the Pacers-and Granger himself-this was the second time he'd had to place such a call when something went awry with a teammate off the court.

On August 15th, rookie guard Lance Stephenson was arrested for allegedly pushing his girlfriend down a staircase in New York. He was charge with second-degree assault, made national headlines, and forced Granger to his phone.

"After what happened with Lance, I talked with him for a long time," said Granger. "He's really young. A 19, a 20-year old, you're kinda thrown into a situation where you really don't know how to handle yourself and you forget you are in the spotlight now.

"You can't do certain things. It's a learning process for him."

While his path never featured such an incident, its one that Granger remembered going through as a rookie in 2005. That was six years ago, and with his experience in the league, the forward feels like it is his duty to reach out to the younger players as they adjust to the professional basketball.

"I've experienced a lot, and I've had a lot of vets around me," said Granger of his career. "I've been here when we was winning and when we weren't winning. So with all that experience I definitely feel I have to se the young guys on the right path."

That's why he made the calls immediately to the two young Pacers who went astray a month ago. It was Stephenson, however, to which he has devoted much time, considering he is just 20 years old and has had a history of past problems.

"As one of the older guys, I've definitely take it upon myself to help mentor him because, like I said, he's an extraordinarily talented," said Granger of Stephenson. "He's really, really talented. So he can definitely help us, we've just got to keep his head right."
Stephenson-who will go to court to face those charges on October 19th-is well aware of the efforts of Granger since his incident, and feels like it has helped him as training camp opens this week at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I looked up to him coming to the Pacers, so by him calling me I felt really good and real confident that the team is behind me," said Stephenson of Granger reaching out

avoidingtheclowns
09-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I think that Brandon had a pretty good idea before he peed in that cup for the third time that he wasn't going to pass it. I have a feeling that is the reason he went to go live with Earl Watson for the summer in Los Angeles.

I figured Earl might have just wanted a potential witness (http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/11/nba-player-earl-watson-jennifer-freeman-my-wife-and-kids-indiana-pacers-bite-attack-ucla/) around.

pacergod2
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
I figured Earl might have just wanted a potential witness (http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/11/nba-player-earl-watson-jennifer-freeman-my-wife-and-kids-indiana-pacers-bite-attack-ucla/) around.

Geez... I wonder how awkward that was for Brandon to be around the house after that incident. Hilarious.

McKeyFan
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Sounds like they are a happy family again.

But she probably subs out the ironing to the nearby cleaners.

BringJackBack
09-29-2010, 10:49 PM
LOL. Is this real life?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txqiwrbYGrs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

didnt his parents get grilled for putting this on youtube?? i remember it was on the news