PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter twitter - 18 game season a done deal

vapacersfan
09-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Adam_Schefter

RT @espnnfl Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian says 18-game NFL season is done deal: http://es.pn/9D3GGB (http://es.pn/9D3GGB) half a minute ago via web
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/25734218172 (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/25734218172)

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
YESS MORE FOOTBALL

vapacersfan
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM
As I said on the Redskins forum I frequent:

If we lose 2 pre-season games and gain 2 regular season games, I am fine with that.

If they keep all 4 regular season games, I think thats a mistake.

Basketball Fan
09-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I think this sucks why fix something that isn't broke and if you thought resting starters was bad when the Colts were 14-0 imagine with an 18 game season....

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I think this sucks why fix something that isn't broke and if you thought resting starters was bad when the Colts were 14-0 imagine with an 18 game season....

i never thought some1 would be mad about more football

Basketball Fan
09-27-2010, 10:14 PM
i never thought some1 would be mad about more football

There may be more games but it doesn't mean that you'll get more football(quality wise) instead of two preseason games before the season they'll be at the end.

It affects everything: injuries, etc.

I like it the way it is.

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
There may be more games but it doesn't mean that you'll get more football(quality wise) instead of two preseason games before the season they'll be at the end.

It affects everything: injuries, etc.

I like it the way it is.

i hate preseason i can deal with more injuries if we dont have the 2 preseason games. Bet season ticket holders are happy.

Basketball Fan
09-27-2010, 10:25 PM
i hate preseason i can deal with more injuries if we dont have the 2 preseason games. Bet season ticket holders are happy.

Depends on how much the new ticket packages will end up being and like I said after the decision debacle of last season if another team does that later on(although I doubt another team will throw away a possible perfect season like we did) and the ticket prices are even higher that won't go over well. Not in this economy

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Depends on how much the new ticket packages will end up being and like I said after the decision debacle of last season if another team does that later on(although I doubt another team will throw away a possible perfect season like we did) and the ticket prices are even higher that won't go over well. Not in this economy

The fact is the season ticket holders have been paying full price for preseason football lol

xBulletproof
09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Not a fan at all. Expanding seasons like this make previous players records look silly. It makes for an uneven playing field. Imagine Chris Johnson with 2 more games to run last year. He breaks Dickerson's record.

Guys like Jim Brown who's TD and yardage totals look pale in comparison now because of the sheer number of games played. You give Jim Brown a full 16-18 game schedule and it would be interesting what he could put up.

xBulletproof
09-27-2010, 10:32 PM
The only people who care about the lost perfect season are exceedingly few. You just happen to be one Basketball Fan.

Outside of Colts fans nobody even remembers. Colts sure don't seem to be struggling selling tickets because of it either.

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Not a fan at all. Expanding seasons like this make previous players records look silly. It makes for an uneven playing field. Imagine Chris Johnson with 2 more games to run last year. He breaks Dickerson's record.

Guys like Jim Brown who's TD and yardage totals look pale in comparison now because of the sheer number of games played. You give Jim Brown a full 16-18 game schedule and it would be interesting what he could put up.

so in the 1930s they played 10 games we should go back to that so the records are fair lol

Day-V
09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm not a fan of this, for the simple fact that the season has always started the weekend of my birthday and i always thought of the Season Opener as a birthday present for me. Now it seems like the season will be starting in mid-to-late August. Booooo.

In order for them to do this, this means they'll have to expand the Gameday and Active Rosters. I bet they go from 53 to 60 or so.

Basketball Fan
09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
The only people who care about the lost perfect season are exceedingly few. You just happen to be one Basketball Fan.

Outside of Colts fans nobody even remembers. Colts sure don't seem to be struggling selling tickets because of it either.

You'd be wrong about nobody remembering it will always be referenced nobody gives up 14-0 like that except us apparently. Al and Cris on SNF talked about it for about 5 minutes during the Colts/Giants game and even they didn't buy Manning being okay with it like he claimed. It will never be forgotten just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't. Selling tickets isn't the issue nobody blamed the players as far as I recall just Polian and Caldwell.

Which is my issue here why would he endorse a longer season when he had no interest in playing all out when we were on the verge of a possibly perfect one ourselves? Is $$$ more important to him than the team's health. Wasn't that his reasoning for resting starters in the first place? Doesn't this add to the injury total?

I mean the dude is just fully of hypocritical BS and really that's the biggest problem I have with the guy. We know you're full of crap why act as if we don't know that already?

Hicks
09-28-2010, 12:55 AM
I cared about 16-0...

SoupIsGood
09-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Colts fans care of course, but the most NFL fans probably forgot about it completely as soon as we lost the superbowl. No one really cares that we tossed away our chance at 18-1.

Sparhawk
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
I actually don't like this. 16 games are the perfect amount.

pacer4ever
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
I cared about 16-0...

the Colts didnt, also it retrospecte it doesnt mean much.

vapacersfan
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Two things I have heard today:

1. The owners all agreed, but this does not mean it will happen 100%.

2. If it does go through, there is a good chance we will see an additional bye week

Basketball Fan
09-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Colts fans care of course, but the most NFL fans probably forgot about it completely as soon as we lost the superbowl. No one really cares that we tossed away our chance at 18-1.

That's the thing we'll never really know we could've been 19-0 the only way we'd be 18 and 1 is if we win the first 18 games and lost the SB. We didn't we lost two games at the end of the regular season and the SB. Go figure.

Have to admit after that I thought we'd be 1 and done but instead they made it more painful by going to the Super Bowl and blowing it.

Young
09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't like it at all.

I know it's more football. However like a lot of things quantity is not quality.

I really think 16 was the perfect number of games. Not too short and not too long by the time you count the post season.

Peyton said it himself he is not in favor of this because they will take away from OTAs in the summer. Take away OTAs and you take away a guy like Blair White being able to step in like he did.

Roger G and the owners will argue that this is good because season ticket holders had to pay for those crappy pre season games. Well the NFL doesn't have to charge season ticket holders for those games but they do to justify more money and now it won't be long for season ticket prices to go up because regular season is more desirable to watch than pre season.

This is about one thing and one thing only....putting more money into the pockets of the owners and the NFL. That's it. It's not about the players or the fans. It's about expanding the bottom line.

pacer4ever
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't like it at all.

I know it's more football. However like a lot of things quantity is not quality.

I really think 16 was the perfect number of games. Not too short and not too long by the time you count the post season.

Peyton said it himself he is not in favor of this because they will take away from OTAs in the summer. Take away OTAs and you take away a guy like Blair White being able to step in like he did.

Roger G and the owners will argue that this is good because season ticket holders had to pay for those crappy pre season games. Well the NFL doesn't have to charge season ticket holders for those games but they do to justify more money and now it won't be long for season ticket prices to go up because regular season is more desirable to watch than pre season.

This is about one thing and one thing only....putting more money into the pockets of the owners and the NFL. That's it. It's not about the players or the fans. It's about expanding the bottom line.

if you add another bye week and extend the rosters into the mid 60s like they have talked about. i think that would help with injuries and quality of play

Flibertygibits
09-29-2010, 08:02 PM

I can agree with this 100%...I wonder what the NFLPA has to say about this since it's players are going to be effected by all this.

This could be the second biggest mistake they could make, at least in my eyes. The first? Moving the draft to prime time TV. I used to plan my weekend around the draft and always enjoyed it for some reason.