PDA

View Full Version : Granger vs. Melo

MillerTime
09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
This isnt a trade proposal, its merely a question of "would you trade Granger (and fillers) for Melo?"

If Denver right now is in talks with 76ers regarding a Melo for Andre Iguodala (Im sure there more to the trade) trade (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69289/20100926/nuggets_sixers_discussing_melo_for_iguodala/), then Im pretty sure that the Pacers have a shot of acquiring Melo with Granger being the centerpeice of the trade.

The one downfall would be that Melo would definitely have to sign an extension and Im more than positive that that extension would be the max. Granger has a considerably reasonable contract compared to his peers. But overall, I think Melo is the better player out of the two and Melo is healthier.

So what do you guys think? Do you think its worth the Pacers to take a shot and moving Granger and possibly D. Jones or Rush for Melo?

Unclebuck
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=56067&highlight=carmello+anthony+granger

Speed
09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
We did this about a month or so ago, but I've changed my mind. I said no back then. I think looking at it closer, Melo is near elite talent and younger. I like Danny, but I think I'd take Melo.

It's not going to happen, Melo wouldn't come here and stay at this point in the franchises rebuilding.

MillerTime
09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
We did this about a month or so ago, but I've changed my mind. I said no back then. I think looking at it closer, Melo is near elite talent and younger. I like Danny, but I think I'd take Melo.

It's not going to happen, Melo wouldn't come here and stay at this point in the franchises rebuilding.

Theres talks with NJ and theyre rebuilding

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Whoever answer no is a huge homer, Melo is a way better player and has not Even hit his prime

Speed
09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Theres talks with NJ and theyre rebuilding

Seems kinda the same, but Lopez is more highly regarded than any other non Granger Pacer, right now, and should be, imo. NJ has JayZ, we have Slick. NJ is going to NY (Brooklyn), we are hopefully staying in Indy. NJ has Russian Mark Cuban, we have Simon.

I mean I love Indy and our team, etc. I'm just saying the NJ situation is different from a Carmelo and his teams perspective.

As for Phillie, I would seriously doubt that Carmelo would sign and extension and go there, without the extension, what's the point in trading for him, imo?

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Speed I think is safe to assume that whoever is going to trade for him would make him sign an extention and not just that but also his approval to be traded to that team.

rm14
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll just go ahead and say that I am just as big of a Pacer fan as there is, but there is no way I wouldn't trade Granger + filler for Melo. He is at the worst a top 12 player in the league. Obviously it would depend on who the filler was, but if it wasn't any of our "core" players then ofcourse I would make this trade.

Obviously this is a moot point, because this will never happen, but it is always fun to play GM isn't it?

Speed
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Speed I think is safe to assume that whoever is going to trade for him would make him sign an extention and not just that but also his approval to be traded to that team.

I'd agree, if I was a GM, but this....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsLM7GmKKR3CP2sk.hBMbii8vLYF?slug=ys-anthonytrade092710

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 7 hours, 26 minutes ago

"Thorn could be willing to do a deal without the promise of a contract extension with Anthony, one league executive said. Still, the Sixers have been led to believe Anthony wont commit to a contract extension if hes traded there, and losing him as a rent-a-player would be a steep price to pay for Iguodala."

pacergod2
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Granger is a top 25 player in the league, whereas Melo is top 10. As far as talent for talent, Melo is a better player, which would make the deal beneficial for us.

Philly would do this deal just to get rid of Iggy's contract. Brand's monster contract forces them to trade Iggy. They would toss in another player to make salaries work. From Philly's perspective, they would hopefully keep Speights, but Thad Young or Spencer Hawes wouldn't be bad throw ins.

On the other side of this deal, if Melo wants to leave, he could be signed and traded to NY much like James and Bosh were with two future firsts as compensation for the six year deals.

So this deal would look more like Iggy and Young/Hawes for Carmelo and two future firsts. Philly has more reasons to do this deal than we do, and an extension with Philly would not be necessary for that deal to get done.

Indy would send Granger out, who has a reasonable contract. With a Carmelo deal on our books long term, we would have a much tougher time extending all of our young guys. Melo would be worth it, but it keeps us at or over the LT for several years after the rookie deals are up. We aren't in a financial bind going forward though, so we don't have a need to get rid of future salaries like Philly would. I think Denver would like Granger a lot, but there is no chance that Anthony would want to stay here, so plugging him into our lineup for this year would probably hurt the team's progression. Once Anthony is gone, then we would be OK because we would still have Rush, George, and Stephenson on the wings, but I think Anthony would push back their progression and then they'd be thrown to the wolves the year after next. It might work, but I would rather have to make the decision to trade Granger in another year because we don't need him, than take our chances on the kids' development.

Indy has no need to make a deal like this. We already have a ton of youth and if we aren't keeping Melo it makes no sense for us, unlike Philly.

Larry Staverman
09-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Strait up Anthony is a better player and I would rather have him than Granger.

In our market I would much rather pay Granger 60 cents on the dollar and not be locked into a max deal. As we have seen before when you have a max player in a smaller market it is all or nothing.

If we can't find economical pieces to put around him and compete for a title we know the crying will start and then we are in the same shape as Denver, Cleveland, Toronto, N.O........

So to Anthony and all the other "I want you to pay me my max contract and you can figure out how to build a champion under the tax" whiners I say thanks but no thanks.

Trader Joe
09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
My team is on the floor.

King Phoenix
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone who said that they would do the deal after they said how much they liked birds patience not to make a deal jus to make one is contradictory! First of all if we do this jus like pacersgod2 said well be in a not having money to sign our players mode! Think about it grangers contract is highway robbery for one of the best players in the league plus he's the leader of our team and if u trade him ull have a leadership problem! Also granger is also not a drama queen like melo which is good for team moral along with the fact he already has comradery with the pacers and chemistry is key to winning!

Melo isn't gonna want to play here and lala isn't gonna wanna live here! And even tho granger gets hurt it's jus wouldn't be smart pr better for the team! Melo isn't gonna listen to Jim he doesn't listen to George I'd rather have granger hibbert dc2 pg24 lance than to have jus melo and a whole bunch of fillers...ie CLEVELAND TORONTO NO AND KNICKS

King Phoenix
09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
will say that melo is a lot better than granger tho in scoring by a large margin but I jus want money to pick up some more talent

MillerTime
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Anyone who said that they would do the deal after they said how much they liked birds patience not to make a deal jus to make one is contradictory! First of all if we do this jus like pacersgod2 said well be in a not having money to sign our players mode! Think about it grangers contract is highway robbery for one of the best players in the league plus he's the leader of our team and if u trade him ull have a leadership problem! Also granger is also not a drama queen like melo which is good for team moral along with the fact he already has comradery with the pacers and chemistry is key to winning!

Melo isn't gonna want to play here and lala isn't gonna wanna live here! And even tho granger gets hurt it's jus wouldn't be smart pr better for the team! Melo isn't gonna listen to Jim he doesn't listen to George I'd rather have granger hibbert dc2 pg24 lance than to have jus melo and a whole bunch of fillers...ie CLEVELAND TORONTO NO AND KNICKS

I agree with you saying that Bird being patient is what led to our current roster, but adding Melo would definitely be an upgrade from Granger (dont get me wrong, Granger is great, but Melo is simply better and more durable). But the downfall is that we're going to have to pay him a max contract...but with all the expiring contracts we have (Foster, Tinsley, Dunleavy, Ford, etc) I think we could absorb one max contract and a bunch of reasonable ones. We might be over the luxury tax, but when you win games, you sell tickets and make money

I am not concerned if Melo doesnt listen to Jim, because I dont see Jim as our future coach. I see him as a filler until we get our roster back to a competitive level. I dont see Bird giving Jim an extension or re-signing him after this season.

And how do you know Melo "doesnt listen to George"???

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
My dream trade would be like this:

Pacers send Ford(expiring) Dunleavy(expiring) Paul George(young player), Brandon Rush or Tyler(either one)two first round picks(2011 and 2013)

Denver sends Melo and Nene, the team would be like this:

Collison,Danny,Melo,Nene and Hibbert, what do you guys think?

MLB007
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Strait up Anthony is a better player and I would rather have him than Granger.

In our market I would much rather pay Granger 60 cents on the dollar and not be locked into a max deal. As we have seen before when you have a max player in a smaller market it is all or nothing.

If we can't find economical pieces to put around him and compete for a title we know the crying will start and then we are in the same shape as Denver, Cleveland, Toronto, N.O........

So to Anthony and all the other "I want you to pay me my max contract and you can figure out how to build a champion under the tax" whiners I say thanks but no thanks.

A-bleeping MEN. :buddies:

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
My dream trade would be like this:

Pacers send Ford(expiring) Dunleavy(expiring) Paul George(young player), Brandon Rush or Tyler(either one)two first round picks(2011 and 2013)

Denver sends Melo and Nene, the team would be like this:

Collison,DJ,Danny,Melo,Nene and Hibbert, what do you guys think?

Could this team be better than Miami or even the Lakers?

Pacers#1Fan
09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I said no for the simple fact that I would not see Melo sticking around after his contract is up. If we are going strictly hypothetical and saying Melo stays then yes, I say go for Melo. Seeing as I took it in real world terms I would rather have Danny for several years than have Melo for one.

Sparhawk
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I voted no for 2 reasons. Melo doesn't always give you 100%, and Granger is usually busting his *** off each night. Secondly, it ain't gonna happen, so it is truly moot if I wanted Melo or not.

HeliumFear
09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Carmelo wouldn't agree to a contract extension to come here.

Let's say hypothetically he did agree to an extension+trade to Indy,the obvious answer is YES DO IT NOW. Carmelo has a punishing post game,a great first step,and has a reliable jumper. Great all around scoring talent.

90'sNBARocked
09-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Its a no brianer you take Melo, he is the better player

That is , however, no knock on Granger as Melo is better than about 95% of the league

King Phoenix
09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I am not concerned if Melo doesnt listen to Jim, because I dont see Jim as our future coach. I see him as a filler until we get our roster back to a competitive level. I dont see Bird giving Jim an extension or re-signing him after this season.

And how do you know Melo "doesnt listen to George"???[/QUOTE]

Remember the whole fiasco of him supposed to come out the game and he said no and I believe got suspended! That's how! Also because billups and George have been telling him he should stay and stop making demands u name it they said it...and what did melo say....
WHERE'S THE KNICKS

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Its a no brianer you take Melo, he is the better player

That is , however, no knock on Granger as Melo is better than about 95% of the league

idk about that ilike granger's contract better. I want to see DG play with a good point guard first. Melo has always had a decent PG around him.

Major Cold
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I would not trade for a rental player that would not get us to the finals.

dlewyus
09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Melo is the better player, but I still would not trade Granger for him. Seems I remember some character concerns, that and the fact that Melo does not want to play here are my reasons.

pacerDU
09-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Whoever answer no is a huge homer, Melo is a way better player and has not Even hit his prime

Well I guess I must be a "huge homer" then. I have no interest in Carmelo Anthony. Never have, never will.

I don't like his personality (ever since his stun-and-run episode versus the Knicks a few years back). The way he's handled this off-season has been nothing but classless.

He's a very good player, no doubt. But he's just not someone I could cheer for.

pacer4ever
09-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Well I guess I must be a "huge homer" then. I have no interest in Carmelo Anthony. Never have, never will.

I don't like his personality (ever since his stun-and-run episode versus the Knicks a few years back). The way he's handled this off-season has been nothing but classless.

He's a very good player, no doubt. But he's just not someone I could cheer for.

i feel you melo is to much drama for me and he isnt much better than granger. If it was LeBron James then yes cause he is in another league. He can get to the rim at will.

Eleazar
09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
In a vacuum I probably would accept this trade. When you take into consideration of contract, personality, and mentality. None of which do I prefer over Granger. He may be a better player, but that doesn't mean he is better for the team. No matter what anyone wants to believe basketball is still a team game, and you don't need Carmelo or Lebron type of talent if you have a much better team.

jeffg-body
09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I voted no because IMHO I just don't see him meshing very well with our core of young guys and I think his me/me personality would not be a fan favorite if things went sour. He may be more talented than Danny, but he is not worth it to me.

Ramitt
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I would keep Granger, he seems committed to Indy and a good citizen, Melo even if he gets a new long contract I am not so sure would not want out if this team does not become a major contender.

cdash
09-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Assuming it wouldn't just be a one year rental, yes.

TheDon
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM

one might say they have "delusions of granger." :rimshot: I'll be here all week folks

Pacerfan
09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I would rather have someone here who is happy to be here and doesn't demand to be traded.