PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets, Sixers Discussing Melo For Iguodala

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69289/20100926/nuggets_sixers_discussing_melo_for_iguodala/

Via Philadelphia Daily New

ThA HoyA
09-26-2010, 05:28 PM
So now they are finally in what's best for nuggets mode...

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
So now they are finally in what's best for nuggets mode...

ya but i dont see how the 76ers do this, unless melos signs for more years

Psyren
09-26-2010, 05:45 PM
I really don't think Melo would want to play there.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I really don't think Melo would want to play there.

Isn't it about time one of these guys gets told to shove it and they're traded to whoever their current team thinks has the best deal?

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Isn't it about time one of these guys gets told to shove it and they're traded to whoever their current team thinks has the best deal?

ya but philly wont give up iggy unless they know melo will stay. That is why melo has say where he will go.

xBulletproof
09-26-2010, 06:09 PM

If I was the owner, I'd approve it.

However the other team doesn't want to gut their team for a 1 year rental. At this point though if I could I'd trade him to the Mad Antz.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
ya but philly wont give up iggy unless they know melo will stay. That is why melo has say where he will go.

He does have some say, but I think people are giving him too much ability to make a decision. When these big players get to this point in their contracts, teams start acting like they are afraid of their own shadows.

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
He does have some say, but I think people are giving him too much ability to make a decision. When these big players get to this point in their contracts, teams start acting like they are afraid of their own shadows.

he has all the say.They nuggets want good talent. teams that want him wont give thier good talent unless he is extended.

so yess he has all the say philly wont give iggy unless melo signs an extension.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
No he really doesn't have all the say. His options of where he can go if the nuggets just don't trade him is a lot more limited next offseason.

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
No he really doesn't have all the say. His options of where he can go if the nuggets just don't trade him is a lot more limited next offseason.

he will be a free agent next offsesaon. he has all the leverage these deals wont happen unless he signs an extension. The nuggets arent just gonna trade him for scrubs. The talnet will be a huge differce if he doesnt sign on for more years. maybe the best you could get if he doesnt agree to extension would be like eddy curry and galinero

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
The teams that can give him a contract next offseason will be limited. That was my point. He needs the Nuggets to help him land where he wants.

ChristianDudley
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
I wish players now would just shut up and play instead of thinking about forming "super teams" or whatever you want to call them. Players just don't like to stay with any 1 team anymore if they're not winning the championship--I'm glad Granger hasn't been demanding trades lately.

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
The teams that can give him a contract next offseason will be limited. That was my point. He needs the Nuggets to help him land where he wants.

if he wants the knicks or nets he could go there nxt summer and i belive the clippers 2. But i get what u are saying now. but after the bulls redo noahs deal they wont be able to get him in free agency.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Even if teams are limited that will be able to sign him, Melo still has leverage b/c the Nuggets don't want to just lose him for nothing, or only end up with trade exception like Cavs and Raptors.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm curious what else the Nuggets would want if they get Iggy?

They seemed set w/ a young potential guy in Favors, and a big expiring that can help contribute right now in AK-47 plus a couple 1st round picks.

I think get a borderline all-star back may lower what else they want back in return.

If I'm the Pacers I'm calling the Sixers/Nuggets to try and get involved and get Speights or Thad Young

ChristianDudley
09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah I think the Pacers need to get involved in a multi-team deal if they haven't already been calling around trying to get in a deal involving Denver/Melo/etc. I'm sure some team wouldn't mind taking on T.J. Ford as a backup PG if it means this 3-team or 4-team trade could get done. Still a big factor is Melo's willingness to sign long-term with whatever team he is traded to (hypothetically), which is ridiculous and it is what the NBA has gotten to.

bulldog
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Call me crazy, but I think the Iggy-for-Melo deal might make some sense for Denver.

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but the statheads have been saying for years that Melo is overhyped, and I certainly agree that he is more one-dimensional than his draft classmates. And let's say you think that Igoudala would thrive once he came to a situation where he's not the primary scorer. And let's say you realize that "Big Shot" Chauncey wasn't letting Melo win games for you down the stretch anyway.

Doesn't it make sense to trade for a solid play like Igoudala rather than completely rebuild? I mean the Nuggets have a halfway decent team, if they improved their defense and offensive efficency they might be able to make some noise this year in the West, which outside of the Lakers looks pretty weak at the top. Adding Igoudala would certainly improve your D and perhaps your offensive efficency compared to Melo. And it avoids the miserable re-build and suck situation that every fan dreads.

Not sure I buy my own argument yet, but figured I'd throw a little contrarianism into the thread. I could see this trade making some level of sense.

MLB007
09-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Yes - I think that comes after the holdout next year. Lots of contract changes.

croz24
09-27-2010, 12:14 AM
imho, i would never want iguodala on my team. has one of the lowest basketball iqs i've seen in quite some time. as far as supposed "stars" are concerned, i'd say westbrook is the only player with a lower basketball iq. so for the nuggets sake, hopefully they can still pull in favors along with some 1sts.

ReginaldWayne
09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
imho, i would never want iguodala on my team. has one of the lowest basketball iqs i've seen in quite some time. as far as supposed "stars" are concerned, i'd say westbrook is the only player with a lower basketball iq. so for the nuggets sake, hopefully they can still pull in favors along with some 1sts.

Interesting. He averaged 17 and 5.5 assists last season and was a key player for team usa this summer, getting every minute over Granger. He's just not a good shooter and and it is essentially his biggest short coming, and it's a big one. But he is an above average defender on the ball and gets a lot of steals, and he is a triple-double threat nearly every night.

So I would say you are definitely exaggerating about his basketball iq.

croz24
09-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Interesting. He averaged 17 and 5.5 assists last season and was a key player for team usa this summer, getting every minute over Granger. He's just not a good shooter and and it is essentially his biggest short coming, and it's a big one. But he is an above average defender on the ball and gets a lot of steals, and he is a triple-double threat nearly every night.

stats don't make a basketball player. as for team usa, i can easily argue the ONLY reason iggy got playing time is because his athleticism fit coach k's philosophy during the tournament. iggy reminds me of a sg version of josh smith which is not something i want at all from the sg position.

bulldog
09-27-2010, 09:09 AM

I think his IQ looks worse than it is because he's asked to do too much for Philly. He's not a primary scorer, but he plays one for the Sixers. But him in a situation where he can focus on defense, boards, transition, etc. and I think he looks a lot better out there.

pacergod2
09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
If I am Denver, I would probably take Iggy for Melo. If I could get another piece like Thad Young or Speights I would pull the trigger in a heart beat. There will have to be a throw in to make the salaries work anyway.

Chauncey/Lawson, Afflalo/JR Smith, Iggy, Harrington/KMart, Nene/Anderson

Al Harrington actually seems like a solid pickup for Denver now. He can be a solid scorer in the front court, similar to Melo, just not nearly as good. If Denver can get him to play defense night in and night out, they may be a better team after this trade. I might put JR Smith and Harrington together on the second unit. That could be an interesting inside out combo, if Harrington gets comfortable passing the ball back out of the post, for the first time in his career. Iggy will be a great defensive addition next to Afflalo. Iggy is the type of player that the Nuggets can use, because he is a good penetrator and they really lack that other than Billups, who you want running the offense anyway. JR Smith gets to the rim, but he prefers to shoot the three. It is a dynamic that could really help that team. He would be a better ball player in Denver than Philadelphia IMO because of the team's composition.

Philly gets major star power. I think Melo might like that because he grew up in Maryland. Philly is very close to both DC/Maryland and NYC (he was born in Brooklyn). It may not be ideal for Carmelo, but he really doesn't have a choice if Philly is willing to give up Iggy's contract for him. Philly wants a chance to let him play there for a year and whether he signs an extension or not, they still have his Bird Rights for a sign and trade. A trade exception, two first round picks, and salary relief of Iggy's deal is solid compensation for a player who wants to leave anyway. Philly has enough young talent that they could forego some talent and not be too bad off. Holiday, Turner, Melo, Brand, and either Speights, Thad Young or Spencer Hawes would be the major minutes eaters.

Philly has been looking to deal Iggy for a while because he is their biggest asset. Brand's contract hurt that team's cap situation so much that Iggy is the guy they're forced to trade becuase he is the only guy with a larger contract that's worth a damn on the trade market. Good trade for both teams, IMO.

Trader Joe
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I think his IQ looks worse than it is because he's asked to do too much for Philly. He's not a primary scorer, but he plays one for the Sixers. But him in a situation where he can focus on defense, boards, transition, etc. and I think he looks a lot better out there.

Agreed. Simmons basically postulated this theory that in this new NBA, Iggy is the prototype third best player on a championship team.

MyFavMartin
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't want the Pacers to get involved with Philly if it means taking on Brandt to get a guy like Speights... I don't want the Pacers to lose their salary flexibility of the next few years and take on an albatross of a contract...

Speed
09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Speights has a nice skillset scoring and a nice ceiling, his basketball IQ is really, really low, I think, so I don't know.

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Agreed. Simmons basically postulated this theory that in this new NBA, Iggy is the prototype third best player on a championship team.

The same could be say about granger

Trader Joe
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
The same could be say about granger

Granger and Igoudala are completely different players IMO

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Granger and Igoudala are completely different players IMO

Yes they are but that was not your argument.
Your argument was that iguadola is maybe the 3rd best player in a championship team when Granger could also be in the same position(3rd best player)

Trader Joe
09-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Maybe, but when I build a championship team, I think I'd like my second best player to be more offensive focused. With my third best player being a jack of all trades.

Obviously that's just a personal thing, but in my team, I'd probably make Granger more of a second best player or at least a second option.

CableKC
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't see why Melo would want to leave Denver for Philly. If he wants to leave Denver becuase he doesn't think that he can compete for a Championship....then why would he want to go to Philly.....which may have young Players for the future...but doesn't have a roster that is CURRENTLY built to compete in a Playoff level compared to Denver.

I know that this is a better move for Denver....but since when does a Player care about the situation that he's leaving in favor of "greener pastures"?

MillerTime
09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
there has to be more to the trade than just Iguodala...

In my eyes I see the 76ers rebuilding right now. They seem kind of screwed with Brand's contract. Their PG and SG positions seems pretty promising, which is all on future potential.

I would assume that Melo wants to a team which would possibly contend. I still think his best bet is for him to go to NY and join Amare...and hope that Parker or CP3 join him

CableKC
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
there has to be more to the trade than just Iguodala...

In my eyes I see the 76ers rebuilding right now. They seem kind of screwed with Brand's contract. Their PG and SG positions seems pretty promising, which is all on future potential.
The Sixers are in a similiar ( but not as bad ) situation then us with Granger, Roy and BRush with the Big 4 Contracts....in between Lottery-Land and being a Bubble Boy. I don't think that they should be rebuilding now...the problem with the Sixers is Iggy and Brand's contract....it's hard to rebuild with a Player like Brand who has a MAX level contract while not being a MAX Level Player.

I would assume that Melo wants to a team which would possibly contend. I still think his best bet is for him to go to NY and join Amare...and hope that Parker or CP3 join him
That's the only problem that I have with the hope of CP3 going to NY. But unless CP3, Melo and Amare have some "Lebron/Bosh/Wade"-like pact to meet up in NY in a few years....is there any guarantee that it could happen?

MillerTime
09-27-2010, 01:43 PM
The Sixers are in a similiar ( but not as bad ) situation then us with Granger, Roy and BRush with the Big 4 Contracts....in between Lottery-Land and being a Bubble Boy. I don't think that they should be rebuilding now...the problem with the Sixers is Iggy and Brand's contract....it's hard to rebuild with a Player like Brand who has a MAX level contract while not being a MAX Level Player.

That's the only problem that I have with the hope of CP3 going to NY. But unless CP3, Melo and Amare have some "Lebron/Bosh/Wade"-like pact to meet up in NY in a few years....is there any guarantee that it could happen?

There is no guarantee, but there is a strong possibility. If not CP3, I could see Parker going there. Spurs are on the down-fall now, and Duncan is going to retire really soon