PDA

View Full Version : Melo Has Second Thoughts On Nets As Knicks Work To Make A Deal

2minutes twowa
09-26-2010, 11:41 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69285/20100926/melo_has_second_thoughts_on_nets_as_knicks_work_to _make_a_deal/

Maybe we can still squeeze our way into this deal and come out with picks, a roster spot, or maybe even Randolph.

croz24
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
what a drama queen attention whore. lebron 2.0...

2minutes twowa
09-26-2010, 11:51 AM
what a drama queen attention whore. lebron 2.0...
So true! He's made it so bad that there's no way he can go back to Denver now!

dohman
09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
So true! He's made it so bad that there's no way he can go back to Denver now!

He doesn't want too. That's the point. For basketballs sake I hope he makes it to the knicks.

Sookie
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
lmao..thank you Kobe..(who is the real winner in all of this crap..honestly. )

CableKC
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
The Knicks have only a few assets:

Randolph
Chandler
Danillo

What other assets do they have to get something done?

Kstat
09-26-2010, 12:45 PM
They have nothing. Carmelo needs to have this explained to him. Unless the Nuggets just give him away, he's not going to the Knicks.

The Nuggets deserve this for allowing the trade talk to lag on, instead of jumping on the fair deal they had to begin with. Did they really think they were going to get Blake Griffin? Reality is going to slap them in the face.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 12:54 PM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69285/20100926/melo_has_second_thoughts_on_nets_as_knicks_work_to _make_a_deal/

Maybe we can still squeeze our way into this deal and come out with picks, a roster spot, or maybe even Randolph.

It seems the Nuggets would want Randolph for the Knicks in any deal for Melo. Gallo and Randolph are really the main two players of value for the Knicks, and that's really not enough for the Melo.

We could maybe come into play with a 1st round pick. It was rumored we offered it for Randolph before, but if he's going to the Nuggets, I don't know how we get involved unless another team has something we like

CableKC
09-26-2010, 12:58 PM
It's becoming clearer that the Nuggets were simply trying to parlay the Nets deal into something bigger. Add in that it looks like the Bobcats and ( likely ) the Jazz weren't too happy with what they were getting as part of helping out in that trade.

Kstat
09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think that at all. I think they picked friday to get a deal in place so they'd have the weekend to shop the offer around the league. I don't think they realize that the other teams involved could back out on them, leaving them with nothing.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't understand why the Nuggets don't take Harris and Favors and call it a deal.

Kstat
09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
...because they aren't getting Harris?

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
...because they aren't getting Harris?

I'm just saying why not just do the deal straight up with New Jersey and get Favors and DH? worst case they use Harris as trading bait or play him at the two.

edit: by the way the Bobcats are really stupid if they don't make this deal, getting an all star starting caliber point guard for Diaw and Augustin is a no brainer IMO

Kstat
09-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Why would they want Harris? They have Billups and Lawson already. They don't need another young PG, or another PG making a lot of money.

Given that Charlotte is getting him for Diaw and Augustin, I'm guessing his value isn't that high.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Why would they want Harris? They have Billups and Lawson already. They don't need another young PG, or another PG making a lot of money.

Given that Charlotte is getting him for Diaw and Augustin, I'm guessing his value isn't that high.

Billups is old and is not part of the future and Lawson in my opinion is not an starting point guard. I think Billups last year in his contract is only partially guaranteed and could be bought out.

bulldog
09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Donny Walsh looks like Worst-GM-Of-The-Year for giving up those picks to clear cap space to sign LeBron, then not having the picks so he couldn't trade for Melo. Terribly mismanaged the situation.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Donny Walsh looks like Worst-GM-Of-The-Year for giving up those picks to clear cap space to sign LeBron, then not having the picks so he couldn't trade for Melo. Terribly mismanaged the situation.

I agree. The who was in charge when Bird and Walsh were both together is starting to become more obvious to me.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM

yeah he should be one of the worse GM's, they got lucky that Amare decided to go there.

Kstat
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Billups is old and is not part of the future and Lawson in my opinion is not an starting point guard. I think Billups last year in his contract is only partially guaranteed and could be bought out.

In the opinion of the Nuggets, he is, unless new management feels differently. They didn't deal for Lawson for him to be a career backup.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:34 PM
In the opinion of the Nuggets, he is, unless new management feels differently. They didn't deal for Lawson for him to be a career backup.

I agree, either way I would take on Harris ;)

Kstat
09-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm sure the Nuggets would rather have a future 1st from NJ than Harris.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm sure the Nuggets would rather have a future 1st from NJ than Harris.

That could be debatable, with the new CBA coming next year and college players not knowing if there is going to be a season, I have a feeling that many of the good players are not going to come out and maybe wait another year, reason why I don't think that a pick for next years draft is as valuable as the picks for the year after.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
lmao..thank you Kobe..(who is the real winner in all of this crap..honestly. )

Drama, drama, drama, for all the big time talents this offseason. Kobe quietly works his *** off after back to back titles.

I see no reason to think the Lakers won't make it three straight this spring.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 03:14 PM
The Nuggets have liked Foster for sometime. He may be more value to them with a healthy back and an expiring contract.

We've seen a couple rumors now with the Pacers name being toss out there. the AK-47 or Foster tweet, and the article that has mentioned the Nuggets still fielding calls from the Cavs and Pacers

bulldog
09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Drama, drama, drama, for all the big time talents this offseason. Kobe quietly works his *** off after back to back titles.

I have three reasons: LeBron, Wade, and Bosh.

Miami's lack of interior D and chemistry issues could derail them, but this team is something completely different and none of us have idea how it will play out. Obviously the Lakers are in the thick of things, but Miami could be anywhere on the spectrum from pretty good to amazing.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Kobe, Pau, Artest. ;)

JB24
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Now Philly are getting in on the action.

The Sixers and Denver are talking about a potential trade that would bring Carmelo Anthony to Philadelphia and send Andre Iguodala to Denver, a Western Conference executive has confirmed to the Daily News.

The executive said Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri has spoken with Ed Stefanski.

Other players would need to be involved in the trade to match salaries.

The Sixers are not among the four teams that Anthony has said are his preferred destinations, with Chicago and New York at the top of his list.

The Sixers also would need to get Anthony to sign an extension. His contract expires after the season and he has not signed a 3-year extension offered by Denver.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Sixers_in_talks_for_Carmelo_Anthony_Western_exec_s ays.html

bulldog
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Kobe, Pau, Artest. ;)

I know, I know, and I basically agree with you. If someone put a gun to my head I'd bet on the Lakers. Just pointing out that this is a crazy season, predictions that are usually worth nothing are worth even less this season. Who know what's gonna happen with the Heat? I never liked any of their Big 3, but I'm kind of rooting for them to come together for the good of the NBA.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Now Philly are getting in on the action.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Sixers_in_talks_for_Carmelo_Anthony_Western_exec_s ays.html

If I was the Pacers I would trade Danny and pick for Melo, this is not a bad deal for either team(Sixers/Nuggets)

pwee31
09-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Now the Sixers deal is one I hope the Pacers can get in on. If we could get Thad Young or Speights, I'd be pumped!

Kstat
09-26-2010, 04:02 PM
This is ridiculous. They want a worse deal than the one they were offered?

O'Bird
09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Miami's lack of interior D and chemistry issues could derail them, but this team is something completely different and none of us have idea how it will play out.

Yes, completely different. This will be a season like no other.

I think that you're underestimating their interior defense - Bosh, Zydrunas, Udonis, Joel Anthony, and Shavlik Randolph are all plus defenders. So is Dampier if they sign him.

They will be a difficult team to beat.

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Why? is possible that they could be getting picks and maybe Turner is included.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Not necessarily, it depends on what else is involved. Iggy is a known commodity and may have raised his value in the World Championships.

You get a guy who can come in and help you right away, unlike Favors who's just got potential and upside, and Ak-47 who's just a big expiring.

The Sixers would have a solid core with Holiday, Evan Turner and Melo, and depending on who else is involved... Thad Young, Speights, Hawes, Brackins... you never know?

Sookie
09-26-2010, 04:18 PM

yea, and all the young talent moves out of the West..:laugh:

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
yea, and all the young talent moves out of the West..:laugh:

Except for Durant, who also comes out of this mess smelling like a rose.

Hicks
09-26-2010, 04:49 PM
If I was the Pacers I would trade Danny and pick for Melo, this is not a bad deal for either team(Sixers/Nuggets)

Melo will not agree to an extension with us. And we shouldn't do it unless he would.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Would you guys trade a 1st for Thad Young or Speights?

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Melo will not agree to an extension with us. And we shouldn't do it unless he would.

Agreed ;)

Sookie
09-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Yea, lets see what the younger guys can do this season. I think I'd rather have Danny for a few reasons..

BornReady
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Young def not, maybe Speights. I think I'd rather take my chances in the draft, though.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Young def not, maybe Speights. I think I'd rather take my chances in the draft, though.

Really I thought the other way around. the Sixers really played their best ball a few years ago when Brand was hurt and Thad played PF. He's a little undersized but we could really get up and down the court.

I like Speights as well, he was injured some last year, but I'd take him too.

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM

yes sir next years draft is really deep

dlewyus
09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I know, I know, and I basically agree with you. If someone put a gun to my head I'd bet on the Lakers. Just pointing out that this is a crazy season, predictions that are usually worth nothing are worth even less this season. Who know what's gonna happen with the Heat? I never liked any of their Big 3, but I'm kind of rooting for them to come together for the good of the NBA.

@ no one in particular. This side conversation is hijacking the thread.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 07:04 PM
@ no one in particular. This side conversation is hijacking the thread.

There were a total of three posts about it til you decided to comment on it...

Justin Tyme
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM

2011 1st for Speights in a heartbeat!!

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 11:25 PM
2011 1st for Speights in a heartbeat!!

I really hope we dont trade 1st round picks.

Pacerized
09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Just to play around with a way for the Pacers to get involved.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5703547

Give up a 1st., Ford, Dun, and Solo
Get back Nene, Randolf.

Denver gets Ford, Curry, Dun, Gallanari and 2 1st.
Loses Nene, Melo

NY gets Melo, Solo
Loses 1st., Curry, Randolf, Gallanari.

I doubt if Denver would want to part with Nene but with Martins contract expiring and getting 3 expirings in return it would certainly put them in the free agent market quickly.

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Ny does not have a pick and u also need to ad draft picks from the pacers side and a young player

Pacerized
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Ny does not have a pick and u also need to ad draft picks from the pacers side and a young player

I thought NY had a pick in 2014 that could be traded. I did have the Pacers giving up a 1st., and Denver gets Gallanari as their young prospect.
I know it's not nearly as attractive to Denver as the NJ trade, but they would dump more salary this way, and Melo wouldn't hesitate to sign the extension.

Justin Tyme
09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I thought NY had a pick in 2014 that could be traded. I did have the Pacers giving up a 1st., and Denver gets Gallanari as their young prospect.
I know it's not nearly as attractive to Denver as the NJ trade, but they would dump more salary this way, and Melo wouldn't hesitate to sign the extension.

A 2014 pick isn't much value to another team if the Knicks become a good team, not to mention no team building wants to wait 4 years to capitalize on a 1st round pick.

Justin Tyme
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I really hope we dont trade 1st round picks.

If the Pacers trade a 1st pick, 2011 draft is when to do it with lockout looming next year.

pacergod2
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
If the Pacers trade a 1st pick, 2011 draft is when to do it with lockout looming next year.

I agree completely. This next draft will be good as they have seemingly all been recently, but the players who left this year and the ones who will want to wait, will water it down for sure. The main issue though is that I would hope the Pacers would protect it. With the uncertainty of our record this year, and no matter what the labor situation looks like, the top of the draft will still be loaded regardless.

If the Pacers protected it to the top 10, I would make that deal in a hurry. I doubt though that the Sixers want to get rid of a cheap front court option though.

naptownmenace
09-27-2010, 12:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry hasn't already called about Melo's interest. The Pacers will have the money to pay him a max deal after this season and add FA talent to go along with the young promising players already on the team. They could be title contenders in a couple of seasons.

BringJackBack
09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Larry hasn't already called about Melo's interest. The Pacers will have the money to pay him a max deal after this season and add FA talent to go along with the young promising players already on the team. They could be title contenders in a couple of seasons.

To play devil's advocate, what would you do then? You have Danny, George, and Anthony. Let's face it, George's value isn't that high right now. In one or two years, it could be crazy high, but not now. So, with that, you have an odd man out. George could become a crazy high level player, Carmello is what he is, and Danny is our guy. Danny is our solid rock: consistent, sharp shooting, and loves our team. Melo would also kill the rest of our cap space, not including the extensions to Collison and Hibbert. We would be well over the tax after all that right?

vapacersfan
09-27-2010, 09:43 PM
I heard today now he is saying he did not request a trade. lol

vnzla81
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM

He does not have too, his agent did it for him.

pwee31
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
It's likely the Nets and Nuggets just look for other trade partners.

Favors and 2 1st round picks from the Nets still seem like the best deal, and a deal the Nuggets wouldn't mind. The hold up seems to be the players and salary that need to be added to that base.

Looks like the Nets would rather add Devin Harris, than lose both PFs in Favors and Murphy.

I think the Nuggets would like to move another salary with Carmelo as well.

I think we all know Melo doesn't want to be a Nugget long term, just a matter of when in my opinion

Will Galen
09-28-2010, 12:08 AM

He's said that before, however he's splitting hairs because Denver has offered him a max contract, which is worth more than any other team can offer him.

So if he wants to be in Denver why hasn't he signed the new contract? Some times what you don't say or do is just as telling as what you do say or do.