PDA

View Full Version : Sad bunch of misfits don't deserve to be olympians

clownskull
08-16-2004, 03:37 AM
this team will NOT win the gold. i repeat this team will NOT win the gold. they are simply not good enough. the talk of italy being a wake up call was a bunch of b.s. they whipped team usa and now so did peurto rico. this selection of players completely sucks the big one. other than duncan and boozer, this yeam consists of slashers and scorers and that's it.

only one player on the team had a three point percentage that was in the top 50 in the nba this year. 1 player (jefferson) and he was like 47th.
this is inexcusable. i do think though that this will spell the end of this all-star team type of crap we have putting together and thinking it will win. we need more role players and fewer stars. i am sick of hearing announcers talking about larry browns job being difficult because he has to keep players happy with their p.t. these guys need to check their egos at the door or check out.

the other teams only need to pack it in down low defensively because team usa cannot shoot the three. i know some people will say stuff like "yeh, but we didn't send our best players." i say it wouldn't make any difference. slapping big names together will not win it all. just ask the lakers. you need chemistry more than talent. this team has no chemistry and will not magicaly get it in time to matter.
too many of the same type of players will not get the job done. this team has no balance and it's showing.

clownskull
08-16-2004, 08:17 AM
The sad thing is that I don't think this will be the end of the all-star team set up for USA basketball. I think that it will be even moreso (if that is possible). This loss will be blamed on the stars that didn't go. So the next time around there will be more pressure on the Kobes and McGradys of the world to "save" USA basketball. Meanwhile, the rest of the world will continue to improve.

you know what bugs me? you might very well be right about that. ugh! i hope not.

BigDawg44
08-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Last night I was watching the Jacksonville news, and their sports segment came on. It was kind of like a PTI type of set up, where they just argued back and forth. Anyways, they blamed the losses on players that declined to play for team USA. And they mentioned JO. That really pissed me off because the only reason he is not on that court (if i remember correctly) is because of his knee injury. just thought i would vent a little. Hopefully my venting is well placed and not a mistake

clownskull
08-16-2004, 09:14 AM
damn!, i was just over at the official site for usa basketball. they either don't have up the official box score and quotes on the game or they don't want to show the ugly truth.
anyway, it would not surprise me a bit if a couple of jack@$$es got on tv and trashed a guy like jermaine who nearly wrecked his damn knee earlier when some other guy named oneil was healthy and never bothered to play because he is too fat and lazy. i hope they discuss this issue again and make a call for more slashing dunkers!:mad:

Kstat
08-16-2004, 01:13 PM
nevermind the fact that we only sent 2 or 3 of our top 12 guys......

This team will win the rest of their games. I'm saying it now. Defensively, we are still the best team in the tournament. We just need to give the proper effort.

indygeezer
08-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey! Easy with the "plowboy" comments. Some of us have actually worked or been been raised on farms and are proud of it.

Unfortunately I watched Streetballers, or what ever it's called, for the 1st time the other night. I wanted to puke right there. Talk about EVEERYTHING that is wrong with US basketball! Everything rolled into one program. Sickening.:puke:

Gyron
08-16-2004, 01:28 PM
As you said Mr. Geezer, I watched the EBC(streetball tournament at rucker park in NYC) the other night on NBATV,and found myself bored to death. None of them played like a team. I just wasn't entertained.
It was a bunch of guys doing nothing but trying to show off.

So then I watched the US team get their *** handed to them yesterday and when my wife walked through the room and asked how they were doing, my only comment was "This isn't a team. Its a bunch of individuals who aren't playing together."

They flat out have no team work what so ever. From the little I saw Duncan was trying with all he had, but without help he was pretty much outplayed. Not one of the other team members I saw actually played as though they were on a team.

Oh well maybe a good *** whooping is what they needed to wake them up. Go USA.....I hope.

Gyron
08-16-2004, 01:30 PM
You know on second thought I think I actually enjoyed watching soccer for the first time ever as opposed to watching the men's US basketball. And the US wasn't even involved in the soccer I watched.

Something's definitely wrong with the US mens basketball team for me to say that........

Fool
08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Living on cruise ships. Nonchalance. Smugness. Don't give a damn.
If this crap isn't enough to convince you young guys that the state of hoops in the NBA is NOT the best ever, (not even close) then I don't know what will.
Too many folks thinking StreetJams is real basketball.
:o

I didn't read this thread so pardon me if this has been said already but ...

Have you looked at your avatar lately?

beast23
08-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I certainly don't put more than

50% of the blame of our team on

the players. And I certainly

don't consider them to be misfits. The players DID NOT choose their teammates. That was done for them by Brown and the selection committee, who mostly went along with Brown's desires.

If those making the selections couldn't land the perimeter shooters that wanted, then they should have progressed to the next tier of perimeter shooters, rather than just fill with the next "biggest name" on the list.

For example, go get Brent Barry, or even an older Steve Kerr. Neither is a top 50 player in the league, but both can hit perimiter shots with amazing regularity.

You don't like these guys? Fine! The point is get 2-3 players that they can knock down perimeter shots.

It doesn't matter it they are stars or even college players that we've never even heard of. But you know you're in deep ***** if Iverson is taking 10 3-point shots in a game.

But I think the real problem is that our selection committee does not know the obvious difference
between a SCORER and a SHOOTER.

Even the most casual fan knows they are NOT the same.

We may have the 5 best players on the floor, but unless they are well-balanced, they are no better than the best foreign teams.

I think we'd been better off by sending the Pistons.

SycamoreKen
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
nevermind the fact that we only sent 2 or 3 of our top 12 guys......

This team will win the rest of their games. I'm saying it now. Defensively, we are still the best team in the tournament. We just need to give the proper effort.

You really think that a team that switched from man to man to zone without telling their coach because they couldn't keep guys in front of them is the best defensive team? P.R. isn't even the most athletic team there. What happens when, or if, they play Argentina?

Kstat
08-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Its pretty funny how we're blasting the guys who actually WENT there, and not the guys that didn't go in the first place, forcing us to select a "B" team.....

If they guys that ACCEPTED the invitations are "selfish, pampered, me-first athletes," Then what does that make the guys who didnt go at all?