PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis at Denver - Game Thread - 9/26/10

Lord Helmet
09-25-2010, 07:23 PM
:colts: (1-1) The Colts looked like the Colts of old while dominating the Giants on national television. Can the Colts continue to run the ball with authority?

:broncos: (1-1) The Broncos put a pounding on the Seahawks last week and may look for QB Kyle Orton to air it out more since RB Knowshon Moreno has been ruled out for the game.

Time: 4:15 PM ET

Television: :cbssports:

tora tora
09-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Pierre Garcon and Clint Session are out for the game.
http://www.wthr.com/story/13217529/colts-leave-two-starters-back-in-indianapolis

Psyren
09-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Colts bring up Blair White for tomorrow's game in Garcon's place.

Humber placed on Waived/Injured list.

Pig Nash
09-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Sucks that the game is at 4:15 for I have work at 5:30. Oh well, I'll listen on my phone. Red Zone till then I guess.

aero
09-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Sucks that the game is at 4:15 for I have work at 5:30. Oh well, I'll listen on my phone. Red Zone till then I guess.

yeah im disappointed that the game starts that late as well i go in at 6p

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Left side of the line struggling big time early without Charlie JOhnson.

Flibertygibits
09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
THAT was a goal line stand!

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Orton looks very, very good.

pacer4ever
09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Orton looks very, very good.

yes he does colts might be in trouble

Natston
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
BLAIR WHITE!

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Well now the pass D has decided to take this week off.

travmil
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Well now the pass D has decided to take this week off.

Well, they gave up a lot of yards that's for sure, but only one score, and got the INT. I don't think the pass D took a week off, I just think Denver did an excellent job of keeping Freeney and Mathis away from Orton. And the red zone d was outstanding.

Dab
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Broncos O-Line was outstanding in pass protection, but the Broncos offense couldn't make the plays when it counted.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
True, the touchdown throw bothered me though. Seemed like Bethea and Bullitt got beat a couple times. I still think our pass D is fine, and like I said earlier, Orton did look really good.

Basketball Fan
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
1. I can't believe Orton played so well even at Purdue he never threw for that many yards

2. The Blair White Project... such an obvious nickname I can't believe it took this long for people to say it.

3. If the Titans lost this would've been a perfect weekend. But we play the Jags and I hope we don't end up laying yet another egg on the road vs a division foe.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Austin Collie? Kid had a monster game, played very well

travmil
09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
We're spoiled. That kind of game from Collie is no longer surprising. What is this, the 5th or 6th time he's had a game like that? As of right now he's leading the league in both receptions (27) and yards (359), and is tied for the lead with 4 TD's. If teams keep trying to take away Reggie and Dallas, he's going to have ridiculous numbers this season.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Collie is ridiculous good. He was the leading receiver his senior year in college for a reason.

He takes the strengths of Garcon and Gonzo and combines them into one package. He's a stud.

CooperManning
09-27-2010, 04:33 AM
It's going to be fun to watch the AP try to find reasons not to give Peyton the MVP again, but ultimately go with him anyway.

Basketball Fan
09-27-2010, 10:05 PM
It's going to be fun to watch the AP try to find reasons not to give Peyton the MVP again, but ultimately go with him anyway.

I rather have them give it to anyone else its a crap award to begin with all MVPs are. Not to mention Regular Season MVP= No SB Ring

Last player to do it same year was Kurt Warner.

The media of all people votes for them and in football its always offensively biased. It was 24 years ago a defensive player actually won these things..

They can give it to Alex Smith wouldn't bother me one bit.

CooperManning
09-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't believe that there's a correlation between a player winning MVP and not winning a super bowl. The Colts didn't lose the Super Bowl because Manning won MVP. There's less to go on there than the Madden curse. Sure, the award doesn't really matter, but as a fan of Manning, there's going to be a time five years from now when I want to argue with my friends that Manning is the best QB of all time and additional MVPs will be welcome ammo. Would I rather the Colts win the SB than Peyton win MVP? 1000x yes. But if they're giving one out, I want my guy to get it.

Basketball Fan
09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't believe that there's a correlation between a player winning MVP and not winning a super bowl. The Colts didn't lose the Super Bowl because Manning won MVP. There's less to go on there than the Madden curse. Sure, the award doesn't really matter, but as a fan of Manning, there's going to be a time five years from now when I want to argue with my friends that Manning is the best QB of all time and additional MVPs will be welcome ammo. Would I rather the Colts win the SB than Peyton win MVP? 1000x yes. But if they're giving one out, I want my guy to get it.

Yeah we'll have to disagree here 5 Regular Season MVP's mean nothing in the phantom GOAT argument and well since they're so media driven and politicized even less so. Especially when he has only one ring to show for it. Its not fair but its going to be thrown back at you.

Meanwhile Montana has 4 rings and I don't know if he ever won a regular season MVP.

Yet he'll be considered the GOAT before Manning would warranted or not.

Since86
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah we'll have to disagree here 5 Regular Season MVP's mean nothing in the phantom GOAT argument and well since they're so media driven and politicized even less so. Especially when he has only one ring to show for it. Its not fair but its going to be thrown back at you.

Meanwhile Montana has 4 rings and I don't know if he ever won a regular season MVP.

Yet he'll be considered the GOAT before Manning would warranted or not.

And rings don't make the whole agrument either, unless you want to try and convince me that Trent Dilfer is on par with Peyton.

Is that what you're saying?

MVP's by themselves don't paint the entire picture, and neither do the number of rings.

Everyone other than Jay would say that Peyton is a better QB than Big Ben, but yet Ben has one more ring than Peyton does.

Trader Joe
09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Ben's not even that great of a QB. It's arguably the least important position on the entire Steelers roster and has been for years.

Since86
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree, but argue that point with Jay.

Actually, I wouldn't advise it. It made me want to claw out my eyeballs.

Natston
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
And rings don't make the whole agrument either, unless you want to try and convince me that Trent Dilfer is on par with Peyton.

MVP's by themselves don't paint the entire picture, and neither do the number of rings.

Everyone other than Jay would say that Peyton is a better QB than Big Ben, but yet Ben has one more ring than Peyton does.

There was one other person... ;)

Porter would have never picked Big Ben and taken him to the house in the super bowl. Dude is more clutch than Manning and has 2 times as many rings.

It never gets old... :laugh:

Basketball Fan
09-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Actually no that's not what I said. I just said people would try and argue the point warranted or not that he may have 4 MVP's but only 1 ring. If he's so valuable how come he doesn't have more rings?

Is it a fair question? Debatable but its going to be asked.

Since86
09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Because teams are made up of 33 starters and only one person can be MVP of the league?

Take Peyton away from the Colts and how many wins do you think they get? Brady went down the very first game for the Pats and they still made the playoffs. Big Ben's team is still 3-0. And the list goes on and on.

You really think Austin Collie would be putting up the stats on another team like he is right now? Seriously? I think Brandon Stokley is waving from the corner.

Jay likes to point out how bad the Bears' Oline is in the other thread. Look at the Colts. They can't run the ball consistantly to save their lives, and they're a patch work of late round picks or undrafted FA.

Can you name another team that could win a game when they only have the ball for less than 15mins? And gave up over 200yards rushing?

Or how many teams have won a game when they were down 21pts in the 4th quarter?

Peyton is by far the most single important player on a team in the NFL.

Before he got his ring, the saying was that he wasn't in the discussion until he got a ring. Now that he has it the discussion is now he needs multiple. He could win 3, and there will still be people saying he needs to get a 4th to enter the discussion with Montana.

:haters:

SoupIsGood
09-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Peyton only has four MVP's and only one ring.

Peyton will never have been "good enough" for his critics until about five years after he retires. He's obviously great enough to be in that handful of QB's that you could claim GOAT status for and not really be wrong. Meanwhile bored sports fans need something to do, and part of that is insisting Peyton's never met expectations.

Peyton obliterated whatever reasonable expectations anyone could have had for him a long time ago. From here on out it's just gravy.

Basketball Fan
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Because teams are made up of 33 starters and only one person can be MVP of the league?

Take Peyton away from the Colts and how many wins do you think they get? Brady went down the very first game for the Pats and they still made the playoffs. Big Ben's team is still 3-0. And the list goes on and on.

You really think Austin Collie would be putting up the stats on another team like he is right now? Seriously? I think Brandon Stokley is waving from the corner.

Jay likes to point out how bad the Bears' Oline is in the other thread. Look at the Colts. They can't run the ball consistantly to save their lives, and they're a patch work of late round picks or undrafted FA.

Can you name another team that could win a game when they only have the ball for less than 15mins? And gave up over 200yards rushing?

Before he got his ring, the saying was that he wasn't in the discussion until he got a ring. Now that he has it the discussion is now he needs multiple. He could win 3, and there will still be people saying he needs to get a 4th to enter the discussion with Montana.

And those were regular season games the knock will always be the postseason. I never said it was fair I'm just saying its going to be questioned about him. Yes we know he's important we're Colts fans and admittedly biased on some level when it comes to him but that's how it is.

Of course I don't think there is a such a thing as the GOAT in any sport but I digress.

Since86
09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Brady's average playoff game is 22 of 35, 228 yards, 1.6 TDs, and 0.8 INTs. In 18 total games he's amassed 4108 yards, 28 TDs, 15 INTs and a 85.5 QB Rating. Meanwhile, Manning's average playoff game has been 24.2 of 38.4, 287 yards, 1.6 TDs and 1.1 INTs. Over 18 playoff games, Manning has put up 5164 yards, 28 TDs, 19 INTs, and a 87.5 QB Rating (QB rating up to date as of his 17th playoff game. His rating was 88.5 in Super Bowl 44, so the difference would be minor).

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Peyton-Manning-is-slightly-superior-playoff-QB-than-Tom-Brady-Blog-36420

Yet the opinion is that Tom is the better postseason QB.

When evaluating QBs successes and shortcomings, they often forget there's another squad that's on the field for the remaing time, and what they do or don't do has just as much control on the outcome of the game as the offense does.

Basketball Fan
09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
http://www.faniq.com/blog/Peyton-Manning-is-slightly-superior-playoff-QB-than-Tom-Brady-Blog-36420

Yet the opinion is that Tom is the better postseason QB.

When evaluating QBs successes and shortcomings, they often forget there's another squad that's on the field for the remaing time, and what they do or don't do has just as much control on the outcome of the game as the offense does.

They're basing it on postseason record more than anything and as much as I hate to say it Brady has had more success than Manning but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the main reason for it either.

Anymore than Manning was the main reason we won the Super Bowl when we did. The defense stepped up at the right time as well. He didn't play all that great except for the AFC Title Game/Super Bowl. Its also simplistic to say that he was to blame for our SB loss with that untimely pick when our defense sucked and special teams was pretty bad especially with that onside kick.

Hicks
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
He didn't play all that great except for the AFC Title Game/Super Bowl.

That's a hell of an exception!

Basketball Fan
10-01-2010, 12:09 AM
That's a hell of an exception!

He threw a lot of picks(especially in that Chiefs game)... if the Pats and Bears were actually more dynamic on offense that season it would've come back to haunt us. Fortunately they weren't.

Yet he was impressive last postseason but had that untimely pick six in the SB

SoupIsGood
10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
He was pretty awesome in the Ravens game (in our 06 run). Even Jay was praising him.

Since86
10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
They're basing it on postseason record more than anything and as much as I hate to say it Brady has had more success than Manning but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the main reason for it either.

Anymore than Manning was the main reason we won the Super Bowl when we did. The defense stepped up at the right time as well. He didn't play all that great except for the AFC Title Game/Super Bowl. Its also simplistic to say that he was to blame for our SB loss with that untimely pick when our defense sucked and special teams was pretty bad especially with that onside kick.

You're proving my point.

We're talking about postseason play, and when the facts/numbers show he's better than another QB who has 3rings and who is considered his arch rival, suddenly the argument switches gears and starts only talking about wins and losses.

Since86
10-01-2010, 12:19 PM
He threw a lot of picks(especially in that Chiefs game)... if the Pats and Bears were actually more dynamic on offense that season it would've come back to haunt us. Fortunately they weren't.

Yet he was impressive last postseason but had that untimely pick six in the SB

I thought it was just about wins and losses? Or are stats only used when they prove your point?

Basketball Fan
10-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I thought it was just about wins and losses? Or are stats only used when they prove your point?

Uh no all I'm saying is that Manning didn't have great stats but won the SB during that playoff run yet when he did have great stats they ended up losing the SB.

Goes to show at the end of the day its really wins/losses they're all judged by from the general public and your stats are irrelevant.

Hence the criticism Manning receives. Is it fair? No but its how its going to be judged.

Sollozzo
10-03-2010, 08:10 PM

You're exactly right about everything you say here.

Who does all of this reflect poorly on? The front office. It's time for Polian to be held accountable for things. It's dumbfounding to me how he continues to be painted as some invincible above all genius despite glaring weaknesses that haven't been fixed for years.

Our defense can't stop a mediocre predictable Jacksonville offense. We can't run the ball. Polian had no trouble at all throwing the O-Line under the bus but did nothing to actually fix the problem.

This team would be downright putrid without Manning.