PDA

View Full Version : How Many Wins for Bird to Stay

ksuttonjr76
09-25-2010, 12:38 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors#18511

Bird's future with the Pacers

The contracts for president of basketball operations Larry Bird, senior vice president of basketball operations David Morway and head coach Jim O'Brien expire at the end of the season. Is there a win total that needs to be achieved for the trio to return?

"I have not thought of anything other than getting through the season." owner Herb Simon tells The Indianapolis Star. "Larry is a very independent guy. He'll sit down with me at the end of the year, and I would love him to be involved in the franchise in some way. He's going to be the one that will give me the direction on where we should go on the basketball side. I have a lot of faith and confidence in him.

"If we continue to go in the right direction, I really believe the course Larry has put us on will be a course this city will be very happy with. He always told me it was going to be three years, we're starting the third year. By the end of the year, he'll know what he wants to do. I'm open to any suggestions."

There have been reports that Bird will retire from the front office, which will leave Morway in charge of the team.

Personally, I like what's Bird done thus far. I hope that he stays around to see his efforts come to light. JOB, on the other hand...

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I was beginning to question Bird's overall positive impact on the team up until this summer. He has been a pretty patient guy and has really put us in a situation to be significantly better in the not-too-distant future. I like the way our franchise is looking these days and with 1 key change next summer (PF position), we could easily be looking at a team that could be a 6 seed in the East.

I think whatever happens this season, Bird has earned his stay here.

pizza guy
09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
More than 3 wins for Bird to stay.

I've been on Bird's side from the start, and I think in the last couple years (after DW left), he's done well enough to show that he has a plan and the aptitude to execute that plan. The only complaint I have is that JO'B is still the coach. But that's a different thread.

I hope Bird stays and extends for awhile.

--pizza

graphic-er
09-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I was beginning to question Bird's overall positive impact on the team up until this summer. He has been a pretty patient guy and has really put us in a situation to be significantly better in the not-too-distant future. I like the way our franchise is looking these days and with 1 key change next summer (PF position), we could easily be looking at a team that could be a 6 seed in the East.

I think whatever happens this season, Bird has earned his stay here.

if we get a star Pf or even an elite Sg this season then i wouldnt be thrilled with anything less than homecourt advantage.

jeffg-body
09-25-2010, 04:00 PM

croz24
09-25-2010, 04:17 PM
i would hate to see bird leave, and then watch george, hibbert, collison, hansbrough, etc lead the pacers to consistent top 4 finishes in the east and become regular contenders.

BlueNGold
09-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Bird will be around as long as he wants to be here. For one reason, we are bound to improve because most of the talent is moving toward prime years. Another reason is that he is making pretty good moves. Also, bad contracts are being replaced by good players like Collison. Finally, I don't read much into the statements.

judicata
09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Bird has the one thing that most GMs who find their teams in the basement do not: patience. He stays unless DC is a bust and the team loses more games than last year.

Will Galen
09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
From what Simon says it appears Bird will stay if he wants to stay.

quote: Simon: "Larry is a very independent guy. He'll sit down with me at the end of the year, and I would love him to be involved in the franchise in some way. He's going to be the one that will give me the direction on where we should go on the basketball side. I have a lot of faith and confidence in him.

By the end of the year, he'll know what he wants to do. I'm open to any suggestions."

Brad8888
09-25-2010, 05:54 PM

quote: Simon: "Larry is a very independent guy. He'll sit down with me at the end of the year, and I would love him to be involved in the franchise in some way. He's going to be the one that will give me the direction on where we should go on the basketball side. I have a lot of faith and confidence in him.

By the end of the year, he'll know what he wants to do. I'm open to any suggestions."

Despite various things that suggest otherwise (including Bird's back problems), the part of the statement saying "I would love him to be involved in the franchise in some way. He's going to be the one that will give me the direction on where we should go on the basketball side" seems, to me at least, to leave open a possibility for Bird to coach the team if he has the pieces in place that make it possible for him to be competitive at a high level as a coach.

Otherwise, what involvement of any significance, other than partial ownership, might Bird want to have with the franchise that Simon could have been referring to?

beast23
09-25-2010, 05:56 PM

I read that as meaning that Simon would like Bird to continue in his present capacity, but he knows that Larry may not want to do that. And if not, I think he is more or less saying that Larry can continue in any capacity he chooses. I think the important thing to Simon is that Larry continue to be involved with the Pacers.

Pacerized
09-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Win or lose, Bird will be here if he wants to be. I hope he's here as long as DW was.

Kegboy
09-25-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think it matters, the performance of a front office can't be measured in wins and losses the season before a massive salary dump. Unless they give Jimmy another extension, then the threshold is 98 wins (excluding preseason.)

PacerGuy
09-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Larry as a partial owner?
W/ MJ owning the Bob's, & Larrys desire to be involved in the NBA w/o the BS he has to deal w/ now, plus the Simons son (David) lack of interest in the team & the loss of Mel l/y, all could be leading things in this direction IMO. I could really see a "partnership" in the not-so-far-away future...

duke dynamite
09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Bird isn't going anywhere. And hell, even if he did I am very confident in David Morway's ablilities to get the job done on his own.

dohman
09-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I tank bird will be here this season and next. He has a goal of getting the team back to the playoffs and after he does that I thi he retires.

This is not our season. It's next season that we will be making our way up the ranks again. Once we stop paying people to sit at home and on the bench and use that money for a stud sg or pf. Then save the rest for dc and hibbert extensions.

Sookie
09-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I think he's done a pretty good job. We have

Collison/Price
Rush/George
Danny/George/Rush
Tyler/Mcbob
Hibbert/??

And he's going to have a ton of money after this season. It'll be interesting to see what we need and where, but that's a darn good base.

MLB007
09-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm hoping that a successful season this year makes him want to stay and enjoy the climb back out of the cellar.
he's earned that IMO.
Wasn't alwasy thrilled with the moves, but I think he's tried.
ANd throwing strikes now. :)

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 09:38 PM
many wins

pacergod2
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I think Bird enjoys what he does. It is a headache at times for him, but I think he relishes staying in the game in some capacity. A guy like that doesn't lose his fire for competition, even if it is vicariously through a team he built. I think he also really likes the flexibility he has in this role. He seems to be a fairly private guy and Indy is more his speed than say NY. Plus its close to his home in Indiana. I think Larry wouldn't mind sticking around for a while to ensure he gets the job done. Larry won't hand off something shoddy to the next guy. He has too much integrity and pride for that. IMO, Bird will be around for another couple years after this year and then he can foray that into ownership or straight retirement.

Justin Tyme
09-27-2010, 11:01 AM
I think he's done a pretty good job. We have

Collison/Price
Rush/George
Danny/George/Rush
Tyler/Mcbob
Hibbert/??

And he's going to have a ton of money after this season. It'll be interesting to see what we need and where, but that's a darn good base.

I notice you left out Stephenson. Oversight or you don't feel Bird made a good choice in drafting Stephenson?