PDA

View Full Version : Pacers owner optimistic about season

Speed
09-25-2010, 07:32 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100925/SPORTS04/9250341/Pacers-owner-optimistic-about-season

<!-- HEAD -->Pacers owner optimistic about season

Written by

Mike Wells (mike.wells@indystar.com)

Sep 25, 2010

Herb Simon wouldn't say the Indiana Pacers are a lock to make the playoffs for the first time since 2006, but the team's owner is optimistic they're heading in that direction.

"We may surprise some people if we stay healthy," Simon said. "We think we made a good trade (for point guard Darren Collison) that will help us in an area we need help. We like our draft picks.

"I'm excited about the season and ready for it to start."

Simon, who said he has gradually taken a more hands-on role with the club, discussed that and more in a wide-ranging interview last week.

Question: Training camp opens Tuesday. How do you feel about the offseason?

Simon: We like our draft picks (Paul George, Lance Stephenson and Magnum Rolle). The fact we're getting (Tyler) Hansbrough back is like we're having two first-round picks this year. There's a lot of enthusiasm among the players already. We think (Roy) Hibbert is going to be even better this year. He's really accepted the challenge. Danny (Granger) got some international experience and he's determined to show everybody. We have a gap with (Troy) Murphy gone, but we have a lot of talent there.

Q: The city was buzzing after the Collison trade, then you had two off-court incidents with Lance Stephenson and Brandon Rush. What were your thoughts?

Simon: We're very disappointed in both of the situations. We spent a lot of time cleaning up the team. Growing up, people have problems and it's unfortunate it happened at the time it happened. (Team president) Larry (Bird) is in full control and taking care of it. We're going to make sure we're going to do the right thing. I just hope that things like that are things of the past.

Q: Larry and GM David Morway took an aggressive approach with Lance by not allowing him to work out at the fieldhouse and making him get counseling. Do you like that approach?

Simon: That's Larry's approach and it shows that he's not going to put up with that type of stuff. There's another side to every story. We have to give the legal system a chance to go through the process. I don't think Lance or Brandon are bad people. They just got into some situations that are very uncomfortable.

Q: What are your thoughts on teams not knowing about a player failing a drug test until it happens for a third time?

Simon: I think that should change in the collective bargaining agreement. I brought that up with the league at our meetings. I think it should be a very important part of the collective bargaining because we can help the player right away. When we finally get to know it under this program, all this time has gone by and we haven't helped anyone. I can't get involved in the negotiations, but if I had anything to say about it, I would like that changed.

Q: Are there any regrets for giving Lance a guaranteed contract?

Simon: No, I don't have any regrets. That contract was based off the potential and upside this young man has. We think he's a real find. We did our investigation. Unfortunately there was another incident that happened that we weren't prepared for. As a player, we're very comfortable with the contract we gave him. I believe Larry will handle the situation properly.

Q: Larry, David and coach Jim O'Brien are in the final years of their contracts. Do you have a number of wins necessary to bring them back?

Simon: I have not thought of anything other than getting through the season. Larry is a very independent guy. He'll sit down with me at the end of the year, and I would love him to be involved in the franchise in some way. He's going to be the one that will give me the direction on where we should go on the basketball side. I have a lot of faith and confidence in him.
If we continue to go in the right direction, I really believe the course Larry has put us on will be a course this city will be very happy with. He always told me it was going to be three years, we're starting the third year. By the end of the year, he'll know what he wants to do. I'm open to any suggestions.

Q: How has your role changed with the team?

Simon: When Donnie (Walsh) was running it, I always said I was a hands-off/hands-on owner. Now I'm a hands-on/hands-on owner. I spend more time strategizing on the basketball side and the non-basketball side. I want to try to give a good product to the city and try to make the team more economically viable to the city. We can do it. We'll continue to work at that.

------------------

I think that is the most luke warm response on Larry that I've heard from Mr. Simon, although I don't want to read too much into it.

90'sNBARocked
09-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I thought it was a pretty decent article. I like how the owner mentioned specifically the rookies. He was pretty open on Lance and Rush and it looks like both are getting help and doing well

I cant remember the last time I was so excited for a Pacers season to start

I guess it was 2004

pizza guy
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
I think that is the most luke warm response on Larry that I've heard from Mr. Simon, although I don't want to read too much into it.

Lukewarm response on Larry, completely absent response on O'Brien. I don't want to read too much into it either, but...hard not to notice that.

--pizza

Brad8888
09-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Lukewarm response on Larry, completely absent response on O'Brien. I don't want to read too much into it either, but...hard not to notice that.

--pizza

Agree on O'Brien. I doubt he is a factor in the thought processes of Herb Simon.

Also hard not to notice when Wells asked the question referring to Larry and David Morway's approach to the Stephenson situation that Simon very succinctly corrected him to say that it is Larry's approach. My guess is that Morway is well liked as the financial mind in the equation and he is safe as a result.

Looks to me like, while he is fully supporting Bird, he is also making it plain that if things don't go well this year that it is all ultimately Bird's responsibility because the Pacers will have made it to the end of the three year plan and that his future will be decided then.

kester99
09-25-2010, 06:03 PM
"The fact we're getting (Tyler) Hansbrough back..."

I was struck by the word 'fact' here. I guess it's a fact we'll be getting him back 'as is,' but I don't recall hearing anything else that said it's a fact that we're getting him back to play minutes in games.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 06:06 PM
"The fact we're getting (Tyler) Hansbrough back..."

I was struck by the word 'fact' here. I guess it's a fact we'll be getting him back 'as is,' but I don't recall hearing anything else that said it's a fact that we're getting him back to play minutes in games.

If he's been cleared to take part in training camp, why would we not then play him in games?

kester99
09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
This is from Conrad Brunner's interview on Sep 20:

Q. Do you have a timeline – training camp, opening night, etc.?
A. I'm going to see my doctors later this week and we'll get an update and we'll go from there. I'm not going to say I'm not going to be out there and I'm not going to say I'm going to be out there right now.

Then we saw this from Wells on the 23rd:

Good news for the Pacers,PF Tyler Hansbrough has been cleared to take part in contact drills. via Mike Wells

Does any of that say 'cleared for training camp?' Or maybe imply it so strongly that we know he'll be there? Or was there a story I missed? And if he's cleared for training camp, do we know that it means his vertigo is gone, or just that they're willing to let him try and play through it?

I'm seriously asking those questions above...not being rhetorical. I don't understand the medical factors, or the NBA-speak concerning contact drills vs training camp, etc.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
This is from Conrad Brunner's interview on Sep 20:

Q. Do you have a timeline training camp, opening night, etc.?
A. I'm going to see my doctors later this week and we'll get an update and we'll go from there. I'm not going to say I'm not going to be out there and I'm not going to say I'm going to be out there right now.

Then we saw this from Wells on the 23rd:

Good news for the Pacers,PF Tyler Hansbrough has been cleared to take part in contact drills. via Mike Wells

Does any of that say 'cleared for training camp?' Or maybe imply it so strongly that we know he'll be there? Or was there a story I missed? And if he's cleared for training camp, do we know that it means his vertigo is gone, or just that they're willing to let him try and play through it?

I'm seriously asking those questions above...not being rhetorical. I don't understand the medical factors, or the NBA-speak concerning contact drills vs training camp, etc.

Tyler has been training all summer, lifting weights, running, doing everything on the court other than participating with full contact from other players. The doctors cleared him for contact, so he can now do everything in training camp.

KennerLeaguer
09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100925/SPORTS04/9250341/Pacers-owner-optimistic-about-season

Is this a new look for the Indy Star? Its terrible.