PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Intriguing Pacer

Chuck Chillout
09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
As training camp gets close, there are a lot of interesting story lines:

Collison as our PG for the next several years?
Tyler staying healthy enough to show what he's got?
Rush's drug suspension + alleged great offseason + new point guard = ?
Stephenson's legal issues + his promising game as a PG = ?

and on and on.

If you had to choose one Pacer you are most intrigued by for the 2010-2011 season, who would it be?

For me, it's McRoberts. With the PF essentially up for grabs barring a trade for an established player, I'm looking forward to seeing if the flashes he's shown as a passer, finisher, and versatile offensive player translate to a more prominent role. I'm rooting for him to earn enough PT to develop beyond a 8-10 minute energy guy, because he has an intriguing skillset.

Psyren
09-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Collison.

He's my most intriguing just because I want to see what he can do as a starter for an entire season, not just 37 or so games. I expect him to be excellent, just not quite what he did last year. I think he'll make everyone on the teams game better, specifically Rush. TJ did Rush no favors last year, and I think Collison just might be that guy who can get Rush to do what I think he can.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xh9eSZyGzUY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xh9eSZyGzUY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Granted, highlights can make anyone look good but I just can't help but to be thrilled at the way he plays.

CooperManning
09-24-2010, 08:49 PM
For the 2010-2011 season? Collison. Long-term? Paul George.

Chuck Chillout
09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Collison.

I think he'll make everyone on the teams game better, specifically Rush. TJ did Rush no favors last year, and I think Collison just might be that guy who can get Rush to do what I think he can.

I'm excited about what ripple effect Collison's game and personality can have, too. I liked at his introductory press conference how he singled out Rush as someone he's excited to play next to.

Sookie
09-24-2010, 08:53 PM
hmm

There's a few, Collison obviously, and I think Roy is very much so himself. But I'd go with Paul George.

Cactus Jax
09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
For me personally, its Granger and how he fits with this offense, and how well or not well he reacts to basically being benched for the Worlds. If he can be an all-star again this year the Pacers have a good shot at the playoffs, if not it probably won't happen.

ChristianDudley
09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
There's lots to be intrigued by. Paul George possibly becoming the best player out of this draft in 5 years. Darren Collison being one of the top PGs in the game (at least in the very near future). Roy Hibbert becoming one of the top centers in the game (maybe 2nd best behind Dwight with Yao unsure about his future as well?). Plus we still have our 24+ PPG All-Star in Danny Granger. Throw all that in with the rest of our youth and potential we have...just gain team chemistry and keep most of this team together in future seasons and we're all of a sudden back in business!! Man, just let the season start already!!!!!

jeffg-body
09-24-2010, 09:16 PM
For me it's Tyler. I hope to see him healthy for the whole season and see what he can do with more minutes. Second would be Collison and how he does in facilitating the offense. Lastly would be George and how much he will be a factor this year.

pwee31
09-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Hansbrough

vnzla81
09-24-2010, 09:30 PM
It has to be Paul George, he is holding the key of the pacers future, we need him to be the Robin to Batman(Danny) or the Batman to Robin.

Lord Helmet
09-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Stanko.

'Nuff said.

Brad8888
09-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I am most intrigued by seeing what a healthier, quicker, and now hopefully better coached and prepared Roy Hibbert can do with his increased utilization within the Pacers offense, with the added benefit of his quickness and better footwork hopefully further reducing his need to reach and pick up relatively cheap fouls on defense. I am really looking forward to the new and improved Roy!

At the end of last season I would have chosen McRoberts, but I am expecting that a healthy Hansbrough is going to eat up a lot of his minutes unless Josh magically becomes proficient on the perimeter as a shooter, even before Hansbrough truly gets acclimated to the NBA game.

A close second would be Collison. If he can utilize good court vision and O'Brien remains patient with him during his first month or two of transition and all of the associated turnovers and mistakes that will come with it, Collison could be a catalyst towards forming a solid team despite our strategic weaknesses. Hopefully he can succeed where virtually all before him have, to varying degrees during the O'Brien years, failed.

Third for me would be Hansbrough and his likely quick rise in minutes and the associated energy increase and agressiveness that he will bring, coupled with the novelty of having a scoring threat on the interior besides Hibbert, which should result in Roy being freed up somewhat more to play his game due to opponents having more than one player to be mindful of down low.

A different feeling, this feeling of being intrigued by several players, and being intrigued by more players than I am disappointed (or worse) in. I am still a darksider, but there are shades of gray within the darkness for me now, and a light in the distance that, at this point at least, doesn't have the sound of a locomotive attached to it. Of course, light does travel a lot faster than sound...

judicata
09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
George is still a completely unknown quantity for me. He is the swing for the fences, and I am eager to see how he turns out.

I have a good amount of faith that Collison, Posey and Tyler are who I think they are. I have no doubt that Lance has the skills to be an NBA baller, and almost no doubt that he will squander his ability. I have no expectations regarding Rolle, and expect very little from McRoberts.

So really, the question is whether George is that guy, or just jumps like that guy.

beast23
09-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Collison.

He's my most intriguing just because I want to see what he can do as a starter for an entire season, not just 37 or so games. I expect him to be excellent, just not quite what he did last year. I think he'll make everyone on the teams game better, specifically Rush. TJ did Rush no favors last year, and I think Collison just might be that guy who can get Rush to do what I think he can. I think this is an excellent point.

Previously, my thoughts toward McRoberts were that he has this coming year to prove himself, but that he will most likely be gone going into the following season.

But your post regarding a potential improvement in Rush due to Collison being our PG got me to thinking about any similar effects that Collison may have on other players as well. I am hoping that McRoberts might be a player that could also gain from Collison.

I've always felt that the mark of really, really good PG was an ability to make those around him "better"... or at least as good as their potential will enable them to be.

So, I guess the most intriguing Pacer to me, and the one that I will pay the closest attention to this year, will be Collison himself. Will he not only give us more defense and a better controlling hand at the point, but will he find ways to make those around him better?

BlueNGold
09-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Lots to draw interest.

Certainly Tyler has the potential to make a huge difference. I enjoy watching him play, so I just hope he has no setbacks. Roy's development will be critical to the team's success. If he does not substantively improve, we are not making any noise in the playoffs. I don't expect much from George at all next year, but it will be interesting to see him play. I expect McBob to get more minutes and bring young energy to the floor. I hope he's too good to keep off the floor in favor of Foster.

But without question, Collison is the most interesting player. He appears to have leadership skills and might be a glue guy too. While George has the most upside, I am hoping Collison develops into an elite PG...starting this year.

IndyHoosier
09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
The most intriguing Pacer this season has to be Clark Kellogg. How is he going to handle the mentoring of Lance once the NCAA season starts? Can he get Rush hooked on K2 instead of weed? Will he be able to corral Magnum's tweets from the broadcast booth? All intriguing questions that will be answered in the coming months.

xBulletproof
09-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I've spent enough time watching Collison that I'm fairly certain in what we're getting.

So George is my choice. If he's worthy of 10-15 minutes per game as a rookie, and doesn't look like a deer in headlights, I'll be very intrigued at how good he can be.

Tylers health is something I'm paranoid about, not intrigued by. Heh.

Hicks
09-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Can I just start by saying that I love that this is actually a difficult question to answer this year, for the right reasons? A lot of things to be excited about this year.

Possible answers for me:

Collison, George, Hibbert, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson (if innocent).

The first four are what I'm most looking forward to above the other two, so while I want to see all six, that'll be my first tie-breaker.

So Darren Collison, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, and Tyler Hansbrough.

Tyler is the one I have the least amount of faith in being a key piece in the future (in terms of star power or even close), so I'll let that be my next tie breaker, even though I love how he plays, hope he stays healthy, and I'm thrilled he's on the team.

#2, #24, #55.

Part of the fun and excitement of a new season is the "new toy syndrome", and since I've seen Roy before, I'll make that my next tie breaker, even though I'm excited to see just how much better he is this year. I really think this is Roy's "leap" year.

DC or PG.

I think CooperManning said it well earlier. In the long-term, Paul George may be the better player. In fact, what excites and intrigues me about Paul is I believe there's a chance he's the best player on our roster (at least in terms of each player's full career, health-permitting), but I don't know how ready he is to contribute yet.

So ultimately I have to go with Darren, but Paul is a very close second because Jim hinted that Paul won't be as green as I may have expected him to be. He could step in right away and be a rotation player.

09-25-2010, 12:08 AM
What ISN'T interesting this season? This may be the most interesting season since 2001 following the 2000 NBA finals.

pacer4ever
09-25-2010, 02:01 AM
George i think if he flurishes the pacers could make the playoffs. Also to see how much JOB wll play him

Chuck Chillout
09-25-2010, 07:44 AM
George is still a completely unknown quantity for me. He is the swing for the fences, and I am eager to see how he turns out.

I have a good amount of faith that Collison, Posey and Tyler are who I think they are. I have no doubt that Lance has the skills to be an NBA baller, and almost no doubt that he will squander his ability. I have no expectations regarding Rolle, and expect very little from McRoberts.

So really, the question is whether George is that guy, or just jumps like that guy.

George is Bender-esque at this point. Less hype, more under the radar, but with the same possibilities. Before Bender had all of the health problems, it was tough to see a ceiling. George is similar, and we haven't had that type of player for a long time.

Pacers#1Fan
09-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I have a hard time picking just one Pacer. There is more intrigue to this team then any Pacers team I can remember in the last few years

Roy: With the stellar offseason he has had I'm very anxious to see how that translates to the court

Tyler: Can he stay healthy and build on the stats he put up his rookie season?

PG: How long will it take him to realize his potential (if ever)?

Collison: With him officially having his own team to lead can he take control and put up stats comparable to his starts stats in NO?

Stephenson: Keep the attitude and off the court stuff under control and build on his showing the the summer league.

pizza guy
09-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Among the considerations: Roy, Collison, Hansbrough, Dunleavy

Roy -- Potential breakout year after showing progress over the last couple years. His intense training this off-season. He's been heavily marketed this off-season. If he puts his game together and plays consistently on the level that we've seen flashes of, he's going to be a very good Center in this league, and that's exciting.

Collison -- As Hicks said, it's the "new toy" feeling. I want to see Collison play up to his billing coming from New Orleans. He's young, exciting, talented, well-spoken...everything we wanted in our mystical "Point Guard X." Very excited to see DC make a name for himself in Indy and bring a bit of respect back to the Pacers.

Hansbrough -- Obviously, his health is a question. If he stays healthy and can play, I'm really intrigued by his potential. Coming out of college there were as many opinions on Tyler as anyone I can remember, some good and some bad. We could have our hands on a guy who could potentially be an All-Star, or he could be just another big body off the bench, or he could have serious problems with his health and never be anything. I'm really pulling for Psycho T to return to form and help Roy dominate the paint for years to come.

Dunleavy -- No one else has mentioned Mike, and probably for good reason. We know what kind of player Dun is, we know his strengths and weaknesses, there's nothing really to look for in his game. But, let's assume Granger has another good season and is a fringe All-Star, Collison plays well but is still adjusting to O'B and his new teammates and he doesn't quite reach Steve Nash/Magic Johnson/Big O expectations (exaggerated to make a point), Roy really does improve and is a fringe All-Star as well, and Tyler is able to earn the starting spot. All that does is put us right around the 8th or 9th spot probably as we still don't have a real big-name superstar type of player (on the Kobe/LeBron level). What do we need then? A 6th Man of the Year candidate. A healthy, effective Dunleavy is a guy that can come in and be a jolt off the bench, provide some quick scoring, and not be in the game long enough to be a major defensive liability. A good 6th Man year from Dun could put us firmly in the 7th spot, and 8th with ease. That's why I put Dunleavy on my list, his game could potentially swing us from young upstarts to young, deep, talented, and dangerous.

All that said, I'm going to be watching Hansbrough this year. I want to see him do well and be our mystical "PF X" of the future. Obviously, the whole team is exciting, the activity and changes and draft picks and energy...it's definitely nice to have a really good feeling about the team going into a new season instead of the same old, no-hope-for-the-future team we've seen for a couple years.

--pizza

MLB007
09-25-2010, 09:49 AM
What everyone else has said plus:

Mike Dunleavy.
Scoff if you want.
The guy is a very good player that's not been healthy for 2 years.
He was our "glue" guy before.
His ball movement and overall bb intelligence make this team better when he is on the floor.

Intrigued as hell about Tyler and Darren and Roy and Paul and AJ and McBob(kinda)
but Dunleavy is a guy that nobody else here expects to be significant for this team.
And he COULD be one of the best players.......
AND could make himself VERY valuable trade material if they're sure Paul can replace him next year.

Putnam
09-25-2010, 10:12 AM
It's a good question. But I can't give choose among Hibbert, Collison and Hansbrough.

speakout4
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I am most intrigued by what tyler could have been. I hope he will be productive but I think that this issue will always be a problem more or less. Even if seemingly healthy I don't think he can be as physical as he once was. He particularly needs to stay away from flying elbows.

Trophy
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm torn between Collison and Hansbrough, but I'm gonna say Collison.

I'm excited that he's here and we finally have a young PG for many more years to come, but I'm excited to see how Tyler is gonna do now that he's healthy.

Sparhawk
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Personally for me, I'm most excited about Lance, but that comes with a huge "if". If he is found innocent. This guy has the potential to be the steal of the draft. They guy has NBA game. He didn't show it well in college, but that can be a different type of basketball. There are some players that are huge in college and can't crack it in the NBA, like Adam Morrison quickly comes to mind. If he stays a Pacers, I truly believe he'll be the steal of the draft like Agent 0. Can Lance play the point? He's best suited for the SG position, but if Obie was smart, he'd make sure Lance split time evenly at PG/SG.

Paul is second on my list cause the Pacers haven't had a player with his athleticism in quite some time. Some mentioned Bender earlier, and I totally agree. Unfortunately, his knees couldn't support his body. PG is shorter, so I hope he won't have that problem, but he'll still need to add some muscle. Even PG comes with a big "if". If he can live up to potential, we may have a young Tracy McGrady or Shawn Marion type player on our hands. Still, he's probably 2-3 years away from really contributing.

I really liked what Bird has done with drafting. Draft solid contributers that can start or come off the bench like Hans and getting a player like Hibbert. Players that are sound and you know what you'll get from them. Then this year drafting top level talent, but that always comes with a risk of players not panning out.

I'm hoping Hans can be the fiery leader for this team that hold everyone accountable. I wish him the best and a long career and that the vertigo won't be a problem moving forward. That could possibly be the worst way to end your career. I'd rather go out like Chuck and ***** up my knee after years of service.

Collison was a huge pick up. This team needed a true PG presence on the floor, and that's what they got. They had to sacrifice the PF spot and rebounding, but totally worth it.

I too want to see if Dunleavy can come back. This guy has great BBIQ, and I think he is someone you want mentoring a guy like PG. Hell, if Dunleavy's career is cut short, I could see him becoming a coach in a short span of time.

Hibbert is a one man marketing tool. The Pacers need to get this guy as much spotlight as possible. This guy is really likeable and can probably help get fans back in the stands.

I'd also like to see players step up and help score so Granger can go back to being a well rounded player by focusing more on defense. I think with Granger not getting much playing time at the WBC will help light a fire for him to show everyone that he can excel playing D.

Maybe the biggest question is will Magnum be a Pacer? Will there be a trade or will someone get bought out.

What I don't want to see.
1. Obie - but we're stuck.
2. Players settling for jump shots and 3s.
3. Players getting arrested or more bad publicity

Whew! That was longer than I expected. This should be a pretty exciting season.

Brad8888
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I also agree with pizza guy and MLB007 with Dunleavy deserving mention. A healthy Dunleavy with a clear minded focus could actually propel the team to the next level due to his ability to turn our offense that is allegedly motion based into an actual motion based passing attack with additional firepower both long range AND O'Brien's least favorite, quality looks from midrange, leading to an element of surprise from the Pacers offense that has been missing since his going down for his surgery. He could be a darkhorse candidate for being both the most important and improved Pacer on the roster. However, I am afraid that he might not be either totally healthy or completely focused due to his likely wondering where he is going to be playing after this year, and possibly after the trade deadline this year, which substantially reduces the likelihood of his reaching such a lofty expectation, and that is too bad because I am a huge fan of what his game ultimately could have been.

LoneGranger33
09-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Clearly, there's a lot of storylines to be developed over the next couple months. With the exception of Solomon Jones (and probably Dahntay Jones too), everybody else on the roster is of interest for one reason or another. Can Foster bounce back from injuries, or is his career effectively over? Can James Posey rededicate himself to playing basketball after a down year? The storyline I'll be paying the most attention to, however, is that of Brandon Rush.

I've been a Rush supporter since his rookie year, and I think (as many of us do) he has the tools to be a great player in the league (he's already a good player, in my opinion). Many people (most?) view this upcoming season as his make-or-break year - and this was before the failed drug tests became public knowledge. Other than possibly Darren Collison (because of the hype and the expected team improvement that corresponds to an upgrade at the 1), Rush has the most pressure going into next year. Add to that the fact that D.C. wants to play with him and that we've heard reports of a great offseason. Lastly, as a Rush apologist, there's a lot more at stake for me personally, as a poster here at PD and with the few friends I still have.

Without a doubt, we'll learn more about Brandon Rush - as a person and as a player - this season than we have the past two.

IndyPacer
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
My pick for the near future would definitely be Roy Hibbert, as I think he's a guy who could be a top 10 and perhaps even top 5 or better at his position. There aren't many good pure centers currently in the league, and Hibbert could be better than most. He's a great teammate, is very driven to improve, and we haven't seen him in a system that favors his game, nor have we seen him play will a high caliber point guard. The addition of Collison should be great for Hibbert, and I'd also add that Tyler could also be a great sidekick for Hibbert inside. Hibbert has a tough time defensively and rebounding all alone, which leads to extra fouls. Tyler is going to have far more of a power game than Murphy, reducing some of Hibbert's struggles in these aforementioned areas. I would guess a speedy wing player would have a much more difficult time driving to the basket against a tree like Hibbert and relentless crazyman Tyler chasing him around than Hibbert isolated with Murphy taking a 24-second break until we got possession of the ball again. This situation should lead to less fouls for Hibbert. No, Hans isn't a lockdown defender, but he'll be a massive defensive upgrade over Murphy.

Combine the potentially lower fouls, training with Walton, and having a good PG to distribute the ball, and Hibbert is the runaway choice in my view with no disrespect intended to our other exciting prospects.

Also, long-term, Paul George is of course a fantastic prospect. He can be as good as he wants to be, really. He should be able to at minimum play both wing positions, already possesses impressive skills, and has both length and athleticism.