PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Allegedy Agrees To Join Nets

Psyren
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Brian T. Smith
Salt Lake Tribune - Jazz Beat Writer
http://twitter.com/tribjazz

RT @NYDNInterNets: Reliable source: Carmelo has approved the deal to the Nets.

I don't know just how reliable this guy is, but he seems to be legit.

UPDATES

Marc J. Spears
Yahoo.com - Yahoo Sports
http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

Melo has 48 hours to decide whether to agree to sign a extension in a trade with nets or stay put, a source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo.com - Yahoo Sports
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Nets and Bobcats still haven't agreed on DJ Augustin coming to Jersey as part of deal, team sources say. Nets need that in deal.

Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post
http://twitter.com/nuggetsnews

source told me melo is leanin toward the extension but nothing concrete yet

bambam
09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I am not saying I know for sure, but heard many conversations on this that it might have to involve a 3rd team.

bambam
09-24-2010, 08:13 PM
And now I found this....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50350720-62/diaw-deal-jazz-kirilenko.html.csp

BlueNGold
09-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Nets need a PG. We have TJ. How do we get involved?

Kstat
09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
THey would have Farmar and Augustin. Probably not going to care about TJ Ford.

Psyren
09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Nets need a PG. We have TJ. How do we get involved?
We send them TJ and Solo and take back Murphy?

hahahahahah :p

Day-V
09-24-2010, 08:50 PM
We send them TJ and Solo and take back Murphy?

You shut your mouth right now.

Psyren
09-24-2010, 08:53 PM
You shut your mouth right now.
:laugh: haha had to say it.

speakout4
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM
THey would have Farmar and Augustin. Probably not going to care about TJ Ford.
Then Charlotte could use a PG.

Doddage
09-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Then Charlotte could use a PG.
If they get Harris, they'd have three PGs with him, Livingston, and Collins.

Cactus Jax
09-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Not sure why New Jersey would trade Harris for Augestin, unless its about pure money for Melo. That doesnt seem like a wise basketball decision.

Lord Helmet
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Carmelo has approved the trade. :laugh:

Hopefully this trade is good enough for him. All us peasants bow down.

Will Galen
09-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Not sure why New Jersey would trade Harris for Augestin, unless its about pure money for Melo. That doesnt seem like a wise basketball decision.

It's a mult team trade, it get's them Melo.

Shade
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Right now, this has the feel to me of one of those trades that doesn't make anyone significantly better.

ksuttonjr76
09-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Right now, this has the feel to me of one of those trades that doesn't make anyone significantly better.

The Bobcats will become instantly better with Devin Harris. After that...meh.

Day-V
09-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but I've felt for awhile now that Carmelo's career could potentially turn towards the Vince Carter route. Hell, he's mirroring Vince, already. Abandoning ship and heading to New Jersey.

ThA HoyA
09-25-2010, 10:49 AM
How is melo abandoning ship?? Because he wants to give the nuggets a wake up call about how they are running the organization... Basically it isn't all about the money or else he would have signed the extension then demanded a trade...

bulldog
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
"Nets and Bobcats still haven't agreed on DJ Augustin coming to Jersey as part of deal, team sources say. Nets need that in deal."

Somehow I doubt that the Nets would turn down a trade for Melo because they couldn't get DJ Augustin.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 11:15 AM
How is melo abandoning ship?? Because he wants to give the nuggets a wake up call about how they are running the organization... Basically it isn't all about the money or else he would have signed the extension then demanded a trade...

No, it's about playing in a bigger market. He couldn't go to Chicago or New York, so he settled for the team that will be moving to New York in 2 years.

d_c
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Agree. Read some articles about how their ownership and upper management have been running things. They've alienated guys who have helped them build their team. Sounds similar to how the Warriors were run under their now outgoing ownership.

All of this reflects on the man at the top. Kroenke's aversion to publicity in a very public business has created an odd disconnect in the organization: Everyone is publicly accountable except for the owner, his adviser and his son.
So the elder Kroenke hires people to provide the public accountability required of a pro sports team's front office Kiki Vandeweghe, Warkentien, Chapman and then tires of them and the publicity they receive.

More than one Nuggets official over the years has asked me to keep his name out of the paper so as not to antagonize the owner.

If you were Melo, would you recommit now to an organization facing so many questions and offering so few answers?

Me neither.

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_15764171?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-columnists-dave_krieger+(Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Columnists% 3A+Dave+Krieger)#ixzz10YRvZsoI

It gets back to the point: players (especially the really good ones) don't want to play for bad organizations or organizations that they think are dysfunctional and poorly run.

When some average Joe Schmoe wants out of a bad organization, it's no big deal. When a great player wants out of a bad organization, people take notice of this more and start calling the guy a quitter.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 11:32 AM
...he left the Nuggets for the Nets because the Nets were a better-run organization? Seriously?

Is that also why he was so hot for the Knicks? All that front-office stability and organizational success?

ThA HoyA
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
No, it's about playing in a bigger market. He couldn't go to Chicago or New York, so he settled for the team that will be moving to New York in 2 years.

The thing is he can go there after he's a free agent, so he doesn't necessarily have to settle... I think there's more to it than just playing in a bigger market. Especially when you consider how Denver has a better team than the nets. So sticking around for another year in Denver then signing in new York. Is a better situation than settling for the nets and signing a long term deal just to eventually be in new york. Plus the nets will just be like the clippers to the lakers. Just from a media standpoint

Kstat
09-25-2010, 11:40 AM
He can go there as a free agent next year (or maybe not due to an impending lockout), or he can get a head start this year while there's still basketball to be played, and he knows he can get his money via a contract extension. Who knows what the CBA will look like next summer? There's no doubt he wanted a deal in place this year. He just didn't want it in Denver.

There is no other rational reason why 2 of his top 3 choices were the Knicks and the Nets, both of which are worse situations than Denver.

ThA HoyA
09-25-2010, 11:42 AM
He can go there as a free agent next year (or maybe not due to an impending lockout), or he can get a head start this year while there's still basketball to be played, and he knows he can get his money via a contract extension. Who knows what the CBA will look like next summer? There's no doubt he wanted a deal in place thi year. he just didn't want it in Denver.

There is no other rational reason why 2 of his top 3 choices were the Knicks and the Nets, both of which are worse situations than Denver.

That makes sense for sure... I didn't realize that he had 3 choices. I always thought it was Chicago and Knicks and then basically back to denver

d_c
09-25-2010, 11:43 AM
...he left the Nuggets for the Nets because the Nets were a better-run organization? Seriously?

As of now, the Nugz just rolled off 3 guys in the front office responsible for a lot of their success. For some reason, they felt the need to pay Al Harrington $33M (which isn't much smaller than his previous deal) as their big FA signing when the previous two teams that had him couldn't wait for his previous deal to expire. Chauncey isn't getting younger. Basically, his chances of winning in Denver were only going to get worse from here on out.

The Nets for the past 8 years have been a well run organization. Certainly no worse than the pre-Carmelo Nuggets were. They have a young core with a deep pocketed owner. They had to go through the inevitable rebuilding phase when Kidd got old and they (wisely) traded him while he still had some value.

d_c
09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
That makes sense for sure... I didn't realize that he had 3 choices. I always thought it was Chicago and Knicks and then basically back to denver

Chicago won't give up Noah. I would if I were them, but that's certainly a debatable decision either way. The Knicks just don't have the assets to get a deal done.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 11:46 AM
The Nets for the past 8 years have been a well run organization

You can't say that with a straight face. you just can't.

Even this trade is a lateral move. They're giving up Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, and a draft pick. That's 3 of the top 4 future assets off of a 12-win franchise.

We're already seen what Carmelo's limitations are when he doesn't have any help. Their billionaire owner wanted a superstar to market and Carmelo wanted a city big enough to market himself. That's what this is about.

Melo and Lopez are probably worth 35-40 wins. The Nets are a coin flip to make the playoffs, and they won't have a draft pick to improve with.

d_c
09-25-2010, 11:51 AM
You can't say that with a straight face. you just can't.

They've made 2 appearance in the NBA Finals during that time frame with 6 total playoff appearances. A poorly run organization doesn't do that. They rode that horse as far as they could and then they've had to rebuild.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
you said the last 8 years, not 8 years ago. The last 5 years they have been a disaster.

They rode Jason Kidd as far as he could go. They haven't proven to be any bigger than Kidd made them. They sucked before him, and they sucked even worse after he left. There was no grand plot there.

d_c
09-25-2010, 12:04 PM
you said the last 8 years, not 8 years ago. The last 5 years they have been a disaster.

They rode Jason Kidd as far as he could go. They haven't proven to be any bigger than Kidd made them. They sucked before him, and they sucked even worse after he left. There was no grand plot there.

The last 5 years of that disaster still includes playoff berths. They were a smart enough get Kidd while still in his prime, then had a strong run with a team built around him.

I'd rather go to the Knicks/Bulls (among others) if I'm Carmelo, but if he sees a sinking ship in Denver (or at least one going nowhere), then I don't blame him for pushing this. He's closer to home with a younger team and a deep pocketed owner.

ThA HoyA
09-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Chicago won't give up Noah. I would if I were them, but that's certainly a debatable decision either way. The Knicks just don't have the assets to get a deal done.

Yea I don't understand Chicago on that one. When u can get a player that you have to gameplan around you do it.

vnzla81
09-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Yea I don't understand Chicago on that one. When u can get a player that you have to gameplan around you do it.

Yeah they are still hoping for Deng
To be the next MJ :lol: