PDA

View Full Version : Nene Hilario anybody?

vnzla81
09-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok now that it looks like Denver is going to go into rebuilding mode I was thinking that the Pacers should try to get their power forward Nene Hilarios, I would send a 1st round pick an expiring and maybe a young player, what do you guys think about it?

Do you think he could be the Pacers power forward of the future?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrfZ3p7GgMQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrfZ3p7GgMQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DA32mBX-yLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DA32mBX-yLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kstat
09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
He's more of a center now, and his name is just "Nene."

Lord Helmet
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
It's NENE, get it right!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom White
09-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I think his future is probably in his past.

I'd just as soon see what Hans can bring this year. Nene has a player contract of about $10M+, which is a lot for a player who has become pretty much a 10 & 6 guy.

Kstat
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
I think his future is probably in his past.

I'd just as soon see what Hans can bring this year.

Fun fact: Nene is only 3 years older than Tyler Hansbrough.

count55
09-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Maybyner Rodney Hilario

****in' a, bubba. I'd take him.

pacers74
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Pass, he is paid too much and owed 11.6 mil in 2011-2012. That would probably hurt are chances of signing a big name free agent. If we trade for someone, I hope it is a young up and coming big. Nene is nice, but not for the price tag.

ChristianDudley
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't mind him as he's finally turned into the brute he was supposed to be in the paint...great, tough big that can rebound very well. I'd just hope that he wouldn't keep being injury-prone as he appears to be right now (I think he's fully recovered as of this moment, though). Since T.J.'s and Nene's contracts are close, I wouldn't mind doing that trade...maybe throw in Solo as well? :)

xBulletproof
09-24-2010, 07:44 PM
He's overpaid, and injury prone. No way I'm trading expiring contracts for that. That's a quick way to get back to salary cap hell. No thanks.

King Tuts Tomb
09-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I watched all his games when I lived in Denver and I was never too impressed. He's the ultimate highlight player. He has a couple amazing plays a game that make you think "Wow, Nene had a great game" then look at the box score and he'd end up with 9 points and 6 rebounds. He has a ton of tools but they haven't added up to a consistent game yet.

But like KStat said, he's a relatively young guy. Maybe he can put it all together and be worth the contract.

Hicks
09-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Isn't Nene the guy Jim O'Brien once said would be the ideal PF to put next to Roy?

Pacerized
09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
He only played in 82 games last year and 79 games the year before that, he averaged about 14 and 8 for both seasons. In the 07-08 season he had surgery for testicular cancer and only played in 15 games but I think that issue is well behind him as the past 2 seasons indicate. I wouldn't call him injury prone and he's young enough to be effective for years to come. He's no all star but a very solid starting big man who could easily play the 4 or 5 for us. I'd take him if it only meant giving up an expiring contract.

CooperManning
09-24-2010, 08:46 PM
He can opt out next summer, I'd rather wait a year and pursue him as a free agent than give up a first + expirers for him.

Cactus Jax
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
He can opt out next summer, I'd rather wait a year and pursue him as a free agent than give up a first + expirers for him.

He's not opting out if he knows whats best for him. The new barganing agreement could kill his pay after this season.

vnzla81
09-24-2010, 09:06 PM
He only played in 82 games last year and 79 games the year before that, he averaged about 14 and 8 for both seasons. In the 07-08 season he had surgery for testicular cancer and only played in 15 games but I think that issue is well behind him as the past 2 seasons indicate. I wouldn't call him injury prone and he's young enough to be effective for years to come. He's no all star but a very solid starting big man who could easily play the 4 or 5 for us. I'd take him if it only meant giving up an expiring contract.

This is what I was thinking everytime somebody mentioned that he is injury prone.

xBulletproof
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
He only played in 82 games last year and 79 games the year before that

And in the 4 seasons before that he averaged 34 games per year. We can just ignore that. That's cool.

IndyHoosier
09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
No thanks!

beast23
09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
..But like KStat said, he's a relatively young guy. Maybe he can put it all together and be worth the contract.That is exactly the point that rubs me the wrong way.

You are suggesting that he is NOT worth his contract now. Therefore, you propose that we acquire a player that we KNOW is not worth his contract in hopes that he can be worth his contract in the future?

Not exactly a good buy if you ask me. I want a player who is already performing that we may have to pay more for on his next contract. I will admit that this ends up paying quite a bit for a player, but at least the end result will be that we will be paying for a proven player, one that we know is able to perform.

That's what teams do that have cap space. They have the room to pay for proven commodities.

So, if you ask me it's a nay-nay for Nene. Or no-no for Nene, however you want to say it.

09-24-2010, 11:53 PM
And in the 4 seasons before that he averaged 34 games per year. We can just ignore that. That's cool.

Dude, it was primarily cancer related. How can you call a guy "injury prone" for suffering from testicular cancer.

xBulletproof
09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Dude, it was primarily cancer related. How can you call a guy "injury prone" for suffering from testicular cancer.

Primarily? Really? He announced the cancer January 11th 2008. He had surgery and returned to action March 28th, 2008. That covers 37 of the 136 games he missed in that 4 year span. There's still 99 games left from 3 previous seasons .....

Pacerized
09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I think it's possible to do better but I don't think he's that far off from earning his salary, it's not like he's making 20 million like Brand or Kenyon Martin is. 14 and 8 in 32 min. is a productive starting big man and his contract isn't that long. I'd rather see us trade for Kamen this year if it's possible, and I'd rather see us land Horford as a free agent but both of those scenarios are very unlikely. I don't see us doing much better for trading an expiring contract. It's really unlikely that we can lure a top free agent big man here, so I'd rather see the team try to trade our expiring contracts before the trade deadline.
The thing is that Nene is still young enough that I doubt that Denver will look to move him. He can still be part of their rebuilding program. Landing Kirilenko, Favors and another 1st. round pick may only put Denver 2-3 years away from being a contender again. I think it's more likely for them to try to move Billups.

vnzla81
09-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Primarily? Really? He announced the cancer January 11th 2008. He had surgery and returned to action March 28th, 2008. That covers 37 of the 136 games he missed in that 4 year span. There's still 99 games left from 3 previous seasons .....

He was out for almost a year for personal reasons(cancer) then by the time he was ready to come back is when they announced that he had cancer. Do you really think that somebody is going to be cure of cancer in few months?

xBulletproof
09-25-2010, 12:31 AM
He was out for almost a year for personal reasons(cancer) then by the time he was ready to come back is when they announced that he had cancer.

He took the leave of absence for medical reasons on January 11th. The day I stated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3192642

Updated: January 12, 2008, 1:36 AM ET

Nene took an indefinite leave of absence from the team Friday to take care of a personal medical issue. The Nuggets wouldn't elaborate on what was wrong with Nene, who missed 22 games earlier this season after surgery on his left thumb.

So, no the games he missed earlier in the season was not due to the cancer either. It was due to thumb surgery.

Am I the only person who knows how to search something? Can you not look something up before claiming something that's completely not true?

Frustrating.

*EDIT to respond to your edit* They didn't "cure his cancer" anyway, they removed a cancerous tumor. Entirely different than treating the cancer.

pizza guy
09-25-2010, 08:54 AM
He's more of a center now, and his name is just "Nene."

Just one name? Who are you, Seal?

:laugh:

Nene = 11.6 mil
Hans = 2.1 mil

Therefore, for now, Hans > Nene by way of being < Nene, lol. What I mean is, why pay an older guy more for the same thing a younger guy can do?

--pizza

Pacerized
09-25-2010, 09:06 AM
If Hans ever makes it to the level Nene is at I'd be very happy.
I'd also be happy if Mcbob or Hans could become our long term solution as a starting 4 but I think that's a bit of a reach. We need to go after another big either before the trade deadline or as our target in the off season and we'll have to pay 5-8 times what Hans makes to get this. I'll agree that Nene is slightly, but only slightly overpaid, but you have to overpay for a quality big man under the current cba.

In answer to a prior question: Yes, I think you do forget about Nene's early career injuries when you see how productive he's been playing while only missing a combined 3 games in the past 2 full seasons.
It's all a pointless conversation anyway since I don't think we can land him for an expiring contract.

Just one name? Who are you, Seal?

:laugh:

Nene = 11.6 mil
Hans = 2.1 mil

Therefore, for now, Hans > Nene by way of being < Nene, lol. What I mean is, why pay an older guy more for the same thing a younger guy can do?

--pizza

D-BONE
09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I suppose injury-concerns are somewhat legit with Nene. But, if you give him credit for the cancer season, he's basically got three complete in a row. When does one live down the injury-prone label? Question is just that. Not related to our potential interest in Nene. Although I admit I think he is a solid big who could play 4/5.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
The last two seasons, he's shot %60 and %59 from the field. Not going to find a much more efficient center.

MLB007
09-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Fun fact: Nene is only 3 years older than Tyler Hansbrough.

That's 1/2 a career. ;)

MLB007
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
If Hans ever makes it to the level Nene is at I'd be very happy.
I'd also be happy if Mcbob or Hans could become our long term solution as a starting 4 but I think that's a bit of a reach. We need to go after another big either before the trade deadline or as our target in the off season and we'll have to pay 5-8 times what Hans makes to get this. I'll agree that Nene is slightly, but only slightly overpaid, but you have to overpay for a quality big man under the current cba.

In answer to a prior question: Yes, I think you do forget about Nene's early career injuries when you see how productive he's been playing while only missing a combined 3 games in the past 2 full seasons.
It's all a pointless conversation anyway since I don't think we can land him for an expiring contract.

I expect Hans will match those numbers this year if he's healthy.

Trophy
09-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I've never understood why Nene doesn't go by Hilario as his last name.

I guess for formal paperwork he puts down Nene Hilario.

I assume it's like Seattle Mariners player, Ichiro who really doesn't go by Suzuki as his last name.

About the idea of getting Nene, I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but he would have to be comfortable playing next to Roy.

vnzla81
09-25-2010, 10:42 AM

I assume it's like Seattle Mariners player, Ichiro who really doesn't go by Suzuki as his last name.

About the idea of getting Nene, I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but he would have to be comfortable playing next to Roy.

He changed his name to Neńe(baby) in 2003, I think it was easier for people to call him that because his other name was kind of hard to pronounce, my assumption is that Neńe was his nickname growing up.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM

He doesn't go by Hilario anymore because it's not his name anymore. His name is literally, JUST Nene, one word.

As to the debate of trading for him, I say absolutely not. Why should we trade for a guy getting paid $11-$12 million to put up 13 points and 7 rebounds a game?

Seriously, how does that sound even remotely advantageous for the Pacers franchise?

KennerLeaguer
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Nene is a good player who would probably be better served playing PF as long as its not for O'Brien.

As for his shooting percentage, it is high because he is a player that seems to get most of his baskets as a result of teammates feeding him for dunks or because of putbacks off of rebounds. But he's not known for creating shots for himself nor is he known for regularly posting people up and scoring at a high clip. If he could do those things and still make 60% of his shots, Carmello would have less reasons to seek a trade from Denver.

Lance George
09-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd rather give Hansbrough and company a chance to prove what they've got. If they fail and Nene is available at the trade deadline, then maybe we can talk.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Nene is a good player who would probably be better served playing PF as long as its not for O'Brien.

As for his shooting percentage, it is high because he is a player that seems to get most of his baskets as a result of teammates feeding him for dunks or because of putbacks off of rebounds. But he's not known for creating shots for himself nor is he known for regularly posting people up and scoring at a high clip. If he could do those things and still make 60% of his shots, Carmello would have less reasons to seek a trade from Denver.

He must have the NBA record for easy baskets per game if he's averaging 14ppg exclusively on layups and dunks....

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 02:12 PM
He must have the NBA record for easy baskets per game if he's averaging 14ppg exclusively on layups and dunks....

He did average 3.5 ppg off of FTs, so knock that down to about 10 ppg on layups and dunks and the fact that he played almost 34 minutes per game and, it doesn't seem that hard to believe.

MillerTime
09-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Hes not opting out. Theres no way he gets that kind of money again

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Perfect reason NOT to trade for him. We'd basically be getting TJ'd again, with a player picking up an option that we absolutely DO NOT want to pay.

KennerLeaguer
09-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Brendan Haywood shot around 56% from the field last season. Of course his average of roughly nine points tells the true story. Haywood is limited on offense and therefore tries to do only the basic stuff when he's no more than four feet from the basket. I won't suggest Nene is exactly THAT limited, but like Haywood he is not the type of player that you want to toss the ball into so he can post someone up. I have respect for Nene but essentially he's a guy who gets the garbage baskets for Denver, although he shows a bit of a faceup game from time to time.

But if I play devil's advocate and say that a high fg% proves that a big man is a beast in the paint, then shouldn't a certain poster who blasted Carlos Boozer a couple of weeks back be slurping him instead for his .562 shooting last season?

pacer4ever
09-25-2010, 05:40 PM

i never thoght darko would get 5mill per year but the T wolves paid it you would be surprised. Some one will overpay for him.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
i never thoght darko would get 5mill per year but the T wolves paid it you would be surprised. Some one will overpay for him.

there's a big difference between $5 million and $12 million. Besides, that "someone" that gave Darko $5 million was David Kahn, not any other GM in the NBA. That's like trying comparing a chimpanzees actions to those of a reasonably intelligent human being.

xBulletproof
09-25-2010, 06:22 PM
there's a big difference between $5 million and $12 million. Besides, that "someone" that gave Darko $5 million was David Kahn, not any other GM in the NBA. That's like trying comparing a chimpanzees actions to those of a reasonably intelligent human being.

There's also a big difference between Darko and Nene as well.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 06:24 PM

very true. both are overpaid, but when you look at their pay rates, they're seperated by about what they should be. Cut each of their contracts in half (or close to half) and they would both be getting about what they're worth.

Darko's worth about $2-2.5 million a year
Nene's worth about $6-8 million a year

Pacerized
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Nene doesn't make 12 mil, he's due to make 11.3 mil this season. If he were a free agent this past summer he would have drawn more then this, because solid big men get overpaid.
You can't compare salary to production symmetrically.
There are a lot of players that produce half the stats that Kobe does but Kobe makes a lot more the twice what these players do. As production doubles you can at least quadruple salary. Rookie contracts excluded of course, in which case you may be paying 8 times as much for the same production from a vet.

pacer4ever
09-25-2010, 08:46 PM

YA HUGE DIFFERNCE ALSO IS DREW GOODEN WORTH 6M PER YEAR?? my point is someone will always panic and overpay. just like what the hawks did with JJ

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Nene doesn't make 12 mil, he's due to make 11.3 mil this season. If he were a free agent this past summer he would have drawn more then this, because solid big men get overpaid.
You can't compare salary to production symmetrically.
There are a lot of players that produce half the stats that Kobe does but Kobe makes a lot more the twice what these players do. As production doubles you can at least quadruple salary. Rookie contracts excluded of course, in which case you may be paying 8 times as much for the same production from a vet.

We're referring to his player option that he will surely pick up, which will pay him nearly $12 million. There isn't a chance in hell that Nene would draw more than $12 million per season if he was a free agent this summer. David Lee was a 20/10 guy and only got $13 Million per season on his new deal.

pacer4ever
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
We're referring to his player option that he will surely pick up, which will pay him nearly $12 million. There isn't a chance in hell that Nene would draw more than $12 million per season if he was a free agent this summer. David Lee was a 20/10 guy and only got $13 Million per season on his new deal.

13m is near max money for a free agent who signs with another team. Also it will increase annually rudy gay signed for the same deal Dlee did and it was max money. (i understand that it was a sign and trade so technically could of added another year. )

Kemo
09-25-2010, 08:53 PM
LOL I dunno why , but i thought of this song while reading this thread.. lmao!!

hahah prally the "Here comes Johnnie" line roflmao

I am so going to hell for that ..

warning.. a few cuss words in the song.. so be wary if at work or around children..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4NKYn4A3mg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X4NKYn4A3mg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>