PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees to be profiled on "60 Minutes" 9/26

Basketball Fan
09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2010/09/drew_brees_profile_set_to_prem.html

Drew Brees profile set to premiere on CBS '60 minutes'
Published: Friday, September 24, 2010, 5:00 AM Updated: Friday, September 24, 2010, 8:25 AM
Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune
Follow
Share this story
Story tools

Jeremy Shockey's haircut last season is all you need to know about his sense of humor.
drew brees 60 minutes.JPGCOURTESY OF CBSNew Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and CBS newsman Steve Kroft walk down Bourbon Street during an interview airing Sunday on '60 Minutes.'

So No. 88 was the first option for Steve Kroft when the "60 Minutes" correspondent came to town to profile Drew Brees.
473Share

"It's kind of boring to find somebody who doesn't have that many faults, " Kroft said in a telephone interview earlier this week. "We said, 'We're looking for dirt.' He said, 'He's a bad drunk.'"

Kroft made two reporting trips to New Orleans for the story, scheduled to air Sunday, one in the spring, another early this season.

In addition to Shockey, he interviewed Sean Payton, Mitch Landrieu, Jonathan Vilma, Brittany Brees and Ava Lee, principal of Samuel J. Green Charter School, site of an Edible Schoolyard project funded by the Brees Dream Foundation.

The dirt from which, Shockey's joshing aside, is the only dirt Kroft found on Brees.

"I have followed his career since he was at Purdue, since I'm from Indiana, and have always read almost everything about him, " Kroft said. "He's an amazing character."

A character, Kroft said, many football fans beyond the sprawling Who Dat Nation are still getting to know.

"He's a very unlikely character, " Kroft said. "You hardly ever see a picture of him without his helmet on. It's not like he's Peyton Manning or Brett Favre yet. In the public circle, people are just getting to know him.

"There are some things I didn't know about him. I didn't know that his injury was a serious as it was, the (shoulder) injury suffered in San Diego. I think people try to keep that quiet, agents, general managers, teams. I didn't understand the chance the Saints took when they got him, and how well he's responded. Much quicker than anybody thought he would."

Kroft also was surprised to learn how self-critical Brees can be.

"He's really hard on himself, " Kroft said. "That was the one thing that everybody told us. We did this thing after practice one day where he was throwing at the goal post, about 30 yards away. He thought he could hit it two out of five times, and he ended up only hitting it one time out of five. He was so (mad). I said, 'I don't want you to lose any sleep over this.' He said, 'I know, but I will.'"

Sunday launches the 43rd season of "60 Minutes" and a new add-on: The website www.60MinutesOvertime.com, which will house archival material as well as reporting trimmed from the CBS broadcast. Starting Sunday, the site will feature additional material about Brees, specifically a segment described in CBS publicity materials as "Brees explaining the art of practice."

"It's just a great sports story, " Kroft said. "At a time when you've got former and current NFL superstars serving time and suspensions for really egregious behavior, and in some cases criminal behavior, this story of Brees and New Orleans (says) it's not all bad."

Trader Joe
09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Jiminy crickets...

We get it, the Saints won the Super Bowl last year...Give me a break...

When can we expect the Hollywood Movie documenting their Cinderella story?

Lord Helmet
09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Eh, we're just bitter Colts fans. Eh.

Mr_Smith
09-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Jiminy crickets...

If they get to the superbowl this season, everybody will say "Win it for the oil spill!!!!" SMH

Basketball Fan
09-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Jiminy crickets...

Geez I never thought of a movie about this... yeah I think I'll skip that one.