PDA

View Full Version : Nets moving closer to deal for Anthony

Hicks
09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-netsanthony092410
Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports

The New Jersey Nets are working feverishly to acquire All-Star Carmelo Anthony(notes) and are in the construction stage of a complicated, multi-team trade, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Nothing is imminent in the next 24 hours, but Denver and New Jersey are having ongoing discussions centered on No. 3 overall pick Derrick Favors(notes) and future first-round picks going back to the Nuggets. The two teams are engaging third – and possibly even fourth teams – to complete what one front-office source described as a “very complicated” deal.

One league executive said the Nets believe they’re “getting there” on a trade for Anthony.

The Nets want to get a deal done before Anthony reports to training camp in Denver next week because league officials think the Nuggets will start working to convince him to stay.

The Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks have been Anthony’s preferred contenders, but he’s grown more comfortable with the idea of signing an extension with the Nets, league sources said. Denver refuses to do a deal with the Bulls that doesn’t include center Joakim Noah(notes), and so far Bulls officials have refused to put him into any deal.

Anthony has refused to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nuggets and has made it clear to team officials he’s not comfortable with the franchise’s stability. There’s unrest within the organization, where George Karl’s top assistant, Tim Grgurich, has left, league sources said. Grgurich has told friends he’s angry about the franchise’s refusal to retain former general manager Mark Warkentien. Karl is now without his two most trusted confidants in the organization, Warkentien and Grgurich.

Forward Kenyon Martin(notes) and guards J.R. Smith(notes) and Arron Afflalo(notes) will be free agents after this season and center Nene could join them if he opts out of the final year of his contract. Point guard Chauncey Billups(notes) also could hit the market because the Nuggets are obligated to pay only $3.7 million of his $14.2 million salary for 2011-12 if he’s waived at the end of the season.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the Nuggets, Anthony would like to be traded before the season starts.

Anyone else think we might try to be a part of this? We could try using our '11 1st or an expiring contract to help facilitate this deal to get some piece we're interested in.

BPump33
09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
As long as that piece isn't re-acquiring Troy Murphy then let's see what we can do.

Trophy
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
For Troy's sake I hope he stays in NJ.

Hicks
09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Sounds like we're not involved (at the moment?) :

Tweeted from Mark Stein:

Just filed to ESPN.com: Nuggets in "serious" discussions on four-way trade w/New Jersey, Utah and Charlotte that would make Melo a Net

Proposed deal, according to sources, would bring Derrick Favors, Andrei Kirilenko and multiple first-rounders to DEN for Melo. Link on way

Other contracts would surely be added to make such a deal work but current proposal also would send Devin Harris to CHA and Diaw to UTAH

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Looking over both teams rosters, I'm having trouble finding someone other than some young guys. If there is a 4th team (saying the Pacers are the 3rd), I guess it could be anyone.

Taking Lopez, Devin Harris, & Billups out of the scenarios.

I like TWill from NJ, maybe Damion James, but not for a future 1st rounder with James.

There's basically no one on Denver I'd want ahead of what we have now, unless you want Ty Lawson to battle DC2, which I really don't see any sense in that. Kmart is a big 16 million expiring contract, but I don't want him in any way.

Nothing works for me, unless I'm missing something. At least no one I'd give a 1st rounder for, unless it's for TWill (a wing).

Hicks
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
That's a nice win for Charlotte if they can turn Diaw into Harris.

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
TJ Ford is better than Devin Harris.

Get me MJ on the phone.

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Whats in it for Utah? Diaw doesn't seem like much.

Plus is Melo in NJ with only Lopez left, really any better than being in Denver?

Doddage
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Kmart is a big 16 million expiring contract, but I don't want him in any way.
I don't know; if there was a way that we could consolidate a couple guys we don't really need like Ford and Dunleavy for K-Mart, I'd do that. He's an expiring contract, would bring some good defense at PF when healthy, and would free up a roster spot.

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know; if there was a way that we could consolidate a couple guys we don't really need like Ford and Dunleavy for K-Mart, I'd do that. He's an expiring contract, would bring some good defense at PF when healthy, and would free up a roster spot.

Agreed. I just assumed the Pacers first rounder would be that main part, that I wouldn't do.

Kstat
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Curious who they plan to replace Harris with at PG.

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Get me Billy King on the phone.

Does anyone here know Russian?

BornReady
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM

gotta be Ford :D

Doddage
09-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. It can't just be Diaw since his and AK's salaries don't match, and none of the teams involved are sufficiently under the cap to enable a straight up swap of the two.

thunderbird1245
09-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Too bad we can't figure out a way to get involved....I'd love to get Derrick Favors somehow.

This deal works for us just playing around:

Indiana trades Dahntay Jones, Lance Stephenson, 2011 #1 to Denver
Indiana gets: Derrick Favors

Denver trades Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey
Denver trades JR Smith to Atlanta
Denver gets: Dahntay Jones, Lance Stephenson, Indiana 2011 1st round pick, New Jerseys 1st round pick in 2011, Josh Smith, and Jamal Crawford

New Jersey trades Derrick Favors to Indiana
New Jersey trades 3 million in cash to Denver
New Jersey trades 2013 1st round pick, Devin Harris and Kris Humphries to Atlanta
New Jersey gets: Carmelo Anthony

Atlanta trades Josh Smith and Jamal Crawford to Denver
Atlanta gets: 2013 1st round pick from New Jersey, JR Smith, Devin Harris, and Kris Humphries

I through this together in 5 minutes. What that tells you is that there are scenarios for a 4 way deal that make sense for New Jersey and Denver around the league, whether it be this quick one I just made up or a million others.

TBird

Kstat
09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Jones, Stephenson and a draft pick?

You'd be willing to give up that king's ransom for Derrick Favors? You sure you wouldn't ask for Carmelo to even the trade out?

Doddage
09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd love to get Favors too, but there's just no plausible way we can unless we surrender Granger. If it takes a Carmelo Anthony type of return for them to trade a top 3 pick in Favors, then it's at least going to take Granger to do the same.

thunderbird1245
09-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Jones, Stephenson and a draft pick?

You'd be willing to give up that king's ransom for Derrick Favors? You sure you wouldn't ask for Carmelo to even the trade out?

Dahntay Jones is nothing.

I don't trust Lance Stephenson, though I do like his talent.

Yes, I'd include a first rounder to get Derrick Favors, who projects to be EXACTLY the type of "player x" this core group of players needs....a player who is big enough to play C with Hansbrough, and mobile enough to play along side Hibbert at the "4" spot.

Granted, Favors isn't really ready to be an immediate star....and I'd have some sort of lottery protection of some kind on the draft pick to counter balance that.

But it is irrevelant probably, because we won't be involved it looks like, at least in this form.

Tbird

Kstat
09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
It's irrelevant because it's a totally one-sided idea. This trade wouldn't be taken seriously in NBA Live.

CableKC
09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I'd think that Carmelo would be weary of going to a Team that had no PG nor a legit PF ( or whatever you would classify Murphy as ).

If Murphy and Favors was gone....but they keep Devin....their team would be made up of Devin/TWill/Carmelo/Brook/Morrow/Farmar/Outlaw and some combination of Joe Smith/Johan Petro/Kris Humphries.

Honestly, I'd think that if Murphy had to go....I'd try think that the Nuggets would just go all in and figure out a way to get Nene as well...heck...even KMart is a good Front court addition.

Outside of Kenyon Martin....I wouldn't mind trying to add Nene to our Frontcourt. I know that he's expensive...but he'd add some serious size into the Frontcourt next to Hibbert.

Speed
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Chauncey, JR Smith, Kmart, Nene

or

Farmar, TWill, Murphy, Lopez

I mean, I'd just wait to be a free agent, honestly. Even probably losing out on some money in the process. I like JayZ too, but come on. :)

vnzla81
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I would like Nene, come on Larry make the deal ;)

pacer4ever
09-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Too bad we can't figure out a way to get involved....I'd love to get Derrick Favors somehow.

Denver gets: Dahntay Jones, Lance Stephenson, Indiana 2011 1st round pick, New Jerseys 1st round pick in 2011, Josh Smith, and Jamal Crawford

New Jersey trades 2013 1st round pick, Devin Harris and Kris Humphries to Atlanta

Atlanta gets: 2013 1st round pick from New Jersey, JR Smith, Devin Harris, and Kris Humphries

I through this together in 5 minutes. What that tells you is that there are scenarios for a 4 way deal that make sense for New Jersey and Denver around the league, whether it be this quick one I just made up or a million others.

TBird

LOL THE WOULD HANG UP ON BIRD AND START LOL FOR 5 MINS. THEN PROBLLY NEVER TAKE ANOTHER TRADE CALL FROM LARRY EVER AGAIN..

pacer4ever
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I would like Nene, come on Larry make the deal ;)

but he can opt out after this year i woulnt give much 4 him unless he will resign

Tom White
09-24-2010, 02:09 PM
If I'm New Jersey, I've got to think twice about acquiring a guy who has refused Denver's three year offer of OVER $20 MILLION PER YEAR.

You gotta wonder about a guy who turns down that kind of money. Maybe he is just jealous that the media spotlight has avoided shining on him and focused on the Miami acquisitions instead? I don't know, I just know he is not going to lead NJ anywhere.

Kstat
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
He probably turned it down because he simply didn't want to be there anymore.

spreedom
09-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Melo's game, as I feel he is too inefficient a scorer to carry a team to a championship (and isn't really good at anything else) but the Nets get better with this trade as Stein proposes. However, who the hell is going to play PG for them? Jordan Farmar and his 1.8apg? The overall success of this deal would be contingent on a second trade that "nets" them a legit PG.

Psyren
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Even though we aren't mentioned in this, I really hope we find a way to get involved. This is a prime opportunity to land another good piece to the puzzle.

Speed
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
If this trade doesn't go through, which I have doubts that Melo will sign an extension to NJ. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver gets in 'final offer' stages with everyone. Maybe then NY gets back in the mix (or other teams) and the Pacers can get involved.

Good thing is at this point in Pacers history, we finally have some cards to even be at the table.

CableKC
09-24-2010, 02:26 PM
but he can opt out after this year i woulnt give much 4 him unless he will resign
I could live with Nene for a 1 year rental if it just cost us an Expiring Contract....which is the only thing that I would want to offer the Nuggets ( who would be in rebuilding mode and would likely do a Salary dump ). I don't see him opting out after 1 year for 11 mil given the uncertainty with the looming CBA.

Even if he stays...he's a solid PF/C "stop gap" PF/C option for the next 2 years.

Justin Tyme
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM

TBird

Denver wants a young player of the future, expiring contract, and picks. Your trade proposal only gives them 1 out of the 3. Your trade proposal doesn't meet Denvers criteria. Basically, Denver wants what they gave to Philly for Iverson. Besides, why would Denver want Dahntay Jones back? Stephenson isn't going to cut it as the young player for Denever either.

The Pacers would be better off just trading for Melo. They have all 3 of the ingredients to get it done, but Melo isn't about to re-sign with the Pacers if he got traded to them.

Melo is a player I'd be willing to trade Granger for. I know many will balk at that suggestion, but I'd be willing to do it. Even w/o having to trade Granger, the Pacers have enough assets to satisfy Denvers wants. The problem is getting Melo to sign an extension to stay with the Pacers.

thunderbird1245
09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Denver wants a young player of the future, expiring contract, and picks. Your trade proposal only gives them 1 out of the 3. Your trade proposal doesn't meet Denvers criteria. Basically, Denver wants what they gave to Philly for Iverson. Besides, why would Denver want Dahntay Jones back? Stephenson isn't going to cut it as the young player for Denever either.

The Pacers would be better off just trading for Melo. They have all 3 of the ingredients to get it done, but Melo isn't about to re-sign with the Pacers if he got traded to them.

Melo is a player I'd be willing to trade Granger for. I know many will balk at that suggestion, but I'd be willing to do it. Even w/o having to trade Granger, the Pacers have enough assets to satisfy Denvers wants. The problem is getting Melo to sign an extension to stay with the Pacers.

Look people, I was just throwing a scenario out there with little thought, just to show that us getting involved somehow wasn't completely out of the question, and also to make the point that Derrick Favors is the exact type of player (position of need that is hard to fill, high upside, rookie contract, etc) that I'd be willing to trade a #1 pick for.

Not that I want to keep arguing the point, but Josh Smith is a pretty damn good player, alot more exciting to watch than Andre Kirilenko ever will be for a Nuggets fan.....to me Smith plus Stephenson plus Jones plus multiple picks is pretty close in value to what is being offered now in the current "real" deal that may take place.

Tbird

Kstat
09-24-2010, 02:42 PM
A couple of role players and a future #1 for the #3 pick and first big man off the board in this year's draft is not realistic. It just isn't. Come on, now. At least attempt to make a decent offer.

Shade
09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
The Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks have been Anthony’s preferred contenders, but he’s grown more comfortable with the idea of signing an extension with the Nets, league sources said. Denver refuses to do a deal with the Bulls that doesn’t include center Joakim Noah(notes), and so far Bulls officials have refused to put him into any deal.

LOL @ the Bulls. At some point you have to stop treading water and either sink or swim. Trading Noah for Carmelo is a no-brainer.

Trader Joe
09-24-2010, 02:45 PM
LOL THE WOULD HANG UP ON BIRD AND START LOL FOR 5 MINS. THEN PROBLLY NEVER TAKE ANOTHER TRADE CALL FROM LARRY EVER AGAIN..

My eyes...

flox
09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Plus is Melo in NJ with only Lopez left, really any better than being in Denver?

Chauncey, JR Smith, Kmart, Nene

or

Farmar, TWill, Murphy, Lopez

I mean, I'd just wait to be a free agent, honestly. Even probably losing out on some money in the process. I like JayZ too, but come on. :)
Are you kidding? Lopez and Murphy are better then K Mart and Nene, and T Will is their point guard. They also have outlaw and the big market of brooklyn. I see no reason for Carmelo not to be ecstatic over the deal. Especially since with Avery you have to assume he will be featured like Dirk was.

Utah saves 8 million dollars this year by trading for Diaw.

T Will or Farmer.

Look people, I was just throwing a scenario out there with little thought, just to show that us getting involved somehow wasn't completely out of the question, and also to make the point that Derrick Favors is the exact type of player (position of need that is hard to fill, high upside, rookie contract, etc) that I'd be willing to trade a #1 pick for.

Not that I want to keep arguing the point, but Josh Smith is a pretty damn good player, alot more exciting to watch than Andre Kirilenko ever will be for a Nuggets fan.....to me Smith plus Stephenson plus Jones plus multiple picks is pretty close in value to what is being offered now in the current "real" deal that may take place.

Tbird

Stephenson would be like another JR Smith for them, and why would they take back Jones when they traded him away for the first place? And why does Josh Smith have such a low value in this trade? Hawks get killed in this deal- anyway- they lose their starting four and the sixth man of the year for a backup 2, a staring one that they might not need with JJ resigned, and a backup five?

Shade
09-24-2010, 02:48 PM
As for the proposed trade, Favors and Harris might be a little bit much to give up for Carmelo, considering they have no legit replacement for the latter.

And why would Carmelo want to go to a gutted team that was already the worst in the NBA last season?

The smart thing for Melo to do at this point would be to play out this season in Denver, then sign with a non-gutted Knicks or Bulls next season. I hope he doesn't, though.

Kstat
09-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I forgot about Jordan Farmar. he's a starting caliber PG. They can survive with him.

C: Lopez
PF: Murphy
SF: Anthony
SG: Outlaw or Morrow
PG: Farmar

That's a playoff team right there, with room for improvement.

Speed
09-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Are you kidding? Lopez and Murphy are better then K Mart and Nene, and T Will is their point guard. They also have outlaw and the big market of brooklyn. I see no reason for Carmelo not to be ecstatic over the deal. Especially since with Avery you have to assume he will be featured like Dirk was.

Can TWill play PG, if so, this year? He had a bunch of TOs against summer league. It's quite a bit to ask.

As for Melo's supporting cast, nope not kidding, I don't see the Nets group as an upgrade across the board, at all.

Murphy/Lopez vs Kmart/Nene is pretty close, actually. I'd give the offensive advantage to the Nets players, but the Nugget group is much much better defensively. Now Lopez is the best player in that group, clearly, so that does make a difference.

Also, Chauncey Billups is pretty good, much better than Farmar.

So ya, I don't think if you plug in Melo on that Nets team (minus D Harris) you are ANY better than pluggin him into the Nuggets team.

Stability of the future and front office is another matter, though it sounds like.

MyFavMartin
09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
If this trade doesn't go through, which I have doubts that Melo will sign an extension to NJ. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver gets in 'final offer' stages with everyone. Maybe then NY gets back in the mix (or other teams) and the Pacers can get involved.

Good thing is at this point in Pacers history, we finally have some cards to even be at the table.

Stein reports that New Jersey only does this trade if Melo signs an extension.

naptownmenace
09-24-2010, 03:00 PM

If NJ offers him a 5-year max deal instead of the 3-year deal that Denver offered, that would be a good reason to move on. Plus the owner is rich and willing to spend money on future free agents while Denver is looking at probably rebuilding after this season.

I was wondering how in the world NJ could be the front runner in getting Melo and now I can see why. They probably don't want to give up multiple 1st rounders and this is why they need other teams to step in and get involved.

BPump33
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ More @Al_Iannazzone: Nets would send J. Hayes to CHA w/Harris & Q-Ross to UTA. As predicted by @johnhollinger, Nets would also get Augustin

Augustin vs. Farmar for starting PG. Who starts?

Kstat
09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Farmar. Augustin hasn't proven squat.

BoomBaby33
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ More @Al_Iannazzone: Nets would send J. Hayes to CHA w/Harris & Q-Ross to UTA. As predicted by @johnhollinger, Nets would also get Augustin

Augustin vs. Farmer for starting PG. Who starts?

Maybe this opens up the TJ to CHA for Nazr trade again.

JB24
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Damn. Goodbye playoffs if this is true.

Speed
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
So basically this makes two teams in the East stronger, ya.....

naptownmenace
09-24-2010, 03:16 PM
So basically this makes two teams in the East stronger, ya.....

I'd love to somehow get Melo but know that's a pipe dream. The disappointing thing is that Indy seems to be on the outside looking in when it comes to this deal. :sigh:

CableKC
09-24-2010, 03:17 PM

The best offer that I can see them send the Nuggets is a willingness to take on both Carmelo and Nene ( if that is possible ) while sending them Wilson Chandler and/or Danillo along with Eddy Curry's Expiring contract. I mean...what other assets so they have?

Do the Knicks even have any Draft picks left?

Didn't they send their next draft pick out to the Rockets?

I just find it troubling to figure out what assets the Knicks have that would entice the Nuggets.

CableKC
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Augustin vs. Farmar for starting PG. Who starts?
I'm confused....I'd think that the Harris would go to CHA.

Kstat
09-24-2010, 03:21 PM
the Knicks' next two 1st rounders are spoken for. Houston has their 1st one year and the right to switch 1sts with them the next.

They have no assets at all left to trade except for Gallinari.

Smoothdave1
09-24-2010, 03:22 PM
The most plausible scenario would be something like:

Den sends: Melo to Nets, Balkman to Utah
Den receives: Kirilenko, Favors, a few 1st rd picks

Utah sends: Kirilenko to Nuggets
Utah receives: Diaw, Balkman, Quentin Ross

Charlotte sends: Diaw to Jazz, Nazr to Indy, picks
Charlotte receives: Devin Harris, Humphries, Solo Jones

Nets sends: Favors, Harris, Humphries, 1st rd pick(s)
Nets receive: Melo and filler?

Pacers send: Ford to Nets, Solo Jones to Bobcats
Pacers receive: Nazr

Fillers, picks, etc. could all be added to tweak the deal.

Trophy
09-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Hopefully the Bulls can somehow slip in and get Melo since we know they'll be good anyway.

The Nets and Knicks are questionable if they'll make the playoffs and if the Bobcats get Devin Harris, that almost guarantees them to land at least 5th.

This can leave teams out like us and the Bucks.

If this deal goes down, I won't let it kill my thoughts of making the playoffs. So hopefully nothing gets done and Melo stays in the West.

BornReady
09-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm confused....I'd think that the Harris would go to CHA.

yea what does Charlotte get out of it?

Speed
09-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Devin Harris for Diaw and Augustine, I believe. Pretty good deal, I think.

JB24
09-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Harris and Hayes go to Charlotte.

Smoothdave1
09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Looks like it would be:

Den sends: Melo for Favors, Kirilenko and picks
Cha sends: Diaw & Augustin and maybe a pick for Harris
Jazz send Kirilenko for Diaw & filler
Nets send: Favors, Harris & picks for Melo & Augustin

CableKC
09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
the Knicks' next two 1st rounders are spoken for. Houston has their 1st one year and the right to switch 1sts with them the next.

That's what I was thinking......DW essentially gutted the Team's ability to improve in the long run in hopes of wooing Lebron.

Dece
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Man, a little rough on Tbird there... look at what Memphis got back for Gasol, it's not a for sure thing that you're going to wrack up equal value or better on your star that can't get you over the hump.

BornReady
09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Man, a little rough on Tbird there... look at what Memphis got back for Gasol, it's not a for sure thing that you're going to wrack up equal value or better on your star that can't get you over the hump.

to be fair, I think Memphis ended up with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol in exchange for Pau Gasol? At the time it seemed terribad, but I think its justifiable now.

CableKC
09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Looks like it would be:

Den sends: Melo for Favors, Kirilenko and picks
Cha sends: Diaw & Augustin and maybe a pick for Harris
Jazz send Kirilenko for Diaw & filler
Nets send: Favors, Harris & picks for Melo & Augustin
I guess a Farmar/Augustin PG rotation isn't that bad....but nothing to really write home about.

Farmar/TWill/Outlaw/Carmelo/Murphy/Brook/Augustin/Morrow/JoeSmith with room to grow through FA sounds okay...I guess :shrug:

Dece
09-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Yea, it was Zach and a 1st who ended up being Marc Gasol, I believe -- and I agree, I think it worked great for them, they are a franchise with a lot of nice young talent now, but at the time everyone thought it was terrible and couldn't believe it. You just never know how that first will turn out, is the point I guess.

pacer4ever
09-24-2010, 05:53 PM

and anothny randolph but the nuggets dont want ethier of them

Justin Tyme
09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
why would they take back Jones when they traded him away for the first place?

Denver never traded away Dahntay. They chose not to re-sign him as a FA, and the Pacers signed him as a FA.

JB24
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/24803276

They're speculating that a fifth team may need to be involved, because the Cats are hesitant on giving up Augustin (Diaw and DJ for Harris is a great deal imo, but whatever) and the Nets desperately want a point guard out of the deal. Man, i hope we get in on this.

ZepZach
09-25-2010, 01:21 PM

They're speculating that a fifth team may need to be involved, because the Cats are hesitant on giving up Augustin (Diaw and DJ for Harris is a great deal imo, but whatever) and the Nets desperately want a point guard out of the deal. Man, i hope we get in on this.

T.J. Ford for who????? Hmmmm

vnzla81
09-25-2010, 01:25 PM
T.J. Ford for who????? Hmmmm

Neńe? :D

Chuck Chillout
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM

First thought is that the Bobcats make it awfully tough to complete any kind of deal. May not actually be the case in this instance, but is there a FO in recent memory that has bailed on deals at the last minute more than the Bobcats'?

Kstat
09-25-2010, 02:12 PM
This just sounds like Jordan wanting to squeeze everything he can out of NJ's desire to acquire Carmelo Anthony.

xBulletproof
09-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Sweet, the Bobcats are going to waffle on a deal until they screw it up for someone else this time.

It's not just us.

CableKC
09-25-2010, 03:42 PM

Yeah...no kidding. MJ should just ask Bird how easy it is to get a Starting Quality PG.

Unless Augustin is Starting quality PG that the Bobcats believe he can be.....it is 10 times easier to find a backup PG then it is to find a Starting quality one.

BornReady
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
http://twitter.com/samickAOL/status/25535913819

Good will is fading fast between Denver and everyone else in this deal. NJ, Charlotte ,and Utah not thrilled with how it's being handled.

I lol'd when Charlotte was mentioned as part of the "not being thrilled" with how it's being handled.

Edit: this is in response to this http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69277/20100925/nuggets_waver_trade_partners_stir/#

The Nuggets are wavering on accepting a proposed trade for Carmelo Anthony and it could lead to the deal unraveling.

"Good will is fading fast between Denver and everyone else in this deal," writes Sam Amick. "NJ, Charlotte, and Utah not thrilled with how it's being handled."

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69277/20100925/nuggets_waver_trade_partners_stir/##ixzz10aaoe6tf

Psyren
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
http://twitter.com/samickAOL/status/25535913819

Good will is fading fast between Denver and everyone else in this deal. NJ, Charlotte ,and Utah not thrilled with how it's being handled.

I lol'd when Charlotte was mentioned as part of the "not being thrilled" with how it's being handled.

Edit: this is in response to this http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69277/20100925/nuggets_waver_trade_partners_stir/#

The Nuggets are wavering on accepting a proposed trade for Carmelo Anthony and it could lead to the deal unraveling.

"Good will is fading fast between Denver and everyone else in this deal," writes Sam Amick. "NJ, Charlotte, and Utah not thrilled with how it's being handled."

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69277/20100925/nuggets_waver_trade_partners_stir/##ixzz10aaoe6tf

lol @ the nuggets. They won't find a better deal than this one.

Basketball Fan
09-25-2010, 08:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-bryantanthony092510

Kobe advises ‘Melo to carefully weigh decision
Marc J. Spears

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports 35 minutes ago

retweet
* Email
* Print

Kobe Bryant told Carmelo Anthony to be sure he's leaving for a better situation than Denver.
(Getty Images)

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – As Carmelo Anthony(notes) has debated his future with the Denver Nuggets, he’s sought advice from a player who was in a similar position three years ago.

Kobe Bryant(notes) demanded a trade in the summer of 2007 before the Los Angeles Lakers appeased him by trading for Pau Gasol(notes) midway through the season. Anthony has pushed the Nuggets for a trade this summer, and the team is weighing sending him to the New Jersey Nets. The Nets first want assurances Anthony will sign a contract extension with them before they do the deal.
More From Marc J. Spears

* Bynum could be out until late November Sep 25, 2010
* Chinese team still wants to sign Iverson Sep 24, 2010

Bryant’s advice to ‘Melo?

Don’t leave just to leave.

“We’ll see if he signs a reasonable extension and if he’s 100 percent happy that it’s where he wants to go,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports Saturday. “If not, don’t make a move just to get out of the situation. …Make sure it’s a move that you’re very happy in and you’re comfortable with.”

Bryant said he talked with Anthony “a couple days ago” and understood how a move to the Nets would be appealing because of the team’s talented young center, Brook Lopez(notes), and new Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov. The Nets have rebuilt themselves after winning a league-low 12 games last season while the Nuggets lost in the first round of the playoffs one year after falling to Bryant’s Lakers in the Western Conference finals.

“I’m closer to him than anyone else from my Olympic team,” Bryant said. “My advice is to do what he feels is right for him and his family. It starts there. He has to be happy with the situation that he is in because if your heart isn’t where it should be, it could have a half-*** effect. You don’t want that. You can’t please everybody. You just have to do what’s right for you.”

Heisenberg
09-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Just a small little blurb from Fanhouse's Sam Amick with no details, but encouraging

No key figure is growing more impatient than Nets general manager Billy King, who is determined to get the deal done by Monday and unclear on why new Denver general manager Masai Ujiri is fielding calls from teams like Cleveland and Indiana that are attempting to get involved in the trade.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/25/denvers-delay-in-carmelo-anthony-talks-threatening-deal/

pacer4ever
09-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Devin Harris and get rid of diaw to me thats a hell of a trade

2minutes twowa
09-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Just a small little blurb from Fanhouse's Sam Amick with no details, but encouraging

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/09/25/denvers-delay-in-carmelo-anthony-talks-threatening-deal/

I would just be happy with them making room for Magnum to sign. Send out 2 guys and get one guy or picks in return.

2minutes twowa
09-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Our expiring contracts could really allow us to jump into this thing! If a team is rebuilding, the only things they want are young talent, picks or cash money!

Kstat
09-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Denver doesn't have any really bad long-term contracts left. Al Harrington is there, but can't be traded for a while

2minutes twowa
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Denver doesn't have any really bad long-term contracts left. Al Harrington is there, but can't be traded for a while

Damn! Al would be perfect for us!

Shade
09-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't see this deal happening as-is. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all of them think they're Chef Ramsay.

Kstat
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM
It's going to happen when the teams involved realize they can't really go back.

Psyren
09-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I just have a strange feeling that we'll have a deal with the Pacers tomorrow.

I've been wrong before, so then again, whatever :p

PacerGuy
09-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't see this deal happening as-is. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all of them think they're Chef Ramsay.

:censored:
F*** that you A**-H*** M*****-F*****, you don't know S*** about basketball nor how to properly cook a proper risotto, now go p***-off!!!

:devil:

vnzla81
09-25-2010, 11:19 PM

I wonder what are the pacers trying to do? Who do they want from either one of those teams? Nene is the only thing Denver has, New Jersey only has Murphy(we don't want him back) Utah has Millsap and Charlotte has Diaw, I can only think about power forwards I don't think the pacers are looking for more wins or point guards

Sookie
09-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I wonder what are the pacers trying to do? Who do they want from either one of those teams? Nene is the only thing Denver has, New Jersey only has Murphy(we don't want him back) Utah has Millsap and Charlotte has Diaw, I can only think about power forwards I don't think the pacers are looking for more wins or point guards

Perhaps they're just trying to get rid of Ford..for anything..

CableKC
09-26-2010, 01:47 AM
The only way the Pacers are getting involved would be the same way that the Jazz were....basically sending in an Expiring Contract much like AK-47 was being sent to Denver. We'd be the proverbial "grease" that helps get the "Melo" train to NJ.

I don't see what type of assets that we can get back in exchange for some combo of Dunleavy/Ford/Foster :shrug: I'd hope that we'd get more then Diaw out of it.

Lance George
09-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd be happy if we could ship out Ford and a secondary expiring to bring in Andrei Kirilenko. He's not only one of those versatile 6'9" guys Bird seems to like, he's someone who's proven he can be an impact player if used correctly.

wintermute
09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
The Nuggets are deep in luxury tax. If they're trading away Melo, cutting their tax bill certainly becomes a priority. That's where the Pacers could come in. We can save the Nuggets some tax money by taking back more salary in a trade. Example, Ford and Foster for Kenyon Martin. The incentive for us is getting a stop gap big while clearing a roster spot. I'd rather we end up with Nene, but I think the Nuggets want to keep him.

Speed
09-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Hoopshype, I know, but still an interesting concept.

http://twitter.com/teamziller/status/25534839161

"Seriously, if Billy King kills this deal because the Nugs take too long to decide between Kirilenko & Jeff Foster, that would be really sad."

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Here is another one

@CSheridanESPN Source tells me re C.Anthony trade, everyone waiting on Nuggets, not Melo. Nothing expected to go down tonight. Sunday looks like key day. about 14 hours ago

Kstat
09-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Assuming they haven't gone off the deep end, they're probably just waiting until tonight to sign off on the deal, seeing as how the trade can't officially happen until Monday morning anyhow.

This isn't generally how business is done, though. I know the GM is new, but he's going to burn some bridges if he lolly gags his way out of this.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Hoopshype, I know, but still an interesting concept.

http://twitter.com/teamziller/status/25534839161

"Seriously, if Billy King kills this deal because the Nugs take too long to decide between Kirilenko & Jeff Foster, that would be really sad."

Who is this guy tweeting? I don't think salary's work w/o Kirilenko do they? Plus the Jazz were going to take Diaw... Pacers wouldn't want Diaw would they?

vnzla81
09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Who is this guy tweeting? I don't think salary's work w/o Kirilenko do they? Plus the Jazz were going to take Diaw... Pacers wouldn't want Diaw would they?

why no? he is a good player a bit underrated if you ask me.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 01:38 PM
why no? he is a good player a bit underrated if you ask me.

I don't know. I don't think he's a bad player, but I figured that with the needs of both teams, a Ford for Diaw trade would have been easy to make?

I'm also worried about Diaw's work ethic. He looked overweight during the FIBA World Championships. I guess he would be OK for the 1 year?

Heisenberg
09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Diaw's got a player option for 2011/12 @ $9mm. And he's really fat now. Do not want.

pwee31
09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Diaw's got a player option for 2011/12 @ $9mm. And he's really fat now. Do not want.

Didn't know about player option, thought it was expiring deal. I agree he's fat