PDA

View Full Version : AJ Price is also ready for training camp

Hicks
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Lost in the excitement over Tyler, Mike Wells also tweeted today that AJ Price is ahead of schedule and will be ready next week:

A.J. Price (knee surgery) will be ready for the start of training camp with no mandatory team limitations on how long he can practice.

:)

Talk about a resilient guy. So many comebacks.

Psyren
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Good for AJ. I love the idea of him as DC's backup :dance:

vnzla81
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Too many good news in one day, what is next JOB got fired? :ohyeah:

SMosley21
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
As long as DC lives up to expectations and AJ is completely healthy and performs like he did when given minutes last season, we have one of the best young PG duos in the NBA.

Never thought I'd be saying that.

vnzla81
09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
here is another one of his tweets

Word is Lance Stephenson has been very impressive offensively during pick-up games at Conseco. His defense, however, has been another story.

ChristianDudley
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah I think A.J. will be a great backup PG to have behind DC. I'm very glad he's back and has recovered well.

Sookie
09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Lost in the excitement over Tyler, Mike Wells also tweeted today that AJ Price is ahead of schedule and will be ready next week:

:)

Talk about a resilient guy. So many comebacks.

Glad he's back, I figured he would be :P

But can he go like, three years before another incredibly uncommon injury takes him out for a few months. ;) It'd be nice if he actually got to use an off season to do something other than rehab.

O'Bird
09-23-2010, 05:49 PM
here is another one of his tweets

"Word is Lance Stephenson has been very impressive offensively during pick-up games at Conseco. His defense, however, has been another story."

Mike Wells' basketball evals should always be taken with a grain of salt; and add an extra grain if he's talking about defense. Having said that, he's probably right. Lance was only in college for a year, even though it was Cincinnati, where he probably got at least a clue about D.

But I think that he'll get there; he's got the lower body of a good defender - strong grounding and quick foot movement. He's also super-competitive and has a nasty streak (that he should confine to the basketball court), which is a defensive asset as well.

graphic-er
09-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Remember when like a handful of people actually believed AJ was gonna be future starter. Good times.

judicata
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Remember when like a handful of people actually believed AJ was gonna be future starter. Good times.

With no DC trade and no injury, I would have given him even odds of starting this season. The jury is still out. I am still high on the man.

ksuttonjr76
09-24-2010, 12:26 AM
I'll be surprised if Ford makes it to opening night.

MLB007
09-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Mike Wells' basketball evals should always be taken with a grain of salt; and add an extra grain if he's talking about defense. Having said that, he's probably right. Lance was only in college for a year, even though it was Cincinnati, where he probably got at least a clue about D.

But I think that he'll get there; he's got the lower body of a good defender - strong grounding and quick foot movement. He's also super-competitive and has a nasty streak (that he should confine to the basketball court), which is a defensive asset as well.

Too slow

imawhat
09-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Not shocked at all that AJ's ready to go. He looked very far along in his rehab from the summer video.

This is one occasion where a lot of credit goes to AJ, the doctors, and our training staff....really great work.

Pacers4Life
09-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Yeaea... And if you could just go ahead and be ready by training camp... Ahead of schedule...

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/1017_3.jpg

That'd be Greeeaaat.
Good effing news man, this is going to be an interesting year.

RamBo_Lamar
09-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Big Kudos to AJ - this kid had alot of heart. Hope he can stay injury free and have a
good season.

Speed
09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
It's almost impossible to believe he has his mind back to being comfortable with his body and the injury, but I guess it's not like he hasn't been down this road before.

BPump33
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
From Brandon's twitter:

Juice was on my head last year about that brace. Now he has to wear it http://plixi.com/p/46849531

Roy looks lean and mean. I can't wait for this season to start.

Eleazar
09-24-2010, 11:01 AM

I still believe that AJ will challenge Collison for the starting position. Although I think it is highly unlikely that AJ will start over Collison for political reasons, unless AJ just destroys Collison which I don't see happening.

Trader Joe
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
I still believe that AJ will challenge Collison for the starting position. Although I think it is highly unlikely that AJ will start over Collison for political reasons, unless AJ just destroys Collison which I don't see happening.

:laugh:

If AJ Price challenges Collison for the starting job, we're either totally screwed or completely loaded at the PG position.

Hicks
09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I doubt AJ will seriously challenge him for the starting role.

If he does, either AJ's better than I thought he was, or Collison is worse.

90'sNBARocked
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM

or were in serious troubble

nerveghost
09-24-2010, 01:57 PM
I find it funny that Roy appears to be tweeting in that picture.

Sookie
09-24-2010, 06:30 PM

I really don't know why people think there is such a big difference between the two.

AJ was considered better in college when he was healthy. (Junior year)
AJ was considered better when they were both playing backup minutes.

Collison got an opportunity that AJ didn't. I think a lot of the PG's drafted to years ago were really good, all of them having "good starter" potential. Although they are different types of points, who fit different types of systems.

So essentially, I think Collison has been overrated here. I could be wrong, and I'll fully admit it if I am. But I think people got really excited about the (excellent) stats, and didn't fully look at the context. It's also very silly to underestimate AJ.

pacers74
09-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Sookie,

I honestly don't think Collison has been overrated at all by us. He averaged 18.6 pts, 9 ast, and 1.4 steals per game as a starter. That is all-star numbers. Only Rondo averaged more ast at 9.8 in the east and Rondo only averaged 13.7 pts per game. Collisn is going to be a all out stud.
If Price is that good I will be very happy, as we will have to all-star calliber PGs, but I think he is more along the line of a good backup PG. I am not trying to mean that a good backup PG is a bad thing either. I think he is better than anyone we have had since Tinsley played up to his potential.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I find it funny that Roy appears to be tweeting in that picture.

...or doing one of about a million other things one could do with a cell phone.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I really don't know why people think there is such a big difference between the two.

Collison got an opportunity that AJ didn't. I think a lot of the PG's drafted to years ago were really good, all of them having "good starter" potential. Although they are different types of points, who fit different types of systems.

So essentially, I think Collison has been overrated here. I could be wrong, and I'll fully admit it if I am. But I think people got really excited about the (excellent) stats, and didn't fully look at the context. It's also very silly to underestimate AJ.

Games that Price played 25 minutes or more...

5 games
25.8 minutes per game
12.2 points per game
2.8 assists per game
0.8 steals per game

Speed
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
The way it seems the organization is sticking with Lance, if he can defend even decently, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the b/u PG by allstar break, assuming he's not in jail of course.

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 03:58 PM
The way it seems the organization is sticking with Lance, if he can defend even decently, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the b/u PG by allstar break, assuming he's not in jail of course.

I see Lance splitting time at the PG/SG spots.

Sookie
09-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Games that Price played 25 minutes or more...

5 games
25.8 minutes per game
12.2 points per game
2.8 assists per game
0.8 steals per game

AJ never got over 30 Minutes. So to even it out, but still have significant numbers, how about statistics from 20-30 MPG

AJ
22.7 MPG
12.2 PPG
2.8 APG
.8 spg
1.5 TO
(I guess those three minutes didn't make a difference:laugh:)

Darren
23.5 mpg
10.2 ppg
3.4 apg
.8 spg
1.8 TO

First, I really think this is a fair comparison of stats. You really can't go by per minute (they are about even there too) because when someone has had significantly less minutes, that comparison is skewed in their favor. On the other side, saying something like "twenty minutes or more" is not fair, as AJ's high for minutes is 28, Collison has played almost the entire games before, skews that stats. Between 20 and 30 minutes works because it's unlikely this was garbage time minutes, it's a significant number of minutes, but it evens out the "extra stuff." Collison had 11 games, Price had 20. I would have liked more for Collison but still, I think this is as fair as you're gonna get.

..They look pretty much the same to me. It's almost exactly the same ATO rate as well. I think you could even go farther and saying that the systems they were playing in even contributed more to the barely there difference..as in Colllison's system the ball is in his hands more..it runs through him..so you get more assists and more turnovers. With the Pacers, JOB likes quick shots, threes..he's more likely to keep a player in the game if they are scoring..so Price scores more. I thought they were close, but I was shocked at just HOW close the numbers actually were.

Essentially, Collison got an opportunity that AJ didn't. And Collison put up fantastic stats in that opportunity. But in a fair comparison, they aren't that much different. In fact I think it'd be really hard to argue that one was better than the other, either way. But I also think, with these numbers..that for rookie PGs, they are pretty good numbers, and suggest that those two will be pretty good players. (and because I keep saying that I think, really, the second tier PGs drafted, aka not Tyreke, Jennings, and possibly Curry, were about the same. That'd include Maynor, and Ty Lawson..and a few more I'm forgetting. :P)

SMosley21
09-25-2010, 05:58 PM
AJ never got over 30 Minutes. So to even it out, but still have significant numbers, how about statistics from 20-30 MPG

AJ
22.7 MPG
12.2 PPG
2.8 APG
.8 spg
1.5 TO
(I guess those three minutes didn't make a difference:laugh:)

Darren
23.5 mpg
10.2 ppg
3.4 apg
.8 spg
1.8 TO

First, I really think this is a fair comparison of stats. You really can't go by per minute (they are about even there too) because when someone has had significantly less minutes, that comparison is skewed in their favor. On the other side, saying something like "twenty minutes or more" is not fair, as AJ's high for minutes is 28, Collison has played almost the entire games before, skews that stats. Between 20 and 30 minutes works because it's unlikely this was garbage time minutes, it's a significant number of minutes, but it evens out the "extra stuff." Collison had 11 games, Price had 20. I would have liked more for Collison but still, I think this is as fair as you're gonna get.

..They look pretty much the same to me. It's almost exactly the same ATO rate as well. I think you could even go farther and saying that the systems they were playing in even contributed more to the barely there difference..as in Colllison's system the ball is in his hands more..it runs through him..so you get more assists and more turnovers. With the Pacers, JOB likes quick shots, threes..he's more likely to keep a player in the game if they are scoring..so Price scores more. I thought they were close, but I was shocked at just HOW close the numbers actually were.

Essentially, Collison got an opportunity that AJ didn't. And Collison put up fantastic stats in that opportunity. But in a fair comparison, they aren't that much different. In fact I think it'd be really hard to argue that one was better than the other, either way. But I also think, with these numbers..that for rookie PGs, they are pretty good numbers, and suggest that those two will be pretty good players. (and because I keep saying that I think, really, the second tier PGs drafted, aka not Tyreke, Jennings, and possibly Curry, were about the same. That'd include Maynor, and Ty Lawson..and a few more I'm forgetting. :P)

Breaking it down even further, games which they each played UNDER 20 minutes...

AJ Price (36 games)
19 minutes per game
4.7 points per game
1.3 assists per game

Darren Collison (27 games)
11 minutes per game
3.7 points per game
1.8 assists per game

MLB007
09-26-2010, 12:46 AM

Well that and that nasty problem getting the ball up the court. :rolleyes:

MLB007
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I see Lance splitting time at the PG/SG spots.

Yeh, we need all the 25% shooters we can get playing SG. :buddies:

2minutes twowa
09-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Darren has a much better jump shot, 3 point % and speed with the ball. AJ is good, but Darren has a chance to be great, that's the difference to me. TJ better pray that he's traded or bought out cause it's looking more and more like he's gonna spend the whole year on the injured list with "back spasms":D

Kemo
09-26-2010, 03:37 AM

LOL WTH are you talkin bout? :buddies:

You been hangin out with Brandon ain't ya? lol -->MLB http://m.pimpmyspace.org/pimp/1/fc/fca795844e67be46a1e2.gif <---Brandon

lol/j/p I jest ,, I jest....

heh surely you forgot the green font eh?

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/players/lance_stephenson/index.html

Orlando Summer League Stats:

Jul 08 @ BOS 8min fg. 1 - 2 3p 0 - 1 ft 2 - 2
Jul 07 @ UTA 29min fg. 6 - 8 3p 0 - 0 ft 7 - 10
Jul 06 @ NJN 25 min fg. 7- 10 3p 0 - 0 ft 1 - 1
Jul 05 @ ORL 30 min fg. 8- 10 3p 0 - 0 ft 5 - 8

Psyren
09-26-2010, 04:59 AM
Obviously we need to see him play against real NBA competition, but Lance is not mean to shoot jumpers all game.

He was utilized poorly in college. His game is largely dependent on going to the rim, where he shoots a very high percentage.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here Sookie. DC was more highly regarded than Price through out all of their college careers. The biggest reason for this was because Collison is infinitely more athletic than Price ever was.

Sookie
09-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Darren has a much better jump shot, 3 point % and speed with the ball. AJ is good, but Darren has a chance to be great, that's the difference to me. TJ better pray that he's traded or bought out cause it's looking more and more like he's gonna spend the whole year on the injured list with "back spasms":D

AJ's a better shooter (particularly off the dribble, seeing as Collison rarely does that), Collison's a better penetrator. (Which was truly one of the most impressive things about him. I felt he finished pretty well around the rim, which is hard for someone so little to do.) Collison is (well was, we'll see now..different system) hesitant to take three pointers. And in fact players often defended him like they defend Rondo. Which was silly, because despite the fact that he was hesitant, if he was wide open he seemed like he'd make them. (But essentially, last season, Collison played 76 games and made 46 three pointers. AJ played 56 games and made 60 three pointers. Yes, Collison had the better percentage, but AJ is clearly more comfortable in taking them.)

As for AJ's mentality, I have a feeling he'll go back to how he played his senior year, which was much more jump shot and perimeter oriented (he even prefered to pass from the perimeter) than going to the basket. His junior year was more the opposite, and I thought last season he was getting more comfortable at going to the basket again. I don't know if he'll react differently than he did the first time he injured his knee. (Where at first he clearly didn't trust it) and that might take a while.

An article pointed out that with Collison likely starting and Price likely being backup, we'll have the youngest PG rotation in the league. I like Collison. I like what he brings to the team, especially personality/chemistry wise. He's got a bit of a bite to him..without being obnoxious. And he's energetic and fiesty. But I don't think he'll be a "star." I think him, along with about five other PGs drafted at the same time (Price, Lawson, Maynor, Flynn..there's so many I forget some of them sometimes) all have the potential to end up pretty good starters. And if Collison doesn't come here and put up those fantastic numbers, he's not necessarily a bust.

edit: Collison wasn't the year (there was only one...) when AJ was completely healthy. Collison averaged 14.5 PPG and 3.8 assists with a 1.6 ATO, where Price had 14.5 PPG 6APG with a 2.6 ATO. (And actually, AJ's stats were about the same their senior seasons too) They each were on different All American lists, but AJ's Junior year he was pretty clearly (and by most accounts to those who had seen him) a top PG in the country. It is really hard to compare time periods with AJ, because of the rollar coaster that was his college career. But the year he played well he was actually one of the top guards in the country. Regardless, unfortunatly for AJ college doesn't make a difference, as he's not that pre-torn ACL player any longer (he was getting back to that...then...he broke his kneecap) But my point was, until Collison got his opportunity to play 47 minutes a game per night, there had never been a time where he was considered to be better. AJ was forgotten plenty, because of his weird situation, but anyone who had seen him that year went "oh..wow.." Still, yes, Collison is more athletic. I don't think that's the biggest deal with PGs though.

Hicks
09-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Also, isn't Darren Collison supposed to pretty fast or quick, which AJ is not?

At the forum party, Seth made DC sound like a TJ Ford who could finish, shoot, and play better D. If that's true, that sounds like a better player than AJ to me (though I'm wondering about his ability to distribute the ball with that comparison).

Sookie
09-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Also, isn't Darren Collison supposed to pretty fast or quick, which AJ is not?

At the forum party, Seth made DC sound like a TJ Ford who could finish, shoot, and play better D. If that's true, that sounds like a better player than AJ to me (though I'm wondering about his ability to distribute the ball with that comparison).

Collison's quicker. You saw Price last season, he's certainly above average in that area. He's not the most athletic guy in the world. But once again average.

I don't know that I'd insult Darren with a TJ comparison though. :P

But essentially, I really think "better" will come down to what kind of system you are running. AJ can do, pretty much anything a coach wants him to do, and he's not going to look bad doing it. You want him to score more, he can do that easily, you want him to distribute more, he can do that too. Pick in rolls, half court, full court..doesn't matter, AJ is comfortable in whatever system you'd like to play him in. He does have his preference (half court and PnRs) but he can play anyway a coach likes. That being said, he doesn't really excell in an area. He's just above average in anything.

Collison on the other hand is more specialized. He prefers the full court, PnR situation. And although he can make jump shots, he's clearly not comfortable and would much rather drive to the basket. Collison's not going to be comfortable in any offense you want him to run. But there will be offenses that he absolutely excells in.

And that's essentially, IMO, the difference. And really it depends on whatever your preference is, because there's advantages to having either. I'm obviously a fan of AJ, but I'm a fan for a reason. Besides the incredible resiliancy, the glimpse I saw his junior season was of a special PG. If he could only avoid the freak injuries and return to form.

I could obviously be wrong (I don't think so though :P) And AJ is a bit more risky because who knows if his body is going to cooperate, but regardless this is a good thing. Two young "good" PGs are on the roster. Regardless of whose "right" the Pacers are in a good situation.

MLB007
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Breaking it down even further, games which they each played UNDER 20 minutes...

AJ Price (36 games)
19 minutes per game
4.7 points per game
1.3 assists per game

Darren Collison (27 games)
11 minutes per game
3.7 points per game
1.8 assists per game

You can't just ignore the fact that Collison DID bust out. Big time.
MAYBE AJ does that given the opportunity.
Maybe he doesn't.
Darren already has.
Big advantage Collison.

Just because they both came in the same time and put up comparable numbers before breaking through doesn't mean their ceilings are the same.
AJ is very solid IMO, just not sure he has that extra "thing" that makes some guys stars versus rotation players.
Collison has shown that he can have that type of impact.

(I like AJ a lot)

Sookie
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
You can't just ignore the fact that Collison DID bust out. Big time.
MAYBE AJ does that given the opportunity.
Maybe he doesn't.
Darren already has.
Big advantage Collison.

Just because they both came in the same time and put up comparable numbers before breaking through doesn't mean their ceilings are the same.
AJ is very solid IMO, just not sure he has that extra "thing" that makes some guys stars versus rotation players.
Collison has shown that he can have that type of impact.

(I like AJ a lot)

And that's fair. Collison has put up big numbers. But as I said, AJ didn't get that opportunity. And whose to know, really. But my point is Collison hasn't proven he's better than AJ, he's proven he's a capable starter. AJ hasn't had that opportunity.

I just don't think he's a "star." I think he's got the "good starter" ceiling. Which is what I feel AJ has.

And I don't think it's fair to expect Collison to be a star, particularly right away. He's young, he's gonna look really bad at times. He's a second year player and he may not have the ceiling that some people think he has, never mind expecting him to do it right away.

I think Collison should be the starter anyway, but once AJ's completely healthy and mentally back to normal, what's wrong with letting them compete for minutes? (Granted, Jimmy might be thinking about starting them both...)

Allright, I'm done..I can be like a rabid dog with a steak at times. :P

xBulletproof
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know how you can claim AJ Price is a better shooter than Collison. He may shoot more, but he doesn't shoot better.

In college here are the career numbers

AJ - 40% FG, 36% 3-Pt, 72% FT

Collison - 47% FG, 43% 3-Pt, 85% FT

Those numbers held true in the NBA as well. Per 36 AJ Price shot more often, but shot a lesser percentage from everywhere.

Collison is clearly more selective, but to me that's part of being a good shooter. Taking shots you can make.

Trader Joe
09-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Collison can pound the ball like TJ does from time to time, but he also has the ability to cash the check off the dribble and put the ball in the hole on a consistent basis which Ford does not. Also Collison was a better passer last year than Ford ever was.

Let's not forget also that Ford was a very good young PG for the Bucks before that injury that completely changed the trajectory of his career.

Sookie
09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't know how you can claim AJ Price is a better shooter than Collison. He may shoot more, but he doesn't shoot better.

In college here are the career numbers

AJ - 40% FG, 36% 3-Pt, 72% FT

Collison - 47% FG, 43% 3-Pt, 85% FT

Those numbers held true in the NBA as well. Per 36 AJ Price shot more often, but shot a lesser percentage from everywhere.

Collison is clearly more selective, but to me that's part of being a good shooter. Taking shots you can make.

Here I go again. :laugh:

It's just how you look at things, I think when players take "better defended" shots, as well as shooting more often, their percentage tends to drop.

So when I say "better" shooter, I include things like "being comfortable with" and being able to get a jump shot off the dribble. Type of things. Players wouldn't give AJ the space they gave Collison because he'd shoot it, where as Darren wouldn't. (I'm interested in seeing if that changes this season though.)

I should say though, that AJ's game changed after the ACL tear. Before that, he was much more of a "drive to the basket" and particularly a "mid range" game player. He'd take threes, but not excessively so. After the injury, he changed. His percentages increased every year, but I don't know if it was because he got better, or simply got healthy and used to the college game. (I think it's a combo. He was a better shooter than his first year, but after he tore his ACL I think he had no choice but to work on shooting)
He has a pretty shot, it just needs to be more consistent. I think with Collison, he can make his wide open shot, but he'd much rather penetrate.

xBulletproof
09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
AJ didn't take better defended shots with the Pacers anyway.

He missed a ton of wide open 3's. He was a 3rd string NBA rookie PG. He wasn't a priority and still wasn't making shots. I was rather shocked as I had heard he was a very good shooter, but I didn't see it.

As far as shooting off the dribble, I can't say. Never watched either close enough to see that yet.

MLB007
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
In college he shot LESS than 25% on shots outside the paint.
That's pretty awful.
I saw 2 airballs on uncontested 3 pt shots in summer league.
Almost all his points came in the lane as he overpowered smaller pgs.
With no team help to speak of. ;)
That ain't going to happen in the regular season.

LOL WTH are you talkin bout? :buddies:

You been hangin out with Brandon ain't ya? lol -->MLB http://m.pimpmyspace.org/pimp/1/fc/fca795844e67be46a1e2.gif <---Brandon

lol/j/p I jest ,, I jest....

heh surely you forgot the green font eh?

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/players/lance_stephenson/index.html

Orlando Summer League Stats:

Jul 08 @ BOS 8min fg. 1 - 2 3p 0 - 1 ft 2 - 2
Jul 07 @ UTA 29min fg. 6 - 8 3p 0 - 0 ft 7 - 10
Jul 06 @ NJN 25 min fg. 7- 10 3p 0 - 0 ft 1 - 1
Jul 05 @ ORL 30 min fg. 8- 10 3p 0 - 0 ft 5 - 8