PDA

View Full Version : Sixers and Hornets Four Player Trade (Minor)

I Love P
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiuRY.df9GQ5ILs7BIrzUug5nYcB?slug=ys-hornetssixerstrade092210

Craig Brackins and Darrius Songailla for Willie Green and Jason Smith.

Doddage
09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/25313009156

New Orleans has traded Darius Songalia and Craig Brackins to Philly for Willie Green and Jason Smith, league source tells Y!

pacer4ever
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
i like craig brackins game

tora tora
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I like Willie Green's game.

Jose Slaughter
09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I like Darrius Rucker's voice

pacergod2
09-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Brackins is more of a versatile PF. He isn't much for a back to the basket game from what I have heard, but he is a scoring PF that can shoot well and haas great handles for a big. He is a lot of potential. As for the Sixers, they have glut of guards that all do the same thing and their front court players are very similar as well. I think adding Songalia brings more toughness and rebounding and a solid mid range shot. This is all upside for them with brackins though.

I actually really like this move for the Hornets. Willie Green will be terrific off the bench for them as a combo guard. He fits well with both Paul and Thornton. More importantly for the Hornets is that they are getting Jason Smith. He is a legit center with size and solid touch. He would be their only actual center. He had torn his ACL, which set him back, but he is a big body center that the Hornets don't have. I think Smith is the reason that the Hornets made this move. He fits well with both West and Okafor. The Hornets needed a center badly, because neither West or Okafor are true centers.

Personally, I think the Hornets won this trade solely because of the fit. I like Songalia as a bench big and am not as high on Brackins as many others are, but the kid does have potential. I really like Smith's upside for what they need as a true center and Willie Green really helps take pressure off of their second unit for scoring. It's close but I give the edge to NO.

avoidingtheclowns
09-23-2010, 03:01 PM
He would be their only actual center. He had torn his ACL, which set him back, but he is a big body center that the Hornets don't have.

Aaron Gray is curious about your definition of "actual" and "big body".

pacergod2
09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
I didn't realize that he was back with the team. I think that Smith will immediately be a bigger contributor to this team than the team ever planned on Gray being. So yes, he is now the second center after Gray. Also, I think they signed Daryl Watkins out of Syracuse. He is a big body. But we are talking minimum contract guys still. Smith becomes the closest thing they have to a starting center. This team needs size. They basically had three PF's rotating in their front court last year. Gray was only around for 24 games at about 9-10 minutes per game and he was their fourth option. I think this moves Smith right up to first big off the bench and possible starter in certain matchups.

Ozwalt72
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Sixers won this deal. They get some diversity in the prospect of Craig Brackins. I would have loved for the Pacers to wind up with him. He has the ability to be a very good scorer at the 4 (little bit of murphy, a lot of JO offensively...not everyone's cup of tea.) with some athleticism and potential defensively.

I don't like Green. Maybe they get from him what they used to get from Mo Pete. I doubt it. Smith is interesting but probably never will be more than a 3rd big.

CableKC
09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I didn't realize that he was back with the team. I think that Smith will immediately be a bigger contributor to this team than the team ever planned on Gray being. So yes, he is now the second center after Gray. Also, I think they signed Daryl Watkins out of Syracuse. He is a big body. But we are talking minimum contract guys still. Smith becomes the closest thing they have to a starting center. This team needs size. They basically had three PF's rotating in their front court last year. Gray was only around for 24 games at about 9-10 minutes per game and he was their fourth option. I think this moves Smith right up to first big off the bench and possible starter in certain matchups.
I'm not going to dispute that Smith may become a regular part of the PF/C rotation...but what upside do you see of him that hasn't emerged over the last 3 seasons?

wintermute
09-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Are we talking about the same Jason Smith here? Soft outside shooting big man Jason Smith? He's more of a poor man's Troy Murphy than a true center I would think. But then on the other hand, I thought the same of Channing Frye, and he turned into a decent stretch 5.

I'm not going to dispute that Smith may become a regular part of the PF/C rotation...but what upside do you see of him that hasn't emerged over the last 3 seasons?

Yeah, what Cable said.