PDA

View Full Version : Question about the play clock

vapacersfan
09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
As I type this I have to make two confessions:

1. I am a Notre Dame football fan

2. I had no clue the play clock had expired on said play, and ND deserved to lose the game

With that said, does this explination make sense. As we are moving towards more technological advances, if this is true, surely there has to be a better solution (maybe a device ala a cell phone) that buzzes on the refs hip when the play clock hits 0.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100919/SPORTS13/100919266/1023/SPORTS13

Terry McAulay, coordinator of Big East Conference officiating, defended his seven-man crew in a statement Sunday.

"After review, the conference believes that the game officials correctly applied the proper mechanics and guidelines that are in place to determine, in a consistent manner, when a flag should be thrown for delay of game," McAulay said.

"The responsibility is assigned to the back judge, who, in this situation, was standing beneath the upright," the statement continued. "Proper mechanics dictate that his focus be directed to the play clock as it approaches zero. When the play clock display reads zero, he must re-direct his attention to the ball. At that time, if the snap has not started, a flag will be thrown for delay of game. If the snap has begun, no flag will be thrown.

"Under these procedures, there will always be a small amount of lag time between the time the clock reads zero and the time the back judge is able to see the football.

"On the play in question, this lag time created the situation where it appears the play clock expired just before the snap. We believe the snap occurred well within the normal lag time for the back judge to make this determination.

"This play is not reviewable under current NCAA rules."