PDA

View Full Version : Pacers.com: Hansbrough Hungry for Return

Hicks
09-20-2010, 02:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_100920.html

Conrad Brunner
Pacers.com

It doesn't take a wild imagination to look down the road and see a lineup featuring Darren Collison at the point, Paul George and Danny Granger at the wings and Tyler Hansbrough and Roy Hibbert up front.

In fact, with training camp set to open next week, at least three-fifths of that lineup is pretty well set with Collison, Granger and Hibbert. George may be a year away.

The real wild card in that bunch, of course, is Hansbrough. The 2009 first-round pick has been out since mid-January recovering from an inner ear disorder but appears to be closing in to a return to the court. I sat down with Hansbrough after his morning workout Monday for the following question-and-answer session -- his first since last season.

Q. How close do you feel you are to returning?
A. I feel like I'm in good shape. I'm doing more, increasing my workouts, starting to feel better. I feel like I'm coming around.

Q. What are you able to do now, and what activity is still restricted?
A. Right now I'm doing non-contact, lifting weights, running conditioning, working out with the coaches, individual work.

Q. Do you feel like you're on the verge of a return or, after all you've gone through, are you taking nothing for granted?
A. I feel like we've made so much improvement right now. I feel like I'm coming around, starting to be myself again. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Q. I know I got some interesting e-mails from folks suggesting interesting remedies for your ailment. What was the strangest advice you received?
A. There was a lot. I've talked to a few people who've probably had something similar. But to be honest with you I tried to block everything out because I wasn't too concerned with everything. I trusted my doctors and who I went and saw and feel like we're on the right track and I feel like we've gained a lot of progress.

Q. Do you have a timeline training camp, opening night, etc.?
A. I'm going to see my doctors later this week and we'll get an update and we'll go from there. I'm not going to say I'm not going to be out there and I'm not going to say I'm going to be out there right now.

Q. Considering how healthy you've been throughout your career, how difficult has this condition been to contend with?
A. This is an adjustment for me. I've never had an injury like this but I feel confident that I'll come through and be on the court again.

Q. The trade of Troy Murphy has created new opportunity at power forward. How do you approach that situation?
A. Murph was a good guy for me to kind of learn under and watch a lot but I feel like there is an opportunity there. Again, I feel like once I get back on the court we'll go from there. I'm not going to change my game up because somebody's gone. I'm just going to play the way I've always played.

Q. At any point in the long road back did you begin to wonder if you'd be able to return?
A. It was very frustrating but at not one point in my mind have I ever imagined not being back. I'm confident as ever I'll be back soon and we'll go from there.

Q. How have you been able to prepare your body for the upcoming season?
A. I feel like I'm in good shape. I've been working out in the weightroom, running, doing conditioning drills, running on the treadmill, going up and down the court, just non-contact. It's been pretty much everything except scrimmaging.

Q. Considering you are a player that thrives on contact, it must be tough to be in "non-contact" status.
A. Once I start taking contact, I'll feel very happy.

Q. You played just 29 games last season so in many ways this could be like a second rookie season for you. On the other hand, don't you feel much more prepared than a year ago?
A. I feel more prepared than I was last year just because I was able to sit back and watch and learn the system and adjust to the city. It won't just be like I'm a rookie again. Yeah, I'm going to have to learn a lot just like anybody else that's been out for awhile.

Q. I'm not sure what the best word is here. How anxious, eater, ready, hungry are you to get back out there?
A. I'll guarantee you there's no one as hungry as me to get back on the court. I've been out for awhile. It's what I love to do and I can't wait to get back out on the court.

Trophy
09-20-2010, 02:39 PM
There's not very many interviews with Tyler. It's good to hear from him on what's been up.

duke dynamite
09-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Hot dog.

Unclebuck
09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
There's not very many interviews with Tyler. It's good to hear from him on what's been up.

Yeah contrary to the way he plays, he is very quiet and seemingly shy in interviews.

dal9
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Q. I'm not sure what the best word is here. How anxious, eater, ready, hungry are you to get back out there?
A. I'll guarantee you there's no one as hungry as me to get back on the court. I've been out for awhile. It's what I love to do and I can't wait to get back out on the court.

LoL Brunner must have typed this before his lunch break...

Also, someone is going to bring this up, so it might as well be me:

It looks like he actually hasn't been going full contact, despite what was said in the other thread.

The guy's situation, based on my reading of the interview, is pretty dicey. That is, he seems pretty cautious about how he is doing healthwise

Hicks
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
LoL Brunner must have typed this before his lunch break...

Also, someone is going to bring this up, so it might as well be me:

It looks like he actually hasn't been going full contact, despite what was said in the other thread.

The guy's situation, based on my reading of the interview, is pretty dicey. That is, he seems pretty cautious about how he is doing healthwise

It leaves me wondering, but I still think Peck's source wouldn't have said what he did unless it was true. This could be everyone involved agreeing to preach the same message to the public, again, for legal purposes or otherwise some other technical reason.

Justin Tyme
09-20-2010, 03:34 PM

That was my exact thought after reading this. From what he's saying, he's been doing no full contact playing/practicing. I'm not truly convinced Hansbro is going to make the recovery this year many feel he will. I really hope he does, but I'm not counting on it. My opinion still is the Pacers need to acquire a starting PF, like Jason Thompson, and the sooner the better. JMOAA

El Pacero
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
It leaves me wondering, but I still think Peck's source wouldn't have said what he did unless it was true. This could be everyone involved agreeing to preach the same message to the public, again, for legal purposes or otherwise some other technical reason.

Where did I hear that he was playing some contact basketball, but it was away from the Pacers where they didn't have any control of it?

Brad8888
09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Looks like Tyler is up for whatever they let him do but isn't actually physically ready. Notice he doesn't come out and say that all he is doing is waiting on the doctors to tell him to play and that he is ready to go whenever he gets the green light, and that he tends to speak as if he is looking forward to a time he might get back as opposed to having a hope that he is going to be cleared.

To me, at least, it appears that he is / has been attempting to retrain his brain to compensate for the new reality of his vertigo, with a decent amount of success.

Hicks
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Where did I hear that he was playing some contact basketball, but it was away from the Pacers where they didn't have any control of it?

I don't know, but that sounds about right.

MLB007
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Looks like Tyler is up for whatever they let him do but isn't actually physically ready. Notice he doesn't come out and say that all he is doing is waiting on the doctors to tell him to play and that he is ready to go whenever he gets the green light, and that he tends to speak as if he is looking forward to a time he might get back as opposed to having a hope that he is going to be cleared.

To me, at least, it appears that he is / has been attempting to retrain his brain to compensate for the new reality of his vertigo, with a decent amount of success.

I had the same take on it.
Less than i had hoped for :o

MLB007
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
And what's up with PG's "he's back" tweet????

graphic-er
09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
So it really pisses me off that there is still a aura of mystery to his condition is and what he can and can't do now. I wish Bruno would have just asked him, can you run? Can you Jump? Can you dive on the floor with no ill effects? Have you taken any contact at all recently and had a set back? I would think that at some point they would have tested his ability to take contact on the floor. I bet this kid has PCS, and knew he had it before he was drafted. Didn't tell the Pacers about it, and kept his mouth shut during the physicals. I bet if admits to having it then the Pacers could probably void his contract due to not disclosing known medial issues. Dude is on thin ice and just hanging around long enough to collect the remainder of the rookie contract that is guaranteed.

Since86
09-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Federal law pisses you off? He's not dealing with a sprained ankle, this is something that has the potential to effect his quality of life. Sorry, my first response is that I hope he's okay, on a human level. Basketball is down the list after that.

It's not our right to know how he feels. He has the right to privacy.

In the end it's just basketball. He doesn't get his situation corrected he could have problems for the rest of his life, long after he puts on a Pacer jersey.

vnzla81
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
So it really pisses me off that there is still a aura of mystery to his condition is and what he can and can't do now. I wish Bruno would have just asked him, can you run? Can you Jump? Can you dive on the floor with no ill effects? Have you taken any contact at all recently and had a set back? I would think that at some point they would have tested his ability to take contact on the floor. I bet this kid has PCS, and knew he had it before he was drafted. Didn't tell the Pacers about it, and kept his mouth shut during the physicals. I bet if admits to having it then the Pacers could probably void his contract due to not disclosing known medial issues. Dude is on thin ice and just hanging around long enough to collect the remainder of the rookie contract that is guaranteed.

I'm sorry but I rather wait for Hans to get healthy than draft your boy Hayward

graphic-er
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Asking the kid if he can jump or sprint down the court, dive on the ground, and asking him what physical activities he has tried this summer is not asking him to divulge the nature of his condition.

At this moment I hope we trade him away if he displays even some level of success this season. Can't take a chance that he'll get a head cold and be out the remainder of the season

Ozwalt72
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
At this moment I hope we trade him away if he displays even some level of success this season. Can't take a chance that he'll get a head cold and be out the remainder of the season

Because you don't know **** about the situation (and neither do I) I guess you can think that way. But if the team doesn't make an effort at getting rid of him they have an honest expectation that he won't be facing such an exaggerated consequence for bull**** reasons.

imawhat
09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Crossing my fingers for Tyler. It sounds like he needs it.

McKeyFan
09-20-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know about you, but the entire interview seemed kind of vague and non-commital to me.

Maybe I'll be there for the first game, maybe I won't.

Maybe the docs will give the thumbs up, maybe they won't.

Maybe I'm not doing contact scrimmaging (Maybe I am, ask Peck's source.)

Nothing about that interview made me feel good about him returning soon and in good health.

Hicks
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, at least we're fast approaching the time once again where actions will tell the story regardless of what words we're given to read. Let's see if he participates in training camp, and if so, whether he does everything the other players do or not.

Then let's see if he plays in the preseason.

Those two things will tell a lot more than anything we're getting right now.

graphic-er
09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry but I rather wait for Hans to get healthy than draft your boy Hayward

What was the point of that? You are ridiculous with your Hayward bashing when it comes to me.

vnzla81
09-20-2010, 04:48 PM
What was the point of that? You are ridiculous with your Hayward bashing when it comes to me.

More ridiculous than post #13
I bet this kid has PCS, and knew he had it before he was drafted. Didn't tell the Pacers about it, and kept his mouth shut during the physicals. I bet if admits to having it then the Pacers could probably void his contract due to not disclosing known medial issues. Dude is on thin ice and just hanging around long enough to collect the remainder of the rookie contract that is guaranteed.

or #16

Nothing is more ridiculous than this statements.

90'sNBARocked
09-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Q. The trade of Troy Murphy has created new opportunity at power forward. How do you approach that situation?
A. Murph was a good guy for me to kind of learn under and watch a lot but I feel like there is an opportunity there. Again, I feel like once I get back on the court we'll go from there. I'm not going to change my game up because somebody's gone. I'm just going to play the way I've always played.

Loved the bolded partt!!

Did you hear that Mr O'Brien? He will play HIS game, which means a tradtional PF,

The only "stretch" will be his hamstrings

graphic-er
09-20-2010, 04:53 PM
More ridiculous than post #13 and #16 impossible.

Asking a player objective questions about what he can and can't do during his recovery is not ridiculous. Nor does it require him to state his illness or ask him to any divulge anything private about his medical condition.

MyFavMartin
09-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Think this whole interview was to address those internet rumors of Tyler playing full contact and to not get our hopes up too high?

naptownmenace
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM
That was my exact thought after reading this. From what he's saying, he's been doing no full contact playing/practicing. I'm not truly convinced Hansbro is going to make the recovery this year many feel he will. I really hope he does, but I'm not counting on it. My opinion still is the Pacers need to acquire a starting PF, like Jason Thompson, and the sooner the better. JMOAA

That sounds like the voice of reason. That Pacers.com interview has a nice rosey title to it but since it doesn't even seem like he's shooting or doing any scrimmaging... Tyler's prospect of playing more than 45 games is not looking good to me. :(

Speed
09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I think Tylers from the school of thought that talk is cheap, I really admire that, actually.

Sookie
09-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Very possible

Tyler's a very very aggressive basketball player. If he's playing, my guess is it would be hard for him to not go all out.

The Pacers may not want him to play like that yet, so he isn't cleared to play for precautionary reasons...but Tyler can play..so he's going to.

cdash
09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I learned absolutely nothing from that interview. Just raised the same questions and regurgitated the same information that we already knew.

odeez
09-20-2010, 07:44 PM
He is saying he is going to see his doctors at the end of the week for an update... makes me wonder what they are checking? I wonder if it is something they can see in some kind of scan or test. What would allow him to start taking contact again?

Regardless, I sure hope he does make it back on the court, he was a lot of fun to watch when he played last year!

Putnam
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
So it really pisses me off that there is still a aura of mystery to his condition is and what he can and can't do now.

Do you understand clearly that you have no right whatever to any information whatever about Hansbrough's health? Because you don't. Not only are the Pacers not obliged to give you any information, they are legally required NOT to tell you anything.

It doesn't matter whether the information is bad or good, whether it would sell tickets or harm ticket sales, or anything else. The HIPAA law says the Pacers mustn't divulge information. Bruno works for the Pacers.

It is something we're going to have to get used to, because we have no right to straight information about an injured player's health, ever.

El Pacero
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Graphic-er maybe been a little POd in his comment, but I would love to run into Hans and ask, "Do you still get dizzy?"

BornReady
09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
guys guys guys its easy!
Clearly, Hansbrough is ready and they're hiding him as a secret weapon so come opening day, they can surprise both fans AND the opposing with a healthy Hansbrough playing 48 minutes and wtfstomping the other PF!

Brad8888
09-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I would love to run into Hans

Please don't do this! We need him healthy, and even what for you may just be a slight bump, with your prodigious women's wrestling champion strength, might cause a concussive force! :D

speakout4
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
He is saying he is going to see his doctors at the end of the week for an update... makes me wonder what they are checking? I wonder if it is something they can see in some kind of scan or test. What would allow him to start taking contact again?

Regardless, I sure hope he does make it back on the court, he was a lot of fun to watch when he played last year!
They are first going to ask him lots of questions regarding whether he still gets dizzy and what might bring it on. Then they are going to do some things that normally could bring on dizziness and see how he reacts. Then decisions to let him play or wait further will be made.

Unclebuck
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Do you understand clearly that you have no right whatever to any information whatever about Hansbrough's health? Because you don't. Not only are the Pacers not obliged to give you any information, they are legally required NOT to tell you anything.

It doesn't matter whether the information is bad or good, whether it would sell tickets or harm ticket sales, or anything else. The HIPAA law says the Pacers mustn't divulge information. Bruno works for the Pacers.

It is something we're going to have to get used to, because we have no right to straight information about an injured player's health, ever.

Thank you. I have been trying to say that for a few years, but you said it better than i ever did

Hicks
09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I agree with both of you, yet this doesn't explain why we got so much information about Mike Dunleavy's situation in comparison to Tyler's.

PacerDude
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
The HIPPA law 'conceals' medical info unless the patient wants it released.

speakout4
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I agree with both of you, yet this doesn't explain why we got so much information about Mike Dunleavy's situation in comparison to Tyler's.
Perhaps because in the case of athletes they waive their right to privacy in their signed contracts and the information is released at the discretion of the team.

Anthem
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I learned absolutely nothing from that interview. Just raised the same questions and regurgitated the same information that we already knew.
I learned something... that if Tyler's actually been playing ball, he's intentionally refusing to acknowledge it.

He seems like a pretty honest guy, so I find it more likely that he's actually not been back on the court. But I could be wrong.

Anthem
09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Do you understand clearly that you have no right whatever to any information whatever about Hansbrough's health?
Absolutely true.

Because you don't.
I'm with ya.

Not only are the Pacers not obliged to give you any information,
Preach it!

they are legally required NOT to tell you anything.
AAAAAAND... ya lost me.

So every other team in the league is breaking the law when they talk about a player's health? And the Pacers broke the law in the past 12 months when they've talked about players like Jeff Foster and Mike Dunleavy?

Come on, Putnam, it doesn't scan. If HIPPA was really an issue, we'd have seen it already. I mean it's not exactly new legislation.

Besides Tyler, how many injured NBA players have you seen shielded under this law?

KennerLeaguer
09-20-2010, 10:49 PM

This is true. Folks can't get angry over the lack of details.

I have a feeling that Tyler is okay and will be ready to go.

DrFife
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM

A year ago, but not lately.

While I remain quietly confident that Hans will (has) return(ed) to full health, Dun-Dun's situation & lack of updated info concerns/disappoints me. In fact, the only thing I can remember reading/hearing about him since season's end is that he (along with TJ) is a likely trading chip. If he's showing progress from last season, he truly may be a valuable trading chip. If not, his value will become just a buffalo chip.

Bball
09-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Your Health Information Is Protected By Federal Law

Most of us believe that our medical and other health information is private and should be protected, and we want to know who has this information. The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information. The Privacy Rule applies to all forms of individuals' protected health information, whether electronic, written, or oral. The Security Rule, a Federal law that protects health information in electronic form, requires entities covered by HIPAA to ensure that electronic protected health information is secure.

Who Must Follow These Laws

We call the entities that must follow the HIPAA regulations covered entities.

Covered entities include:

* Health Plans, including health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, and certain government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare and Medicaid.

* Most Health Care Providers—those that conduct certain business electronically, such as electronically billing your health insurance—including most doctors, clinics, hospitals, psychologists, chiropractors, nursing homes, pharmacies, and dentists.

* Health Care Clearinghouses—entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

Who Is Not Required to Follow These Laws

Many organizations that have health information about you do not have to follow these laws.

Examples of organizations that do not have to follow the Privacy and Security Rules include:

* life insurers,
* employers,
* workers compensation carriers,
* many schools and school districts,
* many state agencies like child protective service agencies,
* many law enforcement agencies,
* many municipal offices.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html

El Pacero
09-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I learned something... that if Tyler's actually been playing ball, he's intentionally refusing to acknowledge it.

He seems like a pretty honest guy, so I find it more likely that he's actually not been back on the court. But I could be wrong.

Hans is a quiet guy that doesn't talk much and is really good at not revealing anything (which I like). Twitter is great, but silence and performance can be better.

DaveP63
09-21-2010, 07:45 AM

And maybe he's soft selling it to keep out of hot water with the powers that be because he's been doing it "off the reservation" or maybe he's trying to keep expectations low, so if there's a setback it's not his fault for going too hard too soon. Or maybe, it's what you think. Let's wait and see what happens. Maybe the Pacers are taking a page out of the Colts playbook and refusing to admit they have a player named Hansbrough, that he was ever drafted, signed, injured or even exists until he's already played in ten games :happydanc

BBQ
09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Your Health Information Is Protected By Federal Law

Most of us believe that our medical and other health information is private and should be protected, and we want to know who has this information. The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information. The Privacy Rule applies to all forms of individuals' protected health information, whether electronic, written, or oral. The Security Rule, a Federal law that protects health information in electronic form, requires entities covered by HIPAA to ensure that electronic protected health information is secure.

We call the entities that must follow the HIPAA regulations covered entities.

Covered entities include:

* Health Plans, including health insurance companies, HMOs, company health plans, and certain government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare and Medicaid.

* Most Health Care Providers—those that conduct certain business electronically, such as electronically billing your health insurance—including most doctors, clinics, hospitals, psychologists, chiropractors, nursing homes, pharmacies, and dentists.

* Health Care Clearinghouses—entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa.

Who Is Not Required to Follow These Laws

Many organizations that have health information about you do not have to follow these laws.

Examples of organizations that do not have to follow the Privacy and Security Rules include:

* life insurers,
* employers,
* workers compensation carriers,
* many schools and school districts,
* many state agencies like child protective service agencies,
* many law enforcement agencies,
* many municipal offices.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html

Beat me to it. HIPAA doesn't apply to employers. However, if your employer also employs your medical staff... I don't think that one is spelled out so clearly.

Putnam
09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks to Anthem, BBall and BBQ. They are right and I misstated the role of HIPAA regarding the Pacers. (My excuse for the error is that I'm starting a new job and and absorbing a whole lot of these kinds of rules. My job is affected by disclosure restrictions stateed in HIPAA, GLBA and FERPA!)

HIPAA is not germane, but the principle still applies. The Pacers are restricted in what they can say about a player's health condition under federal law. There are rules to this effect under the Family and Medical Leave Act, and also under the ADA. The Pacers ARE constrained by law from revealing a medical condition of one of its employees.

In the case of Dunleavy, wasn't it Dunleavy himself who was doing all the disclosing? Pacers team officials could repeat what they had heard Dunleavy say in interviews or what dunleavy had posted in his blog. But did they ever reveal any new information?

johndozark
09-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote: I've been working out in the weightroom, running, doing conditioning drills, running on the treadmill, going up and down the court, just non-contact. It's been pretty much everything except scrimmaging.

I take it that he has been shooting and running non-contact drills.

Unclebuck
09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Beat me to it. HIPAA doesn't apply to employers. However, if your employer also employs your medical staff... I don't think that one is spelled out so clearly.

Ok, maybe it doesn't apply to employers, but I work in a related field, and I can tell you, no employer will reveal an employees medical history. Although really, most employers know very little about an employees medical history, because as you mention mthe medical staff is independent so is the insurance company and they cannot reveal it to the employer.

So a sports team is different

Strummer
09-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote: I've been working out in the weightroom, running, doing conditioning drills, running on the treadmill, going up and down the court, just non-contact. It's been pretty much everything except scrimmaging.

I take it that he has been shooting and running non-contact drills.

Yip. In other words, they're just protecting him against more concussions. Seems like the vertigo problems must be gone. Pretty positive report as far as I'm concerned. And who knows, he might be going against doctors orders on the scrimmaging but just not wanting to admit it publicly. Who out there does everything exactly as their doctor orders? Not me...

BBQ
09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok, maybe it doesn't apply to employers, but I work in a related field, and I can tell you, no employer will reveal an employees medical history. Although really, most employers know very little about an employees medical history, because as you mention mthe medical staff is independent so is the insurance company and they cannot reveal it to the employer.

So a sports team is different

I'm not really trying to convince anyone one way or the other because I don't know the exact restrictions or the legal codes they grow from. I just knew they didn't grow from HIPAA. (Unless they do since some of Tyler's medical staff are employed by his employer) :)

To tie this back to some of the other discussion, my opinion is that we aren't hearing more about Tyler's condition because there isn't much more to tell at this point. I get the feeling this is not an exact science when it comes to these inner ear problems. Before Tyler, I would never have guessed that an inner ear problem could end a professional athlete's season, let alone threaten a career.

I think the most appropriate stance here would be guarded optimism in light of reports that Tyler is doing some running and such. I personally don't want a lot of information coming out one way or the other right now, since, like I said, I don't think this is an exact science.

MyFavMartin
09-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I think to myself while looking at the Rocket's roster, it'd sure be nice to have Patrick Patterson to address our PF situation...

Then I remember TH and wish that he'd be healthy.

graphic-er
09-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I understand HIPAA, doesn't mean I can't be pissed off about the situation. So please take the finger wagging some place else.

Just as others have posted, many times when a player is injured the team releases the injury report on them the next day or after the MRI. With this guy its a cloud of mystery from the team. Perhaps that is on the player's consent to release such info. If thats true then it tells me that he might be hiding something. Like I said, I think he has a history of his, and he didn't' divulge it to the team prior to him being drafted or signing a contract. I bet he is keeping his mouth shut to protect his guaranteed money.

Since86
09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
You tell people to stop the finger wagging, and then go into some theory about Tyler being nothing but a money hungry guy that's only in it looking for a buck.

That's the problem, we (or atleast I) have with your stance. You don't have to, or even need to, know diddly.

Have you ever watched Tyler play? From watching him the first time ever, in HS when he played Oden on National TV, it was pretty damn obvious that the dude just likes to ball.

How many PhD's do you have? Do you REALLY think that a player could hide a medical problem for so long, and not show any signs or sit out any games because of it, and then all of a sudden decide they just want to collect and check and not play?

Seriously? You think he was able to play with vertigo, throughout college, and then decided he didn't want to?

I would rather read that you thought the training staff was inept. As much as I disagree with that belief, I still think it has a lot better chance at being true compared to this one.

graphic-er
09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
You tell people to stop the finger wagging, and then go into some theory about Tyler being nothing but a money hungry guy that's only in it looking for a buck.

That's the problem, we (or atleast I) have with your stance. You don't have to, or even need to, know diddly.

Have you ever watched Tyler play? From watching him the first time ever, in HS when he played Oden on National TV, it was pretty damn obvious that the dude just likes to ball.

How many PhD's do you have? Do you REALLY think that a player could hide a medical problem for so long, and not show any signs or sit out any games because of it, and then all of a sudden decide they just want to collect and check and not play?

Seriously? You think he was able to play with vertigo, throughout college, and then decided he didn't want to?

I would rather read that you thought the training staff was inept. As much as I disagree with that belief, I still think it has a lot better chance at being true compared to this one.

Never said he didn't love playing ball, just speculating that his agent has told him to keep his mouth shut to protect his money.

Its quite possible that he might have had it in college, and it could have been a very mild case at that time. Maybe it comes and goes?

I freely admit its all speculation on my part, but its just as valid any other theory on his condition because we truly do not know his history.

But as I said, I don't doubt his love of basketball, but I just think he has been told to shut up so that he can collect the remainder of his contract with no legal conflict. Until I see him suit up again for the Pacers. I'm just going to assume that his career is likely over at this point.

You know all sorts of players hide injuries during the draft.

Heck did we just find out that Hibbert has asthma? Not saying he knew about it, but it certainly didn't just pop up now that he is in the NBA.

Edit: and if i'm wrong, then i'll be happy, cause i think he has a chance to be really good player for us. The kind that changes the flow of games.

Richard_Skull
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't know much about HIPPA and etc. but the secrecy(sp?) of the situation reminds me of another situation involving another local sports team who had some heavy dude. I think his name was Sorey Cimon, or something like that.

Since86
09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
He would collect his check regardless if he plays another game or not due to injury. His contract is covered by insurance, so if he can't play due to his vertigo, he will get 100% of his contract covered by whatever company the Pacers have their insurance through.

There's no reason why he would cover it up.

If Dajuan Blair never plays another game because of a knee injury, he will get his money, just like Tyler.

And yes, players hide injuries like tendonitis or something like that. I don't think you can "hide" vertigo.

EDIT: And yes, you can develop asthma.

What is Adult Onset Asthma?
Many people develop asthma in childhood. However, asthma symptoms can appear at any time in life. Individuals who develop asthma as adults are said to have adult onset asthma. It is possible to first develop asthma at age 50, 60 or even later in life.
Adult onset asthma may or may not be caused by allergies. Some individuals who had allergies as children or young adults with no asthma symptoms could develop asthma as older adults. Other times, adults become sensitized to everyday substances found in their homes or food and suddenly begin to experience asthma symptoms. About 50 percent of older adults who have asthma are allergic.
http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=17&cont=157

vnzla81
09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't know much about HIPPA and etc. but the secrecy(sp?) of the situation reminds me of another situation involving another local sports team who had some heavy dude. I think his name was Sorey Cimon, or something like that.

Or Mayton Panning or Sob Banders or some like that ;)

graphic-er
09-22-2010, 04:43 PM
He would collect his check regardless if he plays another game or not due to injury. His contract is covered by insurance, so if he can't play due to his vertigo, he will get 100% of his contract covered by whatever company the Pacers have their insurance through.

There's no reason why he would cover it up.

If Dajuan Blair never plays another game because of a knee injury, he will get his money, just like Tyler.

And yes, players hide injuries like tendonitis or something like that. I don't think you can "hide" vertigo.

EDIT: And yes, you can develop asthma.

http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=8&sub=17&cont=157

I'm pretty sure that most teams would look for a way to recoup money or void a contract before claiming it on insurance if a player was found to have with held a medical condition to team doctors. It would be hard to prove of course. I just think there is a certain level of expectation for signing a contract, that expectation is that your are in good health and not hiding or not disclosing a medical issue that could effect your ability to play.

You could certainly hide vertigo if your symptoms were sporadic. Also he apparently went out and scored 19 & 10 after the Boston game where he had his concussion last year, and complained of dizziness. 19 &10 is pretty good for a guy who can't walk straight.

With Blair, everyone knows that he doesn't have any ACLs.

Since86
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
And you have no proof that suggests he withheld a medical condition and all the proof suggesting that it happened by pure bad luck.

That's the problem. You ignore everything that screams he did nothing wrong, and jump to the other side of the equation. Not only that, but you say you're pissed off that the Pacers don't violate federal law and tell you the rest of the story.

And let me ask you this. Have you ever been sick or been injured? Was the degree of the sicknees/injury consistant throughout, or did you have some bad days and some good days?

Just because he was "fine" the day after the supposed hit to his head which caused all of this doesn't mean he was "fine" two days later.

You're suspending logic to fit your thesis. Not everything needs a conspiracy theory. (actually I would agrue that most don't......)

graphic-er
09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
And you have no proof that suggests he withheld a medical condition and all the proof suggesting that it happened by pure bad luck.

That's the problem. You ignore everything that screams he did nothing wrong, and jump to the other side of the equation. Not only that, but you say you're pissed off that the Pacers don't violate federal law and tell you the rest of the story.

And let me ask you this. Have you ever been sick or been injured? Was the degree of the sicknees/injury consistant throughout, or did you have some bad days and some good days?

Just because he was "fine" the day after the supposed hit to his head which caused all of this doesn't mean he was "fine" two days later.

You're suspending logic to fit your thesis. Not everything needs a conspiracy theory. (actually I would agrue that most don't......)

Didn't i already say its all speculation? Geez....take the broom stick out.

xBulletproof
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Geez....take the broom stick out.

Wow, was that really needed?

:potkettle:

Since86
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Didn't i already say its all speculation? Geez....take the broom stick out.

I just think when you start talking about voiding a contract you shouldn't speculate. Because in order to void a contract it would be a case of insurance fraud. I don't think speculating about felonies is something we should get into.

Trader Joe
09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Why not we did it during the entire Lance ordeal? (/sarcasm)