PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Wants 3 on 3 Basketball in the Olympics

Ransom
09-20-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-09-10-2161396478_x.htm

Color me intrigued. Apparently, we'd be looking at half court games of two periods, to either a time limit or 33 points. It'd require a few distinct rules and a whole team selection committee.

Who do you think would actually be up for it? Maybe Lebron/Wade/Bosh could treat it as preseason :P

But seriously, would you be into 3 on 3 basketball played competitively by the best players in the world? I'd love to see the NBA do something like this honestly.

On top of that, how would you pick a team USA 3 on 3 team? Do you go for balance or just the three best players?

My dream 3 on 3:

Lebron, Howard, Kobe,

Alternate: Durant

d_c
09-20-2010, 02:01 AM
I think the US would dominate that even more than the standard 5 on 5 game.

oz_pacer
09-20-2010, 02:25 AM
I think the US would dominate that even more than the standard 5 on 5 game.

alot of teams dont match up to usa at fiba level because they dont have the depth the usa has they may have a two or three really good players but beyond that it flatens out

Kstat
09-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Im embarrased that this is even being considrered....why not have a home run contest too?

d_c
09-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Im embarrased that this is even being considrered....why not have a home run contest too?

Well hey, the Olympics always had volleyball.......then they felt the need to add 2 on two 2 beach volleyball.

d_c
09-20-2010, 04:19 AM
alot of teams dont match up to usa at fiba level because they dont have the depth the usa has they may have a two or three really good players but beyond that it flatens out

That is true. But are you able to have subs for 3 on 3? After all, they give you 7 substitutes for a standard 5 on 5 game. And a big reason we just recently won an international tournament was because our best player was head and shoulders above everyone elses' best player.

And the more you reduce the number of players involved in a game, the more critical and apparent one on one skills become, which give an advantage to the US.

rexnom
09-20-2010, 04:38 AM
Why would anyone be against this? Sign me up. Sounds awesome.

I Love P
09-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Sounds like easy gold to me.

King Tuts Tomb
09-20-2010, 05:13 AM
They have 50 swimming events, why not some more for basketball.

MagicRat
09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Would whoever finishes last get a toilet bowl trophy and shirt?

Trader Joe
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/2010-09-10-2161396478_x.htm

Color me intrigued. Apparently, we'd be looking at half court games of two periods, to either a time limit or 33 points. It'd require a few distinct rules and a whole team selection committee.

Who do you think would actually be up for it? Maybe Lebron/Wade/Bosh could treat it as preseason :P

But seriously, would you be into 3 on 3 basketball played competitively by the best players in the world? I'd love to see the NBA do something like this honestly.

On top of that, how would you pick a team USA 3 on 3 team? Do you go for balance or just the three best players?

My dream 3 on 3:

Lebron, Howard, Kobe,

Alternate: Durant

In terms of dumb ideas,

I'd say this ranks right up there with the XFL.

Trader Joe
09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Who do you send to play in this tournament? The defending Gus Macker champions? Just a monumentally stupid idea.

xtacy
09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
it can be interesting and fun to watch.

my choice for usa would be:

paul(a true guard would be better at halfcourt)
durant
howard

Trader Joe
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Would you guys honestly take 3 of our best players off the dream team and use them in this joke of a competition? First of all I think every NBA team would pretty much ban their players from competing in this. What a waste of time.

When will we implement the dunk contest and three point shootout in Olympic play?

Brad8888
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Hopefully they will layer a skills judging on top of the points scored on the floor to recognize the athleticism of the spectacular dunking over the opposition that would permeate the event.

Wow. Imagine the possibilities for olympic participation that would open up.

Maybe the X Games could be absorbed into the Olympic games, too, so all of those athletes could show off, too. How about the "sport" of parkour, too. That requires a lot of athleticism as well...

Hicks
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd watch.

Will Galen
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree with Hicks, I'd watch.

I'd want countries to be able to send three teams though. That way you could hope for a medal sweep. And I'd want an open tournament before hand so everyone would be eligible, even women. And assuming a 7 man team I'd want at least two women on the team and one of the starters would have to be a woman. Oh, and the team would have to wear the old style short shorts, none of the baggy stuff they wear today. And the men could only play outside the 3 point line, and the women only inside the three point line. And the players would have to wear corsages so the refs would know where they are supposed to play. The men of course would wear blue and the women pink.

On second thought the corsages wouldn't work. They would get knocked off and stepped on and someone could slip and get hurt. Plus basketball sometimes gets rough so the women would be likely to use the pin from the corsages as a weapon. I could see some Spanish gal chasing Lebron with a pin, and he's already embarrassed himself enough on television. No, better would be for the respective sexes to wear their respective sex signs on their uniforms.

Hicks
09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with Hicks, I'd watch.

I'd want countries to be able to send three teams though. That way you could hope for a medal sweep. And I'd want an open tournament before hand so everyone would be eligible, even women. And assuming a 7 man team I'd want at least two women on the team and one of the starters would have to be a woman. Oh, and the team would have to wear the old style short shorts, none of the baggy stuff they wear today. And the men could only play outside the 3 point line, and the women only inside the three point line. And the players would have to wear corsages so the refs would know where they are supposed to play. The men of course would wear blue and the women pink.

On second thought the corsages wouldn't work. They would get knocked off and stepped on and someone could slip and get hurt. Plus basketball sometimes gets rough so the women would be likely to use the pin from the corsages as a weapon. I could see some Spanish gal chasing Lebron with a pin, and he's already embarrassed himself enough on television. No, better would be for the respective sexes to wear their respective sex signs on their uniforms.

:picard:

indyaway
09-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Forget 3 on 3. Make it take it 1 on 1: Hold the trials @ Rucker Park and watch NBA, And1 and every street baller put on a show. USA would walk away with all 3 medals.

joeyd
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I was at the 3-on-3 Hoop-It-Up tournament last year and there was a truck and tent set up where a bunch of folks were promoting the "3BA" which was supposed to be a 3-on-3 league. They were working on getting a team in Indy. I haven't heard anything more about it, but the website 3ba.com has the following info:

3-on-3, Full Court, Professional Basketball
League Play Begins the Summer of 2011 and runs from June through October
Teams in North America and Asia with a true World Championship
9-Minute Quarters and an 18 Second Shot Clock

I would probably watch in the Olympics, but I can't see there being enough support for a league here.