PDA

View Full Version : I realize it could technically drag into the regular season, but otherwise...

Hicks
09-20-2010, 12:39 AM
... given that everyone involved is acting like he'll be a part of the team, is it fast becoming do or die time for the Pacers with regards to Magnum Rolle?

Initially, I was thinking something had to give within the next week because training camp is coming up fast (eight days!). Either a trade has to happen to shorten the roster, or someone has to get cut.

But then I remembered that during the preseason, the roster can actually hold 18 temporarily, so maybe this will still linger for another month?

What do you think?

Sookie
09-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Perhaps they're waiting on an answer about Lance, and currently trying to trade. Probably trying to workout a buyout with TJ incase there isn't a trade..and if not..maybe make a decision between Magnum and Solo in camp?

I think there's still some options there. My guess is they'd like to get rid of TJ somehow first. If Lance is found guilty, they'll have a decision to make there..which will probably amount to Magnum taking Lance's spot. And if no buyout with TJ and Lance is innocent than he just has to beat Solo in camp.

BRushWithDeath
09-20-2010, 01:01 AM
As I said after he was drafted, after the summer league, and again last week, people shouldn't be shocked and dismayed if he doesn't make the team.

If a spot comes open he'll get it. But a spot won't be cleared specifically for him. Nor should it.

Will Galen
09-20-2010, 01:43 AM
As I said after he was drafted, after the summer league, and again last week, people shouldn't be shocked and dismayed if he doesn't make the team.

Disagree!

CableKC
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
... given that everyone involved is acting like he'll be a part of the team, is it fast becoming do or die time for the Pacers with regards to Magnum Rolle?

Initially, I was thinking something had to give within the next week because training camp is coming up fast (eight days!). Either a trade has to happen to shorten the roster, or someone has to get cut.

But then I remembered that during the preseason, the roster can actually hold 18 temporarily, so maybe this will still linger for another month?

What do you think?
Are you able to confirm the date that we must finalize the maximum number of Players on the roster?

Is it before training camp?

Or is there some drop dead date before the start of regular season?

Jose Slaughter
09-20-2010, 03:19 AM
If I remember correctly, teams need to have their 15 player rosters in to the league office either 48 or 72 hours before the start of the season. This gives teams time to grab players off last second waivers.

McKeyFan
09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Disagree!

They SHOULD be shocked and dismayed?

pacers74
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I will be truly dissapointed if he isn't on the roster this season. I know this is a new time with the instant media and twitter getting info out so fast, but he is saying all of the right things and really wants to be here. Put that together with how he played in the summer league, I really hope he makes it.
Dallas and Houston are both trying to get more big man depth, can't we just give them S.Jones, LOL.

mboyle1313
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Crew,

No immediate concerns re: Rolle. It is not uncommon for teams to carry 20 players in camp, and the roster does not need to be pared to 15 until 6 PM the day before the season opener.

I concur with BRushWithDeath. MR is an interesting player, but I wouldn't be shocked or dismayed if he weren't around opening night, either. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

MJB

Strummer
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
If they can't open a spot, they can always ask him to play in Europe for a year. Plenty of roster spots will be available next year. And he'd probably get more minutes in Europe...

EvilleJim
09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Never heard of a team dealing for a 57th draft pick before, must be something to it or the P's wouldnt have taken the chance

Trader Joe
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Can't we just send him to the Mad Antz anyway?

count55
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Can't we just send him to the Mad Antz anyway?

Not really. In order for us to retain his rights, we have to offer him a contract, and anybody we send to FW will count as a roster spot.

Trader Joe
09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Right, but even if we don't retain his rights he could still go play at Fort Wayne on his own correct? And if a roster spot opens up, we could then sign him.

Hicks
09-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Shocked and dismayed are extreme, but I would be somewhat surprised and somewhat disappointed.

travmil
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I agree with Hicks. Not shocked, but definitely disappointed. From what I saw during summer leage the guy is an upgrade over Solo, so it would be really hard to take not giving him that spot if push came to shove.

count55
09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
While I think it's unlikely that Rolle ever becomes a contributor, I still would prefer to have him on the roster over TJ, Solo, and probably Lance at this point. That will be the basis of my disappointment if they have slots, and he doesn't when the season starts.

pacer4ever
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Magnum rolle will fit perfect playing with DC. Darren plays really well in the pick and roll, i watched all of summer league and tust me this guy is automatic from 15 ft. He also has some nice post moves and can finish the plays off. he also runs the floor very well. He also rebounded better than i thought he would. he might be our best option at the 4 We need him on this team

CableKC
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Mr. Boyle answered the question. The Pacers FO has between now and the start of the regular season to make a decision on Magnum. This means that they have about 1 month ( + change ) to see if they can deal TJ and someone else ( hopefully Solo ) in some "2fer1" deal to simply open up a roster spot for Magnum.

See....it's Easy-peasy.....:zip:

Will Galen
09-20-2010, 12:59 PM
They SHOULD be shocked and dismayed?

I'll be surprised if he isn't on the team when the season opens. Thus my disagreement.

MyFavMartin
09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buyout Solo than TJ Ford?

Justin Tyme
09-20-2010, 01:16 PM

What do you think?

Sorry, it's been so dead of late I didn't see this thread. Thanks for closing my re-run thread. I know now I'm not the only one who was thinking about the Rolle situation.

count55
09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buyout Solo than TJ Ford?

No. Ford and Solo are into the Pacers for $10mm this year. It's unlikely that either would take a buyout, but of the two, you're likely to save more cash in a buyout of TJ, because the reduction would reflect a much smaller percentage of his total pay, and Ford would be more likely to be able to land a min contract (that would also be worth about $400k less for Solo than Ford.)

But, in the likely event that a buyout cannot be reached, then there is ultimately no savings in cutting Solo vs. Ford. You will have less dead money, but you won't be paying out any less money overall.

Unclebuck
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
I wish the best for Magnum, and for all I know he might be a good player. But generally I don't really care who the 11th - 15th players are on the Pacers roster.

If they can find a way to sign him great, but if they can't, I don't think it is a big deal.

purdue101
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I would imagine that Bird has some 2 for 1 deals on the table, preferrably to nab a quality PF. As any GM should do, he is likely waiting until the last minute for the best offer before making a decision.

Magnum is working out in Indy and from everything I've read, he's considered a core piece. I'd be surprised if we don't make another deal in the next 2-3 weeks that clears up his spot. If not, someone will be bought out (likely Solo).

count55
09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I wish the best for Magnum, and for all I know he might be a good player. But generally I don't really care who the 11th - 15th players are on the Pacers roster.

If they can find a way to sign him great, but if they can't, I don't think it is a big deal.

Generally, I agree, but in this case, there's at least one player filling one of those spots who I actively don't want on the roster - that I am sure whose presence will be disruptive and counterproductive. It's less about who I want on the roster, and more about who I think shouldn't be there.

Speed
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I think he gets on the roster hook or crook. I also think he plays at some point this season.

No, it wasn't a huge price to acquire him, relatively, so the world doesn't end if you don't sign him. However, he is a player they targeted and one that they have the impression that he's done well, from what they've said. So I think he's lived up to what they had hoped, so far.

Sure, maybe not a difference maker or a planned on rotation guy, but he is a guy who will likely improve, even at 24.

I guess it would come down to this for TPTB, do I want one of two guys (Ford & Solo), I know I don't want on the team or a guy a want to try to develop that I think maybe could be a contributor down the line on a really cheap contract.

That's a no brainer to me, even if it costs you another couple of million to buy out Solo. You have to pay him anyway, likely not someone with any trade value outside of a salary amount. So you aren't really losing a trade chip.

To me, it's a obvious call. All you are doing is adding Magnum's salary and sending Solo home, instead of keeping him for depth. Magnum's salary will be minimal and again who cares if Solo isn't here.

Moving Ford would be ideal, but that has been ideal for the past year or more and it hasn't gotten done.

So, I'd say they do sign Magnum and with the tenuousness (word?) of the current Pacers frontline, he could actually play at some point (injuries history alone makes this a possibility).

This is all not even talking about his skillset, length, and athleticism that probably matches the NBA better than in college, anyway, imo.

MLB007
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Disagree!

Agree (with Will)

MLB007
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I think some of you are underestimating how much the PTB like this kid.
And for good reason IMO.
6" 11" guys that run the court, show a nose for the ball (rebounding) AND can shoot do not grow on trees.
Much as some would dismiss as meaningless 11-15 PLENTY of guys have moved from those spots to the rotation for us and every team in the league.
What's meaningless is if those spots are filled with 7 year vets that aren't going to get any better.
Filled with young kids with some potential, whole nother story.......

Speed
09-20-2010, 02:29 PM
As for the timing of signing him, why not wait.

Let's let Larry Brown have a few practices with DJ Augustine as his starting Point guard before buying out anyone or doing anything.

I'd guess Morway/Bird do have a plan leading right up to the week before real games start.

Lastly, I think they have to sign him to something to bring him into camp, right?

PacerGuy
09-20-2010, 02:42 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2010/09/20/the-pacers-want-to-get-rolleing/

The Pacers want to get Rolle(ing)
4:05 pm, September 20, 2010

FacebookShare
Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Facebook Newsvine Buzz up!Buzz up!Buzz up! FarkIt AAA
Written by
Mike Wells Filed Under
SPORTS /
Pacers
Blogs - Sports
Pacers Insider
THE ‘BURBS – Not much has changed with Magnum Rolle and the Pacers.

The Pacers still want to sign their second-round pick.

In order to do that, though, they’ve got to find a way to clear a roster spot.

The Pacers will have to do a two-for-one trade (or buy out a contract) since they’ve already got 15 players under contract. That may not happen until training camp starts and teams get a better look at their roster.

Some of you have asked if the Pacers can sign Rolle to a guaranteed contract right now.

Yes they can. They just have to be down to the maximum of 15 players by the league’s mandatory date in late October.

The Pacers will likely look to move one of their wing players.

It wouldn’t surprising if Dahntay Jones (and T.J. Ford) is the player they look to trade. Jones doesn’t fit coach Jim O’Brien’s playing style.

O’Brien made that known when he said he likes players that can “space the court” with the 3-point shot after Jones went through a stretch of several DNP-CD’s late last season.

This isn’t breaking news, Jones is not known for his 3-point shooting (4-of-32 last season).

Speaking of Ford, he’s been told that he’ll have a chance to earn a spot in the rotation, according to a source.

We’ll see if that holds true.

O’Brien and Ford’s relationship has been a disaster.

The coach took his point guard out the rotation for 18 games in late December. Ford got back in the rotation when he played well in the two games Earl Watson missed for personal reasons.

A groin injury in early March shut Ford down for the rest of the season.

Ford could end up being a wild card in the Pacers point guard situation because Lance Stephenson still has a legal situation hanging over him and A.J. Price is working his way back from knee surgery.

The Pacers have completed their training camp roster.

Lance Allred, who is legally deaf, will be the 17th player in training camp.

twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA

Not much new, but it's on topic...

Trophy
09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
We should just sign Magnum anyway just as a sign that he'll be here going into next season no matter what.

I kills me that we still have Solomon Jones. He really doesn't do much for us and Magnum plays the same position, but he appears to be the better defender and post player.

We should either waive Solomon or trade him to a team for a future 2nd round pick. The Clippers are usually a team that takes on one year contracts and gives up a future 2nd round pick and cash if needed.

I'd rather get rid of Solomon than Lance, but we'll see what's been going on with Lance and what he's going to do about his issue.

Speed
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2010/09/20/the-pacers-want-to-get-rolleing/

Not much new, but it's on topic...

I guess Allred is the only addition for camp, good to know.

Also, I don't think I realized how prevalent D Jones is in the cross hairs, if that is really the case.

Sookie
09-20-2010, 05:38 PM
That note on TJ makes me nervous that TJ's going to be the starter and Collison and Price get to battle it out for backup playing time...Obviously we can assume that would only last until about December..but Jimmy concerns me with his "play a vet" syndrom. Particularly when recently he reffered to Collison's season last year as "well he was just a rookie." Which I thought was actually smart at the time...but could really represent his feeling over who should start.

.....Please buy him out Larry..please..don't let Jimmy have the temptation.

CableKC
09-20-2010, 06:13 PM
It wouldn’t surprising if Dahntay Jones (and T.J. Ford) is the player they look to trade. Jones doesn’t fit coach Jim O’Brien’s playing style.

O’Brien made that known when he said he likes players that can “space the court” with the 3-point shot after Jones went through a stretch of several DNP-CD’s late last season.

This isn’t breaking news, Jones is not known for his 3-point shooting (4-of-32 last season).
We're straying off Topic here.....but you have to wonder if Bird and FO is in sync with JO'B at times. I didn't need to wait an entire season and a signed 3 year guaranteed deal to tell me that Inferno does not fit JO'Bs style.

I always thought that the signing of Inferno was more of a move by Bird to get Players in place once the Big 4 expire and come off the books which happens to coincide with when JO'B contract expires....that Inferno was a piece for the future where he fits a specific role. Sure, Inferno doesn't fit JO'B offense....but you don't bring a Player like Inferno in for his offense but more for his role as a defensive stopper.

If there is any truth to the notion that Inferno is considered a likely candidate PURELY because he doesn't fit JO'Bs offense because he can't hit the 3pt shot.....then someone should have simply looked at his stats in Denver before they decided to offer him a 3 year guaranteed contract. Inferno seems to be a Player that Bird would want on his Team ( all Teams need a defensive stopper...sure, he can't hit the 3pt shot...but he can help limit Players like Kobe )...but not a Player that JO'B prefers to have on the floor when it comes to the offense.

Kemo
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Wasn't Magnum ranked as one of the top 5 or 6 players in the Orlando Summer League??

I too , watched every SL game , and was HIGHLY impressed with how good he is .. .. I think he could come in immediately onto the court for us and become a good contributor .. Between Magnum , McRoberts , Foster, Tyler and Hibbert all manning the 4/5 spots , I think we will be alright this year.. maybe even better than anyone expects at those positions all things considering..

I just don't see us NOT signing Rolle... You just don't let a guy as good as he appears to be... slip through your hands .. because you have Solo occupying a roster spot... I'd cut Solo quicker than you can say cheese.. That way some other team can pick him up before the season starts, and Rolle can be signed..

CableKC
09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I just don't see us NOT signing Rolle... You just don't let a guy as good as he appears to be... slip through your hands .. because you have Solo ... I'd cut Solo quicker than you can say cheese.. That way some other team can pick him up before the season starts, and Rolle can be signed...
Cheese!

Is Solo cut from the Team yet?

speakout4
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Solo has no future on this team. Neither does TJ. Everyone else has possibilities and that includes Rolle so I would expect that magnum gets a real good look pre-season and if they still think he has possibilities he will make the team. He could even beat out mcRob for a spot.