PDA

View Full Version : Will this year set Fred Jones back?

ROCislandWarrior
08-15-2004, 01:29 AM
I don't think anyone on this board dislikes Fred Jones. He has been a pleasent surprise to my eyes and many others (SUAVE :cool:)!

The kid is coming off a season which was nothing but improvement after improvement. He struggled with his shot early, but by the time the Playoffs came around Fred was on fire with his jump shot.

His defense was terrific and his passing was much better than expected. He won the Dunk contest and it was almost as if the confidence started to ooz out of his pores.

Then the Playoffs came around and Fred left me in aww. He stepped his game up, and in the Pistons series he showed no fear. That dunk on Ben Wallace still gives me chills (what I liked even more about that play was how fired up Fred was after the dunk as he was yelling at some fan). Fred also showed that he was tough by playing through a shoulder injury that was actually more severe then the doctors had originally thought.

I would really like to see him get the chance to breakout this year. The bottom line though is that Fred is battling against more than just a man...he is battling the identity of Pacers basketball. I just can't see Fred taking Reggie's spot yet, unless Reggie gives it to him and bows out graciously.

Fred has to fight AJ/Gill/Reggie/Jackson for PT. The minutes are in short supply as you can see.

So the question is: will this year set Freddy back? Will he get the PT and breakout? Or am I over-rating Fred's ability?

Young
08-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Yes this season will sadly set him back.

Maybe.

If Jackson comes off the bench, he better not if we trade for Peja, then Jones will get some minuates still I think. With his abilty to play both backcourt positions and the versatility of Jackson playing the 2 or the 3 and Bender playing the 3 or 4 he will get some minuates. Heck probably about the same I guess or maybe even more.

Hicks
08-15-2004, 01:33 AM
Sadly I think he will be set back this year. He won't play over Jackson, and he won't play over Reggie.

LouisvilleLip
08-15-2004, 01:39 AM
I still remember that one pass in the Playoffs that Fred Jones had where he drove to the hole, did one of those drop of passes from mid air that reminded me of Kobe to Shaq or some of those Ai plays that made me think y cant Fred Jones develop into a pg. He would definetly be a better backup than Gill or Aj.

ROCislandWarrior
08-15-2004, 01:44 AM
I still remember that one pass in the Playoffs that Fred Jones had where he drove to the hole, did one of those drop of passes from mid air that reminded me of Kobe to Shaq or some of those Ai plays that made me think y cant Fred Jones develop into a pg. He would definetly be a better backup than Gill or Aj.

Not only would he be a better backup, his lack of size wouldn't hurt him if he were to play PG. Infact, he would be a big strong PG.

Perhaps Freddies play will force Rick to play him at PG (If he shows he can).

Young
08-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Maybe someone like Unclebuck who pays more attention to these things than me can back me up on this but wasn't Freddy basicly the point guard when AJ played with him? I thought Freddy usually ended up handling the ball and stuff.

ROCislandWarrior
08-15-2004, 01:59 AM
Maybe someone like Unclebuck who pays more attention to these things than me can back me up on this but wasn't Freddy basicly the point guard when AJ played with him? I thought Freddy usually ended up handling the ball and stuff.

My memory escapes me...but this would make sense.

AJ has a tough time because opponents learned that you can smother him and he has absoulutly no chance of blowing by you with the dribble. So I could see Fred handling the ball in that case.

But this year I don't see Fred and AJ playing together much at all. We added Jackson so it is going to be either Fred with Jackson or Miller...or AJ with Jackson or Miller.

SoupIsGood
08-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Freddie will get plent of time next year, because Ron will get traded for a center (hopefully)

Tinsley/Johnson/Gill
Jones/Miller (Miller will start, jones play more minutes)
Jackson/Bender
O'neal/Croshere
(Center)/Foster/Harrison/Pollard(If he's still around)

I would really like that lineup.

Unclebuck
08-15-2004, 09:59 AM

In a sense yes. Often times AJ would bring the ball up court and then give the ball to Freddie, who would run a pick and roll to set up the play. However against the Heat and Piston's excellent defenses the Pacers did less and less of this primarily because it was not as effective.

Rick likes to play players at whatever position is their best. Unlike Isiah who played players where ever he felt like it. I don't know if Ricjk will play Fred at the point. I do know that Rick likes the combo of AJ and Fred together as do I.

To answer your question, will this season set Fred back. Well he certainly won't show the improvement he did last season. But I think Fred will get a lot of minutes. Not sure exactly how or where, but things have a way of working out

Roy Munson
08-15-2004, 02:30 PM
"Will this year set Fred Jones back?".....

No, it will set Reggie Miller back. His role on the court will shrink as the season progresses. His role on the bench and in the locker room will be important and significant.

SoupIsGood
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
This line-up wpuld be interesting I f we sign Dampier

Jones-Jackson-artest-O'neal-Dampier

If Jones can play PG, and Dampier keeps up his level of play, that squad would be an exellent defense team, with Jackson being the worst defender, and he isn't half bad.

MSA2CF
08-15-2004, 02:40 PM
His injury will put him behind, and it's unlikely that he'll be able to catch up during the regular season.

SoupIsGood
08-15-2004, 02:45 PM
I thought he was going to be fine for Training camp??

ROCislandWarrior
08-15-2004, 03:28 PM
I thought he was going to be fine for Training camp??

Rick said that Fred will be 100% ready by training camp

Eindar
08-16-2004, 07:54 AM
I think there are 2 key points that will determine Fred's progress this year.

First, how will Bender do this season? If Bender comes out like a ball of fire and starts lighting teams up, he's going to be getting all of the back-up minutes at 3. This will mean that all of Stephen Jackson's minutes will come at the 2, which will severely limit Fred's PT, unless, as stated, Reggie decides he wants to ride the pine most of next year. If Bender flops, or, more likely, gets injured, Stephen Jackson becomes the backup 3, which will open up more minutes at 2 for Fred.

Second, can Fred outplay AJ for minutes at point? I think he can, because he's AJs equal as a ballhandler, he's just as strong, quicker, and arguably a better passer. I think AJ cemented himself into the #2 role last year because Fred got off to a slow start and we had the whole Tinsley vs. Anderson issue going on. AJ was a known quantity, which was a good thing to have. With Tinsley firmly in the driver's seat as the starting point guard, we don't need that guaranteed mediocre performance from our backup. This, however, all hinges on Jones' ability to play point.