PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an NBA All-star Game to Indy: Fantasy or future reality?

joeyd
09-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Why is it that we never hear about Indiana hosting an NBA All-star game?

With all of the rave reviews about Conseco Fieldhouse, I would like to think that the NBA would have no complaints about having the All-star game here some time in the near future. If the NBA feels that the venue is too small, then Lucas Oil Stadium would do the trick.

Why no love?

Pacers#1Fan
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I think during the 90's or early 2000's when Walsh was still running the team the NBA wanted to have an All-Star game in Indy and were for some reason turned down by either the city or the organization (which I don't see why the city would turn them down, that would translate into some pretty decent revenue). I don't really remember if this was rumor or fact but I remember hearing it none-the-less.

Peck
09-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Walsh & Company had a very bad experience with the All-star game back in the 80's.

I don't remember all of the problems but I remember him saying that one of the big issues is that the league mandated so many tickets be given away that the home team had zero way of making money off of the event and by the time the additional security and overtime for people arranging all of the logistics of the event were added in that the team ended up losing astro bucks.

The city wanted the pacers to hold the event back when the fieldhouse was new but Walsh was not interested.

Since we have a new management group you would wonder if they would be open to the idea, however we still have the same owner so he has to be willing to sign the checks for it.

MyFavMartin
09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
One would think it would drum up interest for the Pacers and the exposure of Indy would be good with the basketball tie-ins and all the players coming from the state.

Would there be a way for the Simons and city to negotiate it?

ChristianDudley
09-19-2010, 03:39 PM
We're lucky our team is still in the state with all of the team's and city's financial instability together. I'd love to see the NBA All-Star game and festivities come to Indy, but if we're just going to lose money on it, then forget it.

cdash
09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't see it happening any time soon. The Fieldhouse is old enough where the luster of a new arena has worn off, and to a nation-wide audience, the Pacers are uninteresting. Indianapolis doesn't have nice weather in February and it's not a city with a ton of nightlife.

Hicks
09-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I only see it happening if we find a way to profit off of it.

joeyd
09-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Indianapolis doesn't have nice weather in February and it's not a city with a ton of nightlife.

But remember, this did not prevent the NFL from choosing Indy as a Super Bowl site.

As to making a profit, there would not be an incentive for any city to host an all-star game if they would lose money. I seem to remember that with the NBA Fanfest and the rest of the activities, host cities do make money, but I cannot quote or remember the source.

xBulletproof
09-19-2010, 06:20 PM
But remember, this did not prevent the NFL from choosing Indy as a Super Bowl site.

As to making a profit, there would not be an incentive for any city to host an all-star game if they would lose money. I seem to remember that with the NBA Fanfest and the rest of the activities, host cities do make money, but I cannot quote or remember the source.

To the first sentence, the Colts have a new-ish stadium, and have been very good.

To the 2nd part, the city may profit with all the influx of people and festivities. How about the team owners though? Two different subjects.

joeyd
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
To the first sentence, the Colts have a new-ish stadium, and have been very good.

I'm not quite sure that there is a correlation with the host city's team performance and the choice of a site.

As for the owners, again, I don't know why any owner would want the All-star game if they end up losing money. it would not make sense.

pacer4ever
09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't see it happening any time soon. The Fieldhouse is old enough where the luster of a new arena has worn off, and to a nation-wide audience, the Pacers are uninteresting. Indianapolis doesn't have nice weather in February and it's not a city with a ton of nightlife.

it would be in the lucas oil

Bball
09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
2 things- I hate prop All-Star games. OK, with that caveat out of the way... I agree with the above sentiment that the NBA AS game can't be a losing proposition for host cities/teams or it would cease to exist.

Of course, in today's USA it could be corporate welfare (taxpayers) paying the bills as the NBA team(s) go to their cities and states with their hand out and a good story about how much commerce an All Star game would bring...

And I agree with the comment that the game itself would be at Lucas. Preliminary events would be at the Fieldhouse tho I'd expect...

cdash
09-19-2010, 08:37 PM

The NFL rewards owners and cities who build new stadiums. Dangling the Super Bowl carrot might be enough to push it over the top to get the new stadium built. Basically, hosting the Super Bowl is about rewarding the Colts for building a new stadium.

ChicagoJ
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
The one we hosted (85?) was in the Hoosier Dome. There's no way it would actually take place in the Fieldhouse. So why bother?

pacer4ever
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
The one we hosted (85?) was in the Hoosier Dome. There's no way it would actually take place in the Fieldhouse. So why bother?

because lucas oil is a better place for it. it was fun to watch college hoops there im sure it would be just as fun to watch all stars