PDA

View Full Version : Michael Beasley: "We are the team to beat"

MillerTime
09-18-2010, 03:37 PM
"Honestly, and I know a lot of people are not going to like that fact that I'm going to say this but I think we are the team to beat," Beasley told Timberwolves.com in an interview. "You know, that's just me and my ego speaking. I think the Lakers are the defending champs two years in a row, I think the Lakers still hold that title. It's nice to see somebody try to fight back but as of now, the Lakers are still the team to beat."
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/24633212
CBS Sports

Day-V
09-18-2010, 03:50 PM
I want what he's smoking.

xBulletproof
09-18-2010, 03:52 PM
I want what he's smoking.

If it makes you that stupid, I don't.

Trophy
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
They are the team to beat.

I'd be pretty embarrassed if my team was to lose to them.

BornReady
09-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Initially, I was gonna say that he's smoking David Kahn. But didn't Kahn address Minnesota in an ad that said that they're most likely not going to compete for the title? Guess somebody is on the wrong page :D

Hicks
09-18-2010, 04:13 PM
They are the team to beat... On the schedules of about 25 or so other teams.

xBulletproof
09-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe he was so high, he forgot he was traded?

Kstat
09-18-2010, 04:55 PM
....I thought Kahn assured us that Beasley stopped smoking weed?

Doddage
09-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Sure, he may be a little offbase, but I like that attitude. Any kind of leader needs to have confidence like that.

BornReady
09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Sure, he may be a little offbase, but I like that attitude. Any kind of leader needs to have confidence like that.

Beasley...confident? what?:confused:

Kstat
09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
leader?

Doddage
09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Why not? Obviously he's not there right now, but who's to say he can't change in Minnesota?

KennerLeaguer
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM

It doesn't really have much to do with confidence. Mike just makes Artest look normal by comparison.

Brad8888
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I think we are the team to beat

Beasley is a little verbally dyslexic, I believe.

Possibilities of what he may have meant to say

Are we the team I think to beat?

We are the team I think to beat.

I beat the team to think we are.

We are beat to the team, I think.

We are to think I beat the team!

I team to think we are the beat!

Kstat
09-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Why not? Obviously he's not there right now, but who's to say he can't change in Minnesota?

...because he needs to do more playing than talking for once in his career.

It isn't a good move to come out and say you have the best team when in reality, you probably have the worst team. There's nothing to like about this.

If he really wanted to act like a leader, he wouldn't have had the career he's had so far, and he'd wait until the season to provide something to back up this ridiculous statement.

Anybody with a microphone can say they have the best team in the middle of September. That takes no effort at all.

SMosley21
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Am I the only one that noticed he says the T'Wolves are the team to beat, then immediately after that says the Lakers are the team to beat?

vnzla81
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C65oaIHsdYM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C65oaIHsdYM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HeliumFear
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
He was joking. Read it again.

BlueNGold
09-18-2010, 07:58 PM
There were no jokes in that statement. He simply backtracked and explained why (i.e. his ego). I just hope he gets the ball a lot.

focused444
09-18-2010, 08:16 PM

This is how I feel also. Put all of his "problems" aside, I want to cheer for players that believe they can win anytime they step on the floor. You can't achieve a goal you don't believe you can reach. It all begins with belief.

xBulletproof
09-18-2010, 08:39 PM
This is how I fell also. Put all of his "problems" aside. I want to cheer for players that believe they can win anytime they step on the floor. You can't achieve a goal you don't believe you can reach. It all begins with belief.

No, it starts with being capable of reaching your goal. Realizing you have the ability, talent or whatever it is needed is where it starts. Belief comes in realizing that the talent is there.

What we're talking about here is being delusional, and delusion induced expectations only lead to disappointment. Me believing that I'm the best golfer in the world still doesn't give me a snowballs chance in hell at going to the US Open and playing my way there. Talent might, but without that, the "belief" is really more of a delusion.

In many cases that false belief can lead to not working as hard as is needed, and falling short of that goal before you ever truly were capable of it. Even if you could have been.

Kstat
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I really don't like cheering for #2 overall picks who don't accomplish anything yet talk like they have.

Improvement comes with first admitting you need to improve.

cdash
09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Nobody made the, "Does he still think he's on the Heat?" joke yet?

HeliumFear
09-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Humor doesn't always translate well through text,but after a 2nd read it was clear he was joking.

focused444
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
No, it starts with being capable of reaching your goal. Realizing you have the ability, talent or whatever it is needed is where it starts. Belief comes in realizing that the talent is there.

What we're talking about here is being delusional, and delusion induced expectations only lead to disappointment. Me believing that I'm the best golfer in the world still doesn't give me a snowballs chance in hell at going to the US Open and playing my way there. Talent might, but without that, the "belief" is really more of a delusion.

In many cases that false belief can lead to not working as hard as is needed, and falling short of that goal before you ever truly were capable of it. Even if you could have been.

I agree with most of your points, but I believe any team, if strong minded enough, can exceed their talent level, and the foundation for that hard work, determination, and belief. Talent plays a huge role, and obviously they aren't "the team to beat" but all teams have to believe they can beat any team when they suit up, or they already lost. Beasley should have said something like "we believe we can compete with any team" that kinda how I took it, and it seems more realistic.

Shade
09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Either Beasley's joking, or his brain is completely fried, because his statement makes no sense whatsoever.

CableKC
09-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Did someone tell Beasley that he doesn't play for the Heat anymore?

Kemo
09-18-2010, 10:28 PM

LOL .. I would agree with you ,

that is .....

If we weren't talking about N.B.A. players for Pete's sake ...lol

Believe me the talent is there , or else they wouldn't EVER be on an NBA team ... The thing is ... to be able to get all the amassed talent on a team to buy into a winning attitude and play together like a finely oiled , well put-together machine ..

I believe that a team of average NBA talented players playing like that , and with heart .. can overachieve themselves into good things ....

Never underestimate the heart of a true "team" ...

I'd rather be the underdog , than the flashy, always-having-a-stacked-roster-Lakers type of team..

NapTonius Monk
09-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Nobody made the, "Does he still think he's on the Heat?" joke yet?http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1062017&postcount=7

Kstat
09-18-2010, 11:44 PM
I'd rather be the underdog , than the flashy, always-having-a-stacked-roster-Lakers type of team..

....given that the Lakers have 16 championships....I'll go with their idea.

SycamoreKen
09-19-2010, 12:53 AM
....given that the Lakers have 16 championships....I'll go with their idea.

What he said. After spending the past 12 years in a city where every season brings the possibility of playing for the title and getting to experience 4 of them, there is just no way to describe how that feels. I truly hope Indy gets the opportunity.

Trader Joe
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Pretty clear he was joking. Sarcasm obviously losing its touch here in text form.

Frostwolf
09-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Nobody made the, "Does he still think he's on the Heat?" joke yet?

i was going to. bleh

Pretty clear he was joking. Sarcasm obviously losing its touch here in text form.

what? how would what beasley said be

a) a joke
b) sarcasm

in any way? the dude just has no filter between brain and mouth.

Rogco
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
....I thought Kahn assured us that Beasley stopped smoking weed?

Maybe he has and he only eats brownies now? Got to think about your cardio when you're an elite athlete.

Eleazar
09-20-2010, 12:35 PM
i was going to. bleh

what? how would what beasley said be

a) a joke
b) sarcasm

in any way? the dude just has no filter between brain and mouth.

First off it is obvious that he isn't serious. Secondly the reporter didn't put any context to it. In 99% of cases when there is no context it is because the person is trying to portray what was said in a different light than what was originally said.

Seriously are there only 3 people here with the reading comprehension and manipulation knowledge to realize this was a joke?

Since86
09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Considering he put the phrase "I know a lot of people are not going to like that fact that I'm going to say this but...." clearly shows that he knows how the quote was going to be taken, that he's off his rocker if he's taken at 100% face value.

His serious about it, because that's who competitve people are, but he's not dumb to the fact that they're the Wolves.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/BEasy_Prepares_For_Camp_2010_09_15.html

The interview was actually videotaped BTW.

naptownmenace
09-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I really don't like cheering for #2 overall picks who don't accomplish anything yet talk like they have.

Improvement comes with first admitting you need to improve.

He's wrong about the TWolves being the team to beat but as far as his game is concerned, I thought he made some very noticeable improvements in his offensive game and ball handling. He hasn't lived up to the hype and expectations of a #2 draft pick. Then again he wasn't on a team that really used him for anything but catch and shoot opportunities when DWade decided to pass him the ball and he managed to average 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds in less than 30 minutes a game.

It will be interesting seeing what he can do if they put the ball in his hands more and let him create his own. He could be at least as good as Rudy Gay offensively.