PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NBA All-Star Weekend: The Five Rookies Who Will Be There

90'sNBARocked
09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/463263-2011-nba-all-star-weekend-10-rookies-who-will-be-there#page/6

Events:
Slam Dunk Competition
Three-Point Shootout

Paul George was one of the most versatile players selected in the NBA Draft this year. In his time with Fresno State, Paul showed that he could throw it down, but also step outside and knock it down. What really put him on the map was a huge dunk against St. Mary's, which he called his best college memory. He's got a frame similar to DeMar DeRozan, so it would be interesting to see them match-up. And he's already mentioned that he'd like to participate.

What got him selected in the lottery by the Pacers was his ability to score from all over the court, including from beyond the three-point line. As a freshman he shot nearly 45 percent from deep. While he struggled in Summer League to find his stroke, by midseason we think he'll be on track to compete in the Three-Point Shootout.

pianoman
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
:duh: I wish there was a ban on posting stuff from Bleacher Report on here.

But on the topic of ASW, I think PG has a good chance of being in the rook/soph game. No way he gets in the 3pt contest. Dunk contest may be possible too.

The thing I want to see is and Indiana shooting stars team.

Danny
Catchings
Reggie

That would be AWESOME to watch!!!

didn't mean to criticize you for making this thread ;)

SMosley21
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
He's definitely got the hops to pull off some sick dunks in the contest, just a matter of how creative he is.

SMosley21
09-17-2010, 11:25 AM

But on the topic of ASW, I think PG has a good chance of being in the rook/soph game. No way he gets in the 3pt contest. Dunk contest may be possible too.

Danny
Catchings
Reggie

I've been waiting for that for a few years. Would easily be the best team there.

BPump33
09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
I've been waiting for that for a few years. Would easily be the best team there.

I've been saying that for years as well.

90'sNBARocked
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
What really put him on the map was a huge dunk against St. Mary's, which he called his best college memory

Anyone know the dunk the writers referring too?

vnzla81
09-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Anyone know the dunk the writers referring too?

it has to be this one

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4uXmDwm8UJY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4uXmDwm8UJY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Deadshot
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Wow, PG looks so skinny there.

90'sNBARocked
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I saw a comparisson where they said he is like Shawn Marion

I tend to agree

MyFavMartin
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Apparently, he's been hitting the weights so I don't think the Derozan comparison is valid any longer... Hoping he puts on some muscle and becomes similar to Danny.

BornReady
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Interesting- PG said on ustream the other night that he'd rather win the 3 pt contest than dunk contest :D

90'sNBARocked
09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Interesting- PG said on ustream the other night that he'd rather win the 3 pt contest than dunk contest :D

So would Jim O'Brien :)

CableKC
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
You guys are way more optimistic then I am.....I don't see PG playing enough minutes before the ASB to warrant any attention to be part of the ASG in any way.

Doddage
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I think PG has a shot of starting for the Rookies since that position doesn't have the star power of the other positions. I'd expect the following lineup:

Wall
Turner
?
Griffin
Cousins

It might be tough to get in though since I expect guys like Wes Johnson and Aminu to get more minutes than PG.

pacers74
09-17-2010, 03:48 PM
When PG did that video chat last week, someone asked him about the slam dunk contest. He said he was going to enter for sure.

MyFavMartin
09-18-2010, 06:01 PM
So the Rookie/Sophomore game has 9 guys each.

PG might have a chance at the rookie team considering Udoh is out for the season... as long as he gets some minutes to prove he deserves...

And Tyler could make the Sophomore team likewise considering Thabeet shouldn't be there, Rubio's still in Europe... will Jordan Hill get to go?

Eleazar
09-18-2010, 09:06 PM
So the Rookie/Sophomore game has 9 guys each.

PG might have a chance at the rookie team considering Udoh is out for the season... as long as he gets some minutes to prove he deserves...

And Tyler could make the Sophomore team likewise considering Thabeet shouldn't be there, Rubio's still in Europe... will Jordan Hill get to go?

I hope you left Collison out of just because at this point in time he seems like a shoe in for the sophmore team?

Really if Stephenson and George both get decent amount of minutes I think it is realistic to see 3 Pacers in the R/S game. Tyler is a stretch, it will help that he plays the PF position, but he needs to make drastic improvements if he even wants to be considered.

Hicks
09-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I hope you left Collison out of just because at this point in time he seems like a shoe in for the sophmore team?

You're right! Man, I actually managed to forget just how new to the NBA this kid is.

*checks*

Wow, then again, it may not be a lock at all. I was assuming he made it as a rookie, but he did not:

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2010/rookie.challenge/index.html

Lance George
09-19-2010, 12:48 AM
If Collison puts up numbers similar to those he put up as a starter last season, the only way he's not playing on Saturday is because he's playing on Sunday.

Kstat
09-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Greg Monroe is a bit of a wild card, far as the all-rookie team goes. If he gets minutes, he should be there.

Paul George is a bit like Derrick McKey. He's clearly better than his production would indicate, but for some reason just doesn't have the mentality of wanting to be the man. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, or a bad pick, but unless his mentality changes in the NBA, he looks like a high-end role player.

Of course, that doesn't mean he can't make the rookie team either. Jonas Jerebko was never a top offensive option and made the team last year.

As for Collison...unless the coaching staff tries to change him into something he isn't...he's going to be there, no contest.

Hicks
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM
George alleges that his goal is to be one of the best players ever. If he's even close to serious about that, I'd like to think he'll try hard to be assertive on the floor. I hope so; I see a lot of talent with him. Of course, Jermaine O'Neal taught me well in the lessons of "players can say all the right things without necessarily meeting your wildest expectations."

Then again, even still, JO was pretty damn good for a few years, too.

A big reason I'm optimistic about Paul is that Roy's taken him under his wing, and Roy works as hard as anybody at improving his game and body. If that rubs off on Paul, that could be fantastic.

xBulletproof
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
George alleges that his goal is to be one of the best players ever. If he's even close to serious about that, I'd like to think he'll try hard to be assertive on the floor. I hope so; I see a lot of talent with him. Of course, Jermaine O'Neal taught me well in the lessons of "players can say all the right things without necessarily meeting your wildest expectations."

Then again, even still, JO was pretty damn good for a few years, too.

A big reason I'm optimistic about Paul is that Roy's taken him under his wing, and Roy works as hard as anybody at improving his game and body. If that rubs off on Paul, that could be fantastic.

Well between the Roy thing, and pre-draft that he was buddies/workout partners with Granger as well. Whatever people think of Granger and his defense lately, he was a 4 year college player (less perceived potential) who improved his scoring average in a manner the league has never seen.

If you're going to be cool with 2 players on the team as a young player, those might be the 2 guys I'd choose.

90'sNBARocked
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Great point man,

I was thinking about that last night. its like when they tell you to not be around negative people as it brings you down, the opisite is true when your around positive people

One thing people tend to overlook is these guys might have the body of a man, but are really just kids. Kids like to have fun and need friends and good influences

Roy is all that and a bag of chips

duke dynamite
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM

http://www.tshirtinsight.com/cache/www.teesforall.com_images_Big_Bang_Bazinga_Red_Shi rt.jpg

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Danny
Catchings
Reggie

Who is Catchings?

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM

So would I.

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
You guys are way more optimistic then I am.....I don't see PG playing enough minutes before the ASB to warrant any attention to be part of the ASG in any way.

It's been reported that they think PG is further along than Danny was at this point.
Danny was pretty good as a rookie. :devil:

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Really if Stephenson and George both get decent amount of minutes I think it is realistic to see 3 Pacers in the R/S game. Tyler is a stretch, it will help that he plays the PF position, but he needs to make drastic improvements if he even wants to be considered.

Stephenson won't see the floor except mopup minutes.
If he's here, and I still that's doubtful.

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
You're right! Man, I actually managed to forget just how new to the NBA this kid is.

*checks*

Wow, then again, it may not be a lock at all. I was assuming he made it as a rookie, but he did not:

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2010/rookie.challenge/index.html

His big run was in the 2nd half of the season. Before that he had AJ numbers.

MLB007
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Greg Monroe is a bit of a wild card, far as the all-rookie team goes. If he gets minutes, he should be there.

Paul George is a bit like Derrick McKey. He's clearly better than his production would indicate, but for some reason just doesn't have the mentality of wanting to be the man. Doesn't mean he's a bad player, or a bad pick, but unless his mentality changes in the NBA, he looks like a high-end role player.

LOL, bet you're wrong. :)