PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Game #1 - Colts at Chargers 8/14/2004

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't figure many will be online on a Saturday night, but what the hell, I'll start a thread on this game....

The game is being broadcast on WB4 in central Indiana.

Well, after each team has had a possession, it seems obvious to me that the Ponies are much better than the Chargers on offense, defense, and special teams. I'm going to keep my eye on the young defensive players and on David Kimball during the game in particular.

Pig Nash
08-14-2004, 10:17 PM
keep me updated, cause i'm watchin the olympics.

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 10:23 PM
keep me updated, cause i'm watchin the olympics.

:shakehead::p

Great, the D just gave up a huge run and a huge pass back-to-back. Whoo hoo.

Pig Nash
08-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Did Rivers sign yet? I have been gone for a week.

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 10:29 PM
No, Rivers flew back to North Carolina. Doesn't look like he'll be signing anytime soon.

The Ponies are currently challenging a called touchdown for San Diego. Yep, that D is great. ...*cues Jeopardy! music*

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Touchdown Chargers. Everyone forget I said something nice about the defense before.

0-7

4:11 left in the 1st

Vicious Tyrant
08-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Is this the defensive first unit playing? Or scrubs?

I'd love David Kimball updates.

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 11:12 PM
The Ponies just tied the game on a 4th and Goal run by Mungro. Mungro made a great stretch to get the ball across the plane. He's being doing great, making good runs and catching the ball well. I also think Cory Sauter is doing a fine job.

The offensive line has been suspect, I think. Scuillio had a dumb false start penalty on a 3rd and 1 earlier, and Sauter was sacked after no one picked up a blitzing linebacker.

Vandy just kicked off after the touchdown. The ball went to the 7 yard line or so. :unimpressed:

7-7, 5:21 left in the 2nd

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 11:24 PM
The secondary continues to be burned for decent gains. That's just not good. It appears to me the defensive line is getting a decent push on the line of scrimmage.

At least Kaeding missed that 25 yard field goal. He was great at Iowa, so that miss was a nice present.

7-7 at the half

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 11:47 PM
HOLY CRAP!

Aaron Moorehead just made a MAGNIFICENT behind-the-back catch for an 81-yard touchdown. Make sure to watch for highlights of that catch on Sportscenter.

Kimball kicks the extra point, and it's good! (Wow.)

14-7 Ponies

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Kimball kicks off, all the way to the 10 yard line. Bah. Both of his kickoffs have been weak tonight. Hmm....

obnoxiousmodesty
08-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Joseph Jefferson just made a nice play on the ball for an interception. Pretty sweet D there.

11:25 left in the 3rd

obnoxiousmodesty
08-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Brian Allen is having a fine game. He's done a good job returning kickoffs, rushing, and running after the catch. I think he'll bring a lot off the bench if his number is called during the year.

Scullio had another false start. Overall, I think the team has done a good job with penalties though.

Joe Hamilton has come in and is doing pretty good I think. He's made good decisions.

Kimball just missed a 40 yards+ (not sure of exact yardage) field goal try. He's not having a good night.

Pig Nash
08-15-2004, 12:19 AM
From what i'm hearing, this kimball kid isn't all he's cracked up to be. maybe its just nerves.

obnoxiousmodesty
08-15-2004, 12:21 AM
The Chargers just ran it up the gut of our defense for a touchdown. It's hard to tell where the defense is making mistakes. I will say it looks like we've been missing tackles all night long. Hmm, that sounds familiar. (Anyone remember the Carolina game? Ouch.)

obnoxiousmodesty
08-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Ponies are down 17-14, Joe Hamilton leading a drive down the field with 0:46 left. The ball is on the SD 25, and we have 2 timeouts left.

Go Ponies!

obnoxiousmodesty
08-15-2004, 01:07 AM
TOUCHDOWN! Ponies take the lead with 11 seconds left.

Joe Hamilton to Bryan Fletcher. Kimball kick is good.

21-17

Lord Helmet
08-15-2004, 01:21 AM
We win!!!That Moorehead catch was sweet! :o And Kimball :unimpressed:Colts 1-0!!Lets go Ponies.Our next game is V.S. NY Jets August 21st

obnoxiousmodesty
08-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Colts win. 1-0 on the preseason.

Well, let me see....

Peyton, Edge, and Marvin were out in 2 drives, for a massive total of 6 plays.

Cory Sauter looked good as the backup QB. He didn't do anything extraordinary. Here's hoping Peyton has another injury-free year.

I think Joe Hamilton has a good grip on the 3rd QB spot. He made good decisions, and led the team well on the game-winning drive. I like his ability to scramble. No other QBs played in the game.

The Colts once again have a deep running back core. Mungro and Allen were quite solid in my opinion.

The offensive line was average to mediocre; there were only 3 or 4 false starts, and for the first preseason game that's pretty good. However, they gave up 4 sacks on the night and that's not gonna work.

Great WRs: Stokely and Moorehead had some great catches, and a few of the younger guys also contributed.

On the defensive side, we had some good plays by the secondary and then some bad plays by the secondary. I honestly couldn't keep much track of who was doing what during the game, with so many guys going in and out.

I think the defensive line often got a good push on the line of scrimmage, although no sacks were recorded. However, with that good push, the line sometimes allowed a RB to squirt right past them, usually right up the middle into the secondary. Very similar to last year.

Thornton was active during his time in the game. No other LB made much of an impression upon me.

Kimball certainly didn't prove his worth tonight. Vandy kicked off better (the one time he kicked off). Hunter Smith was in mid-season form.

Is it September 9th yet?

Lord Helmet
08-15-2004, 01:26 AM
I wish it was September 9th.REVENGE :devil: But don't worry it will come faster than we think.On tonights game I really liked our Running Backs especially Number 34 and Mungro.