PDA

View Full Version : Texans add two defensive linemen

Basketball Fan
09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7200014.html

Texans add veteran defensive linemen Denney, Ogunleye

Veteran defensive ends Adewale Ogunleye and Ryan Denney signed with the Texans on Tuesday.

Ogunleye (10 years) and Denney (nine) have a combined 19 years of experience. They will replace Connor Barwin, who suffered a season-ending dislocated ankle in the 34-24 victory over Indianapolis, and Tim Jamison, who was placed on waivers Tuesday.

Barwin, who came off the bench in passing situations and primarily played the left side, will undergo surgery today and be placed on injured reserve.

Against the Colts, Barwin was replaced by Jesse Nading, a two-year veteran. Nading and the new additions will compete for playing time off the bench behind starters Mario Williams and Antonio Smith.

Ogunleye, 33, signed a one-year contract for $800,000. He played his first four years with Miami and the last six with Chicago. Last season, he played in 14 games and had 38 tackles and 6 1/2 sacks before suffering a fractured fibula in December.

Ogunleye (6-4, 260) came to the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Miami in 2000.

Denney, 33, signed a one-year deal for $755,000. He was Buffalo’s first-round pick in 2002. He played nine years with Buffalo and was waived in the offseason. Last season, Denney (6-7, 264) played in 15 games, recording 27 tackles and two sacks.

D-BONE
09-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I'd hazard to speculate the Ogunleye would have been a better DE backup than anybody we have, including Hughes at this point at least. You can never have enough pass rushing depth.

By the way, with Hughes being brought along this slowly, who are our b/u DEs? Dawson and Foster? I'd take Ogunleye over them. Of course, DT is where we desperately need a difference maker. I'd settle for just an "average" middle clogger. That would constitute an upgrade I fear.