PDA

View Full Version : What if....Bird/Moreway Weren't so Patient

MillerTime
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
If you really think about it...Bird has put the Pacers in a great position to become an eilte team through being VERY patient. At times, I read on the board that people just wanted Bird to make a move, just for the sake of moving and move and shaking up the roster. Bird remained firm that they are not going to make moves that dont make sense for the organization.

So far, Bird has managed to get us a long-term answer at PG (Collison), back up PG (Price), SG and backup SG (George and Rush), SG (Granger - some might say Bird did not draft Granger, but he did re-sign him to a VERY reasonable contract compared to Granger's peers), back up PF (I dont see Hansbrough being a starter on a championship team, and Im sure the Pacers want to be a championship calibre team again - I see him as an energy guy off the bench), and C (no shock here, Hibbert - who is a huge fan favorite).

Now with all that done, I dont think Bird has made any "bad" moves. He has remained very firm and if a move did not favour the Pacers, he would not pull the trigger. The team we have thus far look promising, but the work is not done.

Lets look at all this in a different perspective. If Bird made moves to make fans happy and to shake things up, this is what might/could have happened.

There was a lot of talks of trading Murphy for Big Z and Hickson. Big Z would have left once his contract expired; thats no shock. So would have have lost Murphy and gained Hickson and cap relief, which isnt a huge deal considering that if we were looking to sign a big named 2010 free agent, we were looking to compete against NJ, NY, Miami and Chicago...Im sure we all know what would have happened

Secondly, we almost traded our #10 pick away for Eric Maynor later pick (because the player Bird was interested in was going to be drafted much later in the draft, but surpirsingly we got him anyways...I think its fair so assume that that player was Lance Stephenson).

Our potential starting lineup next season could have been (if Bird was NOT patient and make moves to keep fans interested):

Maynor/Price/Ford
Rush/D. Jones/Stephenson
Granger/Dunleavy
Hickson/Hansbrough/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

But, because Bird was to hold his ground and make ONLY smart moves that benefited the team in the long-run, I think overall we have a much better team now and put ourselves in a situation to be back to an elite team. Compare to the roster above to:

Collison/Price/Ford
George/Rush/Stephenson
Granger/Posey/Dunleavy
Hansbrough/McRoberts
Hibbert/Foster

I know I said that Hansbrough isnt a starting calibre PF on a championship team, but we're not there yet and I can see Bird making another move. And the best part is that we have Tinsley, Ford, Foster and Dunleavy all coming off the books.

I hope this puts Bird's patience in prespective to some fans. I will also admit that I was at times fed up at the lack of movement with the roster, but I am really happy with our lineup now and the position that Bird has put us in

I strongly beleive that we're one great PF away from being Eastern Conference contenders. I really wish we could make a huge push for Horford next summer. Hes a restricted FA and Im sure ATL would match any reasonable offer for him. The only way the Pacers get him will be by over-paying him. Something in the $65-$70 range over 5 years I think will get him

Our future is a lot brighter after holding tight and jumping onto the right deals.

Psyren
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice post you have there :)

I think the best thing he did was not trading that #10 pick for Maynor. Back when that report first came out, I nearly pulled my hair out. Maynor is not a starting PG in this league and I doubt he ever will be one.

I could be wrong though.

And with Hansbrough, it's tough not to like him. He's strong as could be, plays all out, is good at most everything due to his hustle and not so much natural talent, and is just generally annoying to play against. That's tough not to like.

I like your post and I agree with everything :D

Kstat
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Who knew Collison was the long-term answer at PF? He might be a little undersized, but I've seen crazier things...

I strongly beleive that we're one great PF away from being Eastern Conference contenders.

Every team in the NBA is one great player away from being contenders....

90'sNBARocked
09-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Who knew Collison was the long-term answer at PF? He might be a little undersized, but I've seen crazier things...

LOL

I saw that too and was like "Man Obie is outta control"

Trader Joe
09-14-2010, 04:55 PM

He's gonna play back up PG too.

Bball
09-14-2010, 04:57 PM
What if....Bird/Moreway Weren't so Patient

Bird/Morway look like Mexican Jumping Beans compared to Donnie Walsh and his time here...

MillerTime
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Ya that was a huge typo on my part.....but I'm sure you guys knew what I meant.

I wouldn't agree with every team being a one great player away from being a contender. Excluding Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Durant , and CP3, I'm sure you could give the Raps or Minny another other player and I guarantee you they won't be contending for anything worth cheering for (if you're a fan).

Adding a superstar could be great, but for most teams, including Indy, that's a not realistic. Horford is a boardline All Star right now, but I believe if you move him back to his natural PF position, he'll thrive. He could be a realistic option for the Pacers if they are willing to spend the $$$$$

Kstat
09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I really don't know what you meant...who's the long-term answer at PF?

MillerTime
09-14-2010, 05:28 PM

My bad that was a typo. I pretty sure most people know what I'm talking about

I don't agree with you regarding every team in the league being one great player away from being a contender. I don't consider a great player a superstar (Kobe, Wade, CP3, Lebron, Durant). You could put any great player on the Raps and I guarentee you they won't be contenders

MillerTime
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I really don't know what you meant...who's the long-term answer at PF?
Wow you gotta be kidding me.....did you really not understand where the typo was? Collison is the biggest news in Pacers talk this off-season....I sure you know what position he plays and hope you would see how someone could hit the F button instead of the G button considering they're right beside each other