PDA

View Full Version : Shoul the pacers pull a simmilar move?

90'sNBARocked
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/09/14/timberwolves.ad.ap/index.html

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The Minnesota Timberwolves are nothing if not honest.

The team took out a full-page ad in Monday's Star Tribune sports section, featuring a long open letter to fans that acknowledges the negatives, points to the positives, and spells out the plan for improvement.

Included in the letter are these words: "So will we challenge for the NBA championship this year? Not likely."

Chief marketing officer Ted Johnson says this is part of the team's attempt to establish a new relationship with fans and bring some transparency to how it operates. The franchise has struggled in the six years since Kevin Garnett led the Wolves to the Western Conference finals.

wow, thats funny

BornReady
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
admit defeat before you even start? haillll nawwww :)

90'sNBARocked
09-14-2010, 02:40 PM
admit defeat before you even start? haillll nawwww :)

Or set the bar too high like the BS we have heard from Obies mouth the past 3 years

and have an unrealistic and angry fan base

Dece
09-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't see anything wrong with stating the obvious, other than everyone already knows it.

Brad8888
09-14-2010, 02:49 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/09/14/timberwolves.ad.ap/index.html

Included in the letter are these words: "So will we challenge for the NBA championship this year? Not likely."

This would apply to approximately 26 or so (possibly 28) teams in the NBA this year, so I don't think it is really all that necessary, and other than to provide comic relief for the Wolves it was yet another bizarre move IMO. Only the fans of the official sport of the North woods -- pond hockey -- would believe the Wolves could be competitive, and those people barely realize that the NBA is a significant league.

It is interesting that they went to the trouble of explaining themselves in the media, though.

Unclebuck
09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
This would apply to approximately 26 or so (possibly 28) teams in the NBA this year,

That got me to thinking. Certainly the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Magic all will challenge for the NBA title. Also there will be at least 1 or 2 teams in the west who will challenge the Lakers. Mavs and Thunder most likely.

pacers74
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I think Bird sort of already did this when he announced the 3 year plan.

Psyren
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
They didn't need an ad for people to figure that out.

ChristianDudley
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
The goal for us is to get people to buy tickets and fill up seats at Conseco Fieldhouse, not to drive away the few we already have.

vnzla81
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
No need to do that, fans already knew they were going to suck as soon as Larry said that JOB was coming back :twocents:

Brad8888
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
That got me to thinking. Certainly the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, and Magic all will challenge for the NBA title. Also there will be at least 1 or 2 teams in the west who will challenge the Lakers. Mavs and Thunder most likely.

The Deciders and the Lakers are the likely contenders both from a personnel standpoint as well as a marketing standpoint.

A possible candidate to join them could be the Magic, but if Van Gundy continues to lead them down the path he had them on in the playoffs this past season they are very beatable even in early playoff rounds by lower seeded teams. If the Pacers were to somehow be a 7 seed and play against the Magic with similar systems even the Pacers could beat them if the Pacers' shots fall, and that is not in green font. Speaking of green, the Celtics have an outside chance if they get hot at the right time, but their window has closed considerably. Mavs might surprise, but I don't thnk they can get by the Lakers, and the Thunder aren't quite ready this year despite the continued ascendance of Durant, in my opinion.

Shade
09-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't see any benefit at all to coming out and saying that.

Justin Tyme
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
No need to do that, fans already knew they were going to suck as soon as Larry said that JOB was coming back :twocents:

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

Anthem
09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't see any benefit at all to coming out and saying that.
Depends on what the rest of it said.

If it was followed by "but we have young, talented, and energetic players that we think will grow into an amazing team" then it's not bad.