PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst GM in the NBA?

Shade
08-14-2004, 02:15 PM
This is inspired, obviously, by the mess that has become the Lakers/Celtics trade. :laugh:

Before this, I though Ainge was, hands down, the worst. But now that Mitch has gotten swindled by him, he gets the award. :lolchair:

indygeezer
08-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Dadburn that"s a toughie. I'm gonna hafta consult my ouija board to get that one figured out.

Mitch or Ainge???

I thought Ainge...but the way Kupcake went Doug Christie over Kobe...but Danny freaking GAVE the Piston's a FREAKING RING!!! (I wonder what BIrd has to say to Dannyboy about that??)

Kegboy
08-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Just seeing the topic, before I saw there were only the two, I was thinking through the league. Elgin Baylor gets bad-mouthed alot, but I think he's shown lately he's got a good nose for talent. Not his fault his owner refuses to pay the big bucks. I would throw either of the Paxson's in there, but John did a good job not caving to Isiah on the Crawford trade, and Jim begged Gund not to let Boozer out of his contract. Billy Knight made some bad moves in Memphis, hopefully he can do better in Atlanta now that he's got owners. I think Billy King's done a pretty sorry job in Philly. Dallas will never have a good team if they keep their revolving door going, but I don't know whether to blame that on Cuban or Nellie. Probably both. Seattle's really been bad lately, with their "build through the draft" philosophy, but again, that might be the owners. And that hockey guy down in Orlando is an idiot, IMO.

That said, back to the question at hand. Ainge had a horrible year last year, no question. But, the past year has shown that he probably really did get the best he could for Walker, and it's not his fault Raef got hurt. Word is he aced the draft. I'll believe it when I see it, but it's more than just the Sports Guy talking about what great picks they made. And he swindled LA something fierce.

That leaves Kupchak. Forget about this trade, or trading Shaq and dropping Phil (both I'm sure are Buss' fault, anyway.) What has he done since The Logo left? He didn't effectively replace Glen Rice and A.C. Green, which forced Fox and Horry into starting roles, depleting their once great bench. He flubbed the draft for a couple years, before getting Rush and Walton, whom the juries are still out on. He overpaid for stiffs like George. He did a horrible job on the FA market until he got Payton and Malone, which, granted, was a real coup, regardless of the result.

Yeah, they won two more championships after West left, but I think we can all agree that was set up by Jerry, and they fell apart in large part because Kupchak didn't do even a passable job maintaining the roster. Any team where Slava Medvedenko has to start isn't doing things right.

To steal a local slogan "My Man Mitch" wins this hands down.

DisplacedKnick
08-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Mitch worse than Ainge? I think you guys are whacked.

Dan the Man has managed to trade Antoine Walker for toilet paper (also known as Raef LaFrentz) traded two player who help teams win in Battie and Williams for a dysfuntional loser in Ricky Davis, traded for Vin Baker, the chronic drunk, and didn't he also trade away Joe Johnson?

Mitch has two rings.

MSA2CF
08-14-2004, 04:09 PM
The Worst G.M.?

Well, out of these guys...I'd have to pick George McLeod, only scoring 12 points his entire career.

Gerald Madkins
Guy Manning
George McCloud
George McGinnis
Gil McGregor
George Mearns
George Mikan
Greg Minor
Gene Moore
Guy Morgan
Glenn Mosley
George Munroe
Gheorghe Muresan
Glenn McDonald
George McLeod
Gary Melchionni

:shakehead:

Pig Nash
08-14-2004, 04:26 PM
:laugh:

Pig Nash
08-14-2004, 04:27 PM
i don't know. i think muresean was worse.

Anthem
08-14-2004, 04:27 PM
:rotflmao:

Joel
08-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Gary. St. Jean hands down. The Warriors are a joke with no direction.

kerosene
08-14-2004, 05:15 PM
St. Jean isn't a GM anymore.

canyoufeelit
08-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Sometimes I really have to :rolleyes: at the Ainge hating. I hated the Walker trade as much as anybody and the Rasheed deal (though in the end liked it because it ended up with the Lakers being broken up), but the guy has really turned over the roster and made the future of the franchise a lot brighter. But why does everyone think he's a loose cannon in the office?

Chris Wallace and Rick Pitino were the retards who doomed the Celtics into mediocrity - let's take a look first at some of their AWESOME moves

97 Draft - Selected guards Chauncey Billups (3rd overall pick) and Ron Mercer (6th overall pick) and forward Ben Pepper (56th overall pick).

ouch, this one hurt. The Celtics had the worst record in 97 and had the best shot at drafting Tim Duncan, but the luck of the draw just wasn't there. Now, this wouldn't be so bad because Billups is a good player, but...

Feb 1998 - Traded guards Chauncey Billups and Dee Brown and forwards John Thomas and Roy Rogers to the Toronto Raptors for guard Kenny Anderson, forward Popeye Jones and center Zan Tabak.

LOL

Paul Pierce later fell to the #10 spot unexpectedly on draft night 1998. He was the obvious pick at #10 and was selected, making Wallace seem competent...

Traded guards Randy Brown, Joe Johnson, Milt Palacio and a first-round draft pick to the Phoenix Suns for guard Tony Delk and forward Rodney Rogers.

another brilliant move, if it weren't for Pierce and Walker, the Franchise would be completely run into the ground by this point

Traded guards Kenny Anderson and Joseph Forte and center Vitaly Potapenko to the Seattle SuperSonics for forward Vin Baker and guard Shammond Williams.

:laugh:

Now, why does everyone think Danny Ainge is the worst Celtic GM of even the last 5 years? It's clear the Wallace/Pitino decision-making crew was easily worse

Unclebuck
08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Ainge has made some very strange changes to the a Celtics team that was in the ECF in 2002. But the ownership change also was the cause of some of the changes.

I guess I am willing to give Ainge a little more time.

Who is the worst. I don't know

Unclebuck
08-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Ainge has made some very strange changes to the a Celtics team that was in the ECF in 2002. But the ownership change also was the cause of some of the changes.

I guess I am willing to give Ainge a little more time.

Who is the worst. I don't know

canyoufeelit
08-14-2004, 07:03 PM
The problem with Ainge is that some look at that ECF appearance and think the Pierce/Walker team could have gone further while Ainge and most of his supporters think that team reached as far as it could have possibly gone (by the way, they are correct, when your 3rd and 4th best players are Rodney Rogers and Kenny Anderson you know you're in trouble)

Now, it's not like Ainge has made them into a championship contender or anything, but he has turned over the roster very nicely. Well, it's a lot better of a roster than when the C's had Mark Bryant, Grant Long, Bimbo Coles and Ruben Woklowyski, and Vin Baker! All Ainge has to get rid of now is Waltah McCarty and Yogi Stewart... I'm not saying they'll win as much as Paul and 'Toine could immediately, but in the long run, who knows?

www.celtic-nation.com
www.sonsofsamhorn.com (General Sports) (Hey wow the Sports Guy posts here too)

Look back at previous posts and see how opinion has changed. See for yourself. It's a complete 180, but not many outside of Boston have realized it yet. At least that's what I'm hoping, but until then the Pacers will remain my 'adopted' team ;)

dipperdunk
08-14-2004, 07:59 PM
In Golden State I think Mullen is doing a pretty good job so far.

If you asked me this question last year I would have said Ainge in a heartbeat. However, I think Al Jefferson is going to be the steal of the draft; they have a 4 minute video package of his summer league play on the celtics site and I haven't seen a young player with his traditional back to the basket post skills and knowledge of the game moving without the ball since Tim Duncan came into the league. The kid reminds me of a young Moses Malone, he is relentless moving without the ball and attacking the glass on offensive rebounds. For a young player he has great composure in the post and lets the game come to him. He is an impressive young player and if he develops into a star that would elevate Ainge as a GM. Delonte West was also a nice pick late in the draft.

I don't know if this was mentioned on this board but Larry Bird was going to draft Delonte if he fell to the Pacers. Martelli the coach of St. Joes mentioned it on a sports show in Philly after the draft that Larry was set to take Delonte, Bird was at the St.Joe's/Xavier game when Delonte shot a perfect 12-12 from the field and scored 33 pts, dished out 6 assists and had 5 rebounds.

So it appears it was a very good draft for Ainge. If those guys turn out to be busts then he will be looking for a job.

kerosene
08-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Al Jefferson does look to be a very good draft pick for the Celts. That's interesting about West too, I hadn't read that anywhere.

Kegboy
08-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Mitch has two rings.

Yeah, and Jerry Krause has six. He must be the best GM since Red Auerbach. :rolleyes:

You can't tell me Jerry West didn't gift-wrap those titles for Kupchak.