PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jones Article

Sollozzo
08-14-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/170206-2387-036.html

Pacers Notebook
Jones hopes for OK
Positive report on injured shoulder would allow guard to begin rehabilitation effort.

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
August 14, 2004

Third-year Indiana Pacers guard Fred Jones will be back in Indianapolis Monday to have his surgically repaired left shoulder examined.

Jones said if he is given the go-ahead, he will begin an intense rehabilitation program, just five weeks after the surgery to repair ligaments and the labrum. He hopes to be fully healthy by the first week of October when training camp begins.

"They (the doctors) said everything looked cool after the surgery," Jones said Thursday from Oakland, Calif., where he was a featured speaker at a basketball camp sponsored by Cleveland forward Drew Gooden. "It was a lot more torn than they originally thought, so I was happy we went ahead and got it done when we did."

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle, who said he expects Jones to be "100 percent" by the start of training camp, has been impressed with the way Jones has maintained his conditioning while being limited in what he could do.

"He's actually nine pounds lighter than he was at the end of the season, which is a great indication that he's taking care of himself," Carlisle said. "Make no mistake, Fred Jones is an important guy for our team. He was real steady for us last year. He was excellent defensively and offensively he made a lot of good things happen.

"So despite the fact you see Stephen Jackson and Reggie Miller at that position, he's a guy that's going to have to be ready to play."

First, however, Jones said he needs to take care of a little business next week.

"I've actually got to find a place to stay this season," said Jones, who owns a house in his hometown of Portland, Ore., but rents during the season."But I'll only be in town until Tuesday, so I've got to work fast."

Brewer moving on

Jamison Brewer's career with the Indiana Pacers appears to be over.

Point guards Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson and Eddie Gill are already under contract for the 2004-05 season. Carlisle said second-round draft pick Rashad Wright "will probably be in training camp," as well.

"Our point position is full," Carlisle said. "We've got three guys, which is the number I think we need to carry.

"I would think that Jamison would be in another team's camp," Carlisle said. "We told him he would be welcome to come to camp. I'm just not sure he would do that. I think he would probably pursue other opportunities."

Last season the Pacers carried four point guards on the roster. Brewer was behind Tinsley, Johnson and Kenny Anderson.

The Pacers extended an offer sheet to Brewer in July but he did not sign it and it was later rescinded, leaving the three-year veteran without a contract for the upcoming season.

The Pacers signed Gill after rescinding the offer to Brewer, who struggled during the team's summer league stint at the Reebok Rocky Mountain Revue.

Brewer said he still has not decided where he will be when NBA training camps open, but he and his agent, Leon Rose, are working on the details.

"We're just looking into some different things right now," Brewer said. "I don't know what's going to happen. But you know me, I'm against all odds all the time, so something will work out. I'm not worried about it."

Call Star reporter Sekou Smith at (317) 444-6053.

kerosene
08-14-2004, 07:20 PM
"We're just looking into some different things right now," Brewer said. "I don't know what's going to happen. But you know me, I'm against all odds all the time, so something will work out. I'm not worried about it."

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/00/10/00/03/07/36/100003073673.gif

RimBender
08-14-2004, 11:20 PM
NBDL team.

RimBender
08-14-2004, 11:21 PM
And not a "highgator". Sometimes these two get mixed up. :cool: