PDA

View Full Version : This Jets team....

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
...looks like garbage.

Awful on offense. Painfully predictable on D.

Base cover 2 1st and 2nd down. All out blitz on third.

Not impressed.

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
The odds of the Sanchize leading a game winning drive against the Ravens D have to be a zillion to 1.

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I think Ray Lewis just killed Dustin Keller

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
That was fantastic. This Jets offense is epically bad.

xBulletproof
09-13-2010, 10:34 PM
That was absurd. How does he not put the ball in his other hand and reach for the first down marker in that situation?

That was just DUMB.

DrBadd01
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Lets see you beat Baltimore when you can't beat Houston.

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Let's see the Jets beat the Colts in a game that matters. Still hasn't happened.

DrBadd01
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I should of rephrased that. . . did the jets play like crap. Yes. But the Colts didn't exactly light it up either. lets chalk it up for what it is. . . week 1.

SoupIsGood
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
They looked pretty inept on offense. That last play was hilarious.

pizza guy
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
That was a brutal game to watch. Like Tirico said, that last play was a summation of the Jets' offense all night long. Makes me feel a little better that the Jets lost, though.

ChicagoJ
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Well, I figured there was no way the Jets would be able to move the ball, and that was right. The only question was whether or not the Jets defense was good enough to stop them Ravens offense. It appears the answer is that the Ravens offense -- while not exactly stellar -- was just a little bit better than the Jets defense.

Its a good thing, though, that the Jets didn't need to pick up many first downs on their scoring "drives" (sic) that started on Baltimore's 11, 35, and 37 yard lines. One first down over their three scoring drives.

Ha!

Slick Pinkham
09-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Next week will be worse.

spreedom
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
I don't care how many people he kills... I freaking love Ray Lewis.

Moses
09-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Sanchez looked awful. The Ravens secondary is in shambles right now and he never even tested them.

ChicagoJ
09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't care how many people he kills... I freaking love Ray Lewis.

No opinion on his offfield issues in the past. On the field, in the lockerroom, he's everything you want in a football player.

DrBadd01
09-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Well, I figured there was no way the Jets would be able to move the ball, and that was right. The only question was whether or not the Jets defense was good enough to stop them Ravens offense. It appears the answer is that the Ravens offense -- while not exactly stellar -- was just a little bit better than the Jets defense.

Its a good thing, though, that the Jets didn't need to pick up many first downs on their scoring "drives" (sic) that started on Baltimore's 11, 35, and 37 yard lines. One first down over their three scoring drives.

Ha!

Now that I have had a little time to think about things I wanted to make a couple of points (all the time knowing that it is completely futile on a board of non-jet fans).

1) The Jets played like **** tonight.
2) the fact that the Jets played this bad means that they can improve. Of course every team can improve at something every week.
3) Besides the crappy Offense what killed the Jets today wasn't the Offense (though it wouldn't of hurt). What killed the Jets were the penalties by the defense in the first half. I am not blaming the refs for this; the Jets deserved all the yards they lost in penalties. However, If not for four penalties in the first half the Jets win this game. The Ravens didn't beat the Jets, the Jets stupid penalties beat the Jets. We get rid of the penalties next game we win. It is simple as that.

Day-V
09-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Penalties or not, the defense still only gave up 10 points.

If you can't beat teams that only score 10 points, there's no hope for you come playoff time.

travmil
09-14-2010, 08:16 AM
So, a funny thing happened on the way to the Super Bowl...

Trader Joe
09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
So, a funny thing happened on the way to the Super Bowl...

And that's the key to all of this. If you spend your entire offseason blowing yourselves like the Jets have, you better at least produce ONE third down conversion in your first game.

The reality is this, the Jets were 9-7 last year. They backed into the playoffs and got a favorable draw, but were not able to stand against the Colts. They are still essentially very similar to that team that went 9-7. Maybe they've improved slightly, but they are still not a Super Bowl team. Maybe Santonio Holmes changes this, they desperately need a playmaking receiver and Braylon Edwards isn't that player. Sanchez can't throw a reliable deep ball to save his life and that's where Edwards can be effective. They aren't a good fit for each other.

74 yards passing. 74 yards. That's all that needs to be said.

When Ray Lewis put Dustin Keller on his ***, and effectively ended the game. (Come on no one really thought the Sanchize would convert that 4th down did they?) I wanted to jump out of my seat. The Jets got a HEAVY dose of reality yesterday. They either accept they aren't as good as they think they are and move on, or they can slowly watch their season crumble. They already dug their own graves IMO. The media and the fans have bought into the hype and are going to eat them alive if they fail. You could already hear boos at the end of the first half when they were down 7-6. Rex Ryan didn't walk into a lions den, he built a cave and then invited the lions in for dinner by pumping up this team like he has. The New York media, and I think a large majority of Jets fans would view anything less than trip to the Super Bowl as an unequivocal failure. Tough road for the Jets to move down, but this is what they wanted.

ChicagoJ
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
However, If not for four penalties in the first half the Jets win this game.

Usually, teams have lots of penalties over the first 1-3 weeks of the season as they eliminate the rust. So I might be sympathetic to this.

However, you had 14 penalties for 125 yards.

Wow.

In the Steelers - Falcons game I watched, both teams combined for 7 penalties. And both coaching staffs were appropriately praised for having their teams ready to play and not commit penalties/ mental mistakes.

In other games discussed on PD, the Bengals- Patriots combined for 8 penalties, the Colts - Texans combined for 10 penalites, the Saints - Vikings combined for 9 penalties. You had... 14!?!?

The Ravens didn't beat the Jets, the Jets stupid penalties beat the Jets. We get rid of the penalties next game we win. It is simple as that.

I'd say the Ravens really, really, really, really outcoached you. At least, for that one game. One of the main reasons the Ravens beat you is that they were more disciplined. You can say you beat yourselves, but you're out there leading the league in penalties right now.

And if the Ravens don't give you the ball three times on thier side of the field, they shut you out.

I like your coach, and I think you've got a 9-7 or 10-6 team. But not a Super Bowl contender. And I think Baltimore is a 10-6 or 11-5 team. There are a number of defenses that aren't as good as Baltimore's so you'll be able to move the ball.

Stryder
09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I heard something today that I agree with.

Sanchez will be the next Matt Leinart.

Since86
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I should of rephrased that. . . did the jets play like crap. Yes. But the Colts didn't exactly light it up either. lets chalk it up for what it is. . . week 1.

And here are two MAJOR differences.

It's the Colts. They've been in worse positions and still won 12 games, and considering how last year started out, even went to the SB after horrible starts. They've got history on their side, and while some here like to start thinking about how next year will be better, the Colts will turn things around. The Jets have no history to rely on, which brings me to point #2.

Because the Colts have history on their side, and the Jets do not, the Jets have had to manufacture hype. They've talked themselves into a position to make people care about them. They've banged on their chest and yelled "LOOK AT US! WE'RE BADASSES!!" and then they come out and lay a big fat green egg. If you scream for attention about how big and bad you are, you better back your mouth up.

DrBadd01
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Usually, teams have lots of penalties over the first 1-3 weeks of the season as they eliminate the rust. So I might be sympathetic to this.

However, you had 14 penalties for 125 yards.

Wow.

In the Steelers - Falcons game I watched, both teams combined for 7 penalties. And both coaching staffs were appropriately praised for having their teams ready to play and not commit penalties/ mental mistakes.

In other games discussed on PD, the Bengals- Patriots combined for 8 penalties, the Colts - Texans combined for 10 penalites, the Saints - Vikings combined for 9 penalties. You had... 14!?!?

exactly. Those penalties are what killed us- not the Ravens. We get rid of the penalties, we win. What strikes me as funny is we lose by 1 point to the Ravens, a contender for the AFC title and all of a sudden we suck. The teams that played last night were probably the two best defenses in Football. Last year the Ravens made Tom Brady look bad in New England during the playoffs. Could the lack of offense simply be the fact that it was these two defenses?

I didn't see the Ravens lighting it up on the Jets D. The one touchdown they did score- the difference maker- was the result of Jet penalties, not Ravens offense. We beat ourselves.

One more thing. Yes the Jets like to talk, and perhaps that put a target on them. However, maybe that is just how the play the game. . . you may hate Rex Ryan, but you have to admit you would love it if he were the Colts coach.

Since86
09-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Yep. Loudmouth coaches that can't back up what they say are a premium in the NFL. Every(other) team should have one.

naptownmenace
09-14-2010, 02:01 PM
That was absurd. How does he not put the ball in his other hand and reach for the first down marker in that situation?

That was just DUMB.

He wanted no more of Ray Lewis. He caught the ball and high-tailed it out of bounds, all the while looking over his shoulder to see where Ray was.

I'm not saying that to make fun of Keller. Even if he wasn't scared of the hit, I think his bell was still ringing and he couldn't think clearly about where he needed to get to for the first down.

Only getting 74 passing yards was brutal but their defense kept getting stops in big moments. Shonn Greene was terrible and deserves more blame than Sanchez for their offensive woes. I'm not counting them out of the Playoffs but I think they'll be 0-2 after playing New England this week.

ChicagoJ
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
What strikes me as funny is we lose by 1 point to the Ravens, a contender for the AFC title and all of a sudden we suck.

I've got a hunch there might be a rematch in January. I think those are the two Wild Card teams.

The teams that played last night were probably the two best defenses in Football.

Ahem.

Please don't make the Steelers fan wave a Terrible Towel at a Jets fan on a Pacers/NBA board!!

Mr_Smith
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Not 100% sure but I think the Colts beat the Jets and Ravens last year when it mattered the most. Somebody back me up. I'm not positive though...I'll check footballreference.com.

Isaac
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM

What do the Colts have to do with this?

Since you brought them up though, I would bet anything the Jets game will be more of a indication of how their season will go than the Colts season. The Colts have proven for years now that what they do works (not as many SBs as we should have, but still), the Jets haven't.

Trader Joe
09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
exactly. Those penalties are what killed us- not the Ravens. We get rid of the penalties, we win. What strikes me as funny is we lose by 1 point to the Ravens, a contender for the AFC title and all of a sudden we suck. The teams that played last night were probably the two best defenses in Football. Last year the Ravens made Tom Brady look bad in New England during the playoffs. Could the lack of offense simply be the fact that it was these two defenses?

I didn't see the Ravens lighting it up on the Jets D. The one touchdown they did score- the difference maker- was the result of Jet penalties, not Ravens offense. We beat ourselves.

One more thing. Yes the Jets like to talk, and perhaps that put a target on them. However, maybe that is just how the play the game. . . you may hate Rex Ryan, but you have to admit you would love it if he were the Colts coach.

Flacco threw for over 250 yards. I'd say he did a pretty good job of moving the ball.

I think the fact you're saying you beat yourselves is a joke. Give credit to Flacco, he saw that Cromartie was getting beat like a red headed step child and having to use contact to stay with people and he picked on him.

Flacco and Boldin were the best offensive players for either team last night BY A MILE.

Meanwhile, the Jets couldn't manufacture any offense against a Ravens defense that is missing their best player, aging, and has been questionable against the pass for about the past 2 or 3 years.

Stryder
09-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Logic is your friend, I think not. The transitive property of mathematics does not apply to professional American football.

The Colts have nothing to do with the possible (probable) suckiness of the NY Jets.

DrBadd01
09-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Logic is your friend, I think not. The transitive property of mathematics does not apply to professional American football.

The Colts have nothing to do with the possible (probable) suckiness of the NY Jets.

Did you bother to see my rephrasing of the argument or did you just choose to use the first post?

Slick Pinkham
09-15-2010, 03:08 PM
worth a listen:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/swxQkMvl-4w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/swxQkMvl-4w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

best lines:

"Cromartie has more penalties than three-year olds."

"Your tight end was hit so hard by Ray Lewis he didn't know how many yards there were in a first down."

"You defense harassed that poor Mexican girl more than it did Flacco"

Slick Pinkham
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
a better version:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg13iyuYQ2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lg13iyuYQ2U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>