PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Dunleavy still a Pacer?

Jon Theodore
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
The title is facetious, but seriously has there been a peep about Dunleavy this off season? Usually we will hear some sunshine reports about a player (a la Jermaine O'neal every offseason in the past) who has been struggling in recent years and how they have really turned it around and are in the best shape of their lives, blah blah blah.

I feel like there has been zero talk about Dunleavy this off season, which to me means he is probably toast. All the sports writers don't mention him at all when discussing this team. I have read article after article and almost none of them seem to mention Dunleavy, every once in a while a poster on the board will bring up Dunleavy and in my head I am thinking "Oh yeah Dunleavy is on this team still."

So what is going on here? Is no news about Dunleavy a good thing or a bad thing? I guess any production we get out of Dunleavy this season will be like a bonus, because I have certainly not been expecting much (just based off how little his name is even tossed around anymore.)

Does anyone think Dunleavy can be productive at all anymore?

90'sNBARocked
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
The title is facetious, but seriously has there been a peep about Dunleavy this off season? Usually we will hear some sunshine reports about a player (a la Jermaine O'neal every offseason in the past) who has been struggling in recent years and how they have really turned it around and are in the best shape of their lives, blah blah blah.

I feel like there has been zero talk about Dunleavy this off season, which to me means he is probably toast. All the sports writers don't mention him at all when discussing this team. I have read article after article and almost none of them seem to mention Dunleavy, every once in a while a poster on the board will bring up Dunleavy and in my head I am thinking "Oh yeah Dunleavy is on this team still."

So what is going on here? Is no news about Dunleavy a good thing or a bad thing? I guess any production we get out of Dunleavy this season will be like a bonus, because I have certainly not been expecting much (just based off how little his name is even tossed around anymore.)

Does anyone think Dunleavy can be productive at all anymore?

I honestly dont know whats going on. They have said very very little about Duns, and I know that Obie has a man crush on him. I think one of 3 things:

He is not 100% healthy and ready to go
He is potentailly being traded
They are purposely not mentioning Duns because they are worried if they praise him to much too early and he doesnt deliver

BornReady
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
He is not 100% healthy and ready to go
He is potentailly being traded

I feel like these are the more likely of the two scenarios

Btw, good observation, Jon Theodore.

QuickRelease
09-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I think more than anything, they are focusing the media attention on the players they feel are the core and future of the team. We've done Dun already. The fans are excited about the future, so that's the media focus, IMHO.

Speed
09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking he's in for a really good year, contract year, 2 years removed from injury, full offseason strengthening. You're right, though, we've heard nothing, at all that I can remember.

odeez
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking he's in for a really good year, contract year, 2 years removed from injury, full offseason strengthening. You're right, though, we've heard nothing, at all that I can remember.

I agree, he could have a very good year. He will be playing for a new contract... plus if he plays well his value goes up and maybe we move him mid-season to a contender.

Unclebuck
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
He lives in NY in the offseason. He is a veteran who knows what he needs to do to get ready for the season. The only question is whether his body will cooperative. So there isn't much to discuss about Mike until he statrts playing real basketball.

I wouldn't read anything in to not seeing glowing media reports.

Jon Theodore
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
He lives in NY in the offseason. He is a veteran who knows what he needs to do to get ready for the season. The only question is whether his body will cooperative. So there isn't much to discuss about Mike until he statrts playing real basketball.

I just have to to disagree...to me this off season is the "perfect storm" for a Mike Dunleavy glowing media report. Even if there technically wasn't anything to "glow" about I would expect one.....just because....just to get fans hyped up.

IT would be so easy to do, considering he had that great year that many fans still hold to....an article about Dunleavy "returning to form" is just so obvious to me...like i said even if it isn't necessarily true you almost expect it. I feel like if he had progressed 5% from where he was last year, we would of heard about it. Has Jim O'brien even mentioned the guy this off season?

I hope I am reading too much into it, but I think Dun is tostitos.

Trophy
09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
He's starting this season off healthy which is a good sign he can possibly play like he did a few seasons ago.

For Mike to play like that again, I think he should be starting at SG and be given the time given to him a few seasons ago.

He began playing a lot better as last season was ending.

I think he's a better starter than sixth man.

bphil
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Here's the only thing I've seen from him this summer, an interview with SLAM mag around the end of June...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/06/john-starks-mike-dunleavy-jr-hit-nba-nation/

Relevant quotes to this topic...

SLAM: What have you been doing this off-season?
MD: Just hanging out, doing some traveling, started working out, getting back in the swing of things and getting ready for next year.

SLAM: What are you doing this summer to work on your game?
MD: For me, having been injured the last couple years and now finally being healthy, I get a chance to play more and go into next season healthier. I’m looking forward to that. I think it’ll make a big difference. Not making the playoffs gives you a lot of time to do that so it should be good.

Kegboy
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
They are purposely not mentioning Duns because they are worried if they praise him to much too early and he doesnt deliver

That would be a massive turnabout from how they've acted in the past.

Didn't Wells say something back in July about hearing that Dun was having a stupendous summer, or some other ridiculous adjective? Maybe astounding. It was before the DC trade and I was thinking typical summer BS.

In a perfect world we're getting ready to trade him for a PF. Stranger things have happened (like DC.)

Btw, where are we on the nickname front for Collison. I see DC and can't help thinking Derrick Coleman. :willies:

BornReady
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
That would be a massive turnabout from how they've acted in the past.

Didn't Wells say something back in July about hearing that Dun was having a stupendous summer, or some other ridiculous adjective? Maybe astounding. It was before the DC trade and I was thinking typical summer BS.

In a perfect world we're getting ready to trade him for a PF. Stranger things have happened (like DC.)

Btw, where are we on the nickname front for Collison. I see DC and can't help thinking Derrick Coleman. :willies:

I was looking around a while ago and came across this, not sure if it is legit though

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/the-nbas-best-and-worst-nicknames/

apparently guys in NO call Darren Collison "blur"

Dece
09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Dunleavy's "good" year was the aberration from everything he's ever shown leading up, and since then.

I don't think he's going to play any significantly positive role for this team. Note I said positive, he might eat up a lot of minutes while we wish PG or someone else was out there.

Mark
09-13-2010, 11:44 PM
I feel like the Pacers are pushing the "young guns" mentality this offseason. I sure this has something to do with ticket sales. Murphleavy sure hasn't put fans in the seats the last few years.

All the posters and stuff I've seen have had Granger, Hibbert, Rush, Tyler, George, and even Stephenson on them.

Sookie
09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
I was looking around a while ago and came across this, not sure if it is legit though

http://dimemag.com/2010/03/the-nbas-best-and-worst-nicknames/

apparently guys in NO call Darren Collison "blur"

So "Blur" and "Juice" :laugh::laugh:

Let's see how many random nicknames we can come up with. :laugh:

Trophy
09-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I feel like the Pacers are pushing the "young guns" mentality this offseason. I sure this has something to do with ticket sales. Murphleavy sure hasn't put fans in the seats the last few years.

All the posters and stuff I've seen have had Granger, Hibbert, Rush, Tyler, George, and even Stephenson on them.

Lance? What about Darren?

He's on the "protect the promise" posters.

I think in 07-08, Mike was a fan favorite, but since the injury, he's quickly been forgotten as we added players to take over in his place.

DaveP63
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM

This...Out of sight, out of mind. I think he's a goner, but we'll see.

Speed
09-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Interesting, if Posey does get his minutes at Power Forward, as is being speculated, it opens up wing minutes.

Think about this. With Rush being out to start the season, you could see both Posey and Dunleavy start. That leaves you PG and D Jones backing up. Even with Rush back, it could mean more minutes at PF for Danny.

My point is this, I could honestly see, Obie playing both Posey and Danny at PF, alot. Really almost going with a Point, 3 Wings, and a big. This could start to squeeze out Tyler and McRoberts who are "true" Power Forwards and need minutes for the future.

I'm obviously not fretting over this 13 days before camp opens, but with Obie, I think this is almost likely, not a reach at all.

I see Dunleavy as a Jeff Foster type security blanket for Obie at the wing. This could allow Obie to not play Paul George as much, as well as TH and McBob. So with all that said, I'm for moving Dunleavy sooner rather than later.

Bird has taken away Murphy from Obie, now he may need to take away Dunleavy for the long term good, imo.

Side Note: I'm not going to factor in Lance, at all, until something definitive happens.