PDA

View Full Version : Are the Pacers the youngest team in the NBA?

Putnam
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Not long ago I read a post about the Pacers great youth movement, including Collison, George and Stephenson. the post (which I'm not going to cite) suggested that the Pacers might even be the youngest team in the NBA.

That got me to wondering, so I looked up all the players' ages on Shamsports. I used Shamsports because its the best source I know for current rosters that also provided birthdays for all players.

The Pacers are not the youngest team -- not by a long shot.

http://i54.tinypic.com/6gempw.png

(Note that the vertical axis is shortened here to focus in on the range of actual average team ages.)

There are 12 teams that are younger than the Pacers right now. The Pacers average age is 25.8 years. Minnesota is only 23.6 years old.

The Pacers did pick up two or three good young prospects, but they also picked up James Posey, who is the 28th oldest player in the league, to share his BenGay with the 29th oldest player, Jeff Foster.

Average age for the whole roster isn't the only way to consider which is the "youngest" team. Another way is number of players younger than a threshold of, say, 23:

Los Angeles Clippers
Portland
Oklahoma City
New Jersey
Washington
Minnesota

All these teams have 5 or more players younger than 23 years old on their rosters right now.

At the other end of the spectrum are the teams with lots of players over 30. those teams, with the number of over-30s, are:

Lakers (9)
Miami (8)
Dallas (7)
San Antonio (5)
Milwaukee (5)
Denver (5)
Charlotte (5)
Boston (5)
Atlanta (5)

About the only distinction the Pacers have is the youngest combination of two players. Stephenson is 6th youngest and George is 11th youngest right now. If Stephenson goes to jail or is cut, that distinction will go to Detroit (Greg Monroe and Terrico White.)

It remains to be seen which teams will give young players the most minutes. If George and Collison and Hibbert really stay on the floor, the Pacers could certainly be one of the ten youngest teams on the floor come November.

count55
09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
About the only distinction the Pacers have is the youngest coombination of two players. Stephenson is 6th youngest and George is 11th youngest right now. If Stephenson goes to jail or is cute, that distinction will go to Detroit (Greg Monroe and Terrico White.)

I don't think Lance will get too cute. The Pacers will be watching him too closely.

Putnam
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think Lance will get too cute.

If fixed it. I almost wish I had left it the way it was.

count55
09-13-2010, 11:51 AM
If fixed it. I almost wish I had left it the way it was.

I was talking to my brother, and we agree we both have the same issue - we can spell extremely well...unfortunately, neither of us can type worth a damn.

Really?
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah that should be a given that we are not the youngest team, besides this years picks for some reason we tend to get players that are older in the draft, Rush, Hans, Price, Hibbert all were Sr's when they came out I believe and all were about 23, 24 when they got here...

Trader Joe
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Man, this just reinforces how awesome it would be to be a Thunder fan right about now.

Unclebuck
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I think the key question isn't age or lack of age.

The key question is: what age are your core players. If you assume Collison, Hibbert, Granger as our three best players. it would be more interesting to me to see how those three as a group stacks up with the three best players on other teams.

Of course age is irrelevant if the players aren't good in the first place.

Putnam
09-13-2010, 01:47 PM
It would be more interesting to me to see how those three as a group stacks up with the three best players on other teams.

Yes. You're right about that. I couldn't do that because I don't know enough about every other team to assert which are their three most important players this year. Plus several teams have made significant changes from last year and I couldn't assume how many minutes the new players will get on their new teams.

Putnam
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Of coruse age is irrelevant if the players aren't good in the first place.

Age is irrelevant regarding which is the best team. But all I'm trying to do here is reply to the idea that the Pacers are the youngest team.

ChristianDudley
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I wonder where NJ was on that list BEFORE the Murphy trade...possibly behind OKC?? Maybe not...

bulldog
09-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Edit: Never mind, didn't read the whole post.

RamBo_Lamar
09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Since historically veteran teams win championships, I am very
looking forward to how our youngsters will do in a few years
after they are older veterans ;-)

CableKC
09-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Assuming that we let all of the Expiring Players go ( which happen to be the oldest ones ) and simply look at our future core of Players....what's the age for the Team then?

Los Angeles
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
How young are we when it comes to total years in the league?

Day-V
09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's the Full List

Paul George.............20
Lance Stephenson....20
Roy Hibbert.............23
Darren Collison.........23
A.J. Price................23
Josh McRoberts........23
Tyler Hansbrough......24
Magnum Rolle...........24
Brandon Rush...........25
Soloman Jones.........26
Danny Granger.........27
T.J. Ford.................27
Dahntay Jones.........29
Mike Dunleavy..........29 (Will be 30 on Wednesday)
Jeff Foster..............33
James Posey............33

In other words.........we're pretty ****ing young.

Sookie
09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Assuming that we let all of the Expiring Players go ( which happen to be the oldest ones ) and simply look at our future core of Players....what's the age for the Team then?

Danny Granger -27
Brandon Rush - 25
Paul George - 20
Tyler Hansbrough - 24 (will be 25 early on in the season)
Josh McRoberts - 23
AJ Price - 23 (will be 24 early on in the season)
Darren Collison -23
Roy Hibbert - 23 (will be 24 early on in the season)

Maybe
Magnum Rolle - 24
Lance Stephenson- 20 (just turned 20 actually)

So average age is around 23 right now, it's unfortunate that our best player is our oldest though. But still, that's at least eight players (probably, our preferred rotation) that are pretty darn young.

CableKC
09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Danny Granger -27
Brandon Rush - 25
Paul George - 20
Tyler Hansbrough - 24 (will be 25 early on in the season)
Josh McRoberts - 23
AJ Price - 23 (will be 24 early on in the season)
Darren Collison -23
Roy Hibbert - 23 (will be 24 early on in the season)

Maybe
Magnum Rolle - 24
Lance Stephenson- 20 (just turned 20 actually)

So average age is around 23 right now, it's unfortunate that our best player is our oldest though. But still, that's at least eight players (probably, our preferred rotation) that are pretty darn young.
Between 23 and 24, we'd be bottom 9 in terms of age.

This...or course, brings up whether the FO thinks that we should bring in some experienced Players to balence out the roster. :shrug: