PDA

View Full Version : Some Pacer comments form Hoopsworld chat

90'sNBARocked
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Eric P in Naptown:
Hi Yannis, do you think the Pacers have a shot at getting A. Randolph? Would he be agod addition and what do you think of Tyler Hansbrough playing PF?

Yannis Koutroupis:
I wrote about this last Friday when it was talked about. Love the idea of Randolph in Indiana but I don't expect it to be anything more than an idea. Randolph is someone the New York Knicks have a lot of hopes for, they're not going to trade him away for a draft pick. They're going to give him a chance to tap into his incredible potential, which is what they should do. I think Tyler can be very good in Indiana if he gets healthy, but he's still yet to be cleared and that's concerning to me.

Eric P in Naptown:
Who impressed you more so far Paul Geprge or Lance Stephenson?

Yannis Koutroupis:
On the court Lance Stephenson. Off of it, Paul George just by virtue of not getting in trouble.

Eric P in Naptown:
Yannis, do you think Jim Obrien makes it through the whole season?

Yannis Koutroupis:
Pretty much up to him Eric. If the team produces and plays as well as they should then he'll make it. If they aren't on the same page and a change of philosophy looks like the fix then he'll be gone. I wouldn't have any trouble letting him go at the 30-40 game mark if the team isn't at least 10 games over .500.

Eric P in Naptown:
Yannis, in your opinoin who is the best foreign raised player to ever lace them up in the NBA?

Yannis Koutroupis:
I don't know Eric that is pretty tough... I'm bias to the new school guys because that's who I've seen the most of. I've always heard that Arvydas Sabonis would have DOMINATED the NBA during his prime though and I can honestly see it. His skill level was off the charts, loved watching him play. Dirk and Pau Gasol are my top two right now though. Dirk's great because of his ridiculous shooting ability, while Pau is the second-most fundamental PF in the game behind Tim Duncan. He's just so efficient and versatile, few big men can top him talent wise

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1145#ixzz0z9R5sh2V

Unclebuck
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
This is an incredible comment.

I wouldn't have any trouble letting him go at the 30-40 game mark if the team isn't at least 10 games over .500.

lets do the math, that would mean the team is 20-10 at the 30 game mark that would equate to a 54 win season. Or 25-15 at the 40 games mark - and that would equate to a 51 win season.

And he is suggesting that is the min for Jim to keep his job.

That is crazy.

If the pacers win 54 or or 51 games, Jim will be a top candidate for coach of the year.

Speed
09-10-2010, 02:14 PM
at least 10 games OVER .500, what?

Trader Joe
09-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah I don't know if that was a type-o and he meant to say ten games under .500 or what.

90'sNBARocked
09-10-2010, 02:26 PM
This is an incredible comment.

lets do the math, that would mean the team is 20-10 at the 30 game mark that would equate to a 54 win season. Or 25-15 at the 40 games mark - and that would equate to a 51 win season.

And he is suggesting that is the min for Jim to keep his job.

That is crazy.

If the pacers win 54 or or 51 games, Jim will be a top candidate for coach of the year.

Maybee a little unrealistic, but lets set the bar high

NuffSaid
09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm good for a 51-54 win season. That's certainly playoff caliber basketball!

MyFavMartin
09-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Shouldn't Hakeem be considered as the best foreigner to play in the NBA (and it not even be close)?

Unclebuck
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm good for a 51-54 win season. That's certainly playoff caliber basketball!

With our set of centers and power forwards, there is a ceiling at which this pacers team cannot break through. if everything and I mean everything goes right, I could see the pacers winning 48 games.

As it is and taking everything into account the Pacers PF and centers are probably the worst as a group in the NBA. I am taking into account the injuries, age everything.

And with that, unless you have Chris Paul, Wade and Lebron at the 1,2, and 3 positions, you cannot win 50 games.

MyFavMartin
09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd be happy if the Pacers were around .500 by the end of the season and squeaking into the playoffs at the 7-8 spots.

90'sNBARocked
09-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Shouldn't Hakeem be considered as the best foreigner to play in the NBA (and it not even be close)?

Good point!!

Unclebuck
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Unless there is a trade of some sort, if the Pacers won 40 games this season - in general I would say that is a successful season. They made progress. I would take 40 wins right now

MLB007
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Unless there is a trade of some sort, if the Pacers won 40 games this season - in general I would say that is a successful season. They made progress. I would take 40 wins right now

Not good enough.
There is talent at every position here.
45 wins sounds about right to me.

Unclebuck
09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Not good enough.
There is talent at every position here.
45 wins sounds about right to me.

Talent at the power forward spot? I don't see any compared to other NBA teams. As a group our 4's and 5's are still the worst set of defenders in the NBA. And even our 1, 2, and 3's aren't that good. Still don't have a legitimate shooting guard. The only two positions where we can begin to compete with playoff teams is at the 1 and the 3.

Marlin
09-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Well, to his credit he said "foreign raised". Olajuwon was born in Nigeria, but started playing late and went to college to Houston..so basketball wise he wasn't totally raised out of the US.

MLB007
09-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Talent at the power forward spot? I don't see any compared to other NBA teams. As a group our 4's and 5's are still the worst set of defenders in the NBA. And even our 1, 2, and 3's aren't that good. Still don't have a legitimate shooting guard. The only two positions where we can begin to compete with playoff teams is at the 1 and the 3.

Tyler is a top pick, he lost the better chunk of the season to his illness.
What part of his game do you think inferior?
And totally disagree about the defense.
You don't know that PG won't be a legitimate shooting guard.
Or that Brandon might finally play with consistancy.
If Tyler is healthy and Brandon OR PG show enough, we can be pretty damn good IMO.

So I guess if we make the playoffs your talent assessment skills will be in question?? :p

vnzla81
09-11-2010, 01:58 PM

No wonder why you like JOB you set your goals way too low.:-p

imawhat
09-11-2010, 02:03 PM
As a group our 4's and 5's are still the worst set of defenders in the NBA.

Murphy/Lopez will be worse than any combination we put on the floor. Also, our PF/C defense will be much improved this year.

Still, I see no way this team wins 45 games this year.

dohman
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, to his credit he said "foreign raised". Olajuwon was born in Nigeria, but started playing late and went to college to Houston..so basketball wise he wasn't totally raised out of the US.

it was his soccer background that made him a basketball god. his abilty to move, sprint, jump with authority was far beyond the other big man playing against him. He would still be a top center today and it wouldnt be close.

what about kobe. wasnt he raised over seas? trying to remember.

vnzla81
09-11-2010, 02:35 PM
it was his soccer background that made him a basketball god. his abilty to move, sprint, jump with authority was far beyond the other big man playing against him. He would still be a top center today and it wouldnt be close.

I wouldn't go that far, I saw him playing in pro vs joes he still got the jumper but his legs are not as quick as they used too.

Cactus Jax
09-11-2010, 06:52 PM
The Pacers are much closer to a 30 win team, than a 50 win team at this point imo.

tora tora
09-12-2010, 10:48 AM
The Pacers are much closer to a 30 win team, than a 50 win team at this point imo.

How can that be determined with all the new additions to the roster? It's too early to predict how many wins they'll get until we see these guys play first.

O'Bird
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
... As a group our 4's and 5's are still the worst set of defenders in the NBA.

I think that Indiana has two bigs who are super defenders: Hibbert and Foster.

I have to admit that I never would have guessed that Hibbert could be any better than adequate, but I was wrong, and I for one am really looking forward to seeing how he shows up this coming season. The obvious talent is for shot-blocking and altering shots, but he had a lot of bright moments plugging holes, covering the baseline, and working for position.

I also think that Hansbrough did a remarkable job on D for a rookie, especially with his health limitations. He has great feel for the game, including on the defensive end. I think that it's predictable that we'll see more of him this season.

:

McKeyFan
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I think that Indiana has two bigs who are super defenders: Hibbert and Foster.

I have to admit that I never would have guessed that Hibbert could be any better than adequate, but I was wrong, and I for one am really looking forward to seeing how he shows up this coming season. The obvious talent is for shot-blocking and altering shots, but he had a lot of bright moments plugging holes, covering the baseline, and working for position.

I also think that Hansbrough did a remarkable job on D for a rookie, especially with his health limitations. He has great feel for the game, including on the defensive end. I think that it's predictable that we'll see more of him this season.

:

I'm glad to hear somebody say this. Hibbert gets constantly bashed on here for his defense.

I've seen some bright spots myself, and he defends superstars like Dwight Howard really well.

Peck
09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Tyler's defense was the most suprising thing for me. I was led to believe that he would be at best a mediocre defender but in the few times I saw him play against other bigs I thought he did very well. However as Richard Jefferson proved he is not going to have cat like lateral quickness to defend wing players.

IndyPacer
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm glad to hear somebody say this. Hibbert gets constantly bashed on here for his defense.

I've seen some bright spots myself, and he defends superstars like Dwight Howard really well.

Hibbert's defense is not bad at all. It's the system he's been placed in that's a terrible fit for him. He does have a natural weakness of having limited quickness, which is of course because he's a huge 7'2" center. He needs to be able to stay relatively close to the basket and is just not capable of chasing down quicker guards that have been running past our el matador perimeter defense. What I feel he's really needed is a quick, athletic PF next to him, and although I'm not sure Tyler perfectly meets that description, he's MUCH closer than Troy Murphy. It would be great for Hibbert if he at least has a sidekick inside helping out with interior defense, and improved athleticism, quickness, and defense at 1, 2, and 3 we've acquired over the past few drafts should help reduce Hibbert's foul trouble a great deal. I'm hoping Tyler and McRoberts are actually allowed to play like POWER forwards inside, which is exactly what this team has needed.

naptownmenace
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Tyler is a top pick, he lost the better chunk of the season to his illness.
What part of his game do you think inferior?

The staying healthy part.

I know people who deal with vertigo and they sometimes have trouble walking and running without side effects, let alone playing basketball. It really depends on what type of vertigo he has but vertigo in general is a hard illness to overcome. I'd love it if Tyler can overcome it and play to his potential but I'm not expecting him to play over 45 games this year.

90'sNBARocked
09-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Andrew in Laurinburg, NC:
What do u see the Bobcats doing with Dampier's contract? What kind of trade do u see us doing to get better, maybe Dj for Thompson in Sac. and a follow up to get a starting pg allowing Livingston to gain strength in his knee.

Bill Ingram:
The Kings certainly have more talent than they can use in the front court. . .and Landry is better than Thompson. He'd be a nice fit in Charlotte, but he's also exactly what the Pacers need. They should put together a three-team deal with Ford landing in Charlotte, Thompson landing in Indy and Damp's contract landing in Sacramento. Other pieces would have to be involved, but that's the foundation of a move that helps everyone involved.

I thought this was a trade that made sense for everyone involved

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1157#ixzz0zQmGKcwO

Isaac
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I would loooove to get Jason Thompson only giving up TJ Ford. If Bird was able to turn Ford and Murphy in to Collison and Thompson, he should be a candidate for GM of the year.

90'sNBARocked
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I would loooove to get Jason Thompson only giving up TJ Ford. If Bird was able to turn Ford and Murphy in to Collison and Thompson, he should be a candidate for GM of the year.

Absolutely,

Time well tell

Marlin
09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

Spent his middle school years not far from where I live, when Jelly Bean Bryant played here in Italy. He still speaks Italian, remember him with Vujacic in the Finals?