PDA

View Full Version : MNF adds 32 cameras for goal lines, endzones

Basketball Fan
09-10-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-09-09-open-mikes-nfl-college-football_N.htm

'MNF' adds 32 cameras for goal lines, end zones

ESPN's Monday Night Footballthis season will put goal-line plays under unprecedented scrutiny.

Consider that MNF uses about 24 cameras, which is on the high side for NFL game coverage. Now, it's adding another 32 cameras all trained on the goal line or end zone.

The cameras will be located in areas such as stadium concourses where regular TV cameras, except at the Super Bowl, usually aren't allowed because they'd block ticketholders' views. But these cameras are small about 3 inches in diameter and are unmanned.

The cameras, in clusters of four, won't move. They're just meant to each focus on specific spots on the field, with shots of each of the four cameras combined to create one shot that is expected to have eight times the clarity of a regular high-def TV image.

While ESPN is focused on its own production, the camera shots might have a side benefit that could affect games themselves better replays of goal-line action that could help in instant replay reviews.

Unclebuck
09-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh great. Now replay will take 90 minutes as they check all 32 endzone cameras.

ChicagoJ
09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
THIS is the Ben Roethlesberger rule. The only possible way to overturn a call on the goal line is a camera set up in the exact same plane as the goal line.

Seahawks fans are probably saying, "Its about time." And they're right.

Bball
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't have a problem so much with the length of instant replay looks. ...What I have a problem with is they have now became friggin' commercial breaks. I want to see the various replays for myself and hear the discussion from the announcers... not get a summary and 1 replay when they come back from commercial after the ref has been under the hood.

ChicagoJ
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't have a problem so much with the length of instant replay looks. ...What I have a problem with is they have now became friggin' commercial breaks. I want to see the various replays for myself and hear the discussion from the announcers... not get a summary and 1 replay when they come back from commercial after the ref has been under the hood.

There were a couple of challenges during the game I watched yesterday in which they didn't show any replays to the television audience. Thank goodness I've got TiVo so I can do it myself. But as mentioned in other places, that was one of the most mistake-filled broadcasts I've ever endured.

makaveli
09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Oh great. Now replay will take 90 minutes as they check all 32 endzone cameras.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: