PDA

View Full Version : Tweak to the Payton trade

Vicious Tyrant
08-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Wow, that's bizarre. I guess Payton wouldn't report by a deadline or something. I had no idea that was how things like that got handled.

I checked out a couple Laker message boards and they seem furious. I hope there are no hard core Laker fans here to get offended, but it gave me a nice warm feeling inside....

Kegboy
08-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, JOneal7 will be happy. :laugh:

That's wierd. What in the hell does LA want yet another swingman for? They better hope that euro point they drafted is good.

Shade
08-13-2004, 11:23 PM
:lakers: = :rotflmao: :finger:

Shade
08-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Sounds like Payton "Kobed" the Lakers on his way out the door. I love it. :D

Young
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
I love this. The Lakers keep on getting dumb and dumber.

Banks is gonna be good but they'd rather have Jurmaine Jones? I like JJ and think he is underrattd but no way is he the player that Banks is likely to become soon.

Shade
08-14-2004, 12:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-celticstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- A multiplayer trade between the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics was amended Friday after Gary Payton refused to report to Boston for a physical by a deadline, the Lakers said.

A Celtics spokesman said Boston had agreed in advance to waive the requirement that Payton undergo a physical exam on Friday.

``The team waived his physical as part of the amended trade,'' Celtics spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said. ``It (the physical) obviously became moot as part of this deal.''

The amended trade will now give Los Angeles 6-foot-8 forward Jumaine Jones instead of guard Marcus Banks, and Boston will no longer be required to give up its second-round draft choice.

Lakers spokesman John Black said the trade had to be amended because it was contingent on all players reporting to their new teams for physicals by Friday afternoon.

``Gary Payton refused to go to Boston and do that,'' Black said.

Boston waived the Payton contingency, and in consideration the Lakers had to switch terms of the deal, he said.

The Celtics expect Payton to report for training camp Oct. 4, Bonsiewicz said.

``We felt it was in the best interest of the Boston Celtics to not include Marcus Banks in the trade,'' Bonsiewicz said. ``We're thrilled to have Marcus back.''

Phone messages left Friday night for Payton's agent, Aaron Goodwin, were not immediately returned.

The terms of the original Aug. 6 trade called for the Lakers to send Payton, Rick Fox and a conditional first-round draft pick to Boston in exchange for Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Banks and a second-round draft choice.

:rotflmao: :laugh: :lolchair:

Shade
08-14-2004, 12:15 AM
How dumb do you have to be to get swindled by Danny Ainge? :eek: :lolchair:

Young
08-14-2004, 12:21 AM
How dumb do you have to be to get swindled by Danny Ainge? :eek: :lolchair:

As dumb as you gotta be to lost both Shaq [One of the greatest to ever play, like him or hate him.] and Phil Jackson [One of the greatest to ever coach the game.] all in one summer.

TheSauceMaster
08-14-2004, 01:54 AM
From what I was reading Fox May retire before he Plays for the Celtics , so maybe that's why he didn't show up for his physical :confused::confused::confused::laugh::laugh:

wintermute
08-14-2004, 02:32 AM
seems like payton forced the lakers' hand. by not reporting for his physical, celtics could have voided the trade right then and there. it's not like the lakers preferred jumaine to banks; rather, celtics had the lakers over a barrel, thanks to payton.

Pig Nash
08-14-2004, 02:38 AM
:laugh: :p
oh and welcome back shade.

Joel
08-14-2004, 03:39 AM
It was really Payton that did the screwing here. His failure to report put the Lakers in the hotseat and gave Ainge the power to dictate how he wanted it to go down.

Props to Gary for screwing the Lakers.. Lord knows they screwed him.

RimBender
08-14-2004, 06:58 AM
If I was "the Mitten" I would be embarrased. He is a professional and refused to show up? I mean come on, give me the chance to play for ANYONE when my career is draining down and I would take.

Gary doing this shows his true character.

The "New" NBA sucks, everyone playing for money or where they want to be and if they don't get what they want, they cry and demand trades, etc. Its crazy.

Shade
08-14-2004, 01:46 PM
http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_lakers_14.a0e91.html

Payton, 36, remains the property of Boston. In a phone interview Friday, Payton said he would retire before reporting to Boston.
"I wasn't going to Boston to take a physical," he said. "I ain't going to move my family no more. I can't take my family to Boston. It ain't no disrespect to Boston."

Payton said he'd prefer to play for Houston, Minnesota or the Clippers.

Payton is due to earn $5.4 million in the last year of his contract. If he doesn't report and isn't traded again, Payton would not get paid.

"I don't care about that," Payton said. "If it goes down, I'll quit. I can go on and do something else."

Payton said had he known the Lakers were going to trade him, he wouldn't have exercised his contract option for next season.

"They used me to sign so they could get other players," Payton said. "Boston is going to lose out on this. They ain't going to get (nothing). It's about respect. They (the Lakers) didn't respect me. Why should I respect them?"

So, he refuses to move...unless it's to a place of his choice. :rolleyes:

The Lakers deserved to get screwed by Shaq and Payton. The rest of us knew what kind of people those two were before, but the Lakers org was a bunch of homers and refused to see the inevitable. And now look what it's done to them.

I hope Payton retires. I'm tired of seeing his whiny, trash-talking *** anyway. And the Celtics just wanted his and Fox's contracts anyway, so it's no big loss for them if the two retire.

The Lakers, on the other hand, got completely shafted. Chris Mihm? Are you kidding me? :laugh:

indygeezer
08-14-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm just LOVING this!

Of course I don't wanna see the C's gain the cap savings tho.