PDA

View Full Version : updates from Wells

Sookie
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Looks like Tyler hasn't been cleared to go full force yet? I hope he'll be available at the start of camp.

On the other side, AJ's "back on the court" from the sounds of it he's been cleared to play, but isn't 100%

And they're taking it slow with Foster

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/09/injury_updates_1.html

pwee31
09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
:kickcan:

El Pacero
09-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Roy Hibbert has gotten his body fat down to 10 percent.

- Mike Wells

Sookie
09-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I love Roy, he's easily one of the most likeable guys in this league.

Hicks
09-08-2010, 12:32 AM
If I am to assume Tyler will return and be "okay" health-wise before much longer (and it's fair to not automatically assume that, but nonetheless), I get the feeling he won't be cleared for full contact any earlier than the first week of training camp/pre season.

sportfireman
09-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Well with the uncertainty of our bigs being ready..... we might be keeping Solo and signing Magnum. So which small would we cut...... i like Lance but unless we trade him he may get cut to make room for Magnum. Just a thought..

Hicks
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm starting to wonder if we're looking at TJ Ford as our "roster spot waiting to happen". Either he'll agree to a buyout at the last second, or we'll cut/waive him and just decide that his contract will have to be one that we let burn this following summer for cap room and then focus on offering another expiring in trade talks (Jeff, Mike).

Speed
09-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm starting to wonder if we're looking at TJ Ford as our "roster spot waiting to happen". Either he'll agree to a buyout at the last second, or we'll cut/waive him and just decide that his contract will have to be one that we let burn this following summer for cap room and then focus on offering another expiring in trade talks (Jeff, Mike).

I completely thought this until AJs knee and Lance's arrest. If you drop TJ, not sure where that leaves you.

Hicks
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
I completely thought this until AJs knee and Lance's arrest. If you drop TJ, not sure where that leaves you.

TJ's hasn't worked out and needs to go whether we have 5 PGs or 0. If Lance and AJ are both not available, we'll sign someone else.

Peck
09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Something that was mentioned at the party (I don't remember by who) was that Tyler not being cleared until training camp may be purposeful in the fact that why risk him taking a shot to the head outside of working out with the Pacers in an official capacity.

So I am not going to worry, yet.

However if by pre-season he has not been cleared for full contact then I will start to really worry.

If by the season he has not been cleared and there is no timetable then I will start to panic.

Speed
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
TJ's hasn't worked out and needs to go whether we have 5 PGs or 0. If Lance and AJ are both not available, we'll sign someone else.

I mostly agree, Count55 had a nice article or post awhile back on why TJ won't/shouldn't be back regardless of the circumstances.

It would be nice to just move on.

Speed
09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Something that was mentioned at the party (I don't remember by who) was that Tyler not being cleared until training camp may be purposeful in the fact that why risk him taking a shot to the head outside of working out with the Pacers in an official capacity.

However if by pre-season he has not been cleared for full contact then I will start to really worry.

If by the season he has not been cleared and there is no timetable then I will start to panic.

I wonder if the Shin Splints are completely healthy now? Is that how it works, rest fixes that?

Sookie
09-08-2010, 12:06 PM

I thought Larry's quote suggested they are taking their time with Tyler..being cautionary, at the very least.

With TJ, I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but it sounds like AJ has been cleared to play, just isn't 100% yet. That's probably better than TJ anyway. (Although I hope he's careful and that he's smart enough to know, that any twinge of pain in the knee means he needs to get it checked out..instead of being "tough")

The only problem is..you would think someone would take TJ for something. Maybe at the very least a second round draft pick and a crappy expiring. You hate to lose that amount of money for nothing. (Although, I suppose if we can't trade him, it's essentially the same thing..except he's temptation for Jimmy to play.)

odeez
09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
- Mike Wells

I was getting ready to post this, I think the quote is my favorite part of the Wells update. Roy is the Man!

odeez
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
On the Tyler tip... I hope it is just more caution holding him out, he needs to be in there as our starter or logging heavy mins, but if he still isn't cleared to go full contact, then what can you do? We are definitely in the market for another 4. I think another deal happens soon... I hope...

Speed
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I think a deal gets less likely by the moment, you never know though. Players are starting to gather for training camp in many of the cities. I'd guess most teams want to see what they have at this point, too. JMO.

I'm kinda in the boat to want to see what they have too. I'm not sure you need a superstar PF with this group, just one that can hold his own defensively, mainly, gets me pretty excited.

odeez
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I think a deal gets less likely by the moment, you never know though. Players are starting to gather for training camp in many of the cities. I'd guess most teams want to see what they have at this point, too. JMO.

I'm kinda in the boat to want to see what they have too. I'm not sure you need a superstar PF with this group, just one that can hold his own defensively, mainly, gets me pretty excited.

Yeah, you are probably right, and I agree on the getting someone at the 4 that can hold their own on defense, I was hoping that was going to be Tyler. We will have to wait and see, but the countdown is on till camp!

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM

I still dont understand why NO didnt take him. They have no back up to CP3 and even though we dont like Ford, he has been extreemly professional, in my opinion, throught this ordeal

duke dynamite
09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I still dont understand why NO didnt take him. They have no back up to CP3 and even though we dont like Ford, he has been extreemly professional, in my opinion, throught this ordeal
Trevor Ariza?

Speed
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Agreed, but if you have that deal on the table for DC, you call the League to cement the trade as quickly as you can, if you're the Pacers.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Trevor Ariza?

at back up PG?

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Agreed, but if you have that deal on the table for DC, you call the League to cement the trade as quickly as you can, if you're the Pacers.

excelent point

but if they were at least somewhat intersted, why not reapproach them now?

Unclebuck
09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Anyone else not like referring to Darren Collison as DC. DC is Derrick Coleman in my mind

diamonddave00
09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Then perhaps just call Darren Collison , DC2 his initals and uni number much like CP3 for Chris Paul.

odeez
09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Anyone else not like referring to Darren Collison as DC. DC is Derrick Coleman in my mind

That's right!

Old School with Derrick Coleman... maybe DC2 is a good one?

MLB007
09-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Then perhaps just call Darren Collison , DC2 his initals and uni number much like CP3 for Chris Paul.

And some of us have (had) no clue what any of that meant. I thought "Star Wars" for Paul (C3PO)

McKeyFan
09-08-2010, 03:52 PM

I wouldn't know Derrick Coleman if he came up and asked for my autograph.

Darren Collison can be DC. Derrick Coleman can be a has been.

Speed
09-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Love it, I'm on board.

I'd like to advocate calling AJ Price, "Juice" too. That's what Roy calls him in his tweets.

MyFavMartin
09-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Could go with the whole Star Wars theme:

Roy... Chewy

DC2... R2

DG3... Solo

PG... Luke?

So would that make BRush or Lance Annakin?

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Indy's Hole at the Four: Second-year power forward Tyler Hansbrough has still not been fully cleared by doctors for the Indiana Pacers. Hansbrough has been out since December with inner ear issues causing vertigo. Pacers' President Larry Bird told Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star he's not sure exactly when Hansbrough will be cleared, but intimated it could be soon.

"When they release him to go, he'll go," Bird said. "I don't know when that's going to happen. I know he's got another meeting with his doctors coming up.

"He's in top condition. I don't worry about Tyler as far as being in shape."

It's extremely important to the Pacers that the 13th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft be able to play, because if not they have a gaping hole in their roster at the power forward position. They traded starter Troy Murphy a couple weeks back to the New Jersey Nets in a deal netting them point guard Darren Collison and wing James Posey – a deal they had to make with all that Collison can bring – but the four position is weak.

With Murphy in Jersey and Hansbrough injured, the only other player listed on the roster as a four is Josh McRoberts, someone who to this point in his career has played solid in minimal minutes but doesn't look to be a NBA starter. The Pacers could slide veteran centers Jeff Foster or even Solomon Jones into that spot and start Roy Hibbert at center, but that's hardly ideal. Conversely the team could go small, putting All-Star Danny Granger in that spot, but that is something they would rather avoid.

With 15 players currently under contract (for $64.4 million) for the 2010-11 season (two contracts are not fully guaranteed), the Pacers are somewhat committed to this roster. Hansbrough being healthy is key, because without him they are going to have to scramble and play at least one – and probably multiple – players out of position.

Hansbrough played in only 29 games his rookie season, averaging 8.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in 17.6 minutes while shooting 36% from the field. His minutes and production had been trending steadily upward before the December injury, when he posted back-to-back double-doubles. He tried to play four more games after missing seven, but had to shut it down for the season.

The Pacers will also have to make a decision regarding the third year of his rookie scale contract by the end of October – they hold a team option for $2.1 million. It's likely they pick this up.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17274#ixzz0yyKGbMY3

MyFavMartin
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Key word: "could"

So possibly, Tyler could possibly NOT be activated soon.

Thanks Mike Wells again for bringing more lack of clarity in your reporting and telling us nothing new.

God, I miss Mark Montieth.

McKeyFan
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
God, I miss Mark Montieth.

Nah. He was worse.

naptownmenace
09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Darren Collison can be DC. Derrick Coleman can be a has been.

That was awesome. :laugh:

speakout4
09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Indy's Hole at the Four: Second-year power forward Tyler Hansbrough has still not been fully cleared by doctors for the Indiana Pacers. Hansbrough has been out since December with inner ear issues causing vertigo. Pacers' President Larry Bird told Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star he's not sure exactly when Hansbrough will be cleared, but intimated it could be soon.

"When they release him to go, he'll go," Bird said. "I don't know when that's going to happen. I know he's got another meeting with his doctors coming up.

"He's in top condition. I don't worry about Tyler as far as being in shape."

It's extremely important to the Pacers that the 13th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft be able to play, because if not they have a gaping hole in their roster at the power forward position. They traded starter Troy Murphy a couple weeks back to the New Jersey Nets in a deal netting them point guard Darren Collison and wing James Posey a deal they had to make with all that Collison can bring but the four position is weak.

With Murphy in Jersey and Hansbrough injured, the only other player listed on the roster as a four is Josh McRoberts, someone who to this point in his career has played solid in minimal minutes but doesn't look to be a NBA starter. The Pacers could slide veteran centers Jeff Foster or even Solomon Jones into that spot and start Roy Hibbert at center, but that's hardly ideal. Conversely the team could go small, putting All-Star Danny Granger in that spot, but that is something they would rather avoid.

With 15 players currently under contract (for $64.4 million) for the 2010-11 season (two contracts are not fully guaranteed), the Pacers are somewhat committed to this roster. Hansbrough being healthy is key, because without him they are going to have to scramble and play at least one and probably multiple players out of position.

Hansbrough played in only 29 games his rookie season, averaging 8.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in 17.6 minutes while shooting 36% from the field. His minutes and production had been trending steadily upward before the December injury, when he posted back-to-back double-doubles. He tried to play four more games after missing seven, but had to shut it down for the season.

The Pacers will also have to make a decision regarding the third year of his rookie scale contract by the end of October they hold a team option for $2.1 million. It's likely they pick this up.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17274#ixzz0yyKGbMY3
I don't care exactly when he is activated. i just want to hear that these issues are no longer a problem for him--his vertigo and headaches are gone.

It is hard to understand from this report whether he has residual issues or whether the docs just set a timetable way back that they are going to adhere to. For some reason they just don't say. I would guess it has more to do with ticket sales than privacy rights which to me suggests he still has issues.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't care exactly when he is activated. i just want to hear that these issues are no longer a problem for him--his vertigo and headaches are gone.

I dont know if you can "cure" vertigo ,so much as control it

Day-V
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Roy... Chewy

DC2... R2

DG3... Solo

PG... Luke?

David Harrison.......Porkins.

Kemo
09-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Roy... Chewy

DC2... R2

DG3... Solo

PG... Luke?

LMAO .. Anakin Slytoker

Trophy
09-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Well, they did sign Mustafa Shakur today. :rolleyes:

xBulletproof
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
That's it, I'm applying for Mike Wells job. He knows less than me, I think. If I worked even just part time for half of his salary ... imagine what I could know.

They save some money, and I get a part time job. Everyone wins.

McKeyFan
09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
LMAO .. Anakin Slytoker

Not sly enough.

Speed
09-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Quick blurbs from the Roy interview with Dan Dakich on 1070 the fan from 9/7.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=1161

Roy says:

- McRoberts benched 310 three times, pretty good for a basketball player type build.

- Roy called DC2 (Darren Collison) right after the trade and the first thing DC2 asked him was - what can we do to get better defensively as a team?

Listening to Roy, it give syou a good feeling about the leadership of this team moving forward. Along with DC2s apparent ability in this department, too, it makes me very optmistic.

90'sNBARocked
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, they did sign Mustafa Shakur today. :rolleyes:

LOL

Yes and the are already preparing for the parade after they win the championship

I mean seriously, no disrespect to Mustafa, (cant say this without giggling)

but TJ Ford is a proven PG, I still cant believe he doesnt get more love. He is not as bad as he ahs been made to look here, and has been very professional

Hello is this MJ? Give us Henderson Nzar and a first rounder forTJ and Brandon

Sookie
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
LOL

Yes and the are already preparing for the parade after they win the championship

but TJ Ford is a proven PG, I still cant believe he doesnt get more love. He is not as bad as he ahs been made to look here, and has been very professional

He's a terrible decision maker, and in this offense that can kill you. (And it's not a good thing for a PG.)

CableKC
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
LOL

Screw the additional 1st rounder....I'd settle for Henderson+Nazr for TJ+Brandon+Solo at this point.

Justin Tyme
09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Screw the additional 1st rounder....I'd settle for Henderson+Nazr for TJ+Brandon+Solo at this point.

Yep, that trade would be fine even w/o a 1st. It then opens up a roster spot for Rolle gets rid of Ford and Doobie Rush. Get on board this time MJ! :D

90'sNBARocked
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Yep, that trade would be fine even w/o a 1st. It then opens up a roster spot for Rolle gets rid of Ford and Doobie Rush. Get on board this time MJ! :D

but the question is who is better Henderson or Rush?