PDA

View Full Version : Cops called on Dwight Howard over custody dispute

Basketball Fan
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/04/dwight-howard-nba-orlando-magic-royce-reed-custody-baby-dispute-cops/#comments-anchor

Cops Called on NBA Star Over Baby Dispute

9/7/2010 12:30 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

NBA star Dwight Howard got schooled by cops after removing his child from day care ... TMZ has learned.

0903_howard_dwight_EX_TMZ_01

It all went down on August 26 when Howard -- who is in an ongoing custody war with baby mama Royce Reed -- went to pick up their 2-year-old son. Reed, we're told, flipped out and called the cops because she claimed the custody agreement didn't give Howard the right to pick the child up that day.

Reed showed up at the day care center for a showdown, but Howard had already left with the kid.

The cops called Howard ... and the NBA star explained he and his ex made a new agreement ... giving him the right to cart his kid away that day. But ... after speaking with lawyers from both sides, the cops handed down their verdict -- a new custody agreement was discussed but never signed.

The cops ordered Howard to return the child to the day care center, stat. Howard's nanny -- the Henry Kissinger character -- took the boy back to school and Reed took him home.

Basketball is so much easier ...

UPDATE: A spokesperson for Reed thanked police and school officials for their quick response. He also said the child "was seriously traumatized by the unlawful actions of Dwight and his staff, and Royce will rely upon the Courts to prevent future incidents from occurring."

pacersgroningen
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
*sigh*

ksuttonjr76
09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Ain't that some bullsh*t? I'm sorry, but I have some very strong feelings when women do dumb ***** to keep men who WANT to be a father from being a father. This is Dwight ****ing Howard who came to pickup HIS son. One thing that I will never understand about celebrities is...how is this even an issue of custody given the amount of money he makes?

Basketball Fan
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Ain't that some bullsh*t? I'm sorry, but I have some very strong feelings when women do dumb ***** to keep men who WANT to be a father from being a father. This is Dwight ****ing Howard who came to pickup HIS son. One thing that I will never understand about celebrities is...how is this even an issue of custody given the amount of money he makes?

Because the mother usually gets custody of the child unless she's proven to be unfit add to Dwight being gone most of the year custody goes through her. If anything this should be a lesson in who you chose to share a child with. Its a lifetime commitment.

ThA HoyA
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the kid was traumatized when he saw his dad and left with him... SMH!

ksuttonjr76
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Because the mother usually gets custody of the child unless she's proven to be unfit add to Dwight being gone most of the year custody goes through her. If anything this should be a lesson in who you chose to share a child with. Its a lifetime commitment.

That's the old teachings. Nowadays, it's what's in the best interest of the child. Unfortunely, as Fathers (and men) we automatically "give" custody of the kids to the mother, because of some "belief" women are better parents than men.

As for Howard, I would set it up, so that she would take care of their son when he plays away games. Granted, I don't know how much time are gone during an average week between games, gym, and practice.

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, why is his son in daycare? Daycare and celebrities/athletes seem like they shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Basketball Fan
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
That's the old teachings. Nowadays, it's what's in the best interest of the child. Unfortunely, as Fathers (and men) we automatically "give" custody of the kids to the mother, because of some "belief" women are better parents than men.

As for Howard, I would set it up, so that she would take care of their son when he plays away games. Granted, I don't know how much time are gone during an average week between games, gym, and practice.

That's probably how its set up.

I'm not knocking fathers some of them are better than mothers. Its just how it usually is with the women carrying the child for 9 months and all.

Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Eindar
09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd be less bothered about this story if I wasn't 99% sure that both the day care center and the spokesperson besmirching Dwight Howard weren't both paid for by child support provided by Dwight Howard.

nerveghost
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
isn't this the woman that wanted to be on some NBA Wives reality show or something?

makaveli
09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Surprised they didn't try to slip Indiana Pacers in the story or police blotter. You know something like...."NBA star Dwight Howard, who has played against the Indiana Pacers, was detained.....".

bulldog
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
isn't this the woman that wanted to be on some NBA Wives reality show or something?

Yup. What I find most amusing is that the title of "Baby Mama" now qualifies you to have a spokesperson. Seriously? A spokesperson? Because Dwight Howard knocked you up?

I wish I was famous enough that me hooking up with someone entitled them to a spokesperson.

KennerLeaguer
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm sure the kid was traumatized when he saw his dad and left with him... SMH!

Seriously. The lawyer said the two-year old was "seriously traumatized". Oh, please. Unless the baby never saw Dwight before and mistook him for Big Foot or something I'm guessing he wasn't affected that much from being lifted from a crib.

ksuttonjr76
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Seriously. The lawyer said the two-year old was "seriously traumatized". Oh, please. Unless the baby never saw Dwight before and mistook him for Big Foot or something I'm guessing he wasn't affected that much from being lifted from a crib.

:laugh:...Made my day.

Shade
09-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Reed sounds like a classic Drama Queen to me.

aceace
09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
It seems as though many NBA players have never heard of condoms. I know of one NBA player that has 9 children and 3 of them are 4 yrs old.

Kstat
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM
It seems as though many NBA players have never heard of condoms. I know of one NBA player that has 9 children and 3 of them are 4 yrs old.

...because that applies here...how?

Does Howard have multiple children out of wedlock we don't know about? Is he an absentee dad?

Do any of these women know what condoms are?

Kemo
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM
...because that applies here...how?

Does Howard have multiple children out of wedlock we don't know about? Is he an absentee dad?

Do any of these women know what condoms are?

I am quite positive they do.. lol

I mean COME ON!!! .. If you are an semi-attractive woman , who by some twist of fate , got a chance to sleep with an NBA SUPERSTAR , and you was willing.... The LAST thing you are gonna be worried about is being knocked up by aforementioned NBA Superstar...

If anything , I wouldn't doubt it if some are on fertility drugs.. lol.. that is if they knew it was gonna happen beforehand.. ..

Of course not all women are like that ... But you'd be surprised at the amount that are ... Especially given the big money potential and being set for life , with the best care and environment to raise a child in ..

ya.. this woman though has "crazy (female dog)" written all over her ..

nuttier than a squirrel-turd

2 french-fries short of a Happy-Meal

Kstat
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
This reminds me of women having discussions about unfaithful men...

"not EVERY man cheats, but most do..."

BornReady
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
This whole story sounds like its been blown way out of proportion. Dude picks up son under a premise that he's allowed to, turns out he's not allowed to, and son gets taken back.

Mama probably screamed and cussed more than she should have, but in the end nothing really comes of it.

I do feel sorry for Dwight though. Looks like they're trying to make him out to be a freak or something.

Kstat
09-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I do feel sorry for Dwight though. Looks like they're trying to make him out to be a freak or something.

And that's the whole point. It's not about custody. It's about Howard's ex trying to hurt him personally, since he already blocked her from profiting off of his name.

I'd think implying to the world that his own son is afraid of him is probably about the cruelest thing she can do without actually breaking the law.

When you break it down, this is really no different than most other divorces, just without there being an actual marriage to begin with.

speakout4
09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Perhaps Dwight could have found someone who he would want to share his life and children with?

Just perhaps. Feel sorry for the kid.

Kstat
09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
...because parents who get married are destined for success and happiness...and parents who don't get married are doomed to misery?

speakout4
09-07-2010, 06:55 PM
...because parents who get married are destined for success and happiness...and parents who don't get married are doomed to misery?
That's just a bull.... statement and you know it. How many studies do you need to have done that say the nuclear family is crucial for childhood development?

Kstat
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Involved parents are crucial. A standard "nuclear" family? Not as important.

I've seen kids ruined for the sake of a "nuclear" family setting that was obviously toxic.

speakout4
09-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Involved parents are crucial. A standard "nuclear" family? Not as important.

A standard nuclear family is still preferable to a non-nuclear family. For many generations until recent times, fathers worked much more than 8 hour days, more than 5 days a week and left much of the child-rearing to the mother. No little league dads or anything of that sort. Such fathers are euphemistically called 1950s dads and still families seemed to work and instill parental values.

Kstat
09-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Talk about the golden days of ignorance....

The 1950's were great, as long as you were white and male. Then again, you could say that about most periods of time leading up to the 1950's as well....

Hicks
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM
This isn't headed anywhere good.