PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James Jersey donation derailed by politics

Basketball Fan
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/juice/2010/09/lebron_james_jersey_miami_homeless_derailed.php

LeBron James Jersey Donation Derailed by "Politics"
By Lisa Rab, Fri., Sep. 3 2010 @ 11:43AM
Comments (6)
Categories: Celebrities, Sports
Share30
Thumbnail image for lebron cleveland jersey.jpg
Flickr user: Keith Allison
We don't want your stinking jerseys.
​The Summer of LeBron just got weirder.

In July, a group of guys in Northeast Ohio launched a campaign to collect LeBron James' old Cleveland Cavaliers jerseys and send them to homeless people in Miami. It seemed like a wholesome idea. Clevelanders were so pissed off at the King's betrayal of his hometown to join the Heat, they were burning formerly treasured polyester heirlooms in the streets. Why not turn that anger into charity?

There was just one tiny problem. Homeless advocates
in Miami didn't want tainted goods.

"It's on hold right now," says Rita Clark of the Miami Coalition for the Homeless. "There's a lot of politics around this."

The coalition had been in talks with the Cleveland do-gooders but ran into some resistance here in South Florida. Apparently, a marketing plan based on the concept of Here -- take a bunch of stuff we hate! wasn't particularly appealing. Clark says she heard that Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado was opposed to the donation plan.

"It seemed very well-intentioned, but it's not gonna happen right away," Clark says. "I'm trying to help them be better-received here in Miami."

Regalado hasn't yet returned the Juice's calls.Chris Jungjohann, one of the organizers of the donation drive in Cleveland, didn't respond to a request for comment.

His group's Facebook page, Break Up With LeBron, last posted an update on August 3. It's been silent ever since.

gummy
09-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah, because if there is anything homeless people are in dire need of it's NBA jerseys. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I thought this was from the Onion at first. Wow.

King Tuts Tomb
09-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I don't blame them for not taking the jerseys. I wouldn't want thousands of Patriots jerseys flooding Indianapolis.

Basketball jerseys aren't even comfortable anyway. They're more ornamental than anything.

naptownmenace
09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
This remind me of the episode of Seinfeld when they wanted to donate the leftover bottom parts of muffins from the bakery that sold muffin tops to the homeless shelter and they were rejected because they didn't want the bottom parts either.

I can understand why they wouldn't want those jerseys in Miami considering the hate that surrounds them.