PDA

View Full Version : Should Brandon announce he is quitting pot?

McKeyFan
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
We haven't heard a peep from Brandon publicly.

I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot. An apology would also be nice.

Does anyone disagree with this?

Kstat
09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
A public apology would be a good idea, but to publicly announce he's giving up pot?

It's a terrible idea. I'd actually respect him less if he did this.

I'm not saying he should go on record saying he won't give it up, but come on now. That's going way overboard and nobody's going to see it as genuine.

Just stop smoking during the periods where they test for it. Everybody wins. No need for a big grandiose morality play to get on the public's good side, and making promises you aren't going to keep.

sportfireman
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
If he's not stopping then no he should not come out and say he sorry for smoking pot. Maybe something like "I'm sory I was caught smoking pot."

Kstat
09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
He shouldn't apologize for smoking it in the first place. He should apologize for letting his team down, and thus his fanbase.

PR07
09-05-2010, 09:00 PM
He should privately apologize to his teamates. As far as the public is concerned, I think the less noise that is made out of this, the better.

spreedom
09-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd settle for him not failing any more drug tests.

McKeyFan
09-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Just stop smoking during the periods where they test for it. Everybody wins. No need for a big grandiose morality play to get on the public's good side, and making promises you aren't going to keep.

So you don't think he should quit smoking pot? It's illegal. It's against NBA rules. Is this how most people on this forum feel?

dohman
09-05-2010, 09:32 PM
So you don't think he should quit smoking pot? It's illegal. It's against NBA rules. Is this how most people on this forum feel?

See Brandon rush thread.

Would yu really want him to be a lair as well?

Mr. Sobchak
09-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Yes...or that's at least how I feel. I really don't find it to be a big deal at all - as long as it doesn't lead to any more prolonged suspensions.

Kemo
09-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Would yu really want him to be a lair as well?

WHO is this Yu guy , and WHY would he want brandon to be in a lair?

hehehe..... sorry .. :dance::dance::buddies:

2minutes twowa
09-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I think he should apologize to the team and fans for hurting the team. Pot should be legalized and I find it ridiculous that it's not, but rules is rules. I would say that the majority of rich and famous people enjoy pot every now and then. They have nothing to fear but a possible fine. So if a pro athlete smokes it, it doesn't distress me or surprise me. Just follow the rules.

BlueNGold
09-05-2010, 09:53 PM

I think he should quit smoking pot for a variety of reasons...one because it supports criminal enterprise. I'm not saying I support or do not support legalization. That's for another thread. Other reasons include: I think it a) may take needed focus away from his preparation and b) may actually impact his game on the court and c) might have some impact on his health. Some of these issues may be very minor I know, but I think at least a couple take away from his potential.

Otherwise, I think he should apologize for his lack of commitment to the team, but not say anything to the public. I think the public might be owed some apology, but I don't think there's much real value in doing that...and I think it is more likely to hurt him in the eyes of the public...a group of people that probably will not notice he's been suspended.

daschysta
09-05-2010, 09:59 PM
He should apologize to his teammates certainly, not for smoking pot in general, but for doing it in such a way as to become suspended.

He really does not owe the public an apology imo, certainly not for smoking weed in the first place. Perhaps an apolgy along the lines of letting down his team and transitively his fanbase. It really isn't neccesary or a good idea to pledge to stop smoking pot altogether.

1. It would absolutely bury him if he ever got caught again.
2. It wouldn't come off as genuine, the guy has already got caught enough and the public wouldn't even know about it otherwise, he should just let his actions do the talking.

pacers74
09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
He should quit smoking pot. What has it gotten him. Supended 5 days and making himself look like an jerk. It is illegal to smoke it, who is to say he won't get arrested for having weed in the car or something like that. If you don't quit when you have already tested positive twice, then you have a problem. I know most people think Marijuana is not addictive, but of he have an addictive personallity then you can become addictive to a lot of stuff, Marijuana being one of them. If the NBA only tests him during the season, which I would think not that he has been busted 3 times, they should be able to test him whenever they want to. The road he is going down it looks like it is going to get worse for him not better.

I think by reading number 6 on the NBA and NBAPA Anitdrug Program, I think they can test him whenever the want to, or the treatment facility can.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

6. Treatment

Any player that enters the program must comply with the in-patient and aftercare ordered by the Medical Director, including, but not limited to, random testing for prohibited substances and alcohol. If a player seeks treatment outside the program, he may be required to be tested without notice.

pacers74
09-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Now about announcing it or not, I could care less just quit and never test positive for it again.

littlerichard54
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
No need to apologize....this positive test was simply due to underachieving athlete syndrome....he didn't actually smoke pot. Write that down....it is similar to Brian Cushing syndrome, but opposite.

docpaul
09-05-2010, 10:36 PM
We haven't heard a peep from Brandon publicly.

I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot. An apology would also be nice.

Does anyone disagree with this?

Actually, we have "heard" something from Rush, via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/IamThaKing25

pacerhowell317: @IamThaKing25 Dude Please dont give this team a bad image! We arent thugs! Act like you care! Pacers have Passion and Pride for the game!!

IamThaKing25: @pacerhowell317 I care. Just made a few mistakes n my life n that was a big one. I just hope ppl can get passed it.

pacerhowell317: @IamThaKing25 Ur still cool in my book I just dont want this to team 2 go back to those days. Our friend Lance Stephenson needs to learn too

IamThaKing25: @pacerhowell317 thanks, man. Good to hear that from a pacer fan

Notice he doesn't say that he's done. Totally a frustrating one for me... as the kid has got natural skills.

15th parallel
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
He need not to do a public apology. It will just be another media distraction. What he needs to do is just stop using it, talk to Bird and company and to the whole team and apologize, and just use the remaining time in the offseason improving his play and conditioning, just like Roy, George, Hans, AJ and Danny.

Trophy
09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
It wasn't as big of a deal as when he was arrested in college for driving drunk, but he should at least say he'll try and quit smoking in front Bird and/or his teammates.

Young
09-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't think Brandon should announce he is quitting. I know at least I wouldn't believe him if he said that.

I understand that players will smoke pot among other things. That in itself really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the getting caught thing. From what I understand had he just waited until after April he wouldn't have got caught 3 times, correct?

And getting caught 3 times is like saying he doesn't care. Which he probably doesn't and that's too bad. It's sad because I think most people on here care more about the Pacers than some of the players. Since 2004 this crap hasn't stopped it seems like. I wish these players cared half as much about the Pacers, their career, as the posters on here do. Show some appreciation for your gifts and some understanding that this crap has gotten old.

spazzxb
09-06-2010, 12:02 AM

http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_indiana.htm

Sorry but as long as taking a bath in the winter is illegal, and a 17 year old going barefoot in an 18 year olds car are illegal the "because its illegal argument is bunk." I am sure you do one of the things on this list. Ever stand in a bar?

Bball
09-06-2010, 03:58 AM
http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_indiana.htm

Sorry but as long as taking a bath in the winter is illegal, and a 17 year old going barefoot in an 18 year olds car are illegal the "because its illegal argument is bunk." I am sure you do one of the things on this list. Ever stand in a bar?

I call shenanigans and internet legends on many of the alleged 'laws' at that site.

There might be some weird ordinances in some towns that need appealed but show me the Indiana Code for these alleged 'state laws'.

Even if they did exist (which they don't), how many would stand up to Constitutional review? And besides that, they are supposedly no longer enforced... which creates a problem with the premise that they suddenly absolve Brandon Rush of any wrong-doing.

First, there is no question of Constitutionality here. The NBA can clearly ban pot and there are laws against its use as well.

That said, laws evolve over the years and maybe one day pot won't be illegal. But today it is. And even if it was legalized the NBA could still ban it.

Whether Brandon needs to give up pot for his own good is a question I can't answer. Being an athlete and getting busted for dope 3 times doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he doesn't have a substance abuse problem and NEEDS to walk away from it. He knows it's off-limits, can hurt his long term career if caught, can hurt his short-term career (and wallet) if caught... and yet he was caught using 3 times. That doesn't sound like a recreational user that can take it or leave it and can save his tokes for the off season.

But I don't think he needs to make a big deal out of this for us and proclaim he's going lay off it... instead he needs to do it for himself.

McKeyFan
09-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Why are you guys upset with Brandon failing the drug test if you don't believe he needs to stop using drugs?

Isn't "the right thing" to stop using drugs? If you are not upset with him for failing to do the right thing, are you merely upset that he was not clever enough in the way he went about using drugs?

Doesn't that just blur everything? How can there be a standard when it is only based on what is deemed clever or not clever? Isn't being illegal or against NBA rules a better standard?

daschysta
09-06-2010, 10:36 AM
1. Announcing an apology just brings more media attention we don't need.

2. If he failed again after apologizing it would just make the pacers worse.

3. There is no "right" or "wrong", many people question why it is illegal, and many many many NBA players smoke from time to time, likely even "high" character guys we know and love, we don't have a problem with them smoking if it doesn't effect their games, or lead to suspensions.

4. Brandon is no different, most people don't care what he does in his free time, tons of people smoke pot, presidents have smoked pot, it realy isn't that big of a deal.

5. Essentially people have a bigger problem with brandon being dumb enough to be caught 3 times when he knows that the team has every right to test him randomly during the season.

This is not to say that there aren't other reasons why brandon shouldn't quit pot personally, and it is perhaps indicative of a systematic problem if he cannot stop long enough to stop getting caught this much, but the actual act is less important than the punishment that is detrimental to the team.

If everyone else can avoid getting caught why can't Brandon? That is the bigger issue, and a better argument for why he should stop in this context than some moral diatribe against the substance itself.

Pacerized
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Brandon should apologize to his teammates and fans for letting them down. He shouldn't smoke pot again while he's in the NBA because this is part of the rules of the NBA and it has a negative impact on the team when he's suspended. You except rules with any employer just as you do a dress code. I don't think there is a moral issue beyond this.
It is a violation of Federal law for now but that doesn't make it wrong. It's an issue that is changing yearly with 14 states having medical marijuana laws. Where I live in Colorado several large counties have gone farther and decriminalized it, and the state generates a lot of tax revenue from the dispensaries. It's only a matter of time before the federal government acts similarly and goes after this huge tax engine waiting in the wings.

Putnam
09-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I think he needs to quit smoking pot, and announce publicly that he is quitting smoking pot.

I'd rather Larry Bird announce he's quitting Brandon Rush.

I don't expect that to happen, and I don't expect any other posters to agree. But that is what I would like to see. I don't really care what Brandon does hereafter.

HC
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd rather Larry Bird announce he's quitting Brandon Rush.

I don't expect that to happen, and I don't expect any other posters to agree. But that is what I would like to see. I don't really care what Brandon does hereafter.

I have to agree with you to an extent. How many of you have been given this many chances, and walked away with your jobs? Just because he can play basketball does not give him a free pass to be ignorant. He needs to be held accountable, moreso than sitting out for five games. What is that going to solve? To me it is just another slap on the wrist. Why continue to enable him? I don't care if he gets high or not personally, but it is the law. The average person suffers serious consequences for marijuana, and so should he. Furthermore, as another poster stated, even if it was legal the NBA would ban it. All I see here from Brandon is a ongoing cycle of not caring about the rules or the consequences of breaking them. In my eyes Brandon has shown a complete lack of respect or awareness in matters pertaining to the association, the Pacers, and us the fans.

owl
09-06-2010, 12:47 PM

If he really wants to quit and honestly admit he has a problem with it then, yes he should
announce it publicly. I he just wants to avoid failing tests then I don't want to hear anything.

owl
09-06-2010, 12:55 PM
And then release him at the end of the year or trade him if his play and decision making
ramain impaired.

cdash
09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
No, because he will look like an even bigger dumbass when he fails his fourth drug test.

mildlysane
09-06-2010, 01:54 PM
[cough, cough]Dudes, I am here today to anounce that I, Brandon Rush, has...uh...uh...what was I talking about?!"

vnzla81
09-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I rather he announce that he is going to be more aggressive offensively.

daschysta
09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Maybe quitting pot would help with that ;)

xBulletproof
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Holy crap our past troubles have some ready to dump anyone over anything. Don't look at a camera funny Granger! You'll be next!

Can you say overboard?

speakout4
09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Holy crap our past troubles have some ready to dump anyone over anything. Don't look at a camera funny Granger! You'll be next!

Can you say overboard?
The high level of criticism is reserved for those who commit explicit crimes regardless of whether fans think they are crimes or not as in the case of Rush..And if Rush had simply smartened up the first or second time he would not be receiving this criticism.

So Danny is in no trouble. Not to worry.

BlueNGold
09-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Can you say overboard?

I would have to say, yes, I think purging Rush is probably going overboard. Should he stop smoking? Yes. Does it hurt his game? I think so. However, he's still good enough to make it worth the baby sitting fees since he doesn't do other stupid things we've seen in the past.

At the same time, I think the Pacers should put him on the block. No hurry to trade him, but if you can replace him with a player of equal talent who does not have this particular issue, you do it.

Unclebuck
09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Yes he should apologize, yes he should quit his use altogether, yes he should admit he was wrong to smoke the stuff to begin with.

Can't really say much else without getting into areas we don't dicsuss in this forum.

ChicagoJ
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't care about the legality of it. Since all of the marijuanna advocates tell us its not chemically addicting and that he/ they/ anyone can quit at any time... and since there are rules prohibiting NBA players from using it -- but only during the season and not during the offseason... then the message here is that he'd prefer to smoke dope than be eligible to help his team. It can't be the drug's fault, so its all on the user. Like everything that involves marijuanna, 100% of the blame goes the self-centered user not the substance itself.

He doesn't us the fans an apology. He owes his team and teammates an apology. He owes it to them to quit using, so that he doesn't risk letting them down again.

This is obviously the first time the Pacers were made aware (although they might have suspected his use), so I can understand if they let him back into the lineup when his suspension ends. Its the "next" time - now that his employer knows and even worse, the public knows, how little he respects his teammates - that's a big deal. If he gets in trouble for this again, he should be banished to the end of the bench. Something that the Pacers have gotten pretty good at doing.

Let's see how he responds.

Chris Mullin was drinking himself to oblivion and got help from himself and had a long, productive career.

spazzxb
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I was just trying to react to the aurgument saying its wrong because its illegal. For his own financial security it is not a good or smart thing for him to be smoking. I am just a person who thinks right and wrong have a higher meaning than legal illegal. Laws are created by politicians who typically care nothing for the well being of society only there personal interest. In perfect world laws would trully be meant to protect the people and they would then not need to fear the badge or red and blues. In reality laws are about control and money (research who fought to make it illegal in the first place 60 years ago or so).What Brandon is doing is, however, bad business and hurts our team. If he wasn't a member of the pacers his smoking would be none of our business. Since he is, and it hurts our team, it is very disappointing.

I call shenanigans and internet legends on many of the alleged 'laws' at that site.

There might be some weird ordinances in some towns that need appealed but show me the Indiana Code for these alleged 'state laws'.

Even if they did exist (which they don't), how many would stand up to Constitutional review? And besides that, they are supposedly no longer enforced... which creates a problem with the premise that they suddenly absolve Brandon Rush of any wrong-doing.

First, there is no question of Constitutionality here. The NBA can clearly ban pot and there are laws against its use as well.

That said, laws evolve over the years and maybe one day pot won't be illegal. But today it is. And even if it was legalized the NBA could still ban it.

Whether Brandon needs to give up pot for his own good is a question I can't answer. Being an athlete and getting busted for dope 3 times doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he doesn't have a substance abuse problem and NEEDS to walk away from it. He knows it's off-limits, can hurt his long term career if caught, can hurt his short-term career (and wallet) if caught... and yet he was caught using 3 times. That doesn't sound like a recreational user that can take it or leave it and can save his tokes for the off season.

But I don't think he needs to make a big deal out of this for us and proclaim he's going lay off it... instead he needs to do it for himself.