PDA

View Full Version : Cavs showing interest in Pollard?

Unclebuck
08-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Nothing really new here, but this article is decent so I thought I would post it.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12686379&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

Backup center still in Cavaliers' sight

Bob Finnan Staff Writer 08/13/2004

Team, league waiting on Dampier

The entire NBA seems to be on hold until Erick Dampier makes up his mind.

The unrestricted free agent center is negotiating with several teams in the league. But until he lands somewhere, none of the other big men seem to be going anywhere, either. Teams vying for Dampier include Atlanta, Memphis, Indiana and New York.

Even though the Cavaliers are not entered in the Dampier sweepstakes, they seem to be locked in an impasse until he finds a home. One source said Dampier might sign a one-year deal for the mid-level exception this summer and become a free agent next summer.

According to a league source, the Cavaliers have targeted Iakovos Jake Tsakalidis to be their backup center behind starter Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
The 7-foot-2, 285-pounder is a restricted free agent. The Grizzlies hold his rights, but would like to use him and power forward Stromile Swift, another restricted free agent, in a sign-and-trade with Golden State for Dampier.

Memphis president Jerry West is hoarding players like chess pieces. He has 16 guaranteed contracts now, not counting Tsakalidis and Swift. West can't keep more than 15 on the roster once the season starts.

The source said the Cavaliers don't appear to be in any hurry to sign a backup center. They are willing to let the scenario play out with the Grizzlies. If Memphis can't get anything done or decide he's not in its plans, there's a remote possibility it could drop the restricted designation on Tsakalidis.
Another restricted free agent available is Atlanta's Joel Przybilla (7-1, 255), but he's been injury prone in his career.

One center that can be had in a trade is Indiana's Scot Pollard (6-11, 265), although Atlanta is also interested in trading for him. He has two years and almost $12 million remaining on his contract, which might scare off the Cavaliers. Indiana might be so willing to dump Pollard's salary that it would take back a draft pick and money for his services.

Cleveland has about $4 million remaining on its mid-level exception this summer. The Cavaliers had some interest in Tsakalidis in the 2000 draft, but were scared off by a contract snafu with his team in Greece (A.E.K.). He ended up being drafted 25th overall to Phoenix.

Tsakalidis, from the Republic of Georgia, could demand a contract in the neighborhood of $2 million or $3 million this season.

Tsakalidis, 25, is one of the strongest players in the league. With Shaquille O'Neal coming to the Eastern Conference this season, he'd be a welcomed addition to the team. However, he's very limited offensively.

The Cavaliers supposedly don't want to take on any long-term, hefty contracts so they'll have salary-cap flexibility next summer.

They could also sign a veteran center like Sean Rooks or Corie Blount, if they choose to go the cheap route.

bread
08-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I certainly wouldn't mind dumping Pollard's salary but I think the "bird in hand" rule applies here. We had better have a gauranteed deal for another big man before we let Polly go. Otherwise we could be only a Foster injury away from having Harrison as our only big man behind JO. :shudder:

indygeezer
08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
HAdn't heard before that Atlanta was interested in Polly. Know nothing about Tsakalidis but not having an offense but being strong sounds interesting.
What do ya think, could he fill the BIGMAN role I've been crying about?

blanket
08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
thanks for posting this - it's good to see the Cavs' interest in Pollard made official. Also, Atlanta being interested in him is news to me, but since they're under the cap, I could see a scenario where Dampier signs a one year deal with us for 1/2 the MLE and then we trade Pollard to Atlanta for a 2nd round draft pick or two. interesting...

Ragnar
08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I dont see dumping Pollard as any loss. First of all Cro is ahead of Pollard in the center rotation. So we would be in trouble if Foster J.O. and Cro all got injured but frankly I think AJ could play the center position better than Pollard has.

If they can get a draft pick and cash they should jump on it. In my book we should be the ones sending cash and a draft pick to get rid of him.

Outsider
08-13-2004, 11:14 AM
thanks for posting this - it's good to see the Cavs' interest in Pollard made official. Also, Atlanta being interested in him is news to me, but since they're under the cap, I could see a scenario where Dampier signs a one year deal with us for 1/2 the MLE and then we trade Pollard to Atlanta for a 2nd round draft pick or two. interesting...

or Damp signs with Atlanta knowing he will be traded to Indiana come Dec. 15. Maybe we would have to send one of the Jones with Pollard to Atlanta to make the exchange, who knows?

ChicagoJ
08-13-2004, 11:15 AM
If they can get a draft pick and cash they should jump on it. In my book we should be the ones sending cash and a draft pick to get rid of him.

That's the truth. :cool:

Young
08-13-2004, 11:59 AM
I'd like a deal with us swaping Pollard for Newble if we do end up trading Ron for Peja.

But we would still need another big man.

I think Malik Rose is avaliable in San Antonio. Maybe they'd have interest in Croshere? Neither have a good contract. Cliff Robinson in GS could be had, maybe. Of course maybe we could get Damp to take the MLE, although I don't know if we even have it still.

Snickers
08-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Keeping him may not help us, but dumping him won't either. Dropping his salary won't put us under the cap, will it?

I'd rather keep him and all his hilarious interviews than dump him for nothing.

Ragnar
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
rommie we cant sign Damp to the mid level because we used part of it on AJ.

Edit---- Snick it wont put us under the cao but it would take us out of the LT range. Paying the LT to keep Pollard seems a little stupid to me.

Young
08-13-2004, 12:31 PM
rommie we cant sign Damp to the mid level because we used part of it on AJ.

Edit---- Snick it wont put us under the cao but it would take us out of the LT range. Paying the LT to keep Pollard seems a little stupid to me.

Ahh damn it. I wasn't for sure if that counted as the MLE or not. I know now though.

SOB. So basicly the best opition for a center is gone? Unless we get GS tot take Pollard because it seems we wont trade Bender for him.

Kegboy
08-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Umm, I don't know. The thought of Croshere "guarding" Shaq frightens me to no end. If we still had Peanut Butter, I might consider it. ;)

And yes, I'm serious about PB. Well, sort of. :devil:

Also, it should be noted that Donnie hates giving up something for nothing. That's why he never "dumped" Croshere, he wanted value in return. Plus, I think that's why he caved on the S&T for Pollard to begin with.
[edit=67=1092419627]