PDA

View Full Version : Lance not allowed in Conseco

bphil
09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
This is so weird. Two tweets from Mr. Wells...

Pacers taking strong stance with Lance Stephenson. He hasn't been permitted to workout at Conseco since his alleged incident last month.

Stephenson is working out with asst. coaches at different facility in Indy and also getting counseling help.

They have him quarantined so he doesn't contaminate the other rooks apparently...

nerveghost
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
whoa!

Shade
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
If this is how it's going to be, they may as well just cut him.

sportfireman
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM

I totally agree........

EDIT: Looks like Magnum may have a spot on the team.

pacers74
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
It's not looking good for Lance. The best thing he did this summer was sign a guarranteed deal. At least we only owe him $750,000 this year and just over $800,000 next. Maybe if he gets cut and sits out a year, he can get a tryout with a team next year.

pacers74
09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
He is going to make 1.5 mil for being a knucklehead.

Since86
09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
He is going to make 1.5 mil for being a knucklehead.

Doubt it. If the allegations are true then a good portion of it, if not all, will be going to his (hopefully) ex-gf.

BPump33
09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Not related, but also from Twitter:

abmowrey Good to see Tyler Hansbrough back working out today at Conseco FH. @THANS50 has a chance to start at PF this year.

http://twitter.com/abmowrey

He is the Director of Season Ticket Sales.

From Big Roy:

Hoya2aPacer Tyler Hans in back in town. Nice to see him. Looks like he has been lifting boulders all summer. Another young guy working hard. Nice!!!!!!!

Duuglas
09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm guessing the separation is so he doesn't plead his case to the players and then things get leaked to media etc...

But isolation and working out with other coaches makes it seem like they aren't giving up in case they get stuck with him. I really hope that they can get something resolved before things get rolling for the season. The last thing the Pacers need is a "?" next to a player and end up with more lineup problems and player development setbacks.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm guessing the separation is so he doesn't plead his case to the players and then things get leaked to media etc...

But isolation and working out with other coaches makes it seem like they aren't giving up in case they get stuck with him. I really hope that they can get something resolved before things get rolling for the season. The last thing the Pacers need is a "?" next to a player and end up with more lineup problems and player development setbacks.
I'm on the whole "Cut your losses with Lance" bandwagon and suspect that the Pacers FO ( mainly for PR reasons and the Party line that the FO has been towing since the Brawl ), so I don't look at it that way.

A Player with a guaranteed Contract is guaranteed to certain benefits as part of his contract....in this case access to Pacers facilities to practice.

My guess is that they learned from the whole Tinsley lockout and that this type of issue was brought up as part of negotiation tactics on Tinsley's side. Lance is technically working out at a Pacers facilities....just not the main one that everyone else is working out at.

Although Lance should be given the "benefit of the doubt" and is "innocent until proven guilty", given what they probably know of the situation ( which if far more then what we know on the outside )....it looks like the FO is preparing for the worst and are taking steps towards that direction ( buying him out or waiving him ) while allowing for some wiggle room to change direction JUST IN CASE things work out in the end.

naptownmenace
09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
It seemed like an exile until I read that he's still working out with the Pacers assistant coaches. It sounds like they are just trying to keep the media away more than they are trying to keep lance away.

Speed
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Good info from Wells, I wondered about where Lance was. Roy tweeted yesterday that Roy, Paul G, McBob, and and Juice (AJ Price) were working out.

Interesting, you could read a bunch into this or it could just be covering bases.

Like, he's getting couseling? I mean makes sense, but that sounds like something you do when you're making ammends or trying to. I said when this all went down, that was the best thing he could do from a personal standpoint, PR standpoint, & legal standpoint. Courts will be more lenient if a person has tried to fix things without being ordered to do so.

I wonder how they'll treat training camp. Is he not allowed in, if he's still in this same status?

Speed
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Not related, but also from Twitter:

abmowrey Good to see Tyler Hansbrough back working out today at Conseco FH. @THANS50 has a chance to start at PF this year.

http://twitter.com/abmowrey

He is the Director of Season Ticket Sales.

We need some PD spies to look in and see how he looks. I wonder how beefed up he is.

When Dale would come in from an offseason of mainly lifting he was huge.

Kstat
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
It's the right move. Keep him in purgatory until his legal issues are settled.

Unclebuck
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I wonder how they'll treat training camp. Is he not allowed in, if he's still in this same status?

Nothing is going to change in the next 3 and a half weeks. Court date is mid October.

So I think this means he will not be in training camp.

Trophy
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM
He deserves this.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM

I really really hope that is true. I hope Lance can work through this and remain a Pacer

BornReady
09-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Good info from Wells, I wondered about where Lance was. Roy tweeted yesterday that Roy, Paul G, McBob, and and Juice (AJ Price) were working out.

Interesting, you could read a bunch into this or it could just be covering bases.

Like, he's getting couseling? I mean makes sense, but that sounds like something you do when you're making ammends or trying to. I said when this all went down, that was the best thing he could do from a personal standpoint, PR standpoint, & legal standpoint. Courts will be more lenient if a person has tried to fix things without being ordered to do so.

OHHH i was wondering who juice was! :D

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Nothing is going to change in the next 3 and a half weeks. Court date is mid October.

So I think this means he will not be in training camp.

I dont think so

If he is proven not guilty then what leagl right would they have to "bannish" him

Players union would step in, we would lose just like we lost the Tinsley arbitration

Speed
09-03-2010, 02:46 PM
OHHH i was wondering who juice was! :D

I like it, I'd love to hear a "JUUIIIIIICCCCEEE" from the crowd when he hits a 3!!

Day-V
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
IDK why, but I have confidence (or maybe it's hope) that Lance will be on the team this season. I can't wait to see him on the court.

Unclebuck
09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I dont think so

If he is proven not guilty then what leagl right would they have to "bannish" him

Players union would step in, we would lose just like we lost the Tinsley arbitration

The trial won't be until the first of the year at the absolute earliest.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
IDK why, but I have confidence (or maybe it's hope) that Lance will be on the team this season. I can't wait to see him on the court.

I hope your right. I like a feel good story and would like nothing better than this to be the defining moment in Lance's life

More than basketball , I would like him to realize he has anger management isues, is not a "king" and life wont treat him with royalty

I would love for Lance to truly change, and become a better man

I dont think its too late

docpaul
09-03-2010, 03:01 PM
We need some PD spies to look in and see how he looks. I wonder how beefed up he is.

When Dale would come in from an offseason of mainly lifting he was huge.

I talked to Hansbrough for a few minutes at the Indy airport a couple of weeks ago... he looked pretty cut in his street clothes, and perhaps with a bit of a better build than last year, but then again... I thought he was pretty ripped last year. :)

He said that he's being restricted by team physicians, and believes he could go more full out if unbridled... and seemed eager to get his career back on track.

(fingers crossed)

Bball
09-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I dont think so

We lost the Tinsley arbitration? I was thinking it never made it to a decision for some reason... I've forgotten what actually transpired...

xBulletproof
09-03-2010, 04:20 PM
He said that he's being restricted by team physicians, and believes he could go more full out if unbridled... and seemed eager to get his career back on track.

.... and that is why he's restricted. He doesn't know how to half *** it. If he got back out there he'd be going wild with absolutely nothing for the team to gain from it. The only end result of such an action would be a bad one, or a neutral one. No reason to risk it.

Makes me hopeful that he feels like he's able to do it though. That would imply to me that most (or hopefully all) of his symptoms are gone.

Bball
09-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Ok... I looked it up... We bought Tinsley out a week or so before the hearing thus rendering the hearing unnecessary (and so there was no decision). David Aldridge reported at the time:

Pacers will give Tinsley approximately $11 million of the $14.7 million that remained on his deal.

imawhat
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
.... and that is why he's restricted. He doesn't know how to half *** it. If he got back out there he'd be going wild with absolutely nothing for the team to gain from it. The only end result of such an action would be a bad one, or a neutral one. No reason to risk it.

Makes me hopeful that he feels like he's able to do it though. That would imply to me that most (or hopefully all) of his symptoms are gone.

That, and apparently he's flying. Not sure how vertigo works on airplanes, but my guess is he couldn't fly if it affected him.

Cherokee
09-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I wonder if there is any chance Lance gets a deal (perhaps paying the woman a few 100K) so that the charge is reduced to a misdemeanor resulting in public service and a fine or maybe 30 days in home (or gym) arrest? Has it gone too far for that? I forgot to get my law degree 40 years ago.

naptownmenace
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I wonder if there is any chance Lance gets a deal (perhaps paying the woman a few 100K) so that the charge is reduced to a misdemeanor resulting in public service and a fine or maybe 30 days in home (or gym) arrest? Has it gone too far for that? I forgot to get my law degree 40 years ago.

I keep thinking that ultimately the charges will be dropped altogether. I'm not saying that they should be or that I'm pulling for that to happen. I just think that's where this is heading and Lance will be back on the team before the preseason is over.

DGPR
09-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I, for one, still would like to see Lance Stephenson in action for the Pacers and hope that he has learned from this that he can't put himself in bad situations. I'm no judge so I can't convict him or throw him in jail, but as a fan I can hope for the best and root him on to success if he is proven innocent. I feel Larry is doing the right thing by keeping him away from the team at the moment so that there are no distractions, and to let the other rooks/new players gel with the team before having to deal with Lance's problems.

Bball
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Lance might pay her some number under the table if she agrees not to cooperate with investigators and the prosecutor... which would force their hand to go forward without the victim's co-operation (making a conviction more difficult). Which would put the state in the position of deciding if that was worth it versus offering some type of lesser charge in a plea agreement hoping to get something versus working hard and getting nothing... or dropping the charges altogether. And I suppose a deferment is always a possibility in that scenario...

Any deal where Lance pays his girlfriend will not be a deal negotiated through the prosecutor's office or even negotiated above the table.

And she may feel she can pursue the criminal charges and then sue civilly and 'put him where he belongs' AND collect a check... so she might not be inclined to accept an apology and check under the table and let him escape justice...

Or she might decide she loves him and doesn't want to see him go to jail...

The police do not need the victim to pursue charges, but it gets way more difficult to try a case under those circumstances...

Duuglas
09-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I keep thinking that ultimately the charges will be dropped altogether. I'm not saying that they should be or that I'm pulling for that to happen. I just think that's where this is heading and Lance will be back on the team before the preseason is over.

I agree. It seems like more often than not you have this scenario play out regardless of what might be right or wrong. Bottom line is that unless this guy gets tossed in jail or some other "guilty" action then he will be on the team. It's hard to punish a guy when things go like that.

But, if this doesn't play out with reduced or no charges then I think life goes on until he does something that gives the pacers a good legal reason to release him.

vapacersfan
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I dont think so

That case never went to arbitration.........

CableKC
09-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I dont think so

I guess I'm on your "ignore" list :(

Read my post about this particular aspect:

My guess is that they learned from the whole Tinsley lockout and that this type of issue was brought up as part of negotiation tactics on Tinsley's side. Lance is technically working out at a Pacers facilities....just not the main one that everyone else is working out at.
From a legal perspective, technically....Lance is not "bannished" per se.....he is practicing and using A Pacer facility ( which I assume is something that is loosely spelled out in his contract )....he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
The trial won't be until the first of the year at the absolute earliest.

Thats my point

If he has been charged, but not been to trial , he is presumed innocent under the law

I really dont think they can make a move until either a plea agreement is reached or he is found guilty or not guilty

NuffSaid
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
They have him [Lance Stephenson] quarantined so he doesn't contaminate the other rooks apparently...

I don't know...I don't think you can cut a player who has a guaranteed contract unless he has been convicted of a infractions (crime) per league rules. But keeping him away from Conseco isn't a bad thing. It will certainly send a message to the rest of the team that if you screw up, you will suffer the consequences.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Why would you say that?

You are one of the people here I enjoy conversing with

In fact I dont even know how to "ignore" anyone

Not the case my friend

Jose Slaughter
09-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Admitting or being found guilty has nothing to do with the options the Pacers have. They can request waivers on him at anytime.

Training camp opens a couple weeks before his first court date so when the Pacers start making the news again, his name will naturally get mentioned. Nothing about Lance & his situation will be positive for the Pacers. The longer he remains with the team the longer the negative press.

I hope the dude gets his **** together just as much as anyone else. Bird has spent the better part of his time here clearing out the knuckleheads & attempting to clean up the image of the team. Allowing this punk to wear a Pacer uni would undo all the work that he has done.

He should have been gone already.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Why would you say that?

You are one of the people here I enjoy conversing with

In fact I dont even know how to "ignore" anyone

Not the case my friend
NP...j/k. As mentioned before.....IMHO...this isn't a true case of "bannishment". What's unfortunate, if not sad, is that our luck with Players is so bad that this isn't the first time that the FO had to resort to this. Bad stuff like this happens so often that the FO has a prepared script on what to do when we get hit by this bad PR stuff. :banghead:

Bball
09-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Read my post about this particular aspect:

From a legal perspective, technically....Lance is not "bannished" per se.....he is practicing and using A Pacer facility ( which I assume is something that is loosely spelled out in his contract )....he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.

But you're assuming this 'pseudo' banishment is a banishment at all. It could have more to do with simply not wanting Lance photographed with the other players and/or not wanting any type of disruptions of this nature at practice for now.

It may even be something entirely different that isn't even the Pacers' doing or idea but something that Lance's legal team wanted to help shield Lance from questions.

Without more info I don't think anyone should assume this is any type of lesson learned from the Tinsley case. Both sides blinked BEFORE the hearing in the Tinsley case. And both sides got some relief ultimately as well.

And let's not forget, the Pacers wanted to 100% banish Tinsley. They might not be so inclined for Lance...

McKeyFan
09-03-2010, 06:15 PM
he's just not allowed to practice at Conseco itself where everyone else would be practicing.

Yes, or . . . it may not be a mandate or order. They may have asked, and he agreed, given all the circumstances.

speakout4
09-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Perhaps the FO is just trying to show that they are taking an active role in rehabilitating Lance and after all is said and done will give him a second chance. They are trying to show its not business as usual.

All kinds of possibilities exist as mentioned on this thread but it is not impossible that he will be a pacer this year. They are going through a lot of trouble for a player some seem to think will be cut or traded.

danman
09-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Perhaps the FO is just trying to show that they are taking an active role in rehabilitating Lance and after all is said and done will give him a second chance. They are trying to show its not business as usual.

All kinds of possibilities exist as mentioned on this thread but it is not impossible that he will be a pacer this year. They are going through a lot of trouble for a player some seem to think will be cut or traded.

No, not impossible. Depends on what comes out at trial -- if there is one. Then the Pacers can investigate and ask questions, and it depends on what comes out of that. I'm sure part of the reason Lance is quarantined is because if he talks to anyone -- Pacers brass, players, staff, whoever -- they can be called as a material witness. There's no way, NO WAY, they want any chance of that, so they're controlling the environment.

The Pacers hate their rep with knuckleheads, but they also don't want a rep for making arbitrary, unfair judgments.

So yeah, nobody knows. But if the allegations are believed by the Pacers, it's hard to imagine that Lance will stay on board.

Justin Tyme
09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't know...I don't think you can cut a player who has a guaranteed contract unless he has been convicted of a infractions (crime) per league rules. But keeping him away from Conseco isn't a bad thing. It will certainly send a message to the rest of the team that if you screw up, you will suffer the consequences.

I've said this b4 that the Pacers can cut Stephenson to make a roster spot for Rolle. Cutting a 2nd rounder with a guaranteed contract was done with White, so a precedent has already been set. The Pacers don't have to give a reason why they cut Stephenson.

Sookie
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Juice..*don't quite get why..* I like that they give the guy with the shortest name the nickname. :P

You also don't want players getting into it with Lance. It's not going to shock me if there are some guys that are not happy with Lance in this situation, and it just might be better to keep him away from "the guys" unless he is proven innocent. (Which, that's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to prove.)

I hope people aren't "hoping" Lance gets off easy so he can play basketball..because..there are some priorities there..

BornReady
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Juice..*don't quite get why..* I like that they give the guy with the shortest name the nickname. :P

You also don't want players getting into it with Lance. It's not going to shock me if there are some guys that are not happy with Lance in this situation, and it just might be better to keep him away from "the guys" unless he is proven innocent. (Which, that's going to be INCREDIBLY hard to prove.)

I hope people aren't "hoping" Lance gets off easy so he can play basketball..because..there are some priorities there..

hahah i think its kind of cute. AJ = apple juice = juice? :D

Sookie
09-03-2010, 10:13 PM
hahah i think its kind of cute. AJ = apple juice = juice? :D

oooo I get it now. Hahahah

Psyren
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Again, I just have a hard time thinking the Pacers would have him working with the assistant coaches right now if they had the intention to cut him. Nothing is going to change between now and his court date, which is after training camp opens, so it just doesn't add up.

Why would you have your coaches spend time and effort on a guy, just to say "oh wait, just kidding. We're going to cut you now even though you haven't even gone to court."

I imagine he still makes the team, guilty or not guilty. But that was his one strike. Next time, he's gone.

Just my take on it. I could be wrong. I have been before :p

BlueNGold
09-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think he will ever play a game for the Pacers. I think they are trying to a) keep the media at bay, b) help a troubled, young man and c) keep his skills warm for a trade.

As for what happened, is there a denial? I would need to hear a whole lot of denying...including some from the Pacer organization...to not believe the basic story published.

Will Galen
09-04-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't think he will ever play a game for the Pacers. I think they are trying to a) keep the media at bay, b) help a troubled, young man and c) keep his skills warm for a trade.

As for what happened, is there a denial? I would need to hear a whole lot of denying...including some from the Pacer organization...to not believe the basic story published.

As far as I know Lance hasn't admitted any guilt, and we haven't heard either sides story, just what the media reports.

You believe what you read in the newspapers and online? Now-days stories are completely fabricated and the media always plays up the most sensational aspects of any story, true or not.

For all we know she got in his face and he just shoved her away from him and she fell down the stairs. There might not have been any intent on his part to hurt her at all. If they were circling around while arguing he might not even have realized the stairs were behind her.

As for slamming her head against the stairs, he could have rushed downstairs and tried to pick her up and she jerks away from him and that's how her head got slammed against the stairs.

On the other hand she could have gone up the stairs being conciliatory, and he is such a jerk he shoved her down the stairs on purpose, then not satisfied with that rushed down and slammed her head against the stairs.

I know people report things in a way that supports their position. Which story do you buy?

Those who buy either story without knowing all the facts need to start using their head for something other than a wintertime hat rack.

The truth is we just know what Stephenson has been charged with and he's been in trouble before so we tend to believe the worst. What we don't know is if there are any witnesses other then her girlfriends.

My opinion is he needs more than counciling if he did all of what he's charged with on purpose, if it's all true he needs jail time. However I refuse to judge him on what I read in media reports.

We may never know what actually happened. But when did that ever stop people from picking sides? And with the anonymity the Internet gives it makes it worse.

I think the Pacers are handling things the right way.

Miller-Time
09-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Lance gets more help

http://www.indycornrows.com/2010/9/3/1668651/clark-kellogg-working-with-lance

McKeyFan
09-04-2010, 01:00 PM
As for what happened, is there a denial?

Lance's agent provided a complete, unequivocal denial of Lance doing anything to intentionally harm the girl.

BlueNGold
09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Lance's agent provided a complete, unequivocal denial of Lance doing anything to intentionally harm the girl.

That's what I was looking for. Allegations of this nature are either denied at the outset or they are not. Without a denial under the circumstances, it indicates guilt. With a denial, it's a complete unknown because it's now purely a he-said, she-said.

BTW, it's not news to anyone that the media and newspaper stories are not gospel. However, more stories are correct than are wholly inaccurate or need retracted. In any event, people here can believe whoever they want to. I suppose people can prefer to believe someone with a poor reputation if they want. ...or they can believe a somewhat unique story from the victim detailing an altercation...one that probably is backed up by medical records that have been reviewed thoroughly by both sides considering they are going to trial.

Kstat
09-04-2010, 03:05 PM
That's what I was looking for. Allegations of this nature are either denied at the outset or they are not. Without a denial under the circumstances, it indicates guilt. With a denial, it's a complete unknown because it's now purely a he-said, she-said.

Not to burst your bubble, but isn't it "he said-they-said?"

Last I checked, there were witnesses.

Kemo
09-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Not to burst your bubble, but isn't he "he said-they-said?"

witnesses to what exactly .. we don't know...

and how good can a witness(s) be??

If the 2 supposed witnesses were here girlfriends... I'm sorry but that doesn't make it end-all beat-all ... true ...

Now if they were innocent bystanders... that is a different story .. as there would be no alterior motive to help out a friend..

Kstat
09-04-2010, 03:12 PM
It makes a difference because three people are more believable than one, especially if they all tell the same story.

Kemo
09-04-2010, 03:19 PM
It makes a difference because three people are more believable than one, especially if they all tell the same story.

And I can tell you ... That if I were to go commit a crime... that In 10 minutes , I could have 15 witnesses giving me an alibi ... ALL telling the same story ..

(Not that I'd EVER consider doing anything against the law.. cause I wouldn't , just using as an example trying to prove my point)

I know where you are coming from , I do .. But people lie and exagerrate .. and ultimately , their credibility is up for a jury to decide ...

Kstat
09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
And I can tell you ... That if I were to go commit a crime... that In 10 minutes , I could have 15 witnesses giving me an alibi ... ALL telling the same story ..

(Not that I'd EVER consider doing anything against the law.. cause I wouldn't)

I know where you are coming from , I do .. But people lie and exagerrate .. and ultimately , their credibility is up for a jury to decide ...

I'm sorry, but that's total crap.

You can tell 15 people to lie for you, but you cannot get them to all tell the exact same story. Those types of witness reports are picked apart for discrepancies long before they even go to trial.

graphic-er
09-04-2010, 05:28 PM

You can tell 15 people to lie for you, but you cannot get them to all tell the exact same story. Those types of witness reports are picked apart for discrepancies long before they even go to trial.

3 is different than 15. It would be very easy for 3 friends to match their stories up. Like its been said, never believe any of the hear say that comes out of the prosecuters report. Its alldesigned to build a conviction. It does not have to be the whole truth. Its a chess match.

Kstat
09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
...just like the words of a defense attorney are designed to build an acquittal?

McKeyFan
09-04-2010, 06:12 PM

We don't know what the witnesses said, if all of them supported the girlfriend, or if one or more of the witnesses supported Lance.

It would seem the witnesses would all, unanimously, support the prosecutor's charges. But maybe not. We just don't know yet.

Plus, it's quite a different thing for witnesses to talk briefly with cops and for witnesses to be thoroughly grilled by opposing counsel.

So, it may be "he said, she said, and they said."

Kstat
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
If the witnesses supported Lance, I sincerely doubt he would be prosecuted.

McKeyFan
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
If the witnesses supported Lance, I sincerely doubt he would be prosecuted.

I think that's probable.

However, there may be a minority of witnesses (one even) that sees it more his way. We don't know yet. And we may find it less leaning toward the girlfriend upon cross examination. It's not beyond the pale to suspect prosecutors of twisting the accounts to add up to the charges they are bringing.

But, yeah, probability is probably not in Lance's favor. Pun intended.

Sookie
09-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Not to mention, the girls parents have said this isn't the first time, and they didn't report it before because they were giving him another chance.

Which we also haven't touched on much. Because there are other witnesses to a time before this, Lance actually may be facing more than just the charge from this incident. Repeated domestic abuse tends to get more time than just one incident.

This really isn't like a "rape" incident with a famous athlete.
1. Lance was going to owe the girl money for the next 18 years. She's the mother of his child. She'd want him to make as much money as possible, not to spend the next five years (or more) in jail.

2. This isn't a case of "he said" "she said." She has medical records of her injuries.

3. There are witnesses to what he did, and she has witnesses of him hurting her before.

So yea, is there a slim chance he's innocent..yea..a really slim chance. There's a much better chance he's not. (And if he doesn't get found guilty, it'll be more than likely because the girl thought my first point through, and went.."my daughter and I will have a much better life if Lance gets to make money.." which is unfortunate. And she just will drop the charges. But at this point, it doesn't seem like her family will let her. )

BlueNGold
09-04-2010, 06:50 PM

No burst here. You're actually supporting me.

I torched this pick from the moment it was made. He played well in summer league and proceeds to be compared to DWade on this board. Ok fine. Certain posters whom I respect were excited about the guy...so I reluctantly started to meander toward the band wagon. While I was headed toward the wagon, I was fortunately not on it...so I have no grief. I believe some Pacer fans are somewhere between 1 and 4 on this guy.

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Shock provides emotional protection from being overwhelmed all at once. This may last for weeks.

2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, and not hide it, avoid it or escape from it with alcohol or drugs. You may have guilty feelings or remorse over things you did or didn't do with your loved one. Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay unwarranted blame for the death on someone else. Please try to control this, as permanent damage to your relationships may result. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why me?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will never drink again if you just bring him back")

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. This is a normal stage of grief, so do not be "talked out of it" by well-meaning outsiders. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, reflect on things you did with your lost one, and focus on memories of the past. You may sense feelings of emptiness or despair.

5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without your dear one, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly.

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without your loved one. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing yourself and your life without him or her.

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages in this grief model, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward.
You will start to look forward and actually plan things for the future. Eventually, you will be able to think about your lost loved one without pain; sadness, yes, but the wrenching pain will be gone. You will once again anticipate some good times to come, and yes, even find joy again in the experience of living.

MLB007
09-05-2010, 02:45 PM

(Not that I'd EVER consider doing anything against the law.. cause I wouldn't , just using as an example trying to prove my point)

And over the next few days the detectives would pick apart every person that wasn't actually there.
it's the DETAILS baby, and you can't even come CLOSE to getting everyone on the same page with an alibi as far as the DETAILS in a short period of time.

And that's where they'd nail you.

MLB007
09-05-2010, 02:46 PM
No burst here. You're actually supporting me.

I torched this pick from the moment it was made. He played well in summer league and proceeds to be compared to DWade on this board. Ok fine. Certain posters whom I respect were excited about the guy...so I reluctantly started to meander toward the band wagon. While I was headed toward the wagon, I was fortunately not on it...so I have no grief. I believe some Pacer fans are somewhere between 1 and 4 on this guy.

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Shock provides emotional protection from being overwhelmed all at once. This may last for weeks.

2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, and not hide it, avoid it or escape from it with alcohol or drugs. You may have guilty feelings or remorse over things you did or didn't do with your loved one. Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay unwarranted blame for the death on someone else. Please try to control this, as permanent damage to your relationships may result. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why me?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will never drink again if you just bring him back")

4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. This is a normal stage of grief, so do not be "talked out of it" by well-meaning outsiders. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, reflect on things you did with your lost one, and focus on memories of the past. You may sense feelings of emptiness or despair.

5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without your dear one, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly.

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without your loved one. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing yourself and your life without him or her.

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages in this grief model, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward.
You will start to look forward and actually plan things for the future. Eventually, you will be able to think about your lost loved one without pain; sadness, yes, but the wrenching pain will be gone. You will once again anticipate some good times to come, and yes, even find joy again in the experience of living.

LOL, no ****. :D

ChicagoJ
09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

And that's really the reason Big Ben wasn't ultimately charged in his case. Something probably happened. But the sorority sisters didn't get their version of the story together, and the victim had no idea what happened (and wasn't even sure if anything did happen, except her sorority sisters were telling her something did happen.)

That's, of course, why the truth is always an easier story to tell.

No idea what to expect of this case. But I doubt this is going to be a "he-said, she-said type of case."

Young
09-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Lance gets more help

I wonder if Clark will be able to mentor Lance while he is in jail assuming he is found guilty.

I'm sorry but Clark K being a "mentor" to Lance is just a poor PR stunt by the Pacers.

I mean come on what in the world is Clark suppose to do to help Lance control his anger? Clark is not and should not have to be a babysitter.

As far as I know Lance not stepping into Conseco again would be a good thing. The Pacers need to get their heads out of the sand and cut him. They gave him a chance and it didn't take him long to throw it away. He isn't worthy of a second chance.

I'm sorry but I am sick and tired of these pro athletes, with god given gifts, just throwing it all away and being given a second chance over and over again. When will the leagues (all of them not just the NBA) hold these players accountable for their actions? No a 5 game suspension and $20,000 fine is not it.

I like what Larry has done overall but if he can't get this right, getting rid of these ungrateful, irresponsible players then he needs to go. It was one thing to draft the guy in the second round but it is another thing to give him a second chance.

QuickRelease
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Admitting or being found guilty has nothing to do with the options the Pacers have. They can request waivers on him at anytime.

Training camp opens a couple weeks before his first court date so when the Pacers start making the news again, his name will naturally get mentioned. Nothing about Lance & his situation will be positive for the Pacers. The longer he remains with the team the longer the negative press.

I hope the dude gets his **** together just as much as anyone else. Bird has spent the better part of his time here clearing out the knuckleheads & attempting to clean up the image of the team. Allowing this punk to wear a Pacer uni would undo all the work that he has done.

He should have been gone already.Due process be damned?

speakout4
09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hard to know how this will play out in the end. I am prepared for all types of bizarre endings.

Duuglas
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Lance gets more help

Not to bust the bubble of speculation over what the guy said he did and what really happened I think that this article sums it up. Again, it looks like the Pacers are taking steps to keep this kid from doing more dumb stuff until the legal process has been played out.

I really think that the Pacers are going to stick with this guy unless there is a real reason to dump him on the streets. So, why not be careful with him and keep his temper and skills in check for a trade or possibly playing. No doubt that this will bring more negative press once the season starts rolling. But, this gives them some positive responses to the questions and shows that the organization is doing something to deal with it.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
And she just will drop the charges. But at this point, it doesn't seem like her family will let her.

I dont think she could drop the charges even if she wanted to.I believe in the state of New York once the incident happens, the prosecutors are obligated to pursue charges

Hicks
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I dont think she could drop the charges even if she wanted to.I believe in the state of New York once the incident happens, the prosecutors are obligated to pursue charges

I don't think that's merely a New York thing. Once you get prosecutors involved, the genie is out of the bottle.

Duuglas
09-08-2010, 11:32 AM

From what I have read it appears that once the act is deemed domestic violence that it pretty much becomes a state vs. issue. Even if the victim wants to walk away the state will continue to press charges.

http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/crimereporting/domesticviolence.htm

ChicagoJ
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Well... she could refuse to cooperate/ testify. And if she's the only witness and there is no physical evidence then the prosecutors will give up.

Again, to parallel the Big Ben situation, I believe the alleged victim decided shortly after the alleged incident that she wasn't going cooperate further with authorities. So the police were left with the conflicting stories of the sorority sisters that didn't add up. Did something happen? Probably. Could they re-create that actual facts with credible witnesses (especially, witnesses that were sober enough to be credible?) No.

So the victim choosing to not cooperate/ press charges is not going to get Lance off the hook. But if there are no other (credible) eyewitnesses then the case could unravel just as the case against Ben unraveled.

What I don't know is this - in Ben's case there was no physical evidence. If there is physical evidence in Lance's case then the eyewitnesses may be less important. Do we know anything about physical evidence here? In Ben's case, we knew early on that he wouldn't have to submit any DNA because there was no male DNA found on the alleged victim to compare it to.

Sookie
09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Well... she could refuse to cooperate/ testify. And if she's the only witness and there is no physical evidence then the prosecutors will give up.

Again, to parallel the Big Ben situation, I believe the alleged victim decided shortly after the alleged incident that she wasn't going cooperate further with authorities. So the police were left with the conflicting stories of the sorority sisters that didn't add up. Did something happen? Probably. Could they re-create that actual facts with credible witnesses (especially, witnesses that were sober enough to be credible?) No.

So the victim choosing to not cooperate/ press charges is not going to get Lance off the hook. But if there are no other (credible) eyewitnesses then the case could unravel just as the case against Ben unraveled.

What I don't know is this - in Ben's case there was no physical evidence. If there is physical evidence in Lance's case then the eyewitnesses may be less important. Do we know anything about physical evidence here? In Ben's case, we knew early on that he wouldn't have to submit any DNA because there was no male DNA found on the alleged victim to compare it to.

The issue though, is you're comparing a rape case to a domestic violence case.

Rape is very much he said she said, even with a bit of physical effects (bleeding and what not) it's hard to say for sure. Domestic abuse..is a little obvious. They've probably taken pictures of her and stuff.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
The issue though, is you're comparing a rape case to a domestic violence case.

Rape is very much he said she said, even with a bit of physical effects (bleeding and what not) it's hard to say for sure. Domestic abuse..is a little obvious. They've probably taken pictures of her and stuff.

Not necessarily, if there is evidence of trama, it would still have to be proven to be done by Lance, and then intent would have to be proved. Did he intend to hurt her, or was it an accident?

Sookie
09-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Not necessarily, if there is evidence of trama, it would still have to be proven to be done by Lance, and then intent would have to be proved. Did he intend to hurt her, or was it an accident?

My point is it's just not nearly as subjective as a rape case. There's evidence that something happened.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
My point is it's just not nearly as subjective as a rape case. There's evidence that something happened.

Ok, I see that point

Its very difficult to entertain how the prosecution will play it though

Sookie
09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, I see that point

Its very difficult to entertain how the prosecution will play it though

If she and her witnesses say about the same thing, and they have the photos, and then they have her parents saying that he's done something similar before, I don't think there's anyway he gets out of it, honestly. Lance is going to have a hard time proving otherwise.

And you have to remember too. I'm not sure how the girl wants to prosecute him. She could chose to prosecute for this instance. Which will give him a jail sentence, but not nearly as long as if she decided to prosecute him for repeated domestic abuse, which would be a longer sentence for Lance. Of course I'm sure the judge will take into consideration his age..but still, it'll be interesting.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
If she and her witnesses say about the same thing, and they have the photos, and then they have her parents saying that he's done something similar before, I don't think there's anyway he gets out of it, honestly. Lance is going to have a hard time proving otherwise.

And you have to remember too. I'm not sure how the girl wants to prosecute him. She could chose to prosecute for this instance. Which will give him a jail sentence, but not nearly as long as if she decided to prosecute him for repeated domestic abuse, which would be a longer sentence for Lance. Of course I'm sure the judge will take into consideration his age..but still, it'll be interesting.

Do you think him being an athlete helps or hurts his case?

BornReady
09-08-2010, 04:53 PM

I think helps. It always seems like athletes are getting away with bonehead things and instead just serving community service time instead of actually suffering the consequences. I could be wrong, though.

Kstat
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Athletes are generally rich. Being rich usually helps you in legal matters.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Athletes are generally rich. Being rich usually helps you in legal matters.

True but

Didnt it hurt Plaxico Buress?

I mean if it was John, the UPS driver, I highly doubt he would have gotten two years

naptownmenace
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM

In the state of New York I don't think it helps you much. Ask Plexico Burress. In NY, if you do something dumb and illegal and you have no alibi, you're going to jail - at least for a little while.

However, the prosecutor still has to prove that his client was assaulted and that the GF didn't just fall down the stairs. If they can prove that there was physical contact, even if her falling down the stairs was an accident, Lance is in big trouble. Well, he's definitely in big trouble anyway because he has a record.

I'm definitely feeling worse about his chances after reading about those witnesses. His best hope is that the judge rules for dismissing the case. If it goes to trial he'll probably get barbecued.

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
I think helps. It always seems like athletes are getting away with bonehead things and instead just serving community service time instead of actually suffering the consequences. I could be wrong, though.

Most of the ti me I agree

The biggest color in court is not black or white

Its green

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 05:42 PM
In the state of New York I don't think it helps you much. Ask Plexico Burress. In NY, if you do something dumb and illegal and you have no alibi, you're going to jail - at least for a little while.

However, the prosecutor still has to prove that his client was assaulted and that the GF didn't just fall down the stairs. If they can prove that there was physical contact, even if her falling down the stairs was an accident, Lance is in big trouble. Well, he's definitely in big trouble anyway because he has a record.

I'm definitely feeling worse about his chances after reading about those witnesses. His best hope is that the judge rules for dismissing the case. If it goes to trial he'll probably get barbecued.

Good point man

I know it costs a lot of money to go to trail and the state will usually push for some type of plea agreement first, unless they DA has a woody for making a name for himself on a high profile case (Think Mike Tyson), whom in my opinion never raped that girl and was a victim himself

Kstat
09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
True but

Didnt it hurt Plaxico Buress?

I mean if it was John, the UPS driver, I highly doubt he would have gotten two years

It hurt Plaxico Burress that he made light of the initial plea offer and the DA decided to make an example out of him. They didn't go into proceedings trying to nail him to the cross.

When you have evidence against you stacked a mile high, you take what you can get. It wasn't Plaxico's superstar image that burned him, it was his superstar ego.

Roger Clemens is about to become the next example of this.

ChicagoJ
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Plaxico plea-bargained to a two-year prison sentence for a crime that carries a minimum of 3.5 years if convicted. I'd say he did alright. John the UPS driver probably couldn't have plea bargained his way down to a 2 year sentence, if the rest of the criminal history were the same silly/ stupid stuff that Plexiglass had been up to prior to that incident.

Putnam
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure how the girl wants to prosecute him. She could chose to prosecute for this instance. Which will give him a jail sentence, but not nearly as long as if she decided to prosecute him for repeated domestic abuse, which would be a longer sentence for Lance.

You understand that these decisions will be made by the prosecutor and not the girlfriend, don't you? The case is a criminal charge and the plaintiff is The State of New York. The girlfriend would have the choices you speak of only in a civil trial.

Sookie
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
You understand that these decisions will be made by the prosecutor and not the girlfriend, don't you? The case is a criminal charge and the plaintiff is The State of New York. The girlfriend would have the choices you speak of only in a civil trial.

I would think that the prosecuter would more than likely just go on trial for this instance, if the girlfriend does not want to prosecute for other incidences, as those weren't reported originally and she doesn't need to.

Sookie
09-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Depends on the judges and witnesses

Honestly, in Lance's case, I think it's going to hurt him.

With someone like Lebron and Kobe..people know him..are fans of him.. .might help..plus, as someone else pointed out..they can afford fantastic lawyers.

But an athlete in general..there might be some of that "I'm gonna show that athletes..athletes think they can get away with anything." Ect...remember, as unbiased as we try and make the cases, if a jury is deciding it..they are people..and not lawyers. Yea, they just decide facts...but biases help the facts.

I do think the fact that he's 19 will help him. There's going to be the "don't put him away too long, he's a kid" feeling.

All of this is subjective of course..I have no way of knowing how this would effect him. Hopefully judges stay unbiased, because it's unfair to make a message out of Lance if he didn't do it. But He also shouldn't be left off the hook. As this really really isn't a "second chance" situation. Hitters hit again. He's gotta rehabilitate, and he should be punished for it..just on principle.

dlewyus
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
"Born Ready" has now become "Last Chance Lance" :hmm:

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Plaxico plea-bargained to a two-year prison sentence for a crime that carries a minimum of 3.5 years if convicted. I'd say he did alright. John the UPS driver probably couldn't have plea bargained his way down to a 2 year sentence, if the rest of the criminal history were the same silly/ stupid stuff that Plexiglass had been up to prior to that incident.

If John the UPS driver had no prior criminal record he would have got probabtion

inho

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
They didn't go into proceedings trying to nail him to the cross.

]

No they didnt but if 3 was the max and he "pled" for 2, thats fairly close

I think if it was not a public case the charges would have been a lot less

90'sNBARocked
09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Depends on the judges and witnesses

Honestly, in Lance's case, I think it's going to hurt him.

With someone like Lebron and Kobe..people know him..are fans of him.. .might help..plus, as someone else pointed out..they can afford fantastic lawyers.

But an athlete in general..there might be some of that "I'm gonna show that athletes..athletes think they can get away with anything." Ect...remember, as unbiased as we try and make the cases, if a jury is deciding it..they are people..and not lawyers. Yea, they just decide facts...but biases help the facts.

I do think the fact that he's 19 will help him. There's going to be the "don't put him away too long, he's a kid" feeling.

All of this is subjective of course..I have no way of knowing how this would effect him. Hopefully judges stay unbiased, because it's unfair to make a message out of Lance if he didn't do it. But He also shouldn't be left off the hook. As this really really isn't a "second chance" situation. Hitters hit again. He's gotta rehabilitate, and he should be punished for it..just on principle.

you make some good points ,especially the age factor. If he was 25 or more he would be looked at much different

speakout4
09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
If John the UPS driver had no prior criminal record he would have got probabtion

inho
So does the prior conviction count? Was he a juvenile for his prior offense? Is he on probation still?

ChicagoJ
09-08-2010, 11:48 PM

inho

Perhaps. But that's still an awfully generous deal for a crime with a minimum sentence of 3.5 years in prison for the first offense. Obvioulsy there is negotiating room for a sentence less than the minimum, but if it ends up in trial and John the UPS driver is guilty then he better follow Plexiglass's lead and hire a "how to go to prison" consultant because the law says 3.5 years is the minimum.

And in Lance's case, to accept a plea bargain also requires him to admit to being guilty of something. And in his case, admitting guilt over any part of this is likely to be enough to allow the Pacers to void his contract and it will be a while before he'll be able to prove that he's handled his anger management issues to any NBA team. He was only a second-round longshot anyway... its not like teams were all that interested in him before this incident.

Kstat
09-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I believe the initial plea offer was for 1 year, and he turned it down.

ChicagoJ
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Given that Bloomberg wanted to make an example out of Plexiglass to show he was serious about having that law enforced, I'm skeptical that a one-year sentence was truly on the table for him. The ESPN article says the negotiations broke down and went to the grand jury because the DA was insisting that Burress spend at least two years in prison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4411373

And thus, celebrity-athlete status can work against you, as well as for you, depending on other factors. Lots of people claimed the Club Rio/ Cloud 9 charges were overstated because the prosecutor wanted to appear to be a tough guy. It cuts both ways.