PDA

View Full Version : Walsh rejects 3 way trade for Fernandez sending A. Randolph to Indiana

zaldylee
09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
I am new here in this site. I would like to say hello to all of you nice people here. I am from the Philippines and have been a very long Indiana Pacers fan. For starters, I read that Walsh rejected a 3 way trade between Portland and New york whereas the latter will be getting Rudy Fernandez, Indiana will have Anthony Randolph and the Blazers will have the pacers 1st round pick next year. That's from Hoopsworld. Thanks

BKK
09-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Per Hoopsworld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp

Source: Walsh Rejects 3-Team Rudy Deal
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:18:00 AM
Source: Frank Isola of the New York Daily News

Rudy Fernandez continues to lobby for a trade to New York, but the Knicks either can't or won't make a trade for the Portland shooting guard.

According to a team source, Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected a three-team deal that would have sent Anthony Randolph to Indiana, a first-round pick to Portland and Fernandez to New York.

Because the Trail Blazers are insisting on receiving a first-round pick in return for Fernandez, the Knicks likely need to recruit a third team in order to complete a deal.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp#ixzz0yTNmn67v

Wonder which player was supposed to be sent out...

pacergod2
09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Wow. Interesting. It did get leaked, so maybe there are no "legs" to this rumor anymore.

BKK
09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Like the idea of getting A. Randolph, that would perfectly fit with what Bird's been doing this summer. We would have another young prospect with lots of potential at the 4. Another position "solved"...

tsm612
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-reject-three-team-deal-for-Fernandez-?urn=nba-267214

Knicks reject three-team deal for Fernandez?
By Mark J. Miller

Portland Trail Blazers shooting guard Rudy Fernandez(notes) is trying hard to get himself out of the City of Roses, saying that he'll never play there again. He's been rumored to be interested in heading to the other coast and joining the New York Knicks.

But the Knicks aren't having it for some reason, according to the New York Daily News. The paper is reporting that team president Donnie Walsh said no recently to a three-team deal that would have brought Fernandez to the Knicks.
A team source tells the paper that the deal would have had Anthony Randolph(notes) moving to the Indiana Pacers and a first-round pick from the Pacers to the Trail Blazers.

Speed
09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Would you give up a future #1 for Anthony Randolph, if you are the Pacers?

Jackson-Shuffle
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I would send out anyone not named Danny, Darren, Paul or Roy and a 1st rounder to get this deal done. Maybe they would be interested in Lance or Brandon.

ensergio
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Here is the link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/09/03/2010-09-03_source_new_york_knicks_president_donnie_walsh_r ecently_rejected_deal_for_rudy_fe.html?r=sports/basketball/knicks&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nydnrss/spo

I like that trade

Speed
09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Randolph just turned 21 in July, wow.

zaldylee
09-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe we can send B Rush back to them together with that first round pick?

BKK
09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I guess I'd be ok with sending Rush or Lance and right to swap picks with Portland...

Jackson-Shuffle
Am i wrong or I thought that the knicks couldnt move Randolph until around Dec since they just picked him up?

count55

Maybe...depending on the protection.

The more important question is, "Why would the Knicks give up Randolph for Fernandez?"

The more important answer seems to be, "They wouldn't."

count55
09-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Am i wrong or I thought that the knicks couldnt move Randolph until around Dec since they just picked him up?

That's only for Free Agent signings. They can trade him by himself at any time, but they'd have to wait two months from the time of their acquisition (sometime in mid-to-late-September) to package him with other players.

Doddage
09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe...depending on the protection.

The more important question is, "Why would the Knicks give up Randolph for Fernandez?"

The more important answer seems to be, "They wouldn't."
And also, "Why wouldn't the Blazers just take Randolph for themselves?"

Jackson-Shuffle
09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I would offer a top 6 protected 1st rounder and either Rush/Lance in the deal. Randolph is still raw and at 21 he has unlimited room to grow...we have the space and minutes for that growth...this could be one dangerous lineup

Collison
George
Granger
Randolph
Hibbert

Skaut_Ech
09-03-2010, 10:03 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/09/03/2010-09-03_source_new_york_knicks_president_donnie_walsh_r ecently_rejected_deal_for_rudy_fe.html

Rudy Fernandez continues to lobby for a trade to New York, but the Knicks either can't or won't make a trade for the Portland shooting guard.
According to a team source, Knicks president Donnie Walsh recently rejected a three-team deal that would have sent Anthony Randolph to Indiana, a first-round pick to Portland and Fernandez to New York.
Because the Trail Blazers are insisting on receiving a first-round pick in return for Fernandez, the Knicks likely need to recruit a third team in order to complete a deal. The Blazers apparently have little interest in Wilson Chandler. Fernandez, who is currently playing for Spain at the world championships in Turkey, was fined by the NBA for publicly asking for a trade.

I guess I'm okay with this. I think Randolph has a ton of that old cliche, "potential" and he could be a pseudo beast, but I'm thinking in terms of development, he's not at a stage that is compatible with what we have. I would have liked, not loved the trade, but I'm hoping we can get more of a veteran presence at PF.

Speed
09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
I guess I could make a case for Fernandez in NY, depending on what you think of Rudy.

NYs depth chart at SG is Bill Walker and Keleena Azubuike, so Fernandez would be an upgrade in the scoring dept, especially in a D'Antonio up tempo system. Also, Randolph is maybe more of a Power Forward than Center (at least girth wise) and NY has Gallnari and Amare at that position.

Just some thoughts, I also see the other side of the coin for NY and them being high on Randolph and not that high on Rudy.

I'd trade a protected #1 too, with decreasing protection, since you hope the farther in the future the pick is, the worse it will be... you hope.

I hate trading #1s though, but Randolph coud be really something.

I remember him playing the Pacers and he is so long and does have some skills. Reminds of Bosh some.

count55
09-03-2010, 10:08 AM
And also, "Why wouldn't the Blazers just take Randolph for themselves?"

Why would they?

Doesn't seem to be an overly pressing need for him, and they may prefer having the option of selecting their own player over taking him.

He's a talented guy, but jury is still way out on him. He missed 49 games due to injury last season, and he's still pretty raw. Also, where does he project with Portland? He's not going to supplant Aldridge, and I'm not sure you'd want him playing next to Aldridge either in a small lineup or with Randolph at the 3.

Randolph makes sense to teams like the Knicks and the Pacers, who are in pretty much in the "Why the **** not?" mode, but Portland has to win at a very high level now, and Randolph may not be conducive to that. They need to solidify what they're doing, not bring in more wild cards.

Besides, they're over the luxury tax, and while Allen can certainly afford it, there's no real compelling reason to throw the $3.8mm away in their situation.

pwee31
09-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Interesting. Bird is swinging for the fences this summer. Too bad we couldn't get it done.

Looks like Portland wants a 1st for Fernandez, and the Knicks want to hold onto Randolph, which is understandable since he was the main part of the David Lee deal

diamonddave00
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Anthony Randolph is extremely young but has great potential. He's still raw but would fit great here , he is very thin and not real wide across the shoulders not sure how his body would take big minutes at the 4. But he can score and depending on how protected the 1st rounder is could be well worth taking a shot at.

Getting him this earlier in his career could be similiar to when the Pacers acquired a very young Jermaine O'Neal. A player who blossoms quickly when given steady minutes. He had problems with Don Nelson at Golden State over playing time but was a scoring machine in the summer leagues with the Warriors.

BPump33
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I would love to have Randolph, but we don't even have a spot for Rolle as of now.

I definitely think we are going to see another move or two and soon.

pianoman
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
I hope Walsh reconsiders.

Pacers2012
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
At this point it could be anyone leaving besides dg,dc,paul,roy,rolle, or tyler. We were gonna make a deal regardless if rush got in trouble or not. Same thing with Lance too. Portland to me would want a wing since they are pretty good down low. So maybe Rush, lance or possibly dunleavys expiring and a 1st.

Hopefully Walsh feels bad for leaving Indy in such a bad situation and wants to help us rebuild a lil through a trade. Knicks will always pay for talent anyways so losing randolph is no sweat off his back.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Donnie Walsh, you big jerk!!

Man that would have been sweeeeeeeeeet

At least we know Bird is not playin

Man
Collison
George
Granger
Randolph
Hibbert

That would be a playoff team

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 10:29 AM

In a freakin NY minute!!!!!!!!!

pizza guy
09-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Despite this one being turned down, it's still encouraging that it wasn't just lip service from Bird/Morway about not being done this summer. Bird is out there trying to get guys we can actually be excited about. Adding Randolph to the mix of young talent we're putting together would have definitely been great. Leave to Donnie Walsh to screw us up even after he's gone...

We'll see something else this summer, I'm looking forward to it.

--pizza

pianoman
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
We'll see something else this summer, I'm looking forward to it.

--pizza

Yeah, I'm excited about signing Lou too! :laugh:

DGPR
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Can we send a second rounder to New York also? This would complete what we've been looking for and our Summer would be a massive success.

pwee31
09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
If I woke up and this deal would have been accepted I would have been a happy camper. DC, PG, DG, Randolph and Big Roy is a nice young starting 5 nucleus.

Unclebuck
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't know, but I heard an interview several months ago and I will admit I don't remember it well, but a Warriors beat writer was being interviewed and he had some very negative things to say about Randolph in regards to work ethic, basketball IQ, attitude and knowing how to play basketball. He was rather critical of him. Suugesting that sure he has athletic talent, but nothing upstairs.

Obviously he is very young, so who knows

Shade
09-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't think this deal is completely dead yet. Remember, the Pacers tried to get Collison (and Peja, back in the day) for weeks/months before it finally happened. Maybe the Pacers and Knicks just need a different trading partner.

DGPR
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I'm excited about signing Lou too! :laugh:

Lou would be the real steal of the summer.

imawhat
09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't know, but I heard an interview several months ago and I will admit I don't remember it well, but a Warriors beat writer was being interviewed and he had some very negative things to say about Randolph in regards to work ethic, basketball IQ, attitude and knowing how to play basketball. He was rather critical of him. Suugesting that sure he has athletic talent, but nothing upstairs.

Yep. Extremely crafty offensively (and extremely gifted scrorer but a black hole) but very low IQ, terrible defender in line with Murphy (extremely slow, laterally), even worse attitude. He'd be a terrible, terrible fit next to Hibbert and likely bad fit with team chemistry. You're basically getting a poor man's Zach Randolph without the rebounding and worse defense.

So glad this trade didn't go down. We just got better defensively...no reason to sink us again.

DGPR
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Yep. Extremely crafty offensively (and extremely gifted scrorer but a black hole) but very low IQ, terrible defender in line with Murphy (extremely slow, laterally), even worse attitude. He'd be a terrible, terrible fit next to Hibbert and likely bad fit with team chemistry. You're basically getting a poor man's Zach Randolph without the rebounding and worse defense.

So glad this trade didn't go down. We just got better defensively...no reason to sink us again.

How good is anybody defensively in Nellie's system?

Unclebuck
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks. And those type of things you don't notice if you only see a player 2 games a season and even then in limited time. That is why in a lot of cases, players from other teams often seem better but you acquire them and see them play every game and you realize, oh, now we know why the Warriors were willing to trade the guy

Certain players the more you see the more you realize they aren't as good as you thought. Other players the more you see, you then realize they are better than you thought.

odeez
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Having watched Anthony play many times here in Oaktown. Kid has a lot of talent and would be a lot of fun to watch. If it were to happen where would the Pacers play him, the 4? He is thin as a rail, not going to be a banger that is for sure... His shot block abilty would be huge. The biggest issue here was his maturity and emotions, though he is still really young and Don Nelson was the coach. I would be willing to give him a look, but don't see the deal happening.

Unclebuck
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
How good is anybody defensively in Nellie's system?

you can't coach lateral quickness and basketball IQ.

ChicagoJ
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM

We've tried the Al Harrington expiriment. Twice.

Pacers2012
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't think this deal is completely dead yet. Remember, the Pacers tried to get Collison (and Peja, back in the day) for weeks/months before it finally happened. Maybe the Pacers and Knicks just need a different trading partner.

Ya I think this trade isn't dead just yet. This does reasure us the fans that we are going to get another deal done though. Really we are the ones that make the trade tricky since we need to ship 2 players to sign rolle. I know were not going to wait around for the knicks since training camp starts soon. There is also the Kings who have too many PFs and need wing help. Rush or Lance would make sense for them. Plus I would like to see jason thompson in a indy jersey. He is listed as a C but, looks athletic enough to be a pf and he has a good midrange game. He averaged 12.5 and 8.5 last year and is only due 2mil in 2010. If we added him or randolph its possible our team would be the lowest paid but, most talented team of any small market teams.

imawhat
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
It's not the system, just like it wasn't O'Briens system with Murphy. Randolph's not quick enough laterally to guard any position. He's too weak to guard strong power forwards/centers, not quick enough to alter penetration or recover from pick and rolls. Basically, there's no position he can guard defensively and no defensive scheme that will mask his weaknesses.

You just have to hope we play Golden State every night so we can put him on Biedrins.

odeez
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I think Randolph will get better, the biggest problem he had was maturity. He gave a 110% every game I saw him play. He just couldn't manage his emotions very well.

imawhat
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Not a lot here, but in my second Tyler Hansbrough review I posted clips of his game vs. Golden State.

You'll see Randolph's defense in a couple of the clips (see link). When Tyler realizes that Randolph is too weak AND too slow to guard him, he starts attacking him.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/wordpress/?p=84

odeez
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
It's not the system, just like it wasn't O'Briens system with Murphy. Randolph's not quick enough laterally to guard any position. He's too weak to guard strong power forwards/centers, not quick enough to alter penetration or recover from pick and rolls. Basically, there's no position he can guard defensively and no defensive scheme that will mask his weaknesses.

You just have to hope we play Golden State every night so we can put him in Biedrins.

I agree with you about him not being able to guard stronger PF a quicker players, but he did make up for it in other areas with his length and shot blocking. I still think maybe you take a chance. Watching him at the Oracle was a lot of fun. He just couldn't keep is emotions in check, plus Donnie was in his head. It's a tough one, cause he has so much talent and showed it often, but he will continue to have problems in the post outside shot blocking. He is still so young he will get stronger...

pizza guy
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I am new here in this site. I would like to say hello to all of you nice people here. I am from the Philippines and have been a very long Indiana Pacers fan. For starters, I read that Walsh rejected a 3 way trade between Portland and New york whereas the latter will be getting Rudy Fernandez, Indiana will have Anthony Randolph and the Blazers will have the pacers 1st round pick next year. That's from Hoopsworld. Thanks

Welcome to the Digest!! :dance:

imawhat
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
We've tried the Al Harrington expiriment. Twice.

Yep, maybe even better than the Zach comparison. They're very similar players in principle (though Harrington had the aptitude to play good defense).

aaronb
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I hate trading future picks for a guy with only 2 years of club control. For all the hope some have, this is still a 35 win team.

So does it make sense to trade a lotto pick for Randolph? The same Randolph that Bird picked Rush (Bayless) instead of 2 season's ago?

Might as welll stay the course at this point.

LA_Confidential
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM
As if I really needed another reason to loathe the Knicks.

Shade
09-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I hate trading future picks for a guy with only 2 years of club control. For all the hope some have, this is still a 35 win team.

So does it make sense to trade a lotto pick for Randolph? The same Randolph that Bird picked Rush (Bayless) instead of 2 season's ago?

Might as welll stay the course at this point.

Bird also picked Hansbrough ahead of Collison. Should we give Collison back?

If anything, your claim kind of supports trading a draft pick for Randolph because Bird makes lousy draft picks.

aaronb
09-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Bird also picked Hansbrough ahead of Collison. Should we give Collison back?

If anything, your claim kind of supports trading a draft pick for Randolph because Bird makes lousy draft picks.

The hope is that we get a competent front office guy to make roster decisions after this season.

BRushWithDeath
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Would it be a better move than signing Amundson? Yes.

Would it be a good move? No.

Speed
09-03-2010, 12:14 PM
People really don't like Lou that much!

I guess I'm a sucker for a role player.

BRushWithDeath
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
People really don't like Lou that much!

I guess I'm a sucker for a role player.

I like role players. I don't like having a bunch of redundant role players.

Is he as good as Hansbrough or McRoberts? I don't think so. Is he better than Foster and Solomon Jones? Probably but not enough to justify a signing. We don't need another energy big. Especially if they sign Rolle.

He could come in and be the 3rd PF for this team but I don't think that is worth a signing. Even for the minimum. I'd rather sign Rolle for less to be the 5th big. And I've been on record as not thinking a whole lot of Rolle.

Speed
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I like role players. I don't like having a bunch of redundant role players.

Is he as good as Hansbrough or McRoberts? I don't think so. Is he better than Foster and Solomon Jones? Probably but not enough to justify a signing. We don't need another energy big. Especially if they sign Rolle.

He could come in and be the 3rd PF for this team but I don't think that is worth a signing. Even for the minimum. I'd rather sign Rolle for less to be the 5th big. And I've been on record as not thinking a whole lot of Rolle.

Not to keep going off thread topic. I see Lou as insurance for now, practice player ongoing, and a rotation guy maybe next year.

I'd guess Jeff and Solo are not coming back after this year. Leaves you McBob, not a proven commodity, Hansbrough uncertain future and a 25 year old rookie essentially, and Magnum who turns 25 early next year, I think. Not really a full cupboard looking past this year.

Jeff and Hansbrough weren't available the majority of last year, let's say they go down again, well then you're hurting now too.

If you can get a solid rotation guy for the vet min or close, who doesn't make you vomit a little in your mouth, I don't see the downside.

Worst case, a great practice player in a roster slot for 2-3 years for cheap.

Best case, a physical - pain in the butt 20 minute a night back up big next year.

I just don't see the downside. He's like a low risk/medium to low reward guy.

I think he can give you what Jeff did the last 10 years on a lower level for the next 3 years, just my opinion.

Between youth/health/inexperience I'd sign him if at all possible. He's not the answer at PF, but he could be a piece you like moving forward on you team.

Now back to Randolph :)

CableKC
09-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes.....based on what I have seen of him at GSW...I would. But DW coveted Randolph and Gallinari in that draft....now that he has both...he's not going to give up on him.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I would love to have Randolph, but we don't even have a spot for Rolle as of now.

I definitely think we are going to see another move or two and soon.
If we somehow had the option to get Randolph, couldn't buy Solo out ( for whatever reason ) to save a roster spot and it meant that we had to not sign Magnum....I'd be disappointed for a second then be satisfied that we somehow got Randolph.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't get the sense that this is situation where the Pacers/Knicks are looking for a different Trading partner type of scenario.

My guess it that any involvement in all this is coming mostly from the Pacers end. My guess is that Bird / FO learned that the Blazers are interested in getting a 1st rounder with Fernandez, that the Knicks were interested in Rudy and Bird / FO called Donnie and the Blazers up and offered the 1st round pick for Randolph.

Speed
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't get the sense that this is situation where the Pacers/Knicks are looking for a different Trading partner type of scenario.

My guess it that any involvement in all this is coming mostly from the Pacers end. My guess is that Bird / FO learned that the Blazers are interested in getting a 1st rounder with Fernandez, that the Knicks were interested in Rudy and Bird / FO called Donnie and the Blazers up and offered the 1st round pick for Randolph.

I think Donnie would be smarter to just take the Pacers 1st rounder for Randolph, maybe. Then he'd have a decent bargaining chip to acquire a Melo. I guess Randolph could serve that same purpose, but picks are so coveted.

Justin Tyme
09-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't see Walsh trading Anthony after just getting him when he has always liked Anthony.

I prefer Bird getting an experienced vet for PF. The Pacers don't need another inexperienced PF to add to the ones they already have. I'm not sold on McBob, Hans and Foster with injury problems, Rolle a rookie, and Solo a bench filler. The Pacers need a solid PF not another filler or one with "P".

pacers74
09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I think Donnie would be smarter to just take the Pacers 1st rounder for Randolph, maybe. Then he'd have a decent bargaining chip to acquire a Melo. I guess Randolph could serve that same purpose, but picks are so coveted.

I was just reading a Knicks board and that is what they think, also. They would rather have the pick over Rudy. I personally like Rudy as a player, but he is a bad apple. He only wants to go to New York, so that doesn't give Portland much leverage.

Major Cold
09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Low IQ? Check
Quick athletic player who fails to use that on defense? Check
Rail thin? Yes
Stuck between perimeter play and post play? Check
Offensive production outside of structured offense? Check
Considered raw and needs steady minutes to prove himself? Check
Highly coveted by Donny Walsh? Check

Do we reallywant another Bender experiment here? ____please leave unchecked

Major Cold
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Low IQ? Check
Rail thin? Yes

Do we reallywant another Bender experiment here? ____please leave blank

pacers74
09-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Low IQ? Check
Rail thin? Yes

Do we reallywant another Bender experiment here? ____please leave blank

Walsh has Bender and Randolph. If we wanted Bender, I'm sure Donnie would give us to him for our first pick next year. :laugh:

d_c
09-03-2010, 02:04 PM

Randolph comes from a military family and he does put in work during the offseason.

His problem is that he doesn't understand how to play the game, but he thinks he does. And going one step further than that, he thinks he's entitled to more minutes than what he's gotten so far. That's the biggest problem Nellie and the Warriors had with him. It's that as a rookie, he started demanding minutes. When he didn't get them, he asked for a trade. All this from a 19 year old picked in the late lottery.

Having said that, he can still be a player of value in this league. He has length and athleticism. He can make hustle plays. He'll never be KG or anything close to KG, though. He's just way to rough around the edges offensively.

He's not a playmaker and he's also not a guy who you can throw the ball to and expect him to go to work and score. He's a a taller, lefthanded Tyrus Thomas at this point. He could be better than that, though. He's just not as good and most likely never will be as good as he thinks he is. And that would describe many players in this league, but not many of those players started making trade demands when they were 19 years old.

All that being said, if the Pacers could get Randolph for a protected 1st rounder next year, they should do it.

Psyren
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I imagine something is still in the works on this deal. Maybe we need to sweeten the pot, maybe a different team or 2 teams added to the deal.

However, I feel if Larry truly wants Randolph, he'll find a way to get it done.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Low IQ? Check
Rail thin? Yes

Do we reallywant another Bender experiment here? ____please leave unchecked
I was thinking that this is exactly what DW is aiming for when it comes to Randolph. AR is the typical Player that is "athletic, has height, has that, has this, can leap tall buildings in a single bound that is considered raw and has a low Basketball IQ but has a very high ceiling" that DW loves to chases.

NOTE - I'm not comparing AR to Bender from a skills POV....I'm saying that DW is the type that focuses more on potential and other factors while ignoring other facets of ones games.

I will admit that I wouldn't mind chasing AR if it just cost us a 1st round pick as I am a fan of his game....but I did not know that he was a low basketball IQ type player. Still, I don't mind chasing him as I do not think that all Players with high ceilings MUST have a high Basketball IQ.

CableKC
09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I imagine something is still in the works on this deal. Maybe we need to sweeten the pot, maybe a different team or 2 teams added to the deal.

Hmm.....DW...what do you think of another player with potential?

How about something surrounding Rudy+Lance going to the Knicks, Randolph going to the Pacers and 1st going to Portland? :chin:

:signit:

Peck
09-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Not to derail the thread but I was watching Imawhat's video and I had forgotten how just freaken huge Tyler is compared to other players. We know he has been hitting the weights heavy and hard this year, my God how big will he be.

I just hope he doesn't lose mobility over the issue.

Foul on Smits
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Please don't sweeten the pot. I'd like Brandon Rush to make it to training camp on time.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Not to derail the thread but I was watching Imawhat's video and I had forgotten how just freaken huge Tyler is compared to other players. We know he has been hitting the weights heavy and hard this year, my God how big will he be.

I just hope he doesn't lose mobility over the issue.

The weightlifiting is great, but strength was never a problem with Tyler, he was already strong

I think he should have been right there with Roy working with Bill Walton. This is not football its basketball. Tyler needs to work on his timming, footwork, and verticle leap, weights are irrelevannt at this point

JMHO

Trophy
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I would've rather traded a player under contract like Brandon for Anthony Randolph.

I do like Randolph. I think he has the potential to become a more aggressive post defender. He's getting there. He's put on more weight/muscle and can block shots.

PacerGuy
09-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd offer to send Dun & S.Jones to NY for E.Curry & Anthony!

Buy out Curry & use the roster spot for Rolle, & if Tyler is healthy, we have some skilled, athletic bigs.
I also hope the Lance things "works out" so he stays. I'd love to see him play w/ this group.

If we can not get Cha to do a TJ for Dampier deal & save that cash, I'd do this! Wonder if this would do it, or what NY would need to pull the trigger?

vnzla81
09-03-2010, 06:42 PM
How good is anybody defensively in JOB's system?

Fixed ;)

S.R.E.C.A.P
09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Here is a recent tweet from BigRoy's account:

-----------------------------------------------------

Hoya2aPacer

Tyler Hans in back in town. Nice to see him. Looks like he has been lifting boulders all summer. Another young guy working hard. Nice!!!!!!!

Very encouraging from all the young pacers this season. Not getting Randolph this summer would not be so bad. I wouldn't mind a constant rotation of Energy guys such as Hans/Bobs/Rolle to keep spamming the opposing teams. Hopefully down the line we can package our picks along with Rush/Lance or expiring's for a defensive 4.

also for interest:

here is another tweet from Big Roy:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoya2aPacer

At the indy airport right now. Got a flight at 3. Anyone wanna in Pacer Nation at the airport wanna talk hoops I am at gate A14.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He is a PR dream and is exactly what we need right now. Gotta Love 55! :dance:

Tom White
09-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Randolph comes from a military family and he does put in work during the offseason.

His problem is that he doesn't understand how to play the game, but he thinks he does. And going one step further than that, he thinks he's entitled to more minutes than what he's gotten so far. That's the biggest problem Nellie and the Warriors had with him. It's that as a rookie, he started demanding minutes. When he didn't get them, he asked for a trade. All this from a 19 year old picked in the late lottery.

Having said that, he can still be a player of value in this league. He has length and athleticism. He can make hustle plays. He'll never be KG or anything close to KG, though. He's just way to rough around the edges offensively.

He's not a playmaker and he's also not a guy who you can throw the ball to and expect him to go to work and score. He's a a taller, lefthanded Tyrus Thomas at this point. He could be better than that, though. He's just not as good and most likely never will be as good as he thinks he is. And that would describe many players in this league, but not many of those players started making trade demands when they were 19 years old.

All that being said, if the Pacers could get Randolph for a protected 1st rounder next year, they should do it.

I agree with your assessment of his downfalls, but I question the last line.

Are you saying that ALL a 1st round pick is worth, is a moron who thinks too much of himself, and isn't that good to begin with?

My description of him just above is what I see in him. I think a first round pick is worth a lot more than that.

tsm612
09-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Here is a recent tweet from BigRoy's account:

Hoya2aPacer

Tyler Hans in back in town. Nice to see him. Looks like he has been lifting boulders all summer. Another young guy working hard. Nice!!!!!!!

Very encouraging from all the young pacers this season. Not getting Randolph this summer would not be so bad. I wouldn't mind a constant rotation of Energy guys such as Hans/Bobs/Rolle to keep spamming the opposing teams. Hopefully down the line we can package our picks along with Rush/Lance or expiring's for a defensive 4.

also for interest:

here is another tweet from Big Roy:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoya2aPacer

At the indy airport right now. Got a flight at 3. Anyone wanna in Pacer Nation at the airport wanna talk hoops I am at gate A14.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He is a PR dream and is exactly what we need right now. Gotta Love 55! :dance:

Am I the only one who expects Roy to overtake Danny as the face of the franchise?

pwee31
09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
http://twitter.com/alanhahn

Updating Rudy Fernandez rumors: #nyknicks turned down offer from IND of 1st Rnd pick for Randolph. POR not involved, tho. More...

...POR previously rejected #nyknicks offer of two 2nd Rnders for Rudy.

Of course the #nyknicks could have used IND's 1st Rounder to get Rudy (POR's asking price), but clearly Knicks don't want Rudy that badly.

I don't see Portland getting a 1st round pick for Rudy after all the drama between those 2. Not unless it's Championship caliber team thinking he can get them over the hump

ChristianDudley
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
If I were Larry Bird, I'd be offering more than just a future 1st round pick for Anthony Randolph imo...Maybe add a player to the 1st round pick, such as McRoberts, Solo, Lance, maybe Rush if Larry Bird is really looking hard to get rid of him now?? I want to keep Rush, but if Larry is trying to dump him, I'd take A.R. for him.

ChristianDudley
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
You know, I'd love to move T.J. Ford to the Knicks for Anthony Randolph, but I'd believe we'd have to take back someone else from NY, and I can't really think of anybody else I'd like to have on our team other than Amar'e lol.

KennerLeaguer
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Amen!!!

The love for Anthony Randolph on internet message boards just proves that NBA fans are generally more clueless about true value in their sport than other fans of other major league sports. When guys can dunk and display amazing bursts of athleticism, their negatives tend to be overlooked. Like Tyrus Randolph needed more than one year of school in order to develop a more NBA ready offensive game. The league continues to hurt itself when teams draft "Potential" Players who are not ready for the big leagues.

BornReady
09-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Am I the only one who expects Roy to overtake Danny as the face of the franchise?

Yes, because Roy is already overtaking Danny as the face of the franchise :)

pwee31
09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I wonder who else we have or would offer a 1st round pick for? Taj Gibson, Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, Jordan Hill. Just thinking about other young PFs we may be targeting? You would think a player would be involved giving our roster situation?

It's strange b/c Anthony Randolph wasn't even someone I had on our PF radar. I knew it was a little too quiet after the comments Bird made about not thinking that we're done making moves. And you would think you want to have the roster set before training camp at the end of the month.

I think we'll hear or see a few more whispers the upcoming weeks.

odeez
09-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Yes, because Roy is already overtaking Danny as the face of the franchise :)

I am beginning to think so as well. I expect him to really take a leap this year as a player and a leader on the team.

Trophy
09-04-2010, 08:50 AM

It's not like we can't have 2 faces of the franchise.

dlewyus
09-04-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyybTWnyaY

Doddage
09-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Why would they?

Doesn't seem to be an overly pressing need for him, and they may prefer having the option of selecting their own player over taking him.

He's a talented guy, but jury is still way out on him. He missed 49 games due to injury last season, and he's still pretty raw. Also, where does he project with Portland? He's not going to supplant Aldridge, and I'm not sure you'd want him playing next to Aldridge either in a small lineup or with Randolph at the 3.

Randolph makes sense to teams like the Knicks and the Pacers, who are in pretty much in the "Why the **** not?" mode, but Portland has to win at a very high level now, and Randolph may not be conducive to that. They need to solidify what they're doing, not bring in more wild cards.

Besides, they're over the luxury tax, and while Allen can certainly afford it, there's no real compelling reason to throw the $3.8mm away in their situation.
I think it would benefit both the Blazers and Randolph actually. For Randolph, he'd have the opportunity to learn and play in a very good system. Sure, minutes would be competitive, but I think he'd find a nice niche coming off the bench behind Aldridge. He's not a reliable starter at this point anyway. Being a part of a playoff team certainly wouldn't hurt his development, either.

From the Blazers POV, I don't see why they wouldn't want to replace Fernandez with someone that could play right now. To boot, they're in need of a backup 4 since all they have at the moment is an aging Marcus Camby and an inexperienced Jeff Pendergraph. At his worst, Randolph would give them an athletic presence who could run the floor and finish on fast breaks. Also, if any one of their big men goes down, which Portland has a history of, Randolph would fit in nicely.

To your point about him being a wild card, wouldn't a draft pick be the very same thing? At least you know what you're getting in Randolph and if you take potential into account, you could end up getting more from him down the line.

PacersPride
09-04-2010, 09:07 PM
per this article, it was the pacers who offered up a 1st for randolph. the blazers were not involved.

Alan Hahn of Newsday writes that the previous report involving a rumored three-way trade between the Trail Blazers, Knicks and Pacers was not accurate.

The Pacers offered to send the pick for Anthony Randolph but the Blazers were not involved in the proposed deal.

Knicks' president Donnie Walsh declined the offer

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68971/20100904/pacers_offered_pick_for_randolph_but_blazers_not_i nvolved/#ixzz0yc3VtZXS
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68971/20100904/pacers_offered_pick_for_randolph_but_blazers_not_i nvolved/

not sure if this implys Hansbrough is not healthy, or if the pacers just really like randolphs potential. i am not a fan of trading draft picks, but it looks like Bird is being very aggressive in order to find a PF.

just how the heck we were gonna find a roster spot for him though is anyones guess. maybe Lance and Solo would of been cut in order to bring in Rolle also; or we found a taker for TJ in charlotte but not likely.

Walsh wouldnt want to do anything that would help Bird look good I dont think.

MillerTime
09-05-2010, 01:26 AM
even though we didnt get Randolph, Im glad to see that kind of players that Bird is interested in getting. The Collison pickup was huge for this team. It seems that Bird is looking for young (long term) talent.

I would seriously consider moving Rush and a protected top 14 pick to NY for Randolph

Collison
George
Granger
Randolph
Hibbert

That is a bright future

Justin Tyme
09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Walsh wouldnt want to do anything that would help Bird look good I dont think.

You could put David Kahn and Zeke in the same category as well.