PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird's Pacers take another hit

indyblue47
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Larry-Bird-s-Pacers-take-another-hit;_ylt=AoSjYtiLxCsf91awPk.Jjo.8vLYF?urn=nba-266635

Wed Sep 01 07:30am PDT
Larry Bird's Pacers take another hit
By Kelly Dwyer

You go into reading a column - and it's your typical heavy-handed, arms-folded, treatise on what's gone terribly wrong - and you're ready to hate it. Thinking that you've read it before, you've heard this tsk-tsk'ing before, and that it's all a bit boring and needless.

And then you read the column. In this case, by Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star. And it's pretty spot on. Brandon Rush(notes) managed to flunk three drug tests for marijuana, in-season drug tests for marijuana, and the Pacer guard has been suspended five games as a result. Two things tend to follow.

First? The Pacers don't need Rush. He's terrible, and he's a pothead.

Second? How does Larry Bird keep getting away with all this, and keep a job?

The initial aspect can't be denied. It was bandied about on several sites last year that, of all the NBA regulars in 2009-10, Rush was by far the most ineffective. Delving deeper, in terms of production and efficiency, of all the starters this league has seen for decades, Rush was absolutely the pits. He just doesn't do ... anything. He had a nice end to his rookie season in 2008-09, promised much, and delivered nothing. If 2009-10 was any indication, he deserves to be a training camp invitee, and little else.

And, yes, "he's a pothead" is a fact. As Kravitz pointed out, the NBA doesn't test for the sticky during the offseason. Which means Rush had to flunk a test three times during the regular season, when all he had to do was wait until the third week of April to spark up.

Now, we're bound to get into a back and forth on the would-be/should-be legality of marijuana. I still feel that it is borderline ridiculous that we're still governed by the fears that Harry Anslinger brought up about "jazz cigarettes" and the crazies that supposedly use them. And if the stuff were legal, NBA players would be far from crazy in using this stuff in moderation.

NBA players are beat to hell during the regular season, and they work unorthodox hours meant to entertain us during the downtime after our typical 9-to-5 shift. Which means these guys are showered, cleaned up (per NBA guidelines on dress codes), and coming down off of a major adrenaline rush (no pun intended) around the same time your late local news comes on. That's hard to cool off from. You don't just roll into bed after that. You need a release.

And I'm sure you'd all agree with me that, um, mellowing out a bit back at the hotel room before diving in for a spot of Madden is a lot safer than downing, in spirit form (at levels that a 6-10 guy needs to mellow out), across the street at the downtown disco. To say nothing of the impaired judgment, and usual effect on a man's already-aggressive nature. If I'm a fan, I'd prefer my player's settling mode have more to do with a few hits whilst in front of a laptop or cathode tube ray, than another double with cranberry in public.

But the rules, anachronistic though they may be, are the rules. And the NBA borderline encourages a giant June-to-September smoke-o-thon. So how is it possible that you can't keep it clean, if even allowed two screwups that aren't ever reported, from Halloween until late April?
Rush decided, even with two strikes in his back pocket, to swing away. He was caught, again, and will have to sit five games out. Yet another misstep for a Pacer, drafted by Larry Bird.

Did I know that Brandon Rush was a herb enthusiast before he was drafted out of Kansas? No, of course not. I didn't even know which he hand he shot and/or smoked with. But that's not my gig. That's Larry's gig, and he has failed at it consistently in the years he's ostensibly been in charge. Yes, Donnie Walsh was around and helping out quite a bit following Larry's announced takeover in 2003, but these are Bird's guys, and they keep getting in trouble.

On top of that, the Pacers have done nothing, for years. I actually pegged them as championship contenders heading into 2004-05, but the melee involving Ron Artest(notes) and Jermaine O'Neal(notes) put an end to that. Rick Carlisle's coaching had a big impact in that team hanging in there and actually making it to the playoffs in 2005-06, but Bird turned Artest into what should have been Peja Stojakovic's(notes) expiring/rebuild-inducing contract before the summer of 2006, and instead he listened to Walsh and turned it into a new deal for Al Harrington(notes). Indiana, desperate for a rebuild, hasn't been the same since.

They've been treading water, and a half-decade after pulling in Big Al, the team is looking forward to cap space and a shot at starting over in 2011. Assuming there is such a thing as cap space, in the summer of 2011. Assuming there is a summer of 2011 that actually allows for teams to sign players. The labor vs. owner bargaining could blow everything up, on a couple of different levels.

And yet, Bird continues apace. He's not a total waste as a personnel chief, because the trade that brought in Darren Collison(notes) was more or less the steal of the summer if we don't count anyone taking their talents to South Beach. Bird has constantly acquired good players (at least the ones that have been in the league for a few years), with the caveat that he hasn't drafted good enough players. And Indiana, used to excellence following Walsh's run, doesn't want to be a part of it.

Which is unfortunate. Because there would be nothing cooler than a team run by Larry Bird and located in Indiana getting back to the top of the heap. But fans both frantic and fair-weather will want nothing to do with a team that hands its rotation to players who will be suspended before ever playing an NBA game, like Lance Stephenson(notes), or a guy that can't bothered to decline a hit of pot - for the third time, mind you - between October and April; knowing full well that he could exist solely in a haze of smoke once the summer starts.

And, more importantly, they're not going to want anything to do with a team that doesn't win. Unless the prospects for turnaround seem readily apparent, who would?

This is Larry's burden, and he's asking all of us to stay patient, and wait until 2011. I'm confident, because I think Larry Bird is a badass, as he's made a career out of morons doubting him at their own peril.

But the signs aren't right, and most personnel bosses would have been let go by now. And coming off the heels of yet another low-lottery trip, and yet another suspension, this isn't a good start to the hopeful last year of the old ways.

IndyHoosier
09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Yay!!!!! We're in the news again!!

90'sNBARocked
09-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, less than flattering to say the least.

I dont blame Bird one bit for Rush's lack of discipline/desire. I am sure he did all the homework necessary before hand

I like what Bird had done, and for being a big time doubter , I do believe now he will put the Pacers in a much better position after this year

ksuttonjr76
09-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Yay!!!!! We're in the news again!!

For something that's been reported a while ago. Joy.

Speed
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice article, very well written. I agree Larry is a badass.

Roaming Gnome
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
+2 for mentioning the idiocy of Harry Anslinger. Other than that.... Pretty Meh on this one!

Since86
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
First? The Pacers don't need Rush. He's terrible, and he's a pothead.

Second? How does Larry Bird keep getting away with all this, and keep a job?

The initial aspect can't be denied. It was bandied about on several sites last year that, of all the NBA regulars in 2009-10, Rush was by far the most ineffective. Delving deeper, in terms of production and efficiency, of all the starters this league has seen for decades, Rush was absolutely the pits. He just doesn't do ... anything. He had a nice end to his rookie season in 2008-09, promised much, and delivered nothing. If 2009-10 was any indication, he deserves to be a training camp invitee, and little else.

And, yes, "he's a pothead" is a fact. As Kravitz pointed out, the NBA doesn't test for the sticky during the offseason. Which means Rush had to flunk a test three times during the regular season, when all he had to do was wait until the third week of April to spark up.

Now, we're bound to get into a back and forth on the would-be/should-be legality of marijuana. I still feel that it is borderline ridiculous that we're still governed by the fears that Harry Anslinger brought up about "jazz cigarettes" and the crazies that supposedly use them. And if the stuff were legal, NBA players would be far from crazy in using this stuff in moderation.

I read a little more than this, but not all of it.

But first off. The team isn't even notified of a failed drug test until AFTER the 3rd. The writer openly admits that he didn't know Brandon was a user, and quite frankly, I bet most of you interact with a smoker every day and don't know it.

Unless the Pacers themselves start testing the players, they have to wait and find out just like the rest of us, unless a player is so stupid to show up completely blitzed to practice or a Pacer function, or unless he just openly admits it. :wave: Josh Howard.

You can't just get rid of a player because you think the MIGHT be smoking. And besides, Larry did try to move Rush, but the deal fell through at the last second because of the other side. Sorry if the writer feels like the Pacers should just cut him. That's just dumb.

Sookie
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think this is fair. For the most part, Larry has done a good job collecting a group of likeable, respectable young men, who are also good players. (with the obvious exception of Lance, if he's guilty)

He's got: Josh, Darren, Danny, Tyler, Josh, AJ, Brandon, Lance, Magnum, Paul, Roy..

He did a huge background check on Lance, and you know what, some things apparently got hidden, and we took a chance and got burnt. No harm done there really, just cut him.

Tyler also has illness. Unfortunate, but not in anyway shape or form Larry's fault. How could he know that?

And Brandon. I'm 99% sure Brandon is not the only member of this team that "lights one up." He's just the idiot that gets caught. (And no, he wasn't terrible. But I guess those that live off of stats might think so..) I'm not gonna blame Larry for having a pothead on the team..I think that's sort of a standard. :P

odeez
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
ugh!

Unclebuck
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
And Brandon. I'm 99% sure Brandon is not the only member of this team that "lights one up." He's just the idiot that gets caught. (And no, he wasn't terrible. But I guess those that live off of stats might think so..) I'm not gonna blame Larry for having a pothead on the team..I think that's sort of a standard. :P

Interesting take. I'm sure he isn't the only one who ever has. I'm sure he isn't the only one who has done it in the past year, or 6 months, or even 3 months. But I feel confident in saying he probably smokes more than anyone else on the team. Drug tests 3 positives in 2 seasons tell me that.

indygeezer
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
OK, I'll be the one to bring up my dislike for Jim O'Brian as coach....and LB's insistance on keeping him.

Trophy
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
This article is horrible.

Bird can't control what players do off the court.

In fact, Bird has done a great job this offseason by bringing in talented young guys.

clownskull
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
thought i would chime in a little extra something. the writer mentions that larry "listened" to donnie and brought in al harrington. i seem to recall a while back that there were a number of us here who were justifiably confused about who was calling the shots around here and boyle came by and let us know that until donnie left, walsh had final say on all the player transactions. that would include the harrington deal.
heck, it wasn't until walsh left that we were able to finally trade away jermaine. and i suspect if he hadn't left by then- jermaine would still have been around and not have been traded. i am sure bird had influence but, influence does not equal final say.
it ultimately was walsh's team until he left.

Bball
09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
thought i would chime in a little extra something. the writer mentions that larry "listened" to donnie and brought in al harrington. i seem to recall a while back that there were a number of us here who were justifiably confused about who was calling the shots around here and boyle came by and let us know that until donnie left, walsh had final say on all the player transactions. that would include the harrington deal.
heck, it wasn't until walsh left that we were able to finally trade away jermaine. and i suspect if he hadn't left by then- jermaine would still have been around and not have been traded. i am sure bird had influence but, influence does not equal final say.
it ultimately was walsh's team until he left.

I picked up on that too. So is the writer telling us something we didn't know (that Harrington was all DW's idea) or is he just presenting speculation as fact?

And I'd say 'listening' to your boss is a good idea so it's hard to see how Bird gets blamed for that one if the setup is correct and this was what DW wanted to do. In fact, it's exactly the other side of the coin when the argument turns to 'who to blame for what'. As long as Walsh was still here it's hard to say what moves (or lack of moves) were filtered thru the prism of doing what it's assumed Walsh would clearly sign off on (let alone what Walsh dictated or strongly suggested). It's why the protracted hand-off sucked so bad for everyone involved. If Bird was going to be a disaster then the quicker he was allowed to show it the better... rather than wasting any honeymoon period wondering who did what and whose vision we were seeing thru. ....and then with the franchise in the pits Bird's era truly begins and we don't know whether he's part of the reason we're in the pits, or our best hope to get out of them.

And extending and sticking with Jim O'Brien isn't the first sign he's our best hope to get out of them....

Shade
09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I love the irony in the thread title.

Sookie
09-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Interesting take. I'm sure he isn't the only one who ever has. I'm sure he isn't the only one who has done it in the past year, or 6 months, or even 3 months. But I feel confident in saying he probably smokes more than anyone else on the team. Drug tests 3 positives in 2 seasons tell me that.

Or he's the only one dumb enough to get caught during the season..:laugh: Unlikely but possible. Still, there is someway other guys aren't getting caught (coughodomcough) because Rush most likely doesn't smoke as much as anyone in the NBA.

I will say though, my point was that there was no way for Larry to know Brandon smokes as much as he apparently does. And Brandon choosing to smoke doesn't make him a guy with problems, or a "distraction"...he's just a bit of a knucklehead. That being said, if he gets caught again, he loses 10 games and at that point he's showing he clearly doesn't give a crap, and it's time to find someone to trade with for him.

The only thing I really am not happy with Larry for is keeping JOB. But at the same time, I can see it makes sense for financial reasons.

McKeyFan
09-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Dwyer may be clever enough to create that title on purpose.

Aw Heck
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
This reads to me like an "oh crap I have a deadline and I need something to write about" article.

The Pacers don't need Rush. He's terrible, and he's a pothead.

Kelly Dwyer clearly hasn't seen Brandon Rush play much. Granted, he's annoyingly passive on offense. But he's a good defender and a decent shooter. I guess that qualifies as "terrible" in Dwyer's book. Reading this, you would've thought that Rush has the skills of a benchwarmer. While I agree that the Pacers don't need Rush, I think he definitely belongs in the wing rotation.

Dwyer's correct in saying that Rush hasn't shown any flashes of becoming a consistent player since the end of his rookie year. But Dwyer doesn't seem to get much else right about him.

Bob Zeus
09-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Rush may not be the 'worst' or the 'most ineffective' but he isn't very good. The stats support that he hasn't lived up to his potential. Is that in spite of or because of the pot use? Who knows? And, who really cares? Let's dump him at the first opportunity and just move on. I'm not big on assigning blame but I am big on getting the job done. Rush will not be in the future of the Pacers. It doesn't really matter if he's a pothead, he just isn't getting it done on the court. We're still short at PG, SG and PF. Maybe we've solved the PG problem (and maybe we haven't). We'll know by Christmas.

bphil
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
People keep saying that Rush is a good defender, but he's never struck me as being anything more than average. I certainly don't remember him really shutting down any big time SGs... but I admittedly don't have the best memory. I know he was touted by Bird/Obie as a solid defender coming out of college... is he still living off that rep? Or has he genuinely proved his prowess in the NBA?

Rush is on the final year of his rookie contract, is he not? Can't the Pacers simply not resign him after this year? That seems like a great option to me... I'm super hyped on PGeorge and I think Dunleavy will be back to form, so Rush is expendable in my estimation...

pacergod2
09-02-2010, 11:46 AM
First? Nobody needs to read Dwyer. He's terrible, and he's a hypocrit. (He talks about pot too much to not know first hand.)

Second? How does Kelly Dwyer keep getting away with thoughtless articles, and keep a job?

The initial aspect can't be denied. It was bandied about on several sites last year that, of all the NBA writers in 2009-10, Dwyer was by far the most ineffective. Never delving deeper, in terms of research and accuracy, of all the writers this league has seen for decades, Dwyer was absolutely the pits. He just doesn't write ... anything. His articles have promised much, and delivered nothing. If this article was any indication, he needs to revisit his journalism books, because he has delivered nothing of substance.

FIXED!

This article was misdirected and misguided. I am not apologizing for Rush at all. What I am doing, however, is pointing out the superfluous writing and obtuse ideas he throws out there. He is associating Larry Bird with the brawl. He is associating him with the Al Harrington deal and forgetting about the JO trade. He calls Rush a loser and then backs off saying he prefers his players to smoke pot. How many second year players started for their teams last year? Not many. So being "the worst of the best" (NBA starters) is worse than being "the best of the worst" (all second year bench players)? I don't get it. I'm not saying Rush is some savior, but since when is a second year player condemned because he doesn't play like a ten year veteran?

This guy shows just how uninformed his opinion is by writing a lot of half truths to prove some point that really isn't even evident in the article. I was always told growing up that you will always be ignorant if you talk before you think things through. This is a clear case of ignorance and laziness. Put out something of value in the form of a challenge. These articles get you nowhere of value in an honest career.

naptownmenace
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Good call on Rush being one of the worst starting SGs in the NBA. Other than that, I didn't like the article.

He bashed Bird for Rush and Lance but gave him no credit in drafting Granger and Hibbert. I'd agree that Bird's job as a GM has been mediocre but his hand was forced by bad personnel decisions made by Donnie Walsh in his first few seasons as VP of Basketball Operations.

We'll see how this all plays out after this season is over. If the Pacers make the Playoffs and guys like Collison, Hibbert, and Hansbrough play up to their potential, Larry Bird will be praised.

Justin Tyme
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Rush is on the final year of his rookie contract, is he not?

Can't the Pacers simply not resign him after this year?

Rush isn't in his last year of his contract.

Rush's contract has TO years after this coming season which would allow the Pacers not to pick them up thus in essence not re-signing Rush. Why would you not just trade Rush and get some value out of him instead of not picking up a TO after this coming season?

naptownmenace
09-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Rush isn't in his last year of his contract.

Rush's contract has TO years after this coming season which would allow the Pacers not to pick them up thus in essence not re-signing Rush. Why would you not just trade Rush and get some value out of him instead of not picking up a TO after this coming season?

To free up more salary cap space to go after an impact free agent. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has been done.

bphil
09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
To free up more salary cap space to go after an impact free agent. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has been done.

Exactly. The only thing we would get for Rush in a trade is another garbage player with a longer contract. Why bother trading him? Just don't resign him and use that $$$ on someone else...

indyaway
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Rush had marginal trade value before. Now, he pretty much has none except as salary filler. Objectively, there is nothing special about his game that would lead a GM to take on his baggage versus lord knows how many tweeners available that play SG/SF/wing.

MLB007
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Except that he's a VERY good perimeter defensive player.
And the best team in the east has 3 all star perimeter players........

Bet you he does have interest from plenty of GM's.

Since86
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I just remembered this story that we discussed a few years ago.....

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/mb/?p=44

BornReady
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Rush twittering to a fan

http://twitter.com/IamThaKing25/status/22816239515
I care. Just made a few mistakes n my life n that was a big one. I just hope ppl can get passed it.

Speed
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Rush twittering to a fan

I care. Just made a few mistakes n my life n that was a big one. I just hope ppl can get passed it.

That's really all I ask as a fan, be contrite, want to do the right thing from here on out.

It's not what you say though, it's what you do. If going forward he does correct his mistake(s), I have no problem with it. Just my opinion.

Curious though, what was the question that he was asked?

BornReady
09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
That's really all I ask as a fan, be contrite, want to do the right thing from here on out.

It's not what you say though, it's what you do. If going forward he does correct his mistake(s), I have no problem with it. Just my opinion.

Curious though, what was the question that he was asked?

Dude Please dont give this team a bad image! We arent thugs! Act like you care! Pacers have Passion and Pride for the game!!

pacergod2
09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Dude Please dont give this team a bad image! We arent thugs! Act like you care! Pacers have Passion and Pride for the game!!

I am with Speed on this one buddy. Just because the dude smokes pot doesn't mean he is a bad person or a thug. He is a laid back guy in the first place and probably smoking pot is more conducive to his personality than drinking is. You are being naive to think that 85% of the NBA players aren't at least casual users of marijuana. Brandon should cut back to occasional use during the year, where it wouldn't effect the test results and use it during the summer at most. I think he should quit altogether since his usage now has been made public. I am sure there are plenty of people on this board that like a drink or two or a puff or two every now and then, and to be honest that is no different than the people in the NBA. Nobody really cares if you or I get caught because nobody knows who we are. There is no malintent from Brandon and that is what matters. I still think he is a quality person even if he gets high.

Have you ever seen the Arnold Schwarzenegger videos of him working out? After every workout, he would smoke weed to relax his muscles and help reduce some water weight. And now he is the Govern-a of Cali-forn-i-a.

BornReady
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I am with Speed on this one buddy. Just because the dude smokes pot doesn't mean he is a bad person or a thug. He is a laid back guy in the first place and probably smoking pot is more conducive to his personality than drinking is. You are being naive to think that 85% of the NBA players aren't at least casual users of marijuana. Brandon should cut back to occasional use during the year, where it wouldn't effect the test results and use it during the summer at most. I think he should quit altogether since his usage now has been made public. I am sure there are plenty of people on this board that like a drink or two or a puff or two every now and then, and to be honest that is no different than the people in the NBA. Nobody really cares if you or I get caught because nobody knows who we are. There is no malintent from Brandon and that is what matters. I still think he is a quality person even if he gets high.

Have you ever seen the Arnold Schwarzenegger videos of him working out? After every workout, he would smoke weed to relax his muscles and help reduce some water weight. And now he is the Govern-a of Cali-forn-i-a.

whoa whoa whoa relax! I didn't write it, I just saw it on the twitter! I'm just messenger boy..

BPump33
09-02-2010, 03:10 PM

This was the comment the fan made to Brandon.

ChicagoJ
09-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Rush twittering to a fan

That's very interesting. Not sure how I feel about that.

How can he prove he's gettting "passed [sic] it"?

BornReady
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
That's very interesting. Not sure how I feel about that.

How can he prove he's gettting "passed [sic] it"?

haha well, we don't know! he sure wants people to get passed it though :D
maybe if it never happens againnnn

bphil
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Rush twittering to a fan

For the record, Brandon, that wasn't one big mistake, it was three.

Justin Tyme
09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

You really think Rush's 2 mil is going to make an impact on getting a FA?? Just what mysterious "impact" FA, who is willing to come to Indiana, is it going to make a difference?

As much as I don't care for Bird FO abilities, even he isn't stupid enough to cut Rush after investing 3 years in him w/o getting something of value in a trade in return.

What some refuse to realize is that there is going to be a lockout next season, and Free Agency won't be something of a high priority when it happens. No FA can be signed until a new CBA is in place, so Rush's 2 mil becomes IRRELEVANT until a new CBA is signed.

Justin Tyme
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Exactly. The only thing we would get for Rush in a trade is another garbage player with a longer contract. Why bother trading him?

So Bird couldn't add Rush in a trade and get a good player in return, just garbage? Hum, that an interesting opinion, just not believeable but interesting.

Unclebuck
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
For the record, Brandon, that wasn't one big mistake, it was three.

He got caught three times. But the mistake wasn't getting caught it was the smoking in the first place and I guarantee it was more than 3 times.

That is like saying I made a mistake I cheated on my wife and was caught twice. When in actuality I cheated dozens and dozens of times

McKeyFan
09-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Brandon needs to give up pot, and he needs to go public with his intention to do so.

Otherwise, he will be accused of toking too much after every one of his lackluster games. He at least needs to be on the record that he has quit.

OakMoses
09-02-2010, 06:49 PM

It's actually a pun.

pacergod2
09-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Brandon needs to give up pot, and he needs to go public with his intention to do so.

Otherwise, he will be accused of toking too much after every one of his lackluster games. He at least needs to be on the record that he has quit.

Great point McKeyFan... I hinted at that in my post, that he should quit altogether. It would help his image and it would help his game. He could even do some work with DARE or whatever other youth anti-drug organizations there are in Indy. It would go a long way for his career to establish his stance of not doing drugs anymore. I absolutely agree that he should publicly (and not through twitter) apologize and let young people that look up to him know that he is quitting getting high.

At this point, I don't think many people actually care that he gets high, I think more people are disappointed about the stupidity of getting caught three times. A lot of that goes to show a lack of maturity. Brandon needs to display maturity with acknowledging the problem, apologizing, and making amends. It is the professional thing to do. If he can't figure that out with Earl Watson's tutelage then he is no better than the JR Smiths of the world.

NuffSaid
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
There are times when a journalist needs to be tough, hard core, and tell it like it is, and there are other times when a journalist goes overboard and blows things way out of porportion.

This is one of those times.

Granted, Brandon Rush messed up. He knows the NBA has a drug policy. He also had to know from witnessing what happened with a former teammate what happens with potheads once they get 3 or more strikes against them (re: David Harrison). This incident certainly doesn't help him, but I'm not ready to throw him completely under the bus just yet.

There have been other NBA players who have done alot worse and have rebounded from it, i.e., Carmello Anthony and his DUIs come immediately to mind. Still, this isn't something he nor the Pacers needed right now, not while they were on path to cleaning up the team's thug-like image. It was bad enough the franchise now has to deal w/Lance Stephenson's abuse charges. Now, they have to face Brandon's pot issue, too? Good thing this all happened during the summer! I can't imagine how things would be if they happened during the season!!

Part of me thinks if this is the worse trouble Brandon gets himself in we should all be thankful. He doens't come across as a person who embraces the "thug life". But then again, this incident could explain his "laid-back, lackadazicle attitude". So, maybe this was the eye-opening moment he needed. Who knows...

All I know is if this is the worse thing that happens to Brandon Rush throughout his NBA career and he uses it to conduct a self-check and recognizes only he has the power to take control of the situation and turn things around, we'll know his sincerity to the game, his team and to himself starting w/the 6th game of the 2010/2011 NBA season.