PDA

View Full Version : Granger can't wait to leave Europe

90'sNBARocked
09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/danny-granger-team-usa-fo_n_700457.html

Danny Granger, a stellar forward for the Indiana Pacers and member of Team USA, apparently can't wait for the FIBA World Championship tournament to end so he can leave Europe.

Granger tweeted after the team's narrow victory over Brazil that Europeans do not wear deodorant. He also said it smells like "dead donkeys."

Granger isn't the only NBA player who has made twitter news recently. Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony, who reportedly wants to leave Denver, had his twitter account hacked into on Saturday night.

"i'm dying over here.....how come nobody in Europe wears deoderant? Guess they didnt get the memo" - Twitter

I thought that was funny

Justin Tyme
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a news flash for Granger, it's that way in many parts of the world.

El Pacero
09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
The backlash on Twitter from Europeans was pretty crazy. DG ended up tweeting:

im from new orleans and it smells the same way so relax!!! talk about a post gone bad!

ksuttonjr76
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
The backlash on Twitter from Europeans was pretty crazy. DG ended up tweeting:

I follow his tweets, and I thought it was a bad tweet from the jump. Can you same damage control? Heck, he probably offended the people of New Orleans now.

Tom White
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/danny-granger-team-usa-fo_n_700457.html

Granger tweeted after the team's narrow victory over Brazil that Europeans do not wear deodorant. He also said it smells like "dead donkeys."

Yeah, well Danny, the Euros aren't the only ones stinking up the place over there. Have you watched any of your own game film?

90'sNBARocked
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Eric P in Naptown:
Steve, did you see Grangers comment about peope in Europe dont use deoderant? Thought it was funny

Steve Kyler:

Have you been to Europe?... its not a stretch.... Keep in mind he's in Turkey and they really don't use deodorant

Edu in Spain:
Hey! I'm from Europe and we DO use deodorant!

Steve Kyler:

Not saying everyone in Europe.. simply saying if you travel aboard deodorant use is not nearly as common as in the US... there are lots of people in the US that don't use deodorant too

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1137&status=Active#ixzz0yIFugahv

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1137&status=Active#ixzz0yIFh6pkX

90'sNBARocked
09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah, well Danny, the Euros aren't the only ones stinking up the place over there. Have you watched any of your own game film?

Good point,

I always thought of DG as a better player than Rudy Gay, yet the USA coaching staff doesnt believe so

Is Gay now better than Granger?

also

Brett in Nap Town:
In your opinion can Larry Bird restore the Pacers to where they once were?
Steve Kyler:

Not without Reggie Miller... I like where this team is headed... but they have a lot of average players... Danny Granger is good, but he's not a superstar that can carry a team.

I think the real question is, is Jim O' Brien the right coach?... to that I think the answer is no
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1137&status=Active#ixzz0yIGTIq1y

BRushWithDeath
09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact he isn't playing.

righteouscool
09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure he was joking.

Peck
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I saw his tweet and replied "are you sure you aren't smelling your defensive effort?" but I deleted it before I sent it.

dohman
09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Cmon guys... It was a joke, it was funny, its okay to laugh.

I saw this earlier and almost posted it but I didnt in fear of getting yelled at that this did not deserve its own thread.

Is Danny better than Rudy. In the NBA yes, in his system yes. He has been playing for JOB for years and its hard to just up and change your style of basketball.

His bad play over there has nothing to do with him more than it does his personal rythm. With limited minutes he sees the ball less and less and it can be hard to get into the swing of things on the fly. Once the NBA season starts back up all will be back to normal and the players that are playing above him will also be below him in the scoring rankings.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm European, and I laughed.

Danny has stated many times how much he loves Europe (Italy, Spain, etc.) so it's not that big of a deal.

Magic P
09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
People need a sense of humor. Only stinky Europeans will get mad at that.

90'sNBARocked
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I would hate to think Granger has regressed. When Rudy Gay was a restricted free agent all the talk was he wasnt worth a max contract, yet either Grnager has been underwhelming, Gay has improved that much, or Dnny's regressing

I thought , considering the lack of PF's DAnny would get a lot more playing time

BornReady
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I feel like that's something a little kid would get offended about...not grown ups. I mean, seriously? Boohoo you say I smell like a dead donkey!

15th parallel
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
It's just some random observation, and probably just a dry joke. Let's not be too critical about that.

Kstat
09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Just curious, if an NBA player made the comment about people in Indiana, would you be as forgiving?

CableKC
09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Anyone else find it odd that this particular comment was picked up by the Huffington Post...a website that is usually devoted to politics?

Trader Joe
09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Just curious, if an NBA player made the comment about people in Indiana, would you be as forgiving?

We ain't got dem newfangled tachnologeees here like deodarant or runnin' water.

Since86
09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Well, I can't think of one person who doesn't wear deodorant, so I would question where he was hanging out.

But if he was driving through rural counties and made a comment about the places stinking like livestock, like he passed CAFOs, then no. They do stink.

If you don't want people commenting on your body odor, or get upset when they do, then wear deodorant. Obviously they don't care that they stink, or they would wear it.

If I don't wash my hair for prolonged periods of time, I have nothing to stand on when someone calls me a grease-ball. It might not be polite, but if I didn't want to be called it, I would shower.

Pure hypothetical....

Since86
09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
We ain't got dem new fangled tachnologeees here like deodarant or runnin' water.

:laugh: What in the world is fangled?

BornReady
09-01-2010, 02:15 PM

People in Indiana generally use deodorant, so this question is irrelevant :D

CableKC
09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
:laugh: What in the world is fangled?
Maybe he means "fandangled"?

Trader Joe
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Apparently it's one word...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/newfangled

Unclebuck
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Are you serious you have never heard fangled or usually newfangled.

I have heard that for years.

if you are trying to mock a hayseed you might say I'm not aware of the new fangled 'puter

Kstat
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I'll admit Indiana is the only place I've ever seen 75-year old women in skin-tight blue jeans...

other than that, nothing much stuck out to me in my visits to Indianapolis, outside of demographics.

Unclebuck
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I'll admit Indiana is the only place I've ever seen 75-year old women in skin-tight blue jeans...

other than that, nothing much stuck out to me in my visits to Indianapolis, outside of demographics.

yeah, you must have seen the only 75 year old woman in the whole state who wears skin-tight jeans

Since86
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Are you serious you have never heard fangled or usually newfangled.

I have heard that for years.

if you are trying to mock a hayseed you might say I'm not aware of the new fangled 'puter

Dead serious, and I'm from a very rural county with a lot of "rednecks" or so my friends from larger places like to call me.

Unclebuck
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Dead serious, and I'm from a very rural county with a lot of "rednecks" or so my friends from larger places like to call me.

Maybe it is used in the city to mock those that live in the "country"

I'm not really sure.

Kstat
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM

It's one of them high-dollar words....

spreedom
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
He really can't wait to come home because he left one of his most prized possessions in Indiana... his game.

Basketball Fan
09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Anyone else find it odd that this particular comment was picked up by the Huffington Post...a website that is usually devoted to politics?

I see you haven't read the HP in a long time.... they've sold out and cover "everything"

Justin Tyme
09-01-2010, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Unclebuck;1057216]

I have heard that for years. /QUOTE]

Yep, same here. Seems like they have been around forever. They need to do some re-runs of Hee Haw, Petticoat Junction, or Green Acres so some can get "educated."

I warsh my thilthy clothes on Monday in the crick at Possum Hollar, and my arn'n dun on Tuesday. I'll git ar put in my tars so to go fish'n down at the lick at Frogtown after I weed my pineys, taters, and maters.

These are common words I grew up with! You can take the boy/girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy/girl. I still catch myself saying warsh/Warshington.

indyaway
09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
People in Europe wear deodorant, what they don't use is anti-perspirant. I stopped using AP a year ago and wish I had never started. The metals and chemicals in AP having nothing but harmful potential. Yes, at the tail end of a long day natural deodorants probably give away some odor protection that highly scented APs provide, but it's so not worth the health risk, IMO.

Noodle
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Lets see, it's Kstat. Must be talking about all those white people.

BornReady
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I see you haven't read the HP in a long time.... they've sold out and cover "everything"

lol probably a good thing. HP is about as good as Bleacherreport or Fox!

bellisimo
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
nothing like sticking to the stereotypes eh Danny?

pathil275
09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
The statement is clownish. All Europeans smell, all Americans know nothing about geography, and all Asians are 5 feet tall.

Seriously, why am I bothering at all..

Justin Tyme
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
People in Europe wear deodorant, what they don't use is anti-perspirant. I stopped using AP a year ago and wish I had never started. The metals and chemicals in AP having nothing but harmful potential. Yes, at the tail end of a long day natural deodorants probably give away some odor protection that highly scented APs provide, but it's so not worth the health risk, IMO.

Yep, I quit using any deoderant that is an AP years ago b/c of what you say. I don't drink anything out of aluminum cans anymore either. I'm so health conscious anymore... pass me another couple of creamed filled donuts to go along with a another pint of chocolate milk please. :D

Sookie
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Rudy had improved a ton last season, where as Danny was injured for most of the year. Kind of hard to compare.

McKeyFan
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
People need a sense of humor. Only stinky Europeans will get mad at that.

I think the problem is this includes most Europeans.

SoupIsGood
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
'Newfangled' is a newfangled word, apparently.

Kemo
09-01-2010, 11:37 PM
In regards to what Granger tweeted..
Maybe I have a dark sense of humor, but I found it hillarious.. not p.c. by no means, but the heck with being p.c.

But being a goodwill ambassador (aka bball player for our natl team) , if you will, representing the best of the best in the United States , you sometimes have to bite your lip ..
It's not a big deal, just an "open mouth , insert foot" moment ..

Mr. Granger... Just because you are thinking it , no matter how true it is, doesn't mean it may be the best thing to say out loud .. let alone for everyone in the world to read ...
haha

especially @ "dead donkeys" ..
What makes it so hillariously true for me , is I have EXPERIENCED that smell ..

It's like a combination of soy sauce ,dirty diaper, rotten feet , a$$ , onions... and a an unidentified smell that is sweetly repungent ... which by the way is what seemed to make my gag reflex tingle , making me nauseous..

I can totally relate , and I just say to you .... stick it out brother.. lolz

The Gold is worth it ....

Roaming Gnome
09-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Eventhough I'm sure DG was looking for humor more than to be malicious... It still wasn't a smart move, IMHO!

Shade
09-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Not if it was the truth.

Kstat
09-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Not if it was the truth.

....so you agree with what Granger said?

cdash
09-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Kstat always here to be the turd in the punch bowl!

Yeah, it is true. I think it's widely accepted that Europeans don't value hygiene as highly as Americans. The further east you go in Europe, the worse it gets.

We, as Hoosiers, don't get offended when people from abroad think of us all as farmers with pitchforks, or rednecks, or whatever else. Not a big deal imo.

Hicks
09-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Well, was he speaking the truth, or not? I've never been to Europe. I'd guess he's speaking of at least a half-truth, but for all I know he's making it all up.

imawhat
09-02-2010, 01:53 AM
It was nice to finally see Granger play a nice game today, as opposed to playing like a dead donkey.

DeS
09-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Well, Turkey isn't a typical Europe country. It's kind a mix of europe and muslim countries. So it's hard to judge about europeans being in Trukey.
Anyway, Danny of course was joking. I can't imagine that he could think and say it seriously.

daschysta
09-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Offensively at least granger hasn't been horrible like people are trying to make it seem in the tournament.

He has shot a good percentage and been productive when he has actually got minutes.

2 games where he got at least 15 minutes and he averages 10 pts. on around 60 percent field goal percentage.

3 assists was second on the team today despite limited minutes.

Other than spain who played a bad game against us and brazil the teams we have been playing have been second rate, we can choke them with defense and athleticism, but once we start playing better teams that will zone us properly I guarantee you Danny willl be getting more minutes.

Also in the one game he didn't play was ironically one where they really could have used him. If Kevin Durant wasn't on fire that game the US could have gotten blown out. Granger could have used at least 10 or 15 minutes in that one to give USA offense from somewhere, as opposed to guys like rudy gay, or andre igoudala putting up a grand total of four points in a whopping 40 minutes. (Though andres defense is consistantly good)

Danny is not such a bad defender that he throws the whole teams off, but the brazil game illustrated why having someone capable of scoring the ball consistantly other than just rose or durant is important.

Hopefully Coach K noticed it too (Granger got more burn vs. Iran so I guess he did :cool:)

Pacemaker
09-02-2010, 04:05 AM
I think Granger's tweet will be more memorable than his on-court production. What dumb a move? Why put yourself in this position?

bellisimo
09-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I lived all over the world and one fact is true: people smell everywhere.
In some areas the smell is more than others, but there is always a group that refuses to believe that soap is good for you.

However, having Granger group the whole "Europe" by saying "nobody" does it is the part that made this tweet unPC.

If he said some instead of nobody, this would've been a lot less "offensive" and more along the lines of truth.

Just one more reason why athletes should hire a PR person to tweet for them.

Foul on Smits
09-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Obvioulsly Granger shouldnt be on the pacers anymore. We've tried to hard to get past the Palace Brawl to have some punk 6'9 SF ruin all our progress by using the interwebs to say Europeans dont wear deoderant. This is an outrage! Europeans love deoderant to dammit!!!!!

I think he should be banished from the NBA. What do you guys think?

Kstat
09-02-2010, 06:16 AM
It was a stupid thing to say. Terribly offensive? No, but if you make blanket criticisms, eventually you're going to bite off more than you can chew.

I'm sure there are stereotypes about Indiana that some of you would laugh off, and others that you might take great offense to. I'd imagine it's that way anywhere in the world.

As far as the defense that, "he didn't say anything wrong because what he said was true," I'm fairly certain they do sell deodorant in Europe. There are other civilized parts of the world outside the United States.

This is all extremely minor in the grand scheme of things. What amazes me is that people are somehow incredulous that some Europeans would take offense to the stereotype that they have extremely poor hygiene...

McKeyFan
09-02-2010, 06:55 AM
It's like a combination of soy sauce ,dirty diaper, rotten feet , a$$ , onions... and a an unidentified smell that is sweetly repungent ... which by the way is what seemed to make my gag reflex tingle , making me

At least Granger didn't tweet your vivid description. :laugh:

The Gold is worth it ....

That's what she said.

Kemo
09-02-2010, 07:06 AM
At least Granger didn't tweet your vivid description. :laugh:

+100 :dance::dance:

90'sNBARocked
09-02-2010, 10:17 AM

You are an instigator and a little tattle tale, always stiring up the pot

Talking loud and signifying nothing!

Miller-Time
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
What an idiotic tweet. Never thought he`s such an idiot. Actually he WAS my favourite pacer on the team in recent past.
Itīs all over the media over here. Another horrible move by a pacer- it goes on and on and on.

indygeezer
09-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I saw his tweet and replied "are you sure you aren't smelling your defensive effort?" but I deleted it before I sent it.

Coward.

:laugh:

indyaway
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Bottom line, Danny should be smart enough to know that statements about smell have sadly been used historically to defame racial and ethnic groups. It's not just appropriate regardless of one's stance on the PC spectrum.

Since86
09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Bottom line, Danny should be smart enough to know that statements about smell have sadly been used historically to defame racial and ethnic groups. It's not just appropriate regardless of one's stance on the PC spectrum.

Really? Most Americans, and when I say most I mean probably 90+%, don't know about racial and ethnic stereotypes that go on across the Atlantic.

It's just not something that's discussed in everyday life, or even in the classroom at any level, atleast what I've been around. Outside of not knowing what newfangled means, I don't consider myself ignorant about issues either.

I seriously doubt Danny knows how that type of comment has been used historically. That kind of changes things a little bit for me. I can see where people would be offended, even if they didn't smell. But I don't believe Danny is/was aware of the history behind similiar remarks, so I really can't scold him for it. I don't think he was trying to be malicious at all.

Kstat
09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
You are an instigator and a little tattle tale, always stiring up the pot

Talking loud and signifying nothing!

Sorry to apply logic here. I know that's a foreign thing to you.

90'sNBARocked
09-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Sorry to apply logic here. I know that's a foreign thing to you.

Yawn , Yawn

Miller-Time
09-02-2010, 06:30 PM
By the way - Turkey is NOT even fully part of Europe (Country is not European Union)! How can one say so much nonsense in one tweet..

d_c
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
By the way - Turkey is NOT even fully part of Europe (Country is not European Union)! How can one say so much nonsense in one tweet..

Well, Switzerland isn't in the European Union either even though it's right in the middle of Europe.

You can define Turkey as part of Europe or Asia.

BornReady
09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I hope this thread is almost done running its course :D

Mourning
09-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Isn't that what Miller-Time said aswell when he wrote "Turkey is NOT even fully part of Europe"?

It's an ancient discussion though.

Either way, I think the remark was in poor taste just aswell as saying all Americans are fat. It's generalizing and thus grossly inaccurate. I can't really be bothered by it, except that I didn't expect this coming from Granger to be honest. Ah well...

Miller-Time
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, Switzerland isn't in the European Union either even though it's right in the middle of Europe.

Well I know. My point is, that Turks don`t actually share all the european values and the way of living just is not what most of europeans define as european. That`s also the reason why Turkey is not part of the EU despite all the willingness of the turks to become an EU member.
So saying "all europeans smell" is even more ridiculous when you consider, that Turkey is not even fully european. Switzerland is european no question, Turkey is just not european at all! I wouldn`t go as far as saying Turks smell, but one could see a point saying Turks do have a different way or habbit in using deodorant... Even if that would be true (which is not correct either in its generalizing), Dannys statement is just idiotic in many ways

Jackson-Shuffle
09-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Living in Germany right now, i would have to agree with danny for the most part, the younger generation know how to take care of themselves but the people over 30 mostly stink lol.

31andonly
09-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Living in Germany right now, i would have to agree with danny for the most part, the younger generation know how to take care of themselves but the people over 30 mostly stink lol.

What the... :hmm:

Drewtone
09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Well I know. My point is, that Turks don`t actually share all the european values and the way of living just is not what most of europeans define as european. That`s also the reason why Turkey is not part of the EU despite all the willingness of the turks to become an EU member.
So saying "all europeans smell" is even more ridiculous when you consider, that Turkey is not even fully european. Switzerland is european no question, Turkey is just not european at all! I wouldn`t go as far as saying Turks smell, but one could see a point saying Turks do have a different way or habbit in using deodorant...

So you're saying that all Anatolians smell??? :devil:

For the record, in Istanbul, one can sense a general dead donky fragrance, and to be geographically clear, the odor can be found on both the European and Asian sides of the city.

bellisimo
09-03-2010, 10:37 AM
there is plenty of reason politically and religiously why the Turks are not part of EU. But no need to muddy this thread more than it has been already...

whatever...ok fine we are all smelly people...lets just go and wash off all this mess.

90'sNBARocked
09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
there is plenty of reason politically and religiously why the Turks are not part of EU. But no need to muddy this thread more than it has been already...

whatever...ok fine we are all smelly people...lets just go and wash off all this mess.

I smell.........

and I dont give a (*&*^%

:)