PDA

View Full Version : 3rd PG options

Wylder1324
08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
If we are able to move TJ in what is hopefully a deal that sends out more players than we recieve we are going to be short at the PG position as most NBA teams ahve 3 PGs and I beleive Larry has stated in the past he likes to have 3 on the roster. Any ideas on options you would like ? I for one really like Patty Mills. He is playing very well for the Aussies right now in the worlds, he is young, lightning quick, has a nice passing game and also shoots it well from outside......I dont belive Portland picked up his option so he is a FA. Would love to bring in a guy who could figure into the long term like Patty.

bballpacen
08-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I dont see us moving TJ until the deadline, IF then... If it were possible, he would have been gone already...

Wylder1324
08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
I disagree, hard to tell whats going on in the NBA's trade market. In the weeks leading up to the Collison trade we all thought we woud have to find some FA scrub to sign as a stop gap PG this season because a big trade looked unlikely....to many variables to say its not gonna hapen

Jose Slaughter
08-31-2010, 01:30 AM
I dont see us moving TJ until the deadline, IF then... If it were possible, he would have been gone already...

The same thing could have been said about Murphy not too long ago.

With Collison & AJ both entering thier 2nd years, my guess is that Bird would look for an older vet that would not have a problem being a mentor more than anything else. Someone that could still get the job done should he need to step in but knows that he is here more to teach than to play.

bballpacen
08-31-2010, 07:25 AM
The same thing could have been said about Murphy not too long ago.

With Collison & AJ both entering thier 2nd years, my guess is that Bird would look for an older vet that would not have a problem being a mentor more than anything else. Someone that could still get the job done should he need to step in but knows that he is here more to teach than to play.
The difference between TJ and Murph is that Murphy was actually productive... While it is possible that we are able to strike a deal, it is highly unlikely to occure prior to the season, and most likely nearing the deadline... If for no other reason than TPTB being prudent...

I disagree, hard to tell whats going on in the NBA's trade market. In the weeks leading up to the Collison trade we all thought we woud have to find some FA scrub to sign as a stop gap PG this season because a big trade looked unlikely....to many variables to say its not gonna hapen
Even more variables to say that it will happen... Being the known quantity that TJ is, and with knowledge that he only has one year left on his deal, any interested parties out there would have inquired already... All of the planets aligned perfectly for us in the Collison trade... To expect the same to happen for a TJ trade is not realistic to me... Would I like to see it happen, sure if the deal is right, but IMO, it will not...

Putnam
08-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Wise words:

hard to tell whats going on in the NBA's trade market

Trophy
08-31-2010, 08:21 AM
If Lance stays, he'll probably be playing 3rd string or battling AJ for equal time, but if he goes, we only have 3 and TJ will be 3rd behind Darren and AJ.

MillerTime
08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
I agree....Lance is most likely going to be the 3rd option at PG....we should see Collison and Price be 1st and 2nd options, respectively, and Lance the 3rd option.

Though Lance did end up falling to the 2nd round, he was once compared to Wall and Mayo. I believe he's going to be an amazing talent. I could see him having a better rookie sesaon than George. George might have a better overall career, but I like how aggressive Lance was in the summer league. He didn't shy away from anything

MLB007
08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
If Lance stays, he'll probably be playing 3rd string or battling AJ for equal time,

That's not going to happen. ;)

Speed
08-31-2010, 09:35 AM
On a side note, the last 2.5 months of the season last year, DC averaged 39.6 minutes a game.

MillerTime
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
On a side note, the last 2.5 months of the season last year, DC averaged 39.6 minutes a game.

Hopefully that will be the case, but as we (Pacer fans) have seen before, injuries are a mo-fo

ninercolt
08-31-2010, 10:00 AM
So if we can't move TJ and he's on the roster to begin the season, as he likely will be, what's wrong with playing him off the bench at the 2? He can score; he just can't distribute. I think he would be a decent spark plug type option at shooting guard.

MillerTime
08-31-2010, 10:09 AM
So if we can't move TJ and he's on the roster to begin the season, as he likely will be, what's wrong with playing him off the bench at the 2? He can score; he just can't distribute. I think he would be a decent spark plug type option at shooting guard.

That will stunt the progress of Price. I think at this point, the Pacers should be more concerned about Price (their future backup) opposed to Ford (who has no future with this team)

Trophy
08-31-2010, 10:56 AM
That's not going to happen. ;)

What do you mean? :confused:

Wylder1324
08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Ok a few thoughts...

A - This was a hypothetical thread based on TJ being shipped out and needing to aquire a 3rd stringer......not a thread to debate whether TJ will be shipped out. Obviously TPTB are looking to move him so while some may not think its going to happen, its something the team is looking to make happen. That said, while it may be a hypothetical conversation, its not one thats outside the realm of possibilities.

B - I agree that it may be in TPTB's plans to get someone a bit older (I would still rather bring in someone like Mills in case Price either cant make it back effectively from ANOTHER knee injury, or in case he injures it AGAIN. However, anyone have any preferences on veterans PGs that could still contribute and be had on the cheap ?

C - I think that TJ can indeed distribute. He did it at the college level and he also did it at an NBA level before coming here. He is def a player that can, and often does look to score, but never before quite like he has done since being here. Ford I think is one of if not THE biggest victims of Jim O'Brien basketball. JOB has proven that he is not a flexible basketball mind, the players who have excelled in his system are the ones who already had the abilities to play to his strengths. Ford is not a consistent outside threat and has rarely had an inside presence to throw the ball into that can score. He ha da couple nice ast avg in Toronto as well as Milwaukee. Hell he avg 8 assists in 75 games in only 29 mins in Toronto....that is nothing to scoff at. What is bad for us is that he wasnt given the PT to show he can still play at that level (obviously he still can) so his value may not be as high to most teams. Lucky for us he also has the expiring deal which will hopefully help. I hate to beat and old dog here because I know it comes up to often....but JOB has truly been a bane on this teams existence. Obviously in the present he hasnt done much for us hence the record and lack of playoff births and for the future he hasnt developed young talent very well, not featured players that were prime trade bait well enough......many think Bird is a bad front office guy....I disagree I feel like from a player standpoint he has done a great job....he cant be blamed for players who have or have not worked out because of decisions they make.....the lone dark spot for me though is JOB still being here.....we simply MUST cut ties with him before seasons end....MUST

Wylder1324
08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
If we did that trade, which I dont hate then we would be sending 2 players essentially for none because we would likely waive Damp since his contract isnt guarenteed. That said we would then have 2 open roster spots, one for Magnum (who Im excited about) and another. Possibly a 3rd if we cut ties with Lance....which Im torn on, I need more info on the situation before I crucify the kid, but it doesnt look good. Even if we do keep him however I dont like him at PG regardless of how he played in summer league (which was only OK from a PG standpoint) That was nothing more than a marketing ploy in case we werent able to get a PG through a trade IMO.

count55
08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
As far as trading Ford goes. I still think there's teams out there. Just for example charlotte may be interested in ford, jones for dampier, but can't trade damp until sept 13. A trade like that saves the team money while still getiing production from tj and solo.

Charlotte can trade Dampier today, as long as it's by himself.

The deal you propose would be not be legal, because the salaries wouldn't fall within the 125% rule. It would work if you substituted Dahntay or Rush for Solo, then it could happen today.

However, once you factor in the luxury tax impact, this trade would cost Charlotte about $20 million in payroll, tax, and lost tax rebates. It would be a spine crushingly stupid trade for Charlotte. If I were the owner of the Bobcats, and my GM brought this trade to me, I would leap across the desk and kill him with a letter opener. Not a jury in the land would convict me.

However, Jordan is the owner and Brown is the coach, and this kind of idiocy remains within the realm of possibility.

Justin Tyme
08-31-2010, 01:40 PM

The deal you propose would be not be legal, because the salaries wouldn't fall within the 125% rule. It would work if you substituted Dahntay or Rush for Solo, then it could happen today.

However, once you factor in the luxury tax impact, this trade would cost Charlotte about $20 million in payroll, tax, and lost tax rebates. It would be a spine crushingly stupid trade for Charlotte. If I were the owner of the Bobcats, and my GM brought this trade to me, I would leap across the desk and kill him with a letter opener. Not a jury in the land would convict me.

However, Jordan is the owner and Brown is the coach, and this kind of idiocy remains within the realm of possibility.

I stated yesterday in the trade section that the Bobcats are 8 mil over the LT now, and that MJ said he wasn't paying the LT this year. Dampier won't be traded, but his unguaranteed contract will be cut in order for MJ to get below the LT.

naptownmenace
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
TJ is at his best when he's coming off the bench and providing an offensive spark. He's like Jason Terry with less range. If he's still on the team at the start of the season (which I doubt that he will be) he'll be the backup with AJ or Lance as the 3rd option.

Sookie
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
TJ is at his best when he's coming off the bench and providing an offensive spark. He's like Jason Terry with less range. If he's still on the team at the start of the season (which I doubt that he will be) he'll be the backup with AJ or Lance as the 3rd option.

AJ outplayed Ford pretty badly last season. And he's part of the team's future. It'd be pretty stupid to play Ford ahead of him. (Not that Jimmy won't do that..but....)

CableKC
09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

As a trading asset.....Does Dampier have more value for the Bobcats before or after September 12th ( I think when his contract becomes guaranteed )?

I can see the likely scenario that the Bobcats don't do anything and just let him clear from the 2010-2011 Salarycap....but it would make sense to see what ( if anything ) that they can get when his trade value is the highest ( whether it be before or after September 12th ).

MLB007
09-01-2010, 02:46 PM
What do you mean? :confused:

IF he's still in town, he'll not beat AJ out for minutes. But chances are he won't be in town. (run out)

MLB007
09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
If we did that trade, which I dont hate then we would be sending 2 players essentially for none because we would likely waive Damp since his contract isnt guarenteed. That said we would then have 2 open roster spots, one for Magnum (who Im excited about) and another. Possibly a 3rd if we cut ties with Lance....which Im torn on, I need more info on the situation before I crucify the kid, but it doesnt look good. Even if we do keep him however I dont like him at PG regardless of how he played in summer league (which was only OK from a PG standpoint) That was nothing more than a marketing ploy in case we werent able to get a PG through a trade IMO.

Naw, Larry really thought he was the 2nd coming of James White!! :p